Blowout Cards Forums
Breakers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > Sports & Politics

Notices

Sports & Politics This section is for all political sports talk. Regrettably we feel that in some instances there is no way to eliminate politics from football, basketball, and baseball hobbytalk. Do you pretend nothing is happening with the Warriors, Steelers, A's, etc? This section is for all political sports discussion. However, it is for civil discussion only. No insults aimed at members, political parties, or politicians will be tolerated. There is no warning. If you cannot be civil, you will lose your posting privileges on this site.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #76
Wade Mulroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray27Ray52 View Post
As I sat on the couch the other day with my wife I turned to her and said, "I'm going to switch it to espn, I guarantee something basketball related will be on." Even though basketball season is over and baseball is in full swing I knew it was a stone cold lock. What was on? NBA summer league highlights. Who actually gaf about summer league basketball?

Why is ESPN so obsessed with basketball?
Didn't they shell out tons of $$$ for a big-time deal with the NBA? If i remember correctly, that deal is what a lot of people contribute their financial struggles to... I guess if they paid for the rights, they're gonna make sure to cram it down everyone's throats.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #77
Wade Mulroy

A co-worker and myself also get cracked up at the NFL content they try to scratch up on a daily basis during the summertime. It's typically always on one of our TV's in the work lounge, and it's usually about some player's twitter post, fashion style, or domestic abuse.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #78
GeechQuest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEBEER View Post
Soccer is bottom of the totem pole. Why plaster it all over your site when it's obvious how unpopular it is? I'm assuming ESPN is showing all the games too?
The World Cup has been atop multiple TV rankings (both weekly and daily), since the event started.

People are watching it.

ESPN programs to the majority, not the minority.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #79
ILOVEBEER

The talk shows killed ESPN. They strayed away from live sports years ago. Now you can watch anything and everything on your phone or computer. It's like they are trying to make leftovers seem appetizing.

"Here's a bunch of NBA playoff post game interviews followed by Team Poland vs Team Denmark highlights. Then we'll preview our weekly depressing 10 minute documentary about a star athlete who lost everything after dropping out of high school and is now changing lives in his home town".
Old 07-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #80
Siberian13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeechQuest View Post
The World Cup has been atop multiple TV rankings (both weekly and daily), since the event started.

People are watching it.

The Atlanta soccer team has been a big hit here so far. Havenít been to a game but they say itís a fun experience.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #81
chugga15

Quote:

People are watching it.

Yep, I love watching the World Cup. Sad the United States didn't make the cut, but it has been a really entertaining World Cup. An England v. France final would be awesome.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #82
Siberian13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugga15 View Post
Yep, I love watching the World Cup. Sad the United States didn't make the cut, but it has been a really entertaining World Cup. An England v. France final would be awesome.
Wish it was Belgium and Croatia. But the more popular teams will probably be the matchup.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #83
ILOVEBEER

Quote:

People are watching it.

Yeah, nice false fact.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...htmlstory.html

Googled ratings and they all say ratings are down 35-40% since the last World Cup. Nobody cares about soccer. Even Nielson's Social Media followings have nothing about the World Cup.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #84
pgisback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian13 View Post
The Atlanta soccer team has been a big hit here so far. Havenít been to a game but they say itís a fun experience.
Been to some Sounders games. Not a fan of soccer, but it's actually far more fun than I thought it would be. I guess with how slow and boring the game is, you have to find ways to have fun in the stands some how.
Nikita Kucherov RCs/On Card Autos
Old 07-11-2018, 03:19 PM   #85
GeechQuest

Quote:
Yeah, nice false fact.

Googled ratings and they all say ratings are down 35-40% since the last World Cup. Nobody cares about soccer. Even Nielson's Social Media followings have nothing about the World Cup.
They’re down compared to last year when he US was in, and the games are still leading the ratings amongst other shows!

Apparently, people want to watch the World Cup more than ANYTHING else, which is what I stated.....

The reading comprehension you exhibit is truly superb

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/we...ne-11-17-2018/

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/da...-june-16-2018/

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/da...-june-17-2018/

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/da...s-july-6-2018/
Old 07-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #86
Siberian13

The times and days the games are on are tough for the US to watch. So makes sense that ratings would be down. I’m lucky enough to watch at work sometimes.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:59 PM   #87
hawkeyecards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray27Ray52 View Post
As I sat on the couch the other day with my wife I turned to her and said, "I'm going to switch it to espn, I guarantee something basketball related will be on." Even though basketball season is over and baseball is in full swing I knew it was a stone cold lock. What was on? NBA summer league highlights. Who actually gaf about summer league basketball?

Why is ESPN so obsessed with basketball?
Summer League is starting to turn into a big deal, sorry it can't be exactly what you want.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #88
tier1dc

Quote:
Yeah, nice false fact.

Yeah, nice outdated fact.

The ratings were only down here in the US at the beginning of the tourney. Once it got started the ratings where the highest they've been on FS1 this year. And on the global scale, once the knockout stage began, ratings have been the highest since the 1990 World Cup.

http://awfulannouncing.com/fox/satur...east-1990.html
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...finals-1125593

But people will keep using the June 22 ratings report to dump on the World Cup.

Quote:
Saturday’s 2018 FIFA World Cup Quarterfinal matches averaged 5,664,000 viewers on the FOX broadcast network, making it the most-watched day of Quarterfinal action since at least 1990, according to Nielsen Media Research.

The viewership numbers are up +15% from the second day of the 2014 Quarterfinals (4,931,000), up +14% from the second day of Quarterfinals in 2010 (4,982,000) and up +26% from the second day of Quarterfinals in 2006 (4,490,000).

The Croatia-Russia thriller, which ended with Croatia defeating the host nation on penalty kicks, set the tone for the viewership milestone, averaging 6,317,000 viewers on FOX, making it the most-watched World Cup Quarterfinal match in English or Spanish since at least 1990, including U.S. matches.
Everyone gets it that US fans hate the World Cup and want to soccer to die, cool. But big picture, that doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyecards View Post
Summer League is starting to turn into a big deal, sorry it can't be exactly what you want.
It's only going to get more tv time. and it should. live sport, low overhead and already part of the contract.

much better to have on in the background than a bunch of idiots yelling at each other about NFL stuff.

people will complain one way or the other, either it's too many talk shows or the sport they don't like is on and it's not what they want to watch.

Last edited by tier1dc; 07-12-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #89
hawkeyecards

It's only going to get more tv time. and it should. live sport, low overhead and already part of the contract.

much better to have on in the background than a bunch of idiots yelling at each other about NFL stuff.

people will complain one way or the other, either it's too many talk shows or the sport they don't like is on and it's not what they want to watch.[/QUOTE]
For sure, it's a lot of fun to watch the upcoming stars and then watch the highlights when they do well in the league later on.

It's literally 2018, you can watch any sport, from any location, at any time. If you want to watch Russian Men's Volleyball or Mixed Icelandic Kickball, chances are you can stream it. Takes a little effort but alot of people aren't going to watch those and would rather watch Summer League and Pre-Seasom Football coming up, so that's what will be on. 162 game baseball season is long AF and don't need to watch every game. World Cup was on all the time and CWS was too because they're hot at the moment.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #90
persona

Quote:
Soccer is bottom of the totem pole. Why plaster it all over your site when it's obvious how unpopular it is? I'm assuming ESPN is showing all the games too?
Soccer is easily the most popular sport in the world with the biggest stars.
Ronaldo without a question is bigger than any US Athlete we have.
Main reason soccer is not popular here is because we suck at it.
We excel in other popular team sports so no need a casual fan to cheer for something we are not good at. Look at our women’s team, Best in the world and we only care about them every four years.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #91
deansayso

I would rather they have soccer on than tennis...
Old 07-12-2018, 10:49 AM   #92
Siberian13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansayso View Post
I would rather they have soccer on than tennis...
Women's tennis is better than any soccer.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #93
pgisback

Fox Losing Money on World Cup Without U.S. Team

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...eam-1531311913
Old 07-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #94
Siberian13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgisback View Post
Fox Losing Money on World Cup Without U.S. Team

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...eam-1531311913
That seems pretty obvious though. No US Team, US won't watch as much. Tough break for FOX but they took the risk knowing the US Men's team is garbage.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:17 PM   #95
majestik101

The wife's work is doing a company event for the Galaxy vs LAFC game on the 26th. Hopefully I can get the time off. It will be the first MLS game I've been to in years.

Oh yeah, Besides PTI and HQ, ESPN sucks.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:22 PM   #96
tier1dc

are you guys seriously trying to tell me that you aren't clamoring for front page content on a NCAA Football video game from 2014?!?!?!?!???!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!

espn like
Old 07-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #97
pgisback

Worst day of my life was when EA lost the lawsuit and had to stop making NC dub football. Tied for Halo as the greatest game of all time. RIP
Old 07-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #98
ILOVEBEER

ESPYs are going to be amazing this year. Can't wait....
Old 07-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #99
duron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgisback View Post
Worst day of my life was when EA lost the lawsuit and had to stop making NC dub football. Tied for Halo as the greatest game of all time. RIP
As great as Halo 1 was it's not even the best fps of all time.
It's a really close call between Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament. The higher the skill ceiling on a shooter, the more fun it becomes imo, and those 2 have always been the gold standard. Even the more popular Counterstrike or the more recent Overwatch don't have skill ceilings as high as arena shooters.

Obviously ignore all of this if you're just talking about single player campaigns. H1's was revolutionary.

"1998-99 Slam Funk
Way better design than those doughnut cards, IMO" -8collector34
Old 07-13-2018, 02:36 AM   #100
ILOVEBEER

ESPN NFL 2K5 was really good, which is funny because we are talking about how bad ESPN is now. Probably the last decent thing they did.