Blowout Cards Forums
Wave 11

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #26
BH34
Member
 
BH34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 686
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justing24 View Post
... if i should invest into prospects or 3 year players. i just don’t know how to spend my money and i don’t want to invest the wrong way
shocked that 24 posts in, no one has answered with some variation of the typically irrelevant response: "buy vintage".

the way you frame your question, it sounds like you're looking more at speculation, rather than investing -- the difference being the upside/downside potential, aggressive (speculation) vs conservative ("investing") approach.

If that assumption is correct, I'd say the first thing you'd need to do is acknowledge you could lose it all. If you are not okay with that, then this game is not for you.
If you are okay with that, then just have fun with it and buy what/who you like, and take a gamble. It doesn't matter if the player is a prospect, a 3 year vet, or Dominic Smith. Anything can happen.

You won't know if the way you chose to 'invest/speculate' was correct until the day you sell. And even then, you probably still won't know.
__________________
Let's Go Mets Go!
BH34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:26 PM   #27
Boo
Member
 
Boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 19,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justing24 View Post
So basically i wanted to start investing into some 3-5 year pros that i think will continue a good year and become good players. but their first bowman auto is like $100. is it worth investing into these guys? bc idk if i should invest into prospects or 3 year players. i just don’t know how to spend my money and i don’t want to invest the wrong way
If BostonNut was no help, I would contact chezball. He has a vast collection of sets from years ago that will blow your mind.
__________________
CheckOutMyCards ID = klay22
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #28
PKIPP
Member
 
PKIPP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 346
Default

Buy vintage....

Lol but in all seriousness I tend to side with the guy who said buy PSA 10 Rookie cards (topps flagship, chrome, heritage).. Even a PSA 9 if the price is right. I never invested in any top draft picks or prospects autos out of sheer disgust at the prices they were selling for, and watched many of them fizzle out. But I still had the prospecting itch so I decided to take chances on much lower profile prospect autos at less than $10 each. Success rate very low, but I didn't lose out on much $$. Half the cards are worth the same today as the day I bought them. Then I found buying rookie cards (even raw) was a much safer investment, as long as you're buying them for good prices while they're still young players. Anyone who chose this method back in 2011, things are going pretty well on their small investment now, even if they didn't pick up trouts.
__________________
Baseball PC: Miguel Cabrera, Andrew McCutchen, Tigers Greats
Basketball PC: Carmelo Anthony, Donovan Mitchell, Detroit Pistons Greats, HOF Autos, Star RC's
PKIPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #29
Mister2Bits
Member
 
Mister2Bits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIPP View Post
Buy vintage....

Lol but in all seriousness I tend to side with the guy who said buy PSA 10 Rookie cards (topps flagship, chrome, heritage).. Even a PSA 9 if the price is right. I never invested in any top draft picks or prospects autos out of sheer disgust at the prices they were selling for, and watched many of them fizzle out. But I still had the prospecting itch so I decided to take chances on much lower profile prospect autos at less than $10 each. Success rate very low, but I didn't lose out on much $$. Half the cards are worth the same today as the day I bought them. Then I found buying rookie cards (even raw) was a much safer investment, as long as you're buying them for good prices while they're still young players. Anyone who chose this method back in 2011, things are going pretty well on their small investment now, even if they didn't pick up trouts.
I tend to steer clear from prospects and wait until flagship and start picking up. Base/Gold/Rainbow Foil/Black/All-Star/Purple/Blue/Pink. Send to PSA - work on anything else that I find attractive.

Too much risk/reward for prospects.
__________________
Collecting: Judge/Thor/HOF's/Ginter Mini's/Heritage/Gators
Mister2Bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #30
pcptrade
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 713
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman1951 View Post
Not to be a dick but if any of us knew for sure.....you think we'd be sharing our secrets?

Altuve could tear a ligament next year, Betts could show regression. Judge could never fully recover from that wrist injury. And god forbid if anything horrible happened to Trout, I think some members here might jump off a bridge.

Zero people can predict the future and who is a shoe-in HOF'er without 8-10 years under their belt. People say "prospecting" when it comes to rookies but technically we are doing it even with some of the best players in the game, who we think will continue to rise in value as their stats get better every year. Some will still turn out to be wrong.
Reminds me of the debate "What is the next Google/Alphabet, Netflix, Amazon, Priceline etc., in stock market". People want high returns in a short period of time. Investing in modern sports cards is speculative in my opinion and one should invest only what he/she could afford to lose. Vintage cards such as mantle 1952 Topps might be a safer bet despite lower ROI. They are similar to blue chip stocks. If you are investing, diversification is the key similar to stock market, invest some in vintage cards (similar to blue chip stocks) and some in speculative modern baseball cards. Among modern baseball cards, Trout might be a safe bet. This is just my personal opinion.
__________________
I collect Rare & Antique Books, Manuscripts, Autographed True First Edition Books, Comic Books, Sports Cards, etc.,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144335251@N08/albums
pcptrade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #31
Mister2Bits
Member
 
Mister2Bits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcptrade View Post
Reminds me of the debate "What is the next Google/Alphabet, Netflix, Amazon, Priceline etc., in stock market". People want high returns in a short period of time. Investing in modern sports cards is speculative in my opinion and one should invest only what he/she could afford to lose. Vintage cards such as mantle 1952 Topps might be a safer bet despite lower ROI. They are similar to blue chip stocks. If you are investing, diversification is the key similar to stock market, invest some in vintage cards (similar to blue chip stocks) and some in speculative modern baseball cards. This is just my personal opinion.
I work in the financial markets - the parallels between the two industries from a mathematics standpoint are pretty uncanny. The main difference being wall-street is regulated by rules, baseball cards are the wild west. Topps/Panini can do anything they want without much worry.
__________________
Collecting: Judge/Thor/HOF's/Ginter Mini's/Heritage/Gators
Mister2Bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #32
PKIPP
Member
 
PKIPP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister2Bits View Post
I tend to steer clear from prospects and wait until flagship and start picking up. Base/Gold/Rainbow Foil/Black/All-Star/Purple/Blue/Pink. Send to PSA - work on anything else that I find attractive.

Too much risk/reward for prospects.
100% agree. Especially on the parallel thing. Even a gold of a superstar player (/20**) can get way up there in price on superstar players. Justin Verlander 2005 is like $140 last I looked, can't imagine what a trout gold goes for.
__________________
Baseball PC: Miguel Cabrera, Andrew McCutchen, Tigers Greats
Basketball PC: Carmelo Anthony, Donovan Mitchell, Detroit Pistons Greats, HOF Autos, Star RC's
PKIPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #33
unclemonkey
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,148
Default

If it is pure speculation, ala bitcoin, then chase and flip the orange, red, and Supers (both auto and non auto) of the soon to be released Bowman Draft Class.

Deciding long term on Robles or Lindor is not that simple. At $150-200 the ship has sailed for Robles. His base autos prices (PSA 10) seems fairly valued. More downside than upside.

As somebody else mentioned earlier... buy vintage.

My prospecting advice...

1) Start with Bowman Draft because is very Popular for prospecting.
2) Stick to graded PSA 10's for big purchases. No raw cards unless you get them from a case break.
3) Set a budget and spread your bets or you will burn thru cash in a hurry.
4) There will be demand and a frenzy in December so it's easier to flip and recoup investment.
5) Nobody will care about Robles until the spring... if then, and only if he produces.
unclemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #34
griffan15
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mclean, VA
Posts: 4,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMonkey415 View Post
THE TIME IS NOW!!!!

I'm answering the question today because I know tomorrow you will create

When is the best time to invest into a player.

Haha, perfect.
griffan15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #35
LCM1223
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 13,954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMonkey415 View Post
THE TIME IS NOW!!!!

I'm answering the question today because I know tomorrow you will create

When is the best time to invest into a player.
He’s got “who” and “how” covered

Now he just needs the when, where, and what.
__________________
Total Topps BUNT Profits: $832.40 KICK: $511.00 HUDDLE: $300.22 STAR WARS CARD TRADER: $1706.55
STAR WARS FORCE COLLECTION: $1318.14 TWD: $90.05 SKATE: $86.49
(I don't buy...ever...so don't ask)#FireKapler#CutMills#CutDarby#FireSchwartz
LCM1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #36
no10pin
Member
 
no10pin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 8,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justing24 View Post
see i was thinking about buying lindor but then i saw his price of non auto psa 10 was around the same as victor robles. so if i buy victor robles, the price prolly won’t go up that much even if he does really good. right?
You are not comparing apples to apples if you see the same prices for Lindor and Robles PSA 10 RCs.

Compare base Topps to base Topps, Heritage to Heritage, etc. and you will see that there is a significant difference.
__________________
Always looking for more George Brett stuff. Need more rookies, low numbered inserts/parallels and on-card autos (no Panini).
no10pin is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.