Blowout Cards Forums
Wave 12

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 11-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #26
Patsfan

Just listed a big lot of mine on LetItGo yesterday. Hopefully they'll be gone as quick as your were. Congrats!!
Patsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:47 PM   #27
mrmopar

$75 for a 5K box is pretty stellar, especially if it was stripped clean for the most part.
mrmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:23 PM   #28
NMCBravesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthenrichs View Post
This is why Iím hesitant to unload my commons as well, Iíve got 50,000 Iíve combed over multiple times for comc stuff and thought I might get $100-200 on Craigslist for the rest but worried about thievery or shenanigans, even if meeting in a public place, heck, just the other day someone nearby my area was held up after meeting for a craigslist sale of an Xbox.
Always ask them to meet you at a police station. Some police stations even have a designated area inside for doing this kind of thing. If the interested person really just wants to buy your stuff then they shouldn't have a problem with it.

If I'm selling a card and I get a message saying "What's your low" I will not respond. That's not how offers work.
NMCBravesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:10 AM   #29
theflushingmets

some of you guys are wild paranoid. 5000 ct. boxes of common baseball cards aren't an iPhoneX. Who is really going to stick a gun in your face for 500 lbs worth of junk baseball cards? like, what are they gonna do? Pick up the boxes with one hand and load them into a car while theyre watching you with a gun? Furthermore, you think someone would actually shoot you because you were a witness to their face and presumably crappy hyundai?
Also looking for Any cool Matt Moore cards i don't already have, plus newer Mets stuff.
theflushingmets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #30
LC2nine10

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflushingmets View Post
some of you guys are wild paranoid. 5000 ct. boxes of common baseball cards aren't an iPhoneX. Who is really going to stick a gun in your face for 500 lbs worth of junk baseball cards? like, what are they gonna do? Pick up the boxes with one hand and load them into a car while theyre watching you with a gun? Furthermore, you think someone would actually shoot you because you were a witness to their face and presumably crappy hyundai?
Based on current events, yes.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #31
BravesFan4Life

Quote:
its not paranoia, people will do some crazy stuff if they can get it for free. If it was a card show its different but how many times have random people met up on craigslist and something funky happened? Often enough to not take the risk.
BravesFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #32
Donovan

Quote:
This is why Iím hesitant to unload my commons as well, Iíve got 50,000 Iíve combed over multiple times for comc stuff and thought I might get $100-200 on Craigslist for the rest but worried about thievery or shenanigans, even if meeting in a public place, heck, just the other day someone nearby my area was held up after meeting for a craigslist sale of an Xbox.
Most that rob are doing so for quick cash items. Pawn shop/flea market items. Tools, precious metals, phones, video games etc. Not commons of baseball cards.

I sell on CL, OfferUp and Letgo regularly. Have had a several hundred transactions over the years. (Used to buy storage units and had a B&M store). Never been robbed. *knock on wood* I used to meet up at my house for all transactions until someone mentioned while at my house "I see you have a lot of items on Craigslist, you must have good security". Within a week we opened a store.

What I do-
Get as much info as possible. I make contact via email and phone. Get a name. Research their profile (applicable on OffferUP & Letgo). For CL I search their email/name. Many times I find their FB/IG or post on a MB talking about their hobby etc.

Someone always knows where I went and the other parties info. Bring a buddy when I did not feel secure.

Bring a weapon. I'm not allowed to have a gun but when my wife goes with she brings hers. Once when I was buying a few hundred in silver, the guys buddy in the car seemed nervous/anxious. My back was never to them and I kept touching my bulging side (intentionally making it look like I was checking my weapon). It was a sheathed knife, but better than nothing.

Arrive later than them. Even if I'm "first" I wait until they notify me they're there and I drive around their car looking to see how many people, size them up, look for people hiding to ambush.
Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:11 PM   #33
RollTribe

Quote:
I agree with this.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:32 PM   #34
Corky

This past summer I donated about 10k and it was nice to move them on.

http://real-corky.deviantart.com/gallery/
Corky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #35
scotthenrichs

I guess it wasnít the commons themselves Iím worried about getting held up over, itís if someone picked them up st my house they see I have a collection thatís worth breaking in for at a later time. And meeting up with them somewhere means hauling hundreds of pounds of card boxes somewhere and thereís a 50/50 chance they show with money and actually make the sale.
scotthenrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:57 AM   #36
jhssketchcards

Everything sells? Commons? I canít sell my large inventory of Baseball and football inserts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jhssketchcards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:09 AM   #37
premium1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhssketchcards View Post
Everything sells? Commons? I canít sell my large inventory of Baseball and football inserts.

If there is no demand it probably means you are asking too much.
premium1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:11 AM   #38
jhssketchcards

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium1981 View Post
If there is no demand it probably means you are asking too much.

Maybe. For NFL, I have over 2,000 insert, Parallel, SP, Refractor, etc. from various years and all licensed. Itís mixed with stars, HOF, and some Rookies. There are lesser stars and some scrubs but every single card is a non Base card. They arenít common and there are a lot of cards that would sell for even $5 or more I just donít ha e time to sort and list. With baseball I have probably 2x that with inserts from sets like GQ, AG, Topps, etc. small percentage is Donruss. Basically if I busted product, I took out PC guys, autos, GU, SSP etc and all others went in there. I understand Iím not gonna get $1-2 per card for that large a lot, but Iíve asked .15 per. With baseball Iíve asked .12 per for a higher quantity. If there were an easier way to sell I would.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #39
Donovan

Quote:
I guess it wasnít the commons themselves Iím worried about getting held up over, itís if someone picked them up st my house they see I have a collection thatís worth breaking in for at a later time. And meeting up with them somewhere means hauling hundreds of pounds of card boxes somewhere and thereís a 50/50 chance they show with money and actually make the sale.
Don't invite them in your house and keep your teeth together about your collection. Meet them on your porch. "These were my brothers cards, I looked up most online and they appeared to be commons and minor stars."
Old 11-13-2018, 02:18 PM   #40
Bowman1951

Quote:
Maybe. For NFL, I have over 2,000 insert, Parallel, SP, Refractor, etc. from various years and all licensed. Itís mixed with stars, HOF, and some Rookies. There are lesser stars and some scrubs but every single card is a non Base card. They arenít common and there are a lot of cards that would sell for even $5 or more I just donít ha e time to sort and list. With baseball I have probably 2x that with inserts from sets like GQ, AG, Topps, etc. small percentage is Donruss. Basically if I busted product, I took out PC guys, autos, GU, SSP etc and all others went in there. I understand Iím not gonna get $1-2 per card for that large a lot, but Iíve asked .15 per. With baseball Iíve asked .12 per for a higher quantity. If there were an easier way to sell I would.
You sound like the perfect candidate to get a COMC account going.
Bowman1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #41
jhssketchcards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman1951 View Post
You sound like the perfect candidate to get a COMC account going.

Iíve read about it but man it just seems complicated having to go in and manage all the prices. Iíve Berber done it so not sure if Iím over complicating things

Old 11-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #42
Bowman1951

Quote:
Iíve read about it but man it just seems complicated having to go in and manage all the prices. Iíve Berber done it so not sure if Iím over complicating things

Set it and forget it, maybe check in once every few weeks. It's really not all that difficult once you get the first few priced.

Once you have some sales rolling in, decide to run a sale here and there. It really isn't that much work in the end, you can put in as much time or as little time as you want.
Bowman1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:33 PM   #43
jhssketchcards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman1951 View Post
Set it and forget it, maybe check in once every few weeks. It's really not all that difficult once you get the first few priced.

Once you have some sales rolling in, decide to run a sale here and there. It really isn't that much work in the end, you can put in as much time or as little time as you want.

Ok I will check that out. In the meantime maybe someone will swoop in and save the day and take em all! Lol

Old 11-13-2018, 10:45 PM   #44
quorthon13

Quote:

Ya, in that quantity you are unlikely to get that much per card. It sounds a lot like a mostly inserts/stars lot i bought recently, was about 5,000 cards for $100.

If you really want to sell as a lot I would take out any $5 cards or anything with individual value, and then sell the rest of the lot at a lower amount per card.

To compare it to true commons lots - I bought a lot of around 30k junk era mostly commons for $20..... THE SELLER CAME OUT AHEAD!!!!

OP did really well if he was really selling mostly commons
Old 11-13-2018, 10:54 PM   #45
LCM1223

Quote:
Everything sells? Commons?

Pretty much
LCM1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #46
chippv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
Most that rob are doing so for quick cash items. Pawn shop/flea market items. Tools, precious metals, phones, video games etc. Not commons of baseball cards.

I sell on CL, OfferUp and Letgo regularly. Have had a several hundred transactions over the years. (Used to buy storage units and had a B&M store). Never been robbed. *knock on wood* I used to meet up at my house for all transactions until someone mentioned while at my house "I see you have a lot of items on Craigslist, you must have good security". Within a week we opened a store.

What I do-
Get as much info as possible. I make contact via email and phone. Get a name. Research their profile (applicable on OffferUP & Letgo). For CL I search their email/name. Many times I find their FB/IG or post on a MB talking about their hobby etc.

Someone always knows where I went and the other parties info. Bring a buddy when I did not feel secure.

Bring a weapon. I'm not allowed to have a gun but when my wife goes with she brings hers. Once when I was buying a few hundred in silver, the guys buddy in the car seemed nervous/anxious. My back was never to them and I kept touching my bulging side (intentionally making it look like I was checking my weapon). It was a sheathed knife, but better than nothing.

Arrive later than them. Even if I'm "first" I wait until they notify me they're there and I drive around their car looking to see how many people, size them up, look for people hiding to ambush.
Why are you not allowed a gun?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #47
Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippv View Post
Why are you not allowed a gun?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
Domestic Violence.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:43 PM   #48
chippv