Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-12-2018, 09:34 PM   #376
tlschwerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood42 View Post
Reports are that we have made an offer to the Rays for Archer
The offer is two weeks old and likely headlined by Kepler. Heís a breakout candidate in 2018, but he Gordon, and Romero are not near enough. Also,
Marc Topkin immediately laughed off LENís report. Archer isnít moving unless the Twins blow Tampa away.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:16 PM   #377
dashcol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlschwerz View Post
The offer is two weeks old and likely headlined by Kepler. Heís a breakout candidate in 2018, but he Gordon, and Romero are not near enough. Also,
Marc Topkin immediately laughed off LENís report. Archer isnít moving unless the Twins blow Tampa away.
I didnít know the offer was two weeks old, interesting how the news is just breaking now about it.

I think the deal would be more fitting something like:

Archer and Span (we take all Spans contract)
For
Kepler, Lewis, Gordon, Romero

I donít want Span back, especially with a $21 million contract for two years, plus bonuses. On the other hand would really like to have Archer. Archer is owed just over $31 million for four years. With no bonuses. So if we think of it like we are paying Arxher $52 mill for four years maybe that lessens the blow some?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152953675@N04/albums
dashcol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:45 PM   #378
CC_123

Personally, I don't want Archer if it means we have to deal Royce Lewis. We haven't had a high caliber SS for so long. I don't think its worth risking the future with Lewis for a couple of years of "effective" Archer, especially in todays day in age where pitchers are having Tommy John incredibly often. To me, its difficult to give up three key pieces in the farm system (who will have an MLB impact) for a pitcher who is 29 years old, has only one winning season, an ERA near 4 for his career, and a WAR under 2 for the last 2 seasons.

Personally, if we were going to trade for a SP, I'd be fine trading for a guy that won't gut the farm system like Stroman, Nola, Wacha, etc. Those guys would be able to do just as well, if not better, than Archer and they'd be a hell of a lot cheaper (I am in no way saying they wouldn't cost a nice prospect or two, but it wouldn't require dealing Lewis for any of them and maybe not even Romero).

Last edited by CC_123; 02-12-2018 at 11:49 PM.
CC_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:20 AM   #379
mnvikingstwins

Don't think we'd be willing at all to give up Lewis, way too high of trade value
Old 02-13-2018, 12:29 AM   #380
Hollywood42

Royce is probably off the table. I also don't think a trade for Archer is going to happen
Hollywood42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:17 AM   #381
dashcol

Looks like Plouffe is going to the Rangers. Glad to see him get another chance somewhere, I don’t think last year was really indicative of what he can do. I always liked him on the Twins, just never could seem to pull it all together to stay effective and we had to let him go for some younger guys to come and take over.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152953675@N04/albums
dashcol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #382
Athey49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
Don't think we'd be willing at all to give up Lewis, way too high of trade value
He should be the only untouchable we have in our system. If we're serious about making a run here, I think we need to overpay for Archer now..simple as that. Gordon, Kepler, Romero would be a good start in my opinion. Another lower level prospect (someone along the line of Kinney). We could take Span's contract as some mentioned and he would be a serviceable 4-5 outfielder if we don't cut ties right away.

At this point I'm perfectly content overpaying for Arietta. We need to get things moving fast before we miss out.
Athey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #383
pac_rat_76

I'd just like them to have someone signed in time for them to report with pitchers and catchers but that doesn't seem to be happening! I'm not on board with overpaying for Archer either. As someone else mentioned there are pitchers out there who can give us similar to what he offers and wouldn't cost so much to get.
pac_rat_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:08 PM   #384
Athey49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac_rat_76 View Post
I'd just like them to have someone signed in time for them to report with pitchers and catchers but that doesn't seem to be happening! I'm not on board with overpaying for Archer either. As someone else mentioned there are pitchers out there who can give us similar to what he offers and wouldn't cost so much to get.
I'd disagree. I don't see Philly letting go of Nola at all (he's too young and Philly will be playing for Wild Card baseball in 2-3 years). I like Archer more than Stroman..after that there's not many top pitchers available in my opinion
Old 02-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #385
pac_rat_76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athey49 View Post
I'd disagree. I don't see Philly letting go of Nola at all (he's too young and Philly will be playing for Wild Card baseball in 2-3 years). I like Archer more than Stroman..after that there's not many top pitchers available in my opinion
But why overpay for Archer if we could get Stroman on a better deal? I don't see a substantial difference in the two.

Archer: 51-63, 3.63 ERA, 11.8 WAR
Stroman: 37-25, 3.61 ERA, 10.9 WAR

Personally I'd prefer Stroman. If you put any weight into BB Reference projections, they project Stroman having a better year as well. I know it's all what if's and opinions at this point but it is what it is.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #386
Athey49

Quote:
But why overpay for Archer if we could get Stroman on a better deal? I don't see a substantial difference in the two.

Archer: 51-63, 3.63 ERA, 11.8 WAR
Stroman: 37-25, 3.61 ERA, 10.9 WAR

Personally I'd prefer Stroman. If you put any weight into BB Reference projections, they project Stroman having a better year as well. I know it's all what if's and opinions at this point but it is what it is.
Dont get me wrong, I'd love Stroman as well. But with his age, I really think Toronto would want way too much. I don't see them being sellers quite yet either.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:48 PM   #387
pac_rat_76

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, I'd love Stroman as well. But with his age, I really think Toronto would want way too much. I don't see them being sellers quite yet either.
Hopefully they can find a mutually beneficial deal without giving up the farm!
Old 02-13-2018, 01:14 PM   #388
tlschwerz

I can't see the Rays moving Archer at all. They'd want Lewis and that's not happening. If we land a Tampa pitcher, it's probably Jake Odorizzi.

Just sign Lynn or Cobb and get them to camp.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:17 PM   #389
Hollywood42

Agree with you the Rays won't move Archer, but I don't think they're set on Royce. Just would ask too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlschwerz View Post
I can't see the Rays moving Archer at all. They'd want Lewis and that's not happening. If we land a Tampa pitcher, it's probably Jake Odorizzi.

Just sign Lynn or Cobb and get them to camp.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:23 PM   #390
Athey49

Rays aren't going to get any #1 prospect for Archer right now (midseason is a different story). Yes he has a friendly contract, but he's got some miles on him. He may get 2 or 3 top prospects from a desperate team, but right now I don't see them getting a team's best player. Rays need to understand they're not going to be competitive until Archer's contract is almost over and he's past his prime..they may overpay their hand with him.

But please hurry up and get a pitcher, I'm getting anxious
Old 02-13-2018, 05:31 PM   #391
youseekyoda421

While we wait for our pitcher...

anyone look at the 2018 Promotions schedule? The three outfield bobbleheads look nifty, but I don't see any particularly different or innovative items.

National Baseball Card day is August 1. The Jack Morris and Jim Thome HOF nights look good too. Maybe they'll add a item for those?
youseekyoda421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #392
pac_rat_76

Happy Pitchers & Catchers Day!

To heck with that Hallmark Holiday.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:15 PM   #393
Hollywood42

Much happiness!

Quote:
Happy Pitchers & Catchers Day!

To heck with that Hallmark Holiday.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #394
tlschwerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by youseekyoda421 View Post

anyone look at the 2018 Promotions schedule? The three outfield bobbleheads look nifty, but I don't see any particularly different or innovative items.

National Baseball Card day is August 1. The Jack Morris and Jim Thome HOF nights look good too. Maybe they'll add a item for those?
Should end up being 5 bobbleheads I believe. The three outfield ones, Johan, and Star Wars night (special ticket). Each year, that's really the only thing I care about. Wish Thome would've gotten one, his time here was great.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #395
yrocks2001

Quote:
Rays aren't going to get any #1 prospect for Archer right now (midseason is a different story). Yes he has a friendly contract, but he's got some miles on him. He may get 2 or 3 top prospects from a desperate team, but right now I don't see them getting a team's best player. Rays need to understand they're not going to be competitive until Archer's contract is almost over and he's past his prime..they may overpay their hand with him.

But please hurry up and get a pitcher, I'm getting anxious
Past his prime? He's 29 years old, younger than just about any Free Agent pitcher that's available. He has pitched a lot but doesn't that speak to his durability?

I do think Lewis is untouchable at this point but any 3-4 other prospects or Kepler + prospects makes sense for the Twins.

Archer will still have a lot of value for at least two more seasons unless he has a major injury which is possible.

I don't think the Rays trade Archer unless they also have plans to unload Odorizzi, Colome and others and with them attempting to get a new ballpark deal done I don't see that happening with a team that looks like the Marlins.

I think the Twins can get a deal done but it'll likely take Kepler, Gordon, Romero, and another low level prospect.
yrocks2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #396
pac_rat_76

Quote:
Originally Posted by youseekyoda421 View Post

A Johan HOF Pin and bobblehead! Might have to go to my first game since 2010.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #397
Athey49

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrocks2001 View Post
Past his prime? He's 29 years old, younger than just about any Free Agent pitcher that's available. He has pitched a lot but doesn't that speak to his durability?

I do think Lewis is untouchable at this point but any 3-4 other prospects or Kepler + prospects makes sense for the Twins.

Archer will still have a lot of value for at least two more seasons unless he has a major injury which is possible.

I don't think the Rays trade Archer unless they also have plans to unload Odorizzi, Colome and others and with them attempting to get a new ballpark deal done I don't see that happening with a team that looks like the Marlins.

I think the Twins can get a deal done but it'll likely take Kepler, Gordon, Romero, and another low level prospect.
I'm saying when Archer's contract is up he'll be past his prime (in my opinion). Still doesn't mean he won't be a top pitcher
Old 02-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #398
clarkzac

Twins Road to Opening Day Topps Now sets are up. They actually have an autograph set this year. Expect there to be a lot of Felix Jorge and Zack Granite autos coming out of them. Here's the autograph checklist for it-
Felix Jorge
Zack Granite
Brian Dozier
Byron Buxton
Old 02-15-2018, 06:01 PM   #399
youseekyoda421

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkzac View Post
Twins Road to Opening Day Topps Now sets are up. They actually have an autograph set this year. Expect there to be a lot of Felix Jorge and Zack Granite autos coming out of them. Here's the autograph checklist for it-
Felix Jorge
Zack Granite
Brian Dozier
Byron Buxton
Nice to see Topps produce a Dozier auto. I don't think they've had one since 2012 Heritage High Numbers.

I see that I can buy the set on eBay for $69.75. It's always nice to help someone get free autographs

Buying 5 regular (that is, no auto) sets gives a bulk discount to $36/set. 10 sets would $35/set. Anyone else interested in a group buy?

I'd consider the regular set at $36. Hard to justify paying $35 for an autograph.
youseekyoda421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:03 PM   #400
Hollywood42

I'm a RtOD noob. So you get these set (plus the auto if you buy it) no matter what, but you get special cards if the Twins do one of the things listed on that page, like win the division or have a player hit 3 HR in a game- right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkzac View Post
Felix Jorge
Zack Granite
Brian Dozier
Byron Buxton