Blowout Cards Forums
2018 football

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 09:34 PM   #376
tlschwerz
Member
 
tlschwerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood42 View Post
Reports are that we have made an offer to the Rays for Archer
The offer is two weeks old and likely headlined by Kepler. Heís a breakout candidate in 2018, but he Gordon, and Romero are not near enough. Also,
Marc Topkin immediately laughed off LENís report. Archer isnít moving unless the Twins blow Tampa away.
__________________
http://offthebaggy.blogspot.com/
tlschwerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:16 PM   #377
dashcol
Member
 
dashcol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlschwerz View Post
The offer is two weeks old and likely headlined by Kepler. Heís a breakout candidate in 2018, but he Gordon, and Romero are not near enough. Also,
Marc Topkin immediately laughed off LENís report. Archer isnít moving unless the Twins blow Tampa away.
I didnít know the offer was two weeks old, interesting how the news is just breaking now about it.

I think the deal would be more fitting something like:

Archer and Span (we take all Spans contract)
For
Kepler, Lewis, Gordon, Romero

I donít want Span back, especially with a $21 million contract for two years, plus bonuses. On the other hand would really like to have Archer. Archer is owed just over $31 million for four years. With no bonuses. So if we think of it like we are paying Arxher $52 mill for four years maybe that lessens the blow some?
__________________
Looking for pre 1970 Topps PSA graded cards.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152953675@N04/albums
dashcol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:45 PM   #378
CC_123
Member
 
CC_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 15,197
Default

Personally, I don't want Archer if it means we have to deal Royce Lewis. We haven't had a high caliber SS for so long. I don't think its worth risking the future with Lewis for a couple of years of "effective" Archer, especially in todays day in age where pitchers are having Tommy John incredibly often. To me, its difficult to give up three key pieces in the farm system (who will have an MLB impact) for a pitcher who is 29 years old, has only one winning season, an ERA near 4 for his career, and a WAR under 2 for the last 2 seasons.

Personally, if we were going to trade for a SP, I'd be fine trading for a guy that won't gut the farm system like Stroman, Nola, Wacha, etc. Those guys would be able to do just as well, if not better, than Archer and they'd be a hell of a lot cheaper (I am in no way saying they wouldn't cost a nice prospect or two, but it wouldn't require dealing Lewis for any of them and maybe not even Romero).
__________________
I collect Eric Decker, David Cobb, Maxx Williams, Bobby Jackson, Glen Perkins, Vikings Contenders Autos!
Looking for 2013 Prizm Eric Decker Numbered Refractors
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150768054@N07/albums/with/72157680856431204

Last edited by CC_123; 02-12-2018 at 11:49 PM.
CC_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:20 AM   #379
mnvikingstwins
Member
 
mnvikingstwins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 33,899
Default

Don't think we'd be willing at all to give up Lewis, way too high of trade value
__________________
Collecting Zack Littell
ROW THE BOAT & SKI-U-MAH
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:29 AM   #380
Hollywood42
Member
 
Hollywood42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 21,234
Default

Royce is probably off the table. I also don't think a trade for Archer is going to happen
__________________
Supercollecting the Twins and Chris Herrmann (73% without 1/1s, 66% with)
All wants/haves- hollywood42scards.webs.com | Pics of my PC- sportscardalbum.com/u/Hollywood42
Blowout's Minnesota Twins Face of the Franchise
Hollywood42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:17 AM   #381
dashcol
Member
 
dashcol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,060
Default

Looks like Plouffe is going to the Rangers. Glad to see him get another chance somewhere, I don’t think last year was really indicative of what he can do. I always liked him on the Twins, just never could seem to pull it all together to stay effective and we had to let him go for some younger guys to come and take over.
__________________
Looking for pre 1970 Topps PSA graded cards.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152953675@N04/albums
dashcol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #382
Athey49
Member
 
Athey49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
Don't think we'd be willing at all to give up Lewis, way too high of trade value
He should be the only untouchable we have in our system. If we're serious about making a run here, I think we need to overpay for Archer now..simple as that. Gordon, Kepler, Romero would be a good start in my opinion. Another lower level prospect (someone along the line of Kinney). We could take Span's contract as some mentioned and he would be a serviceable 4-5 outfielder if we don't cut ties right away.

At this point I'm perfectly content overpaying for Arietta. We need to get things moving fast before we miss out.
__________________
San Fran Football Fan
Bring me your Stephen Gonsalves!
LISTEN TO DYLAN
Athey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #383
pac_rat_76
Member
 
pac_rat_76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 918
Default

I'd just like them to have someone signed in time for them to report with pitchers and catchers but that doesn't seem to be happening! I'm not on board with overpaying for Archer either. As someone else mentioned there are pitchers out there who can give us similar to what he offers and wouldn't cost so much to get.
pac_rat_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:08 PM   #384
Athey49
Member
 
Athey49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac_rat_76 View Post
I'd just like them to have someone signed in time for them to report with pitchers and catchers but that doesn't seem to be happening! I'm not on board with overpaying for Archer either. As someone else mentioned there are pitchers out there who can give us similar to what he offers and wouldn't cost so much to get.
I'd disagree. I don't see Philly letting go of Nola at all (he's too young and Philly will be playing for Wild Card baseball in 2-3 years). I like Archer more than Stroman..after that there's not many top pitchers available in my opinion
__________________
San Fran Football Fan
Bring me your Stephen Gonsalves!
LISTEN TO DYLAN
Athey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #385
pac_rat_76
Member
 
pac_rat_76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athey49 View Post
I'd disagree. I don't see Philly letting go of Nola at all (he's too young and Philly will be playing for Wild Card baseball in 2-3 years). I like Archer more than Stroman..after that there's not many top pitchers available in my opinion
But why overpay for Archer if we could get Stroman on a better deal? I don't see a substantial difference in the two.

Archer: 51-63, 3.63 ERA, 11.8 WAR
Stroman: 37-25, 3.61 ERA, 10.9 WAR

Personally I'd prefer Stroman. If you put any weight into BB Reference projections, they project Stroman having a better year as well. I know it's all what if's and opinions at this point but it is what it is.
pac_rat_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #386
Athey49
Member
 
Athey49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac_rat_76 View Post
But why overpay for Archer if we could get Stroman on a better deal? I don't see a substantial difference in the two.

Archer: 51-63, 3.63 ERA, 11.8 WAR
Stroman: 37-25, 3.61 ERA, 10.9 WAR

Personally I'd prefer Stroman. If you put any weight into BB Reference projections, they project Stroman having a better year as well. I know it's all what if's and opinions at this point but it is what it is.
Dont get me wrong, I'd love Stroman as well. But with his age, I really think Toronto would want way too much. I don't see them being sellers quite yet either.
__________________
San Fran Football Fan
Bring me your Stephen Gonsalves!
LISTEN TO DYLAN
Athey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:48 PM   #387
pac_rat_76
Member
 
pac_rat_76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athey49 View Post
Dont get me wrong, I'd love Stroman as well. But with his age, I really think Toronto would want way too much. I don't see them being sellers quite yet either.
Hopefully they can find a mutually beneficial deal without giving up the farm!
pac_rat_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:14 PM   #388
tlschwerz
Member
 
tlschwerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 249
Default

I can't see the Rays moving Archer at all. They'd want Lewis and that's not happening. If we land a Tampa pitcher, it's probably Jake Odorizzi.

Just sign Lynn or Cobb and get them to camp.
__________________
http://offthebaggy.blogspot.com/
tlschwerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:17 PM   #389
Hollywood42
Member
 
Hollywood42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 21,234
Default

Agree with you the Rays won't move Archer, but I don't think they're set on Royce. Just would ask too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlschwerz View Post
I can't see the Rays moving Archer at all. They'd want Lewis and that's not happening. If we land a Tampa pitcher, it's probably Jake Odorizzi.

Just sign Lynn or Cobb and get them to camp.
__________________
Supercollecting the Twins and Chris Herrmann (73% without 1/1s, 66% with)
All wants/haves- hollywood42scards.webs.com | Pics of my PC- sportscardalbum.com/u/Hollywood42
Blowout's Minnesota Twins Face of the Franchise
Hollywood42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:23 PM   #390
Athey49
Member
 
Athey49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,624
Default

Rays aren't going to get any #1 prospect for Archer right now (midseason is a different story). Yes he has a friendly contract, but he's got some miles on him. He may get 2 or 3 top prospects from a desperate team, but right now I don't see them getting a team's best player. Rays need to understand they're not going to be competitive until Archer's contract is almost over and he's past his prime..they may overpay their hand with him.


But please hurry up and get a pitcher, I'm getting anxious
__________________
San Fran Football Fan
Bring me your Stephen Gonsalves!
LISTEN TO DYLAN
Athey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:31 PM   #391
youseekyoda421
Member
 
youseekyoda421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 317
Default

While we wait for our pitcher...

anyone look at the 2018 Promotions schedule? The three outfield bobbleheads look nifty, but I don't see any particularly different or innovative items.

National Baseball Card day is August 1. The Jack Morris and Jim Thome HOF nights look good too. Maybe they'll add a item for those?
youseekyoda421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #392
pac_rat_76
Member
 
pac_rat_76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 918
Default

Happy Pitchers & Catchers Day!

To heck with that Hallmark Holiday.
pac_rat_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:15 PM   #393
Hollywood42
Member
 
Hollywood42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 21,234
Default

Much happiness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac_rat_76 View Post
Happy Pitchers & Catchers Day!

To heck with that Hallmark Holiday.
__________________
Supercollecting the Twins and Chris Herrmann (73% without 1/1s, 66% with)
All wants/haves- hollywood42scards.webs.com | Pics of my PC- sportscardalbum.com/u/Hollywood42
Blowout's Minnesota Twins Face of the Franchise
Hollywood42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #394
tlschwerz
Member
 
tlschwerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by youseekyoda421 View Post
While we wait for our pitcher...

anyone look at the 2018 Promotions schedule? The three outfield bobbleheads look nifty, but I don't see any particularly different or innovative items.

National Baseball Card day is August 1. The Jack Morris and Jim Thome HOF nights look good too. Maybe they'll add a item for those?
Should end up being 5 bobbleheads I believe. The three outfield ones, Johan, and Star Wars night (special ticket). Each year, that's really the only thing I care about. Wish Thome would've gotten one, his time here was great.
__________________
http://offthebaggy.blogspot.com/
tlschwerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #395
yrocks2001
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 971
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athey49 View Post
Rays aren't going to get any #1 prospect for Archer right now (midseason is a different story). Yes he has a friendly contract, but he's got some miles on him. He may get 2 or 3 top prospects from a desperate team, but right now I don't see them getting a team's best player. Rays need to understand they're not going to be competitive until Archer's contract is almost over and he's past his prime..they may overpay their hand with him.


But please hurry up and get a pitcher, I'm getting anxious
Past his prime? He's 29 years old, younger than just about any Free Agent pitcher that's available. He has pitched a lot but doesn't that speak to his durability?

I do think Lewis is untouchable at this point but any 3-4 other prospects or Kepler + prospects makes sense for the Twins.

Archer will still have a lot of value for at least two more seasons unless he has a major injury which is possible.

I don't think the Rays trade Archer unless they also have plans to unload Odorizzi, Colome and others and with them attempting to get a new ballpark deal done I don't see that happening with a team that looks like the Marlins.

I think the Twins can get a deal done but it'll likely take Kepler, Gordon, Romero, and another low level prospect.
yrocks2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #396
pac_rat_76
Member
 
pac_rat_76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by youseekyoda421 View Post
While we wait for our pitcher...

anyone look at the 2018 Promotions schedule? The three outfield bobbleheads look nifty, but I don't see any particularly different or innovative items.

National Baseball Card day is August 1. The Jack Morris and Jim Thome HOF nights look good too. Maybe they'll add a item for those?
A Johan HOF Pin and bobblehead! Might have to go to my first game since 2010.
pac_rat_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #397
Athey49
Member
 
Athey49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrocks2001 View Post
Past his prime? He's 29 years old, younger than just about any Free Agent pitcher that's available. He has pitched a lot but doesn't that speak to his durability?

I do think Lewis is untouchable at this point but any 3-4 other prospects or Kepler + prospects makes sense for the Twins.

Archer will still have a lot of value for at least two more seasons unless he has a major injury which is possible.

I don't think the Rays trade Archer unless they also have plans to unload Odorizzi, Colome and others and with them attempting to get a new ballpark deal done I don't see that happening with a team that looks like the Marlins.

I think the Twins can get a deal done but it'll likely take Kepler, Gordon, Romero, and another low level prospect.
I'm saying when Archer's contract is up he'll be past his prime (in my opinion). Still doesn't mean he won't be a top pitcher
__________________
San Fran Football Fan
Bring me your Stephen Gonsalves!
LISTEN TO DYLAN
Athey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #398
clarkzac
Member
 
clarkzac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,920
Default

Twins Road to Opening Day Topps Now sets are up. They actually have an autograph set this year. Expect there to be a lot of Felix Jorge and Zack Granite autos coming out of them. Here's the autograph checklist for it-
Felix Jorge
Zack Granite
Brian Dozier
Byron Buxton
__________________
http://s963.photobucket.com/user/clarkzac/library/Cards%20for%20Trade?sort=4&page=1
clarkzac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:01 PM   #399
youseekyoda421
Member
 
youseekyoda421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkzac View Post
Twins Road to Opening Day Topps Now sets are up. They actually have an autograph set this year. Expect there to be a lot of Felix Jorge and Zack Granite autos coming out of them. Here's the autograph checklist for it-
Felix Jorge
Zack Granite
Brian Dozier
Byron Buxton
Nice to see Topps produce a Dozier auto. I don't think they've had one since 2012 Heritage High Numbers.

I see that I can buy the set on eBay for $69.75. It's always nice to help someone get free autographs

Buying 5 regular (that is, no auto) sets gives a bulk discount to $36/set. 10 sets would $35/set. Anyone else interested in a group buy?

I'd consider the regular set at $36. Hard to justify paying $35 for an autograph.
youseekyoda421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:03 PM   #400
Hollywood42
Member
 
Hollywood42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 21,234
Default

I'm a RtOD noob. So you get these set (plus the auto if you buy it) no matter what, but you get special cards if the Twins do one of the things listed on that page, like win the division or have a player hit 3 HR in a game- right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkzac View Post
Twins Road to Opening Day Topps Now sets are up. They actually have an autograph set this year. Expect there to be a lot of Felix Jorge and Zack Granite autos coming out of them. Here's the autograph checklist for it-
Felix Jorge
Zack Granite
Brian Dozier
Byron Buxton
__________________
Supercollecting the Twins and Chris Herrmann (73% without 1/1s, 66% with)
All wants/haves- hollywood42scards.webs.com | Pics of my PC- sportscardalbum.com/u/Hollywood42
Blowout's Minnesota Twins Face of the Franchise
Hollywood42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.