Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 10-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
ManInTheMirror
Banned

Default Advice on which blaster to get...

For reasons unexplained, I came into some money recently and have been able to make some very awesome purchases. Thank you to everyone I've bought from recently. I will be updating my PC mailthread with the new aquisitions. I have my last bit of money and want to buy a blaster. I want advice please! I have the feeling that most people's answer will be Chrome. I see that, it's newest and fun. I did already buy a Chrome blaster (my first blaster ever) and while it was fun to open I felt a little let down. I got some good refractors, a good Gridiron Lineage and some reprints but nothing huge. Only 3 cards for my PC.

Before any of your advice is taken into consideration, I am leaning Platinum. My other options I believe to be EPIX, Classics and something else I can't remember. I was watching some breaks on youtube (actually came across avjp87, big shoutout! kinda caught me off guard when I noticed his name) and it seems like Platinum is a good bet. Remember this is about my last spendin' money for a good while so it would be very helpful to hit a good auto/patch with this money so I can use it for tradebait. This has gotten too long... I should have just left it at:

Which blaster should I buy from Target/Wal-mart today?

EDIT
: I decided on 1 Platinum and 1 Score. Thanks for the advice everyone i really do appreciate your help.

This is my break thread for these 2 blasters: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/f...tml#post804586

Last edited by ManInTheMirror; 10-22-2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: no more advice needed!
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
mnvikingstwins

I'd stay away from Platinum, seems to have cooled down a lot since the release. You could get another Chrome, or see if they have anything good in the half off section
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
nacowboys

I would. Save your money till a new one comes out best chance at hitting something
nacowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
SethMurphy

just some advice, i recently got back in too, and started with retail too as a way to break cheap.... i might suggest starting to save where you can and start picking up some boxes (cheaper to start, Topps Chrome, Topps Hobby, maybe some older stuff) that at least will guarantee you some hits. That way you will either be able to sell for more cash, or at least have even more trade bait for your PC. That's how my PC really grew.... you can see in my bucket and I probably don't have another 50 cards scanned, at least. Just some friendly advice.... retail is such a gamble, much much more of a gamble than regular hobby.

EDIT - and by this I mean if you are buying say 3 blasters every week or two weeks, that's about $65 (with tax or so)..... and you might get one hit out of those three boxes... now for $65 you could probably get a box of something that guarantees 4 hits (like a lot of Panini's products this year)... just an alternative, you never know when you are going to hit cards that sell for over $150 (I have done it three times this year, Tebow twice and Ryan Mathews once)

Last edited by SethMurphy; 10-22-2010 at 01:48 PM.
SethMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
ghost

Epix has been trash this year. I cannot believe there has not been more of an out cry about it.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
Divino

Stay away from any panini blasters. They guaruntee 2 inserts, which is terrible for $19.99. Go with topps chrome!
Old 10-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
pmannings#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethMurphy View Post
just some advice, i recently got back in too, and started with retail too as a way to break cheap.... i might suggest starting to save where you can and start picking up some boxes (cheaper to start, Topps Chrome, Topps Hobby, maybe some older stuff) that at least will guarantee you some hits. That way you will either be able to sell for more cash, or at least have even more trade bait for your PC. That's how my PC really grew.... you can see in my bucket and I probably don't have another 50 cards scanned, at least. Just some friendly advice.... retail is such a gamble, much much more of a gamble than regular hobby.

EDIT - and by this I mean if you are buying say 3 blasters every week or two weeks, that's about $65 (with tax or so)..... and you might get one hit out of those three boxes... now for $65 you could probably get a box of something that guarantees 4 hits (like a lot of Panini's products this year)... just an alternative, you never know when you are going to hit cards that sell for over $150 (I have done it three times this year, Tebow twice and Ryan Mathews once)
I agree with Seth, I'm lucky enough to buy a mid-end box maybe every month & a half or 2 months. You can score some good PC and if not you get trade bait to swap for PC! Either way, win win. Wish ya MoJo with whatever you choose bud!!
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
bigdaddyblue73

Id still fo with Chrome. I pulled an auto from one and I know others have posted box breaks with Autos and some pretty nice other hits from Topps Chrome blasters.
bigdaddyblue73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
Shinypsptitans

Save $$$ to buy a hobby box!
Shinypsptitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
bboltz86

I recently bought 2 boxes of 2010 Topps Chrome Retail Blaster Boxes and pulled a Jacoby Ford Refractor Auto 38/50
bboltz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:37 PM   #11
mnvikingstwins

Do not get a blaster of 08 UD Heroes baseball, got one at Walmart for $9 and the only 'good card' was a Curtis Granderson /499
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote