Blowout Cards Forums
old school

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #1
MikeF

Default Michael Glover- Sketch Card Scammer?

Hello all! I recently purchased some commissions from Michael Glover. He seemed eager to do them at first back in October. But I havenít heard from him since November. Iíve continued to contact him over and over and he continues to ignore my emails. Iíve never been rude and Iíve always been super professional with the artists Iíve worked with and commissioned. Iíve never had any kind of problems with any artist until now. Iíve been curious how my 3 Commissions were coming along so emailed to ask him about them. He emailed once saying one was almost done but still working on 2 in the beginning of December. Since then Iíve heard nothing back and have emailed a few times just for updates. I totally understand sketch cards can take a while, especially if hard work is being put into it and most artists have other jobs, etc. Iíve been in no rush as Iíve stated over and over again with him, Iíve just wanted an update. So now it seems like he has just taken my money and wonít do the work. He seems to sell a lot of his cards on eBay still. He also sells uncut cards from Marvel Bronze Age, Marvels Greatest Battles, and Sgt. Fury- all Rittenhouse. (Iím not sure how he sells and has had so many uncut blanks from Rittenhouse, that seems like it could be a whole discussion itself with thoughts on printed blanks) I literally emailed him today and less than an hour later he posted a card for sale on eBay.
Has anybody else dealt with him personally besides buying a card already done? Has anyone else commissioned him and not gotten there cards or a response? I would love to hear anybody elseís experience with him.
Iím not trying to bash him or insult him on here, but if he is taking others money and then not responding and bailing out on commissions, I feel others should know about it. I like his art, that is why I commissioned him in the first place.
Thanks again for any comments or help on the discussion. Again, Iím really just interested in hearing thoughts about working with Michael Glover, not sketch card artists in general.
MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #2
Jakecg11

I bought a bunch of blanks and one commission. The blanks made me nervous because of the amount available and price, but they seem legit to me. I received my commission fine, it wasn’t exactly what I asked for, but it still looked cool so I can’t complain. He communicated with me fine through email and eBay messages, so I don’t know why he won’t respond to you. I will say that he would tell me it would be done by a certain date, and then a month would go by, and he would say he needed more time for whatever reason. But I did receive my commission
Jakecg11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
MikeF

Well that is fortunate for you. I asked him if he could do exactly what I wanted and he said yes with no hesitations whatsoever. I explained everything I wanted in detail and he said there would be no problem doing it. Then a month or so went by without hearing anything. So I emailed him just to update me. He didn’t respond until a week later with 2 sentences saying 1 is almost finished and the other 2 are taking longer. I told him, that’s fine, take your time, I just wanted an update. Since then I’ve heard NOTHING back from him. Well now more than 3 months later, he won’t respond to any of the emails I sent or eBay messages. Ive spent almost $300 with him and he has completely ignored me, yet continues to do sketch cards. I commissioned from him in early August, 2017. I just saw him list a card on eBay yesterday with an ‘18 date. Doesn’t seem to professional doing other work when he has unfinished commissions paid for and ignoring the client who has paid for them.
But thanks for the comment Jakecg11. Like I said, it is fortunate for you that you at least got a product you paid for. I have no idea why he has flaked on mine.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
kerg

I've seen him post on facebook on I believe the 'artists looking for commissions' group. Perhaps join that group and put out a question there given he will be more likely to see it in a group he is part of.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
MikeF

That is a good idea, but I’m not on Facebook or any social media, therefore I can’t do that. Not being on any kind of social media makes it a lot harder to contact and commission artists, I will definitely confirm that. But I prefer to be off and stay off those sites.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #6
rudzud

See, I hear stories like this and get nervous about commissions. I've only ever had Ingrid Hardy do commissions for me and every time she's been phenomenal. Excellent communication and blazing turn around time.
rudzud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:17 PM   #7
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudzud View Post
See, I hear stories like this and get nervous about commissions. I've only ever had Ingrid Hardy do commissions for me and every time she's been phenomenal. Excellent communication and blazing turn around time.
Hiring an artist to do a commission is no different than hiring a plumber or an electrician or whatever. Some are good, some are bad. If everybody was courteous and professional our society wouldn't be what it is today. You live, you learn. I wouldn't let the fear of being disappointed prevent you from doing something you want to try. If it doesn't go well, write it off as a learning experience instead of a total waste.

For all the negative feedback in the "artist feedback thread", there is always somebody who swears that same artist provided the best experience they ever had. Even the artists with the absolute worst commission reputations have supporters out there.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #8
Chuck Bartowski

Haha...i've been waiting on commissions from Rhiannon Owens for like 7 years now. I, of course, don't plan on ever receiving them. I believe two of them were APs, but it's been so long I honestly don't remember exactly what she owes me.
Chuck Bartowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:12 PM   #9
glorbgorb

I completely stopped collecting sketchcards because of a couple of higher-profile artists who just kept delaying things with no explanation, yet continued producing cards for sets. I understand it is more detrimental to not make a Topps or UD deadline than some silly cards for Mr. Nobody Glorbgorb, but it got so silly after a while.

It stinks because people I regularly commissioned did fantastic work and always seemed to produce quality work in a timely manner. But some of the excuses I heard over the years just tells me that artists are some of the most accident-prone and worst-luck people on the face of the planet.

I say that half-tongue-in-cheek, but really.
glorbgorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:16 PM   #10
HiltonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bartowski View Post
Haha...i've been waiting on commissions from Rhiannon Owens for like 7 years now. I, of course, don't plan on ever receiving them. I believe two of them were APs, but it's been so long I honestly don't remember exactly what she owes me.
You and me both! I funded two of her Kickstarters years ago and nada.
HiltonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:26 AM   #11
Ty Hope

I waited 3.5 years for a card by Jim Kyle once...
Ty Hope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #12
Jakecg11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Hope View Post
Good thing I purchased 4 11x17 commissions for my family from his 2017 Memorial Day ebay sale.....I just hope I get them at this point.
Jakecg11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:19 AM   #13
Sharard

I guess itís the timing, I paid Rihanna for 2 APs and though did take about 4 months, I did receive them both. We communicated 99 perecent through Facebook. This was back in 2016 when I more involved buying and selling. Not making excuses, just that my experience with her was a positive one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F41445F7-D604-4A65-A9DF-FAF1E9A1423D.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	406032  

Last edited by Sharard; 02-14-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:30 AM   #14
jusdukky

JRosales is a class act. He did a sketch for me and it was finished and sent to me in 2 weeks. Great guy to deal with!!!
jusdukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #15
Chuck Bartowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharard View Post
I guess itís the timing, I paid Rihanna for 2 APs and though did take about 4 months, I did receive them both. We communicated 99 perecent through Facebook. This was back in 2016 when I more involved buying and selling. Not making excuses, just that my experience with her was a positive one
I had many many positive experiences with Rhi until I didn't. She completed half the set she was working on for me as well as a couple of the APs, but then just stopped. She never indicated why.
Chuck Bartowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #16
kerg

I could be wrong (probably wrong), but my guess is that with alot of the habitually slow or wonky artists they probably get a request for something 'new' and are excited to do it so they crank it out. The requests for things that have been done a millions times they probably just push to the side, get bored and aren't fired up.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #17
dd316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bartowski View Post
That's nothing, I've been waiting on Mark McHaley and Ray Dillon for nearly 9 years.

I can be slow sometimes (I do currently have a bunch of outstanding commissions ), but come on!
Old 02-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #18
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharard View Post
I've been waiting on one since 2014, so "timing" is relative. Clearly she has done commissions since then...
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #19
glorbgorb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerg View Post
I could be wrong (probably wrong), but my guess is that with alot of the habitually slow or wonky artists they probably get a request for something 'new' and are excited to do it so they crank it out. The requests for things that have been done a millions times they probably just push to the side, get bored and aren't fired up.
I could see this contributing to an extent, though it is in no way an excuse.

For the most part, as part of my 'interview' process with artists, I would ask about how specific they wanted me to be. I collected Firestar and Rhino, so sometimes I had a certain costume I was looking for or a version of a character, or an adaptation of a cover.

By far the best was Sonny Strait. He did a few for me that I will never sell, and always sent me pics of multiple versions along the way to see what I liked best or to make sure it was what I was looking for. He even finished a couple versions of a Rhino/Thing to see how they turned out, and sent them all to me.

Last edited by glorbgorb; 02-14-2018 at 04:31 PM.
glorbgorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:35 AM   #20
HiltonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
That's nothing, I've been waiting on ... Ray Dillon for nearly 9 years.
That Dillon/DeLiz story is just evergreen, isn't it? I thought I heard they ran the holiday fundraiser/woe-is-me tale again.
HiltonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:38 AM   #21
dd316

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiltonL View Post
That Dillon/DeLiz story is just evergreen, isn't it? I thought I heard they ran the holiday fundraiser/woe-is-me tale again.
Wow, it really is. I wasn't aware of "round two" but found it addressed here about halfway down: https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...c-relationship

I know I'm one of many who were bilked by this couple. I've had Ray respond to emails and even show some progress of my commission, but then he disappears until I press him again. We've lived through an entire two-term presidency while I've been sitting idly by.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #22
jrosales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Hope View Post
Unfortunately he and several others have developed this type of reputation suddenly, for whatever reason, when they previously were top-notch. I'd like to know what drives some artists to suddenly go rogue.

Always open to discussing sketch card commissions. Please PM me for my availability.

Last edited by jrosales; 02-15-2018 at 09:49 AM.
jrosales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:45 AM   #23
jrosales

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusdukky View Post
JRosales is a class act. He did a sketch for me and it was finished and sent to me in 2 weeks. Great guy to deal with!!!
I appreciate the kind words! I loved creating your George Brett card.

Always open to discussing sketch card commissions. Please PM me for my availability.

Last edited by jrosales; 02-15-2018 at 09:47 AM.
jrosales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #24
jedipencil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudzud View Post
That is sooo kind of you... You are also an excellent person to work with.
Little Shoppe of Artwork: http://rabidhorse.com/shopify-store-artist-proof-and-psc/
jedipencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:52 AM   #25
Ty Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrosales View Post
Unfortunately he and several others have developed this type of reputation suddenly, for whatever reason, when they previously were top-notch. I'd like to know what drives some artists to suddenly go rogue.
Not only that but I commissioned him for a totally different project too, the cover of my book. It got REAL ugly. I paid and was promised it to be done by a certain time. It wasn’t. Was told at least 10 times “I promise by next week.” This went on for MONTHS. It held up the entire publishing process. I finally exploded on facebook for the world to see in a scathing multi-page rant. Only then did he apologize profusely and finally did the cover.
It ended up coming out great, but it would be difficult for me to recommend him for commissions. It’s a shame too because his work is amazing.

Last edited by Ty Hope; 02-15-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Ty Hope is online now   Reply With Quote