pokemon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 01-08-2018, 09:01 PM   #26
HBMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcw716 View Post
Who's excited about Kellen Moore being promoted to QB coach? I think it's ridiculous it is even being considered.

"Hey guys, I'm going into my prime years in the NFL but I'm not good enough beat out a rookie free agent QB for a backup job so how about I coach you guys? Please listen, I know what I'm talking about."

I think that ties into uncertainty about Garrett being here past next year. No established coach is going to want to take a spot with a decent chance for a whole new crew next year if we underachieve again.
That's not entirely fair to Kellen, he's always been a cerebral player, but he looks like a Middle Schooler out there. I think that is a logical stepping stone for him to take over for Wade Wilson.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #27
jmscoggin

Quote:
Who's excited about Kellen Moore being promoted to QB coach? I think it's ridiculous it is even being considered.

"Hey guys, I'm going into my prime years in the NFL but I'm not good enough beat out a rookie free agent QB for a backup job so how about I coach you guys? Please listen, I know what I'm talking about."
Things that were probably never said;

"Sorry Mr. Lombardi, you've never been an All Pro NFL QB so I won't listen to you".

"Sorry Mr. Halas, you've never been an All Pro NFL QB so I won't listen to you".

"Sorry Mr. Landry, you've never been an All Pro NFL QB so I won't listen to you".

"Sorry Mr. Noll, you've never been an All Pro NFL QB so I won't listen to you".

"Sorry Mr. Belichick, you've never been an All Pro NFL QB so I won't listen to you".

"Sorry Mr. Shula, you've never been an All Pro NFL QB so I won't listen to you".

I could continue but I don't think it's necessary. You can be a great coach even if you were a lousy player, even if you were never a player at all.
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #28
bcw716

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMC View Post
That's not entirely fair to Kellen, he's always been a cerebral player, but he looks like a Middle Schooler out there. I think that is a logical stepping stone for him to take over for Wade Wilson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
Things that were probably never said;

"Sorry Mr. Lombardi, you've never been an All Pro NFL QB so I won't listen to you".

"Sorry Mr. Halas, you've never been an All Pro NFL QB so I won't listen to you".

"Sorry Mr. Landry, you've never been an All Pro NFL QB so I won't listen to you".

"Sorry Mr. Noll, you've never been an All Pro NFL QB so I won't listen to you".

"Sorry Mr. Belichick, you've never been an All Pro NFL QB so I won't listen to you".

"Sorry Mr. Shula, you've never been an All Pro NFL QB so I won't listen to you".

I could continue but I don't think it's necessary. You can be a great coach even if you were a lousy player, even if you were never a player at all.
I can see both your points. Hell, Garret was the 3rd string QB also, but he went to another organization to start coaching and then came back. I think it would be hard to step in as a 3rd string QB and start coaching your immediate peer group right away. I could see young players(hell maybe older vets also) thinking what I posted(although I don't think Dak or Rush would necessarily do that). It just seems like it'd be easier for him to start his coaching career somewhere else(Boise St. or even back with Petersen in Washington) and not with guys you were competing for roster spots with just last year.
bcw716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:28 PM   #29
HBMC

Quote:
I can see both your points. Hell, Garret was the 3rd string QB also, but he went to another organization to start coaching and then came back. I think it would be hard to step in as a 3rd string QB and start coaching your immediate peer group right away. I could see young players(hell maybe older vets also) thinking what I posted(although I don't think Dak or Rush would necessarily do that). It just seems like it'd be easier for him to start his coaching career somewhere else(Boise St. or even back with Petersen in Washington) and not with guys you were competing for roster spots with just last year.
Definitely a fair stance to take, as far as I know it isn't official by any means.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:47 PM   #30
HBMC

I am so happy there are two draft shows per week on the Cowboys Website/App. They also encourage fans from other teams to ask questions about their teams too. I have read some articles that expect the Cowboys to get 4 Compensatory Picks, they could theoretically get 6, but the NFL caps comp picks to 4 per year.

This should be a cabinet stuffing draft for the Cowboys this year. There's a lot of talented players in the class that should be grabbed and stashed. Ideally they could pick up two WR's and have a devastating WR corps in no time at all with this current crop that is coming out.

As for the upcoming draft:

I am glad to see that there are so many great RB's and WR's available. The Cowboys would be foolish to spend a premium pick on either spot unless they got completely wiped out at another position.

RB is easily 4 rounds deep in terms of quality players (playing the numbers based on team needs), there's an outside shot that 3-4 could go in the First thanks to a total lack of a consensus #1 player in the draft. I think Dallas could scarf up a quality complimentary player to Zeke with one of their still unknown Comp Picks (or flip it to move up). Ideally, if they took someone like Sony Michel or Rojo II, that would be awesome to have a player like that to change the pace with Zeke.

WR has a bevy of good options, Ridley is a clear cut top WR in terms of getting open without help, but he's undersized and is older (he will turn 24 during his rookie year), Kirk is a bonafide explosive player, but he doesn't play on the outside. James Washington is definitely explosive, he's not the best route runner, but he does catch everything, so that's a huge plus.

One of my favorites would be DJ Moore, he's nasty, plays with an edge and catches everything. He was also very productive while having 8 different QB's to play with him at a trash fire of a football program.

Jaleel Scott is also intriguing as hell, he's 6'6" at about 215lbs, but he can climb the ladder to get the ball like so few. He played at a small school, but he's got some really impressive traits.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #31
dfr52

Quote:
I am so happy there are two draft shows per week on the Cowboys Website/App. They also encourage fans from other teams to ask questions about their teams too. I have read some articles that expect the Cowboys to get 4 Compensatory Picks, they could theoretically get 6, but the NFL caps comp picks to 4 per year.

This should be a cabinet stuffing draft for the Cowboys this year. There's a lot of talented players in the class that should be grabbed and stashed. Ideally they could pick up two WR's and have a devastating WR corps in no time at all with this current crop that is coming out.

As for the upcoming draft:

I am glad to see that there are so many great RB's and WR's available. The Cowboys would be foolish to spend a premium pick on either spot unless they got completely wiped out at another position.

RB is easily 4 rounds deep in terms of quality players (playing the numbers based on team needs), there's an outside shot that 3-4 could go in the First thanks to a total lack of a consensus #1 player in the draft. I think Dallas could scarf up a quality complimentary player to Zeke with one of their still unknown Comp Picks (or flip it to move up). Ideally, if they took someone like Sony Michel or Rojo II, that would be awesome to have a player like that to change the pace with Zeke.

WR has a bevy of good options, Ridley is a clear cut top WR in terms of getting open without help, but he's undersized and is older (he will turn 24 during his rookie year), Kirk is a bonafide explosive player, but he doesn't play on the outside. James Washington is definitely explosive, he's not the best route runner, but he does catch everything, so that's a huge plus.

One of my favorites would be DJ Moore, he's nasty, plays with an edge and catches everything. He was also very productive while having 8 different QB's to play with him at a trash fire of a football program.

Jaleel Scott is also intriguing as hell, he's 6'6" at about 215lbs, but he can climb the ladder to get the ball like so few. He played at a small school, but he's got some really impressive traits.
The guys on the Draft Show as well as other draft experts seem to really love him.

Overall the draft seems to have good depth at a number of positions.
dfr52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #32
dfr52

The offense has seen coaching changes at every position except running back and Gary Brown is exploring other options. On defense Baker is gone and Eberflus is without a contract as he explores other options (possibly a coordinator position).
Old 01-12-2018, 05:09 PM   #33
HP7163
Banned

Quote:

I met James last year with my ex at an alumni/booster event in Stillwater.. he definitely isn't 6 feet but appears thicker (in a good way) than his listed 205 with compact type build.. more legs than torso length it seemed. I was wearing boots but towered over him and my ex gf who's 5"11 made him look short so I'm not sure if he translates to anything more than a possession WR in the NFL . His hands were similar to mine if I remember correctly (large palms but sausage fingers and long thumb) .. firm grip tho. Be curious to see if he can get to 4.4 instead of what I expect to be 4.5+ range . He plays big though

Ridley I didn't watch much of but I doubt he's really 6"1 either but we'll see.

I would like dallas to land a DE/LB edge rush player like Roquan Smith, NC State Chubb, BC Landry , LSU Arden or the Clemson DT in round 1. I'd love Alabama's Fitzpatrick but we aren't gonna get that lucky or trade up. I see him as the best defensive player in the draft looking back in 3 years or the ND guard

One thing I do believe is this draft is STACKED and if we don't hit a home run it'll be a fail. This is one of hose years where a team on the cusp is going to stack the line positions and grab a quality game changer Rb in the 2nd-4th rounds and be in a super bowl.
HP7163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:54 PM   #34
jmscoggin

Quote:
I missed this the other day but you do bring up a valid point. I could see there being some authority issues when you are trying to tell someone what to do or how to do it when you were behind that exact same guy on the depth chart. That doesn't mean he isn't or wouldn't be a great coach, it is just human nature. If I was Dak and Moore started telling me how to do something, I'd probably push back a bit.
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:11 PM   #35
HP7163
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
I missed this the other day but you do bring up a valid point. I could see there being some authority issues when you are trying to tell someone what to do or how to do it when you were behind that exact same guy on the depth chart. That doesn't mean he isn't or wouldn't be a great coach, it is just human nature. If I was Dak and Moore started telling me how to do something, I'd probably push back a bit.
It's just the opposite as of last year/now... Moore is one of Daks "bff" on the team and Dak respects him quite a bit along with his off the charts football IQ. Moore knows he's a career backup/practice squad guy who eyes coaching one day like his father

Moore apparently was drawing up plays for his dad when he was 7-8 years old and legend has it his father used some of them. Really smart guy like Garrett just well not an elite talent.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #36
HBMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP7163 View Post
I met James last year with my ex at an alumni/booster event in Stillwater.. he definitely isn't 6 feet but appears thicker (in a good way) than his listed 205 with compact type build.. more legs than torso length it seemed. I was wearing boots but towered over him and my ex gf who's 5"11 made him look short so I'm not sure if he translates to anything more than a possession WR in the NFL . His hands were similar to mine if I remember correctly (large palms but sausage fingers and long thumb) .. firm grip tho. Be curious to see if he can get to 4.4 instead of what I expect to be 4.5+ range . He plays big though
Gotta love roster bumps on height lol. I heard a comparison to Golden Tate, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Quote:
Ridley I didn't watch much of but I doubt he's really 6"1 either but we'll see.
Ridley is probably closer to 6', but his biggest question is his weight. He's listed at 190 lbs and that's way too light at his size. His speed and ability are real though. I've seen enough of him tearing the Hogs a new one to say I'm not sad to see him leaving Alabama lol. I doubt he drops to Dallas though.

Quote:
I would like dallas to land a DE/LB
There's so many of them, I don't see the need to reach at all.

Quote:
Roquan Smith
He's a little undersized for an ILB, but he's a machine. I would love to see him wearing a star.

Quote:
NC State Chubb, BC Landry , LSU Arden or the Clemson DT in round 1.
I think Arden Key really isn't a scheme fit and may be an even more questionable Randy Gregory type. His off the field actions are bizarre (nothing bad, just weird).

Landry is a solid player. Chubb will probably go higher. I'm not crazy high on Christian Wilkins, if they are going to go for a Pass Rushing DT, Maurice Hurst (Michigan) would be a much better pick IMO.

Quote:
I'd love Alabama's Fitzpatrick but we aren't gonna get that lucky or trade up. I see him as the best defensive player in the draft looking back in 3 years
I wouldn't doubt he is near the top at that point in his career, but someone is going to overvalue him and take him a lot higher than he might go in a more defined draft.

Quote:
or the ND guard
If Quenton Nelson fell to Dallas, hoo boy would that be awesome to have a plug & play Left Guard to go with their other greats up front.

I do think there is a strong chance that Nelson goes really high in this draft as there aren't many players many of the Draftniks consider complete. Nelson is one of (and possibly) the best and most complete players in the draft.

Quote:
One thing I do believe is this draft is STACKED and if we don't hit a home run it'll be a fail. This is one of hose years where a team on the cusp is going to stack the line positions and grab a quality game changer Rb in the 2nd-4th rounds and be in a super bowl.
I'm not worried in the slightest. There's so many players available that would be fits that they should be able to scarf several. The RB class is ridiculously deep. The WR crop is rounds deep as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfr52 View Post
The guys on the Draft Show as well as other draft experts seem to really love him.

Overall the draft seems to have good depth at a number of positions.
When I hear a comparison to Steve Smith and then I subsequently see that while watching film, yeah, excited is the wrong word lol, I would be ecstatic if he was a Cowboy. I won't henpeck the Cowboys to just a few guys, there's so many good WR options that picking one of several would be a win IMO.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:12 PM   #37
dfr52

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP7163 View Post
It's just the opposite as of last year/now... Moore is one of Daks "bff" on the team and Dak respects him quite a bit along with his off the charts football IQ. Moore knows he's a career backup/practice squad guy who eyes coaching one day like his father

Moore apparently was drawing up plays for his dad when he was 7-8 years old and legend has it his father used some of them. Really smart guy like Garrett just well not an elite talent.
Moore has a bright future in coaching, it is a shame that he lacks height, arm strength and/or elite athletic ability. The fact that he was such a college success and made it to the NFL speaks to his intelligence and understanding of the game.

Looks like Brown will be back but Greg Jackson and Eberflus are still without contracts. OL, WR, and TE need to be filled as well.

I saw that the former Giants OL coach was interviewed.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:41 PM   #38
TheFrenzy

So will you guys be rooting for?

The Eagles to remain Super Bowl-less or the Patriots to remain at 5 Super Bowl wins?
Old 01-21-2018, 10:02 PM   #39
tky2dex

As a Cowboys fan I hate to say it but I’m pulling for Eagles on this one.
tky2dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:14 PM   #40
TheVolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrenzy View Post
So will you guys be rooting for?

The Eagles to remain Super Bowl-less or the Patriots to remain at 5 Super Bowl wins?
I was rooting for the Eagles in 2005... same in 2018.
Division rivals be damned... F*ck the evil empire (this must be what every other eastern NBA team felt like with MJ playing)
Old 01-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #41
TheFrenzy

How I feel thinking about the upcoming Super Bowl matchup:

Old 01-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #42
dfr52

So far the coaching hires seem to be pretty good. I am interested to see how they impact the QB, WR, OL and DB's.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #43
dfr52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrenzy View Post
How I feel thinking about the upcoming Super Bowl matchup:

Yea, lol
Old 01-26-2018, 05:36 PM   #44
TheFrenzy

Quote:
Yea, lol
Other equally awful Super Bowl match ups would include:

49ers v Steelers
Giants v Texans
Redskins v Patriots
Old 01-26-2018, 08:11 PM   #45
kevinandji

Bring back Jimmy Johnson?
kevinandji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:48 PM   #46
TheFrenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinandji View Post
Bring back Jimmy Johnson?
The fact that somewhere, out in the multiverse, there exists a timeline where the Cowboys had Jimmy Johnson as their coach until he retired in the mid-200s and Bill Parcells took over and the Cowboys won multiple more Super Bowls and still picked up an undrafted Romo under Parcells and won Super Bowls with him before smoothly transitioning to a Dak Prescott who had ridden the bench for 3 or 4 years.....

......that keeps me awake at night.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:24 AM   #47
HBMC

Quote:
So far the coaching hires seem to be pretty good. I am interested to see how they impact the QB, WR, OL and DB's.
I am very pleased to see the Kris Richard pick up, I am surprised Seattle let him walk.

The Sanjay Lal hire is definitely interesting, I had never heard of him before, but after a smidge of reading, he seems like an unconventional hire.

Kellen Moore stepping into the QB coach position seems like hand-in-glove to me.

Paul Alexander has a lot of experience, and the Bengals took Frank Pollack. Go figure lol.

As for draft info, it sounds like Will Hernandez is a pretty stout prospect. I wouldn't complain if he was taken at 50.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:23 AM   #48
HP7163
Banned

I was half joking about the James Washington meeting btw.. I'm not Jason Borne ha

This will def be Jason Garretts last season if he doesn't win a playoff game. The play calling needs to be more open instead of the cookie cutter schtick

I'm all in on a LB/DE/DT for our 1st round pick. WR will be there in the 2nd

I also don't doubt the eagles can win the super bowl... we have a really good team to compete against again next year
Old 01-27-2018, 01:27 AM   #49
TWard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian13 View Post
I predict more suffering

Same.
TWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:35 AM   #50
HP7163
Banned

I didn't know about Keys (LSU) off field stuff other than he had gotten in trouble but my concern was he could be lazy .. aka a boom or bust

I heard ol Mel kiper talking about the DT from Washington. Dude has a motor which is always key for me at the defensive position .. why I love roquan, Landry, Chubb

Plenty of quality players to really help both sides of the ball

I'd love a speed/change of pace back to pair with Zeke rounds 3-4