Blowout Cards Forums
2024 Baseball

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > Topps Now & The Living Sets

Notices

Topps Now & The Living Sets Post your Topps Now Hobby Talk

Old 11-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #19151
mlbexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousrmb View Post
Topps couldn't care less about resale. They don't see that money.

As long as every release sells out, they will keep raising prices until they find the limit. They don't care if the collector base is only 2 guys, as long as every card sells.
But even the top spenders may eventually see that they can only get 10cents on the dollar if no one else collects Topps Now. You need people collecting to legitimize the money that’s spent. Even when I’m collecting for my PC, I don’t want to buy something that I think is worth significantly less than i paid.
mlbexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #19152
YankeeRic

Just a /99 Judge for me today. That dual 1/1 price was ludicrous though
Old 11-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #19153
kpete42

The fact that I'm already waiting for three other Judge auto cards to arrive, including the 50th homer auto card, makes passing today easier.
kpete42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #19154
YankeeRic

Surprised neither solo 1/1 has sold yet. Maybe there's a bit of over-saturation going on here.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #19155
notoriousrmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbexpert View Post
But even the top spenders may eventually see that they can only get 10cents on the dollar if no one else collects Topps Now. You need people collecting to legitimize the money that’s spent. Even when I’m collecting for my LC, I️ don’t want to buy something that I think is worth significantly less than I️ paid.
When you are catering to a group that has significantly more disposable income than most casual collectors (and good for them!) then the potential loss in value doesn't seem like much to them as it would to us.

Besides, I assume most of the big spenders continue to spend big to stay in the Platinum club. The perks from having those bonus cards far outweigh the slight drop in secondary market value some of these other cards will see.

You'd care less about your $100 card falling to $75 if you knew by buying 4 more you'd get some exclusive autos of top players. I'd assume for them its similar, just add a 0 at the end of those numbers!
notoriousrmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #19156
mlbexpert

The fact that all solo parallels including 1/1s for Judge and Bellinger are still available after 25 mins is unprecedented this season.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #19157
notoriousrmb

Quote:
The fact that all solo parallels including 1/1s for Judge and Bellinger are still available after 25 mins is unprecedented this season.
Doesn't matter if they sell in 15 mins or 15 hours, as long as they all sell, Topps priced them right and would have 0 motivation to lower prices going forward.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #19158
BigEd

Quote:
When you are catering to a group that has significantly more disposable income than most casual collectors (and good for them!) then the potential loss in value doesn't seem like much to them as it would to us.

Besides, I assume most of the big spenders continue to spend big to stay in the Platinum club. The perks from having those bonus cards far outweigh the slight drop in secondary market value some of these other cards will see.

You'd care less about your $100 card falling to $75 if you knew by buying 4 more you'd get some exclusive autos of top players. I'd assume for them its similar, just add a 0 at the end of those numbers!
Yeah, but we're not talking.a 25% drop here. When Topps failed to send me the Ballinger cycle purple auto and refunded my money, I picked one up for less than 1/2 the price. From what I've seen, most of the Platinum buyers aren't seeing financial gain, but instead collecting gain.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #19159
BigEd

Quote:

Yeah, but we're not talking.a 25% drop here. When Topps failed to send me the Bellinger cycle purple auto and refunded my money, I picked one up for less than 1/2 the price. From what I've seen, most of the Platinum buyers aren't seeing financial gain, but instead collecting gain.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #19160
yanman

I am trying to pick up the 4 card bundle, but keep getting an error. "There was an error processing your order. Please contact us or try again later."

Anyone else having issues?
yanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #19161
notoriousrmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
Yeah, but we're not talking.a 25% drop here. When Topps failed to send me the Bellinger cycle purple auto and refunded my money, I picked one up for less than 1/2 the price. From what I've seen, most of the Platinum buyers aren't seeing financial gain, but instead collecting gain.
May be true and time will tell, but as of now, everything is still selling out so until that doesn't happen, prices will continue to rise.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:02 PM   #19162
mlbexpert

Quote:
Doesn't matter if they sell in 15 mins or 15 hours, as long as they all sell, Topps priced them right and would have 0 motivation to lower prices going forward.
If people stop buying base because they can’t afford the autos then I disagree. But no idea if that would make people not buy base.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:06 PM   #19163
Platman

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeRic View Post
Surprised neither solo 1/1 has sold yet. Maybe there's a bit of over-saturation going on here.
WHAT I WAS JUST TYPING:
Combine that with the post earlier stating a ton of unsold 1/1 are still sitting on the bay rotting... those won't go anywhere. Wonder if we will see price changes magically appear this evening or overnight?

JUST AS I WAS HITTING POST:
1/1s both sold out.

D'OH!
Platman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:06 PM   #19164
notoriousrmb

Quote:
If people stop buying base because they can’t afford the autos then I disagree. But no idea if that would make people not buy base.
I've stopped buying base for all but the most significant cards, not due to the price of autos, but because so many auto/relic cards exist.

My opinion, and not speaking for anyone else here, but the auto cards are making most of the base irrelevant. Why would I buy one of the 30 Judge RC's this year when I can just buy one or two autographed versions?

I mentioned it early on when we started seeing more auto/relic cards drop, the base will soon become irrelevant to more people. Not saying they won't be bought at all, but I personally think many buyers will cut back knowing auto versions are being made for big events.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:06 PM   #19165
AllRise
Banned - PBM

Judge /99 Gone
AllRise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:12 PM   #19166
douggoodman

Many of you guys think too much.

All these cards are pure profit base / auto / relic (minus manufacturing, cost of base / jersey, cost of auto, of course).

They only make as many as are sold, if they don't "sell out" of auto / relics (have any ever not sold out?) they factor that into their thinking about price on the next similar offering. They aren't stuck holding the unsold ones, because (in theory) they don't actually make them.

Either way they make a boat load of money. And they only care about resale from the view point of charging as much as they can get away with to start.

Both 1 of 1 cards are now gone...

Doug
douggoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:14 PM   #19167
ACCDADEAL

I keep getting ERROR when processing!!
Old 11-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #19168
AllRise
Banned - PBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCDADEAL View Post
I keep getting ERROR when processing!!
keep hitting place order and it will eventually go through... i had to do it around 15 times for one of my orders today...
Old 11-14-2017, 02:31 PM   #19169
joejoemay

I love the speculation here on no one wanting the base cards...keep sending them my way! I've not read but the last page so far today so I will chime in a little more later but am actually setting up my new office/Topps Now room and I love these cards more and more. I also believe it is not just a few of us collecting...As for todays cards I passed on the /5 as I was certain they where going to be crazy pricey and as mentioned the autographs just won't flip and I want to have value in my collection. People ask $10K on ebay for these /5 and /1 but they are just /gold and /orange to me. I'd rather have a /99 and save the money for more base cards that do actually flip. the /orange just doesn't look that good to me (except the Astros cards) though it is better then the /purple the price doesn't justify it for me for non-pack pulled rare cards. I did grab the /blue solos as I think they look sharp with both players vs getting a /plain. I just can't see paying more for /color...
FYI I did flip a /purple Judge 50th HR for a profit. So people will pay about a grand for these so the price is right...just not for flipping (as I beat that dead horse again!)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ToppsNow
joejoemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #19170
ACCDADEAL

I got a Bellinger Auto /49 and Judge Auto to /25 been waiting on these ROY a while so happy I got em, but the duals were too pricey
Old 11-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #19171
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

Some of you guys are acting like the relic and auto cards are the only relevant collecting aspects to Topps Now. The folks who are most active in this thread day in and day out seem to be mostly focused on the limited auto and relic cards, but there is a whole lot larger collector base out there who focus a lot on building sets primarily of base cards.

I’m one of them. I try to get all of the Cubs base cards and have done that for two years now. I’ve gone back and picked up a few graded 2016 Cubs WS autos, but I wasn’t initially interested in those. Only non-base card I’ve ever bought directly from Topps is Bubble Baez from a few weeks ago. And only non-base card I regret not buying from Topps is the Bryant/Rizzo Game 7 dual auto relic from last November.

I would never tell anyone else what or how to collect. I can only speak for what I do and why, and I realize there are an infinite array of legit collecting perspectives and approaches. From my point of view, having a complete base set is the most critical thing, and I think that the autos and relics are so overdone now that their retained value, by and large, won’t justify even the direct from Topps prices. First appearance premium cards and WS victory premium cards and significant record breaker or career milestone premium cards of likely HOFs, probably, but not your average in-season accomplishment or Game 4 of NLDS accomplishment premium cards.

But if others want to focus only on those cards, cool by me. But if you do have that intense focus, don’t assume that it’s the only collector lifeblood of the line. There’s obviously a much broader appetite for many base cards out there, which you can see from print runs for cards of the more popular teams and the volume of such cards that are selling on eBay every single day.

All of that said, my appetite for base card set building going forward is being seriously tested by how shamefully Topps is already starting to try to milk this line. They are just creating way too many cards now, some of which just seem crassly unnecessary, and so I may just call it good with 2016 and 2017, rather than getting a couple months into a 2018 set and feeling like I’m then stuck just buying whatever ridiculous crap they churn out. Or, I may just buy the pre-season and any postseason sets for my team going forward.

It’s a really cool concept that I have greatly enjoyed so far, but they are going to quickly abuse it and ruin it for me.

Last edited by Darth Bryzzo; 11-14-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Darth Bryzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:39 PM   #19172
AllRise
Banned - PBM

Judgement Day indeed as almost all of his are gone now...
Old 11-14-2017, 02:39 PM   #19173
YanksBillsFan

Picked up a Judge auto. This was the card I was waiting on after missing out on the 50 HR auto. Loved the design and the price was expected.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:39 PM   #19174
okumeister

I personally like both solo auto designs today.
The "ROOKIE OF THE YEAR" design goes well with the "50"the HR card released earlier ago for Judge.

The dual #/25 and Judge solo #/99 were already sold out when I checked the website, so bought Judge solo #/49 (would probably have passed on the dual anyways with that price, but my mind might have worked differently if it was not shown "out of stock").
Would probably have had a chance to get the #/49 for less than $300 if I had waited patiently for the right timing/listing on eBay later on, but I thought to secure the card now for this one.

Bellinger, I'm just not a fan of his sig...
I think his sig is really sloppy and not appealing to my eyes.

Last edited by okumeister; 11-14-2017 at 02:42 PM.
okumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:46 PM   #19175
notoriousrmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bryzzo View Post
Some of you guys are acting like the relic and auto cards are the only relevant collecting aspects to Topps Now. The folks who are most active in this thread day in and day out seem to be mostly focused on the limited auto and relic cards, but there is a whole lot larger collector base out there who focus a lot on building sets primarily of base cards.

I’m one of them. I try to get all of the Cubs base cards and have done that for two years now. I’ve gone back and picked up a few graded 2016 Cubs WS autos, but I wasn’t initially interested in those. Only non-base card I’ve ever bought directly from Topps is Bubble Baez from a few weeks ago. And only non-base card I regret not buying from Topps is the Bryant/Rizzo Game 7 dual auto relic from last November.

I would never tell anyone else what or how to collect. I can only speak for what I do and why, and I realize there are an infinite array of legit collecting perspectives and approaches. From my point of view, having a complete base set is the most critical thing, and I think that the autos and relics are so overdone now that their retained value, by and large, won’t justify even the direct from Topps prices. First appearance premium cards and WS victory premium cards and significant record breaker or career milestone premium cards of likely HOFs, probably, but not your average in-season accomplishment or Game 4 of NLDS accomplishment premium cards.

But if others want to focus only on those cards, cool by me. But if you do have that intense focus, don’t assume that it’s the only collector lifeblood of the line. There’s obviously a much broader appetite for many base cards out there, which you can see from print runs for cards of the more popular teams and the volume of such cards that are selling on eBay every single day.

All of that said, my appetite for base card set building going forward is being seriously tested by how shamefully Topps is already starting to try to milk this line. They are just creating way too many cards now, some of which just seem crassly unnecessary, and so I may just call it good with 2016 and 2017, rather than getting a couple months into a 2018 set and feeling like I’m then stuck just buying whatever ridiculous crap they churn out. Or, I may just buy the pre-season and any postseason sets for my team going forward.

It’s a really cool concept that I have greatly enjoyed so far, but they are going to quickly abuse it and ruin it for me.
Just curious, how often do you buy non-Cubs base cards?