Blowout Cards Forums
2018 bowman baseball

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > GRADING

Notices

GRADING For all grading talk - PSA, BGS, SGC, etc

Old 11-24-2017, 09:47 PM   #126
kaleidosky

jewcer2k5, thanks for making this thread! I haven't posted in here before, but I've definitely used this a ton in evaluating what to submit. Appreciate both the thread and all your submissions. Without guys like you and smackvay, I'd have to do a lot more work (and probably pay more) to keep my best cards "healthy". Or maybe I'd just never do it!
kaleidosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:55 AM   #127
pensfan87893

How do you guys usually package up your cards when you send them to get graded? I'm going to get a few cards graded for the first time and was wondering what the best way is. Just penny sleeve, top loader, team bag and then into bubble wrap/mailer ok?

pensfan87893 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:58 AM   #128
zac949

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensfan87893 View Post
How do you guys usually package up your cards when you send them to get graded? I'm going to get a few cards graded for the first time and was wondering what the best way is. Just penny sleeve, top loader, team bag and then into bubble wrap/mailer ok?
Should be fine. PSA prefers card savers over top loaders. They claim on their website that they donít accept top loaders, screw downs, and snap cases but I called and the lady said they wonít turn it away.
zac949 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #129
pensfan87893

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac949 View Post
Should be fine. PSA prefers card savers over top loaders. They claim on their website that they donít accept top loaders, screw downs, and snap cases but I called and the lady said they wonít turn it away.
Cool, I appreciate the info. I'm gonna be sending to BGS, so hopefully top loaders are ok there.

pensfan87893 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:35 PM   #130
CardMonopoly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensfan87893 View Post
Cool, I appreciate the info. I'm gonna be sending to BGS, so hopefully top loaders are ok there.
BGS's website suggests you send cards in card savers, but you can send cards to BGS in Card Savers, toploaders, or magnetics. They're not going to turn your business away. Just don't tape the magnetics shut and don't expect to get any of them back.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #131
KB81

Card Savers are horrible

I use top loaders all the time. Hell with them not wanting it. i need to protect MY cards best I can during transit. Never been turned away.

I do not use a top loader that makes it hard for them to take card out either.
Card is snug enough and can come out easily with a slight tapping.

It is what it is and it aint what it's not. Ya dig?
KB81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:05 PM   #132
ThoseBackPages

i wonder if BGS/PSA have a more difficult time cutting the top loaders, which is why they dont recommend sending them in

PSA
ThoseBackPages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #133
jewcer2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
i wonder if BGS/PSA have a more difficult time cutting the top loaders, which is why they dont recommend sending them in
100% the reason.
jewcer2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:14 PM   #134
lemongoat1134

One of the cards in a BGS submission just returned to me has a spec inside the case on the bottom left of the card. Anyone else ever experience this?
lemongoat1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:46 AM   #135
goodole13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemongoat1134 View Post
One of the cards in a BGS submission just returned to me has a spec inside the case on the bottom left of the card. Anyone else ever experience this?
What is a spec? A picture may help answer your question.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #136
KhalDrogo

Made my first ever submission two weeks ago and it popped today. 14 cards. 13 9.5s and 1 10. Very happy. Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #137
jewcer2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
Made my first ever submission two weeks ago and it popped today. 14 cards. 13 9.5s and 1 10. Very happy. Thanks for the advice!
Great job. Congrats.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:24 AM   #138
KhalDrogo

How often do you have cards come back from BGS with damaged cases? I had a few come back with chipped cases. Not damaging eye appeal, but just annoying. Can you get them to ship in one of the graded card holders they sell on the website? Or do the cards get sent back in the same box every time?
Old 02-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #139
chathampa

Default BGS/PSA

Thanks for the great article and I plan on sending in some cards to you in March.

I sent in 7 cards to BGS for the first time and I was disappointed that I only received 1 9.5. 5 were 9s and 1 was a 8.5. I'm not that upset as this was all for my Eagles PC. The biggest thing I noticed was that the corner and edge grades came out lower than I thought. I chose 7 of my best cards so I could learn from the process. Besides getting a magnifying glass with light to check out the edges and corners, what else can you do to really judges the 2 factors? What truly separates a 9.5 vs. a 9 edge/corners? I even took out a PSA 10 Ajayi card perfectly and I got a 9 back from BGS.
chathampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:22 AM   #140
jewcer2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chathampa View Post
Thanks for the great article and I plan on sending in some cards to you in March.

I sent in 7 cards to BGS for the first time and I was disappointed that I only received 1 9.5. 5 were 9s and 1 was a 8.5. I'm not that upset as this was all for my Eagles PC. The biggest thing I noticed was that the corner and edge grades came out lower than I thought. I chose 7 of my best cards so I could learn from the process. Besides getting a magnifying glass with light to check out the edges and corners, what else can you do to really judges the 2 factors? What truly separates a 9.5 vs. a 9 edge/corners? I even took out a PSA 10 Ajayi card perfectly and I got a 9 back from BGS.
Only time practicing will teach you what can get by as a 9.5 or a 9. Also comes down to the grader you get and the day that he is having. Lots of variables.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #141
padremurph

Question on wiping the card down. Do you do it with a dry microfiber cloth or slightly wet?

I just received a 2001 Heritage chrome card this past week that was stuck pretty badly to the penny sleeve because itís probably been in there forever. The surface is a little dirty.
padremurph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #142
jewcer2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by padremurph View Post
Question on wiping the card down. Do you do it with a dry microfiber cloth or slightly wet?

I just received a 2001 Heritage chrome card this past week that was stuck pretty badly to the penny sleeve because itís probably been in there forever. The surface is a little dirty.
I use it dry because it is usually on chrome cards. I don't know the answer to a heritage card but you can try whatever you want.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:49 PM   #143
padremurph

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewcer2k5 View Post
I use it dry because it is usually on chrome cards. I don't know the answer to a heritage card but you can try whatever you want.
Thanks! I guess Iíll start with dry and see if it helps. Itís a card Iíve been wanting for years so hoping it works out.
padremurph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:49 PM   #144
whyn0twynne

What would be the best way to judge the centering of these cards?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-18-Pan...vP3EQEPCHCejiA
whyn0twynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #145
socal805

Quote:
Originally Posted by chathampa View Post

I did the same thing in regards to submitting my "best" cards. Eventually you'll learn what to look for, what you can get away with, etc. Now I've been able to submit cards that I previously had questioned w/some success. I've receive 9.5's on cards I thought for sure would only get a 9.

As jewcer2k5 has suggest...do a self grade on your submissions and write them down (I've even recorded a few of them). Once you receive your graded cards, you can compare BGS grades with your personal grades. Maybe you'll find out you're too lenient on corners, yet too harsh on surface grades.

I've also made the mistake of "seeing what I want to see", especially with some of my favorite cards. Similar to being a parent who believes there child can do no wrong...don't let your personal feelings get in the way of grading...lol.
socal805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:06 PM   #146
mjohnatgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyn0twynne View Post
What would be the best way to judge the centering of these cards?

Front side I would judge L-R centering based on the outside of the namebar at the bottom, and judge T-B centering based on the blue borders at the top and bottom.
Back side I would measure that the diagonal lines are the same distance from the corners on the top, and T-B I would judge based on the gap between the top of the N and the top border compared to the bottom border up to the base of the copyright line.

Oh, and if you're going to buy a card from comcconsignments on eBay, get a COMC account and buy it there yourself cheaper.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:16 PM   #147
whyn0twynne

Thank you!
whyn0twynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:20 PM   #148
dapro

Thanks for the info! I am sending 7 cards in to PSA, 3 out of the 7 have some dimples. I am not sure how they will grade the surface. I can't find any picture online about dimple with lines coming out. Wish me luck!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/156455278@N06/collections/72157666436269628/
dapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:07 AM   #149
rizzeedizzee

Right now I'm i limbo - PSA has my first ever submission and the cards have been received/logged. I read here about grades "popping" before the cards are actually sent out. Does that mean I'll get some sort of email telling me what the grades are, or simply that they have been graded?
rizzeedizzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #150
mjohnatgt

Quickest way to find out your grades is to have your credit card notify you when the charge gets made. Because they charge your card the same time they post your grades. I then check the website to see the grades (this is before the email comes out), because I check for label (mechanical) errors before they get mailed back to me. If I have to correct something, I would rather them do it ASAP than have to mail the cards back, and have to correct them later. If I see errors, I call and have the order put on "Shipping Hold" so they can correct.

If you didn't charge to credit card, then you just refresh the PSA account page a couple times a day hoping the grades get posted.