Blowout Cards Forums
pokemon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

Notices

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 06-16-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
hanes1111

Default Sportkings Upcoming

Is this a product worth a serious look. I know there stuff seems to sell pretty well but is it worth dropping 1k on for resale?
hanes1111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
mwheeler27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanes1111 View Post
Is this a product worth a serious look. I know there stuff seems to sell pretty well but is it worth dropping 1k on for resale?
It's worth the price to collect.

Series D will be the best release they have had.
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
mma138

the base checklist alone has me excited
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Cutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
It's worth the price to collect.
Depending on your financial situation...
Cutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
hanes1111

There stuff dosent seem to last long when it does come out so we shall see
hanes1111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
chefant73

when is the release date?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
Blake
Banned

The only thing SK does right is their cuts. Their new additions to Series D aren't too groundbreaking (except for Chamberlain and Ali).
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
mwheeler27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefant73 View Post
when is the release date?
July 15th is the release date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
The only thing SK does right is their cuts. Their new additions to Series D aren't too groundbreaking (except for Chamberlain and Ali).
You left some "right things" out that SK does. For instance, all of their autographs are 100% on-card. They have ZERO redemptions for those on-card autos. The product is extremely limited. Base sets sell for good money even though they have way less than 100 cards in their base set. Etc.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #9
Blake
Banned

Quote:
You left some "right things" out that SK does. For instance, all of their autographs are 100% on-card. They have ZERO redemptions for those on-card autos. The product is extremely limited. Base sets sell for good money even though they have way less than 100 cards in their base set. Etc.
It's not that hard to have no redemptions and all on-card autos when you release one product every year...
Old 06-21-2010, 06:18 AM   #10
mma138

Quote:

i guess it's not for everyone. but im a big fan of alot of the athletes used in this new edition. they have a very good variety from all kinds of sports
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:35 AM   #11
mwheeler27

Quote:
It's not that hard to have no redemptions and all on-card autos when you release one product every year...
#1. How would you know? Honestly, what are you basing your opinion on?

#2. SK puts out more than 1 product per year.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #12
Blake
Banned

Quote:
#1. How would you know? Honestly, what are you basing your opinion on?

#2. SK puts out more than 1 product per year.
#1. 1 year is more time than every other card company has with getting autographs. Companies like Topps, Panini, and UD deal with more athletes (all mostly active players BTW as opposed to SK, which has mostly retired players).

#2. They do? I think Creative Cardboard Concepts might put out 2 products a year, but they aren't Sportkings branded. One of these products is an all-memorabilia product! Shouldn't have a problem with redemptions there...
Old 06-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #13
mwheeler27

Quote:
#1. 1 year is more time than every other card company has with getting autographs. Companies like Topps, Panini, and UD deal with more athletes (all mostly active players BTW as opposed to SK, which has mostly retired players).

#2. They do? I think Creative Cardboard Concepts might put out 2 products a year, but they aren't Sportkings branded. One of these products is an all-memorabilia product! Shouldn't have a problem with redemptions there...
Your first answer doesn't explain how you would know how easy it is to get all on-card autos with zero redemptions. You're saying it's "easier" than the bigger companies, but those companies have a ton more employees to go along with those extra players. You still have no idea how hard or easy it is. At least not that I can tell from your posts.

Unfortunately, your second answer shows that you are uninformed. SK just released an all on-card auto product last week, and will release another all on-card auto product less than 1 month from today. Two in one month is probably better than any other company out there. I will admit that I'm uninformed when it comes to the other companies, so if there is one that releases two or more products containing all on-card autos with zero redemptions for those autos within 1 or 2 months of each other, please let me know. I'd love to check out their cards.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #14
rambel

Quote:

Wow. If this is your best argument, then I would prefer the other companies to only release 1 product a year to make sure every auto is on card and have no redemptions. That would also not water down the autos you get and actually have value in your cards.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #15
bprice
Manufacturer

Take it easy guys.

No need to argue about this issue. Sportkings is not for Blake, that's cool.

However, I'm sure Blake is not aware of how difficult "hard signed" autographs are to deliver.

Our group of companies does 14 releases per year, so the suggestion of one per year is just not true.

Products with NO REDEMPTIONS is something I am proud of and few companies can make that claim.

To say that we deal with retired players only is also not true, obviously Blake knows little about our hockey products.

Why debate this, Blake is entitled to his purchasing choices, everyone is but why discount the fact that Sportkings is hard-signed, no redemptions and contains the greatest athletes in their sports and tradition that Sport Kings Gum started in 1933.

Just my opinion.

Brian Price
bprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #16
chefant73

well you heard it from the horses mouth.........
Old 06-22-2010, 01:53 AM   #17
Blake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprice View Post
Take it easy guys.

No need to argue about this issue. Sportkings is not for Blake, that's cool.

However, I'm sure Blake is not aware of how difficult "hard signed" autographs are to deliver.

Our group of companies does 14 releases per year, so the suggestion of one per year is just not true.

Products with NO REDEMPTIONS is something I am proud of and few companies can make that claim.

To say that we deal with retired players only is also not true, obviously Blake knows little about our hockey products.

Why debate this, Blake is entitled to his purchasing choices, everyone is but why discount the fact that Sportkings is hard-signed, no redemptions and contains the greatest athletes in their sports and tradition that Sport Kings Gum started in 1933.

Just my opinion.

Brian Price
I was talking about Sportkings, the company that makes one product per year. CCC and ITG are 2 entirely different companies/groups. CCC releases 2 products a year, one with on-card autos (once again, key-word is one product this year to keep the autos on-card), and one with all memorabilia. ITG on the other hand DOES make a few products a year. Off the top of my head I come up with Superlative, Ultimate (is this yearly?), Between the Pipes, and Heroes and Prospects. However, these all have sticker autos, am I correct?
Old 06-22-2010, 05:33 AM   #18
pac213up

Quote:
I was talking about Sportkings, the company that makes one product per year. CCC and ITG are 2 entirely different companies/groups. CCC releases 2 products a year, one with on-card autos (once again, key-word is one product this year to keep the autos on-card), and one with all memorabilia. ITG on the other hand DOES make a few products a year. Off the top of my head I come up with Superlative, Ultimate (is this yearly?), Between the Pipes, and Heroes and Prospects. However, these all have sticker autos, am I correct?
This could turn into another long SK thread.

Last edited by pac213up; 06-22-2010 at 05:35 AM.
pac213up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #19
mwheeler27

Quote:
I was talking about Sportkings, the company that makes one product per year.
And this is why you're misinformed because this sentence is not accurate.

The makers of Sportkings are the very same makers of many other products. You even heard it directly from the owner of the company.

Your argument is equivalent to saying, "National Treasures only makes one product per year". While NT might only come out once per year, the company that produces it releases many other products.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #20
cruiserdaddy7

Well how about this argument. The last product this company released was garbage, meaning Ringside boxing. I wouldnt touch this product unless I was a fan of the company like above which is fine. Seeing what my 2k for the case of boxing garbage will get me in return, this company wont see my money on this release. And I thought UD was bad until I have seen these boxing break and return on investment. I get we dont break even or make on these things that often, but being almost ASSURED of losing 50-60% breaking the boxing is brutal. UD high end product and Topps provide far better value from a pricing standpoint. Why even argue about this product guys, dont buy the stuff and move on.
cruiserdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #21
gman71

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
Well how about this argument. The last product this company released was garbage, meaning Ringside boxing. I wouldnt touch this product unless I was a fan of the company like above which is fine. Seeing what my 2k for the case of boxing garbage will get me in return, this company wont see my money on this release. And I thought UD was bad until I have seen these boxing break and return on investment. I get we dont break even or make on these things that often, but being almost ASSURED of losing 50-60% breaking the boxing is brutal. UD high end product and Topps provide far better value from a pricing standpoint. Why even argue about this product guys, dont buy the stuff and move on.
Ringside is a GREAT product for a boxing fan like me. If you can't appreciate the cards then you won't appreciate the product.

How many MJ autos are on the market? How many Aaron Pryor autos are on the market? Night and day in comparing them and I'll gladly take what Ringside is putting out auto wise.

I'm halfway done with the silver version of the auto set and when displayed it'll look alot better than the mass produced crap UD & Topps has been feeding down peoples throats for the last few years.

I know what I'm getting when I open any of the KO/TKO product, you never know what you're getting with those good 'ol UD redemptions
gman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #22
mwheeler27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman71 View Post
Ringside is a GREAT product for a boxing fan like me. If you can't appreciate the cards then you won't appreciate the product.

How many MJ autos are on the market? How many Aaron Pryor autos are on the market? Night and day in comparing them and I'll gladly take what Ringside is putting out auto wise.

I'm halfway done with the silver version of the auto set and when displayed it'll look alot better than the mass produced crap UD & Topps has been feeding down peoples throats for the last few years.

I know what I'm getting when I open any of the KO/TKO product, you never know what you're getting with those good 'ol UD redemptions
Isn't it amazing that people just can't understand what you just said even though it's told to them over and over again? They think because they don't like a product because they have little clue how to make money on it, that everyone else must hate it too. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
Ringside Boxing is a great looking product, and there are many, many people that think so other than me. The athletes' autographed cards are rarer than most other modern day autographed products, and they are all on-card. To say it's garbage is simply not true and is laughable at best. Did you know that you don't have to spend $2K on a case? There is another version in which you can spend less than $1K on a case, and this version yields Muhammad Ali autographs as well. So let's see, spend less than $1K on a case, hit an Ali auto, sell it for more than $1K, have other cards left over...that equates to making money, and that is a fact.

Last edited by mwheeler27; 06-22-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #23
gman71

Even better, you take the mass produced autos out of anyone in Topps or UD today,and I'll gladly take autos of:

Jake LaMotta
Mike Tyson
Larry Holmes
Lennox Lewis
Joe Frazier
Pernell Whitaker
Mark Breland

Those 7 above are few & far between and I'll take pulling one of those over the 7000th auto of Kobe Bryant or Jason Kidd
gman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #24
Zerokruel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman71 View Post
Even better, you take the mass produced autos out of anyone in Topps or UD today,and I'll gladly take autos of:

Jake LaMotta
Mike Tyson
Larry Holmes
Lennox Lewis
Joe Frazier
Pernell Whitaker
Mark Breland

Those 7 above are few & far between and I'll take pulling one of those over the 7000th auto of Kobe Bryant or Jason Kidd
I'm allready buying another LaMotta to replace the one I sold you.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #25
cruiserdaddy7

LOL your comparing MJ and Pryor autographs are you guys serious? Its called supply and demand, and notice MJ outsells everyone but Ali in this product. For a boxing fan might be a cool product, but wouldnt you like some value included in relation to the secondary market? I bet Dr Price loves this product too. Nothing like getting $175 for a product and loading it with $40 worth of goods. We all know Wheeler idolizes Price and his products, but the reality is this product has no value compared to cost. You would have to buy 8-10 TKO CASES to hit that Ali, and once more hit that card wont bring what it is now so lets be real. Series D sportskings wont be any better. No wonder nobody will give this company a license.
cruiserdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote