Blowout Cards Forums
2018 tops chrome

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #51
Welker83

Quote:
Originally Posted by hreed2;9634281[B
]Trick R Treat[/B]
Killer Klowns from Outerspace
The Conjuring

Those aren't just 3 of my favorite horror movies, those are 3 of my favorite movies especially Trick R Treat. Killer Klowns is a pretty decent movie but a total guilty pleasure (how are they're not more scary clown movies that have their headquarters in a circus and amusement park?!?!) and the Conjuring surprisingly REALLY scared me when I saw it in the theater.
I think this movie is VERY underrated. Great movie
Welker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:54 PM   #52
SpastikMooss

Man...I love horror movies. So here's a short novella on different aspects of my tastes lol.

Funny you love House of 1,000 Corpses OP. I love The Devils Rejects...definitely one of my favorites. I like a lot of horror movies for being more fun or weird or distinctive more than like...horrifying or gory. So other horror films I love a lot include Idle Hands, Deadly Friend, Phantasm, Cabin Fever, Castle Freak, You're Next, Cherry Falls, Night of the Comet, and uncle Sam.

I agree Halloween is the best of the guys everyone remembers - but I also love me some Texas Chainsaw Massacre. And I think Pumpkinhead is pretty underrated.

In terms of movies I liked because they scared the crap out of me or made me feel nauseous, I'd go with Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, The Ring, Maniac (with Elijah Wood), and Deliverance (does that count as a horror movie? I'd say some of it does).

A few more obscure movies I liked include Visiting Hours, House of the Devil (which a ton of people know about but it's shot amazingly well), The People under the Stairs, and The Babadook.

Oh and after watching Insidious I had the only nightmare of my life where I woke up hyperventilating - freaked the crap outta my wife haha.

That's it for now. I was gonna add one other obscure movie but I can never remember the name. Searching for it right now...

Last edited by SpastikMooss; 08-08-2015 at 09:58 PM.
SpastikMooss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #53
lindeman79
Banned

What about the two I mentioned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpastikMooss View Post
Man...I love horror movies. So here's a short novella on different aspects of my tastes lol.

Funny you love House of 1,000 Corpses OP. I love The Devils Rejects...definitely one of my favorites. I like a lot of horror movies for being more fun or weird or distinctive more than like...horrifying or gory. So other horror films I love a lot include Idle Hands, Deadly Friend, Phantasm, Cabin Fever, Castle Freak, You're Next, Cherry Falls, Night of the Comet, and uncle Sam.

I agree Halloween is the best of the guys everyone remembers - but I also love me some Texas Chainsaw Massacre. And I think Pumpkinhead is pretty underrated.

In terms of movies I liked because they scared the crap out of me or made me feel nauseous, I'd go with Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, The Ring, Maniac (with Elijah Wood), and Deliverance (does that count as a horror movie? I'd say some of it does).

A few more obscure movies I liked include Visiting Hours, House of the Devil (which a ton of people know about but it's shot amazingly well), The People under the Stairs, and The Babadook.

Oh and after watching Insidious I had the only nightmare of my life where I woke up hyperventilating - freaked the crap outta my wife haha.

That's it for now. I was gonna add one other obscure movie but I can never remember the name. Searching for it right now...
lindeman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:20 PM   #54
SpastikMooss

Okay, three others I just thought of that I loved - Thankskilling, Stage Fright (2014 - I liked all the musical references) and Maniac Cop.

Oh and I LOVE the Puppetmaster movies. I know they're not good, really, but I binge watch them now and then.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #55
SpastikMooss

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindeman79 View Post
What about the two I mentioned?
Exorcism of Emily Rose was meh. Not terrible, but not my fave.

Troll I actually just saw for the first time, and I really liked it. People kind of forget about it because Troll 2 is so bad, but Troll has a lot of memorable aspects, plus it's got all the weird Harry Potter connections. Solid flick.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:24 PM   #56
Rhyster66
Inactive Account

Don't understand the love for Babadook... It was pretty overrated.
Rhyster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:26 PM   #57
Rhyster66
Inactive Account

Also sort of liked As Above So Below, wasn't too bad of a horror flick.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:27 PM   #58
SpastikMooss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyster66 View Post
Don't understand the love for Babadook... It was pretty overrated.
It was way more of like a drama about the Mom's life and what she's going through than a horror movie. And I felt all those aspects were really strong. Plus it was shot really well.

I agree that the monster, as a monster, was kind of meh once you really saw it. But I liked everything around that.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:32 PM   #59
Rhyster66
Inactive Account

Quote:
It was way more of like a drama about the Mom's life and what she's going through than a horror movie. And I felt all those aspects were really strong. Plus it was shot really well.

I agree that the monster, as a monster, was kind of meh once you really saw it. But I liked everything around that.
I couldn't really get into it in that respect due to the kids obnoxious screams.... Just made me want to hurt the kid tbh it got that annoying.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:34 PM   #60
SpastikMooss

Quote:
I couldn't really get into it in that respect due to the kids obnoxious screams.... Just made me want to hurt the kid tbh it got that annoying.
Lol, it seems most people that didn't like it hated the kid, which is fair. I have a lot of patience for that kind of crap so I was able to tune him out.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:36 PM   #61
Rhyster66
Inactive Account

Quote:
Lol, it seems most people that didn't like it hated the kid, which is fair. I have a lot of patience for that kind of crap so I was able to tune him out.
Yeeeah, if you can tolerate screaming children, and a kind of anticlimactic monster reveal, it's an alright movie.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:40 PM   #62
SpastikMooss

Quote:
Yeeeah, if you can tolerate screaming children, and a kind of anticlimactic monster reveal, it's an alright movie.
Lolol. I like a lot of movies for their parts rather than the whole. My wife will often come in to some stupid as heck movie and be like WHY? and I just say because you never know when there could be a good part.

I think Babadook had a lot of good parts, and as a whole those parts overcame a few major deficits.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #63
Rhyster66
Inactive Account

Quote:
Lolol. I like a lot of movies for their parts rather than the whole. My wife will often come in to some stupid as heck movie and be like WHY? and I just say because you never know when there could be a good part.

I think Babadook had a lot of good parts, and as a whole those parts overcame a few major deficits.
I mean, how do you buildup an evil Entity so much and then make him back down when he's about to kill the mom/kid?
Old 08-08-2015, 10:48 PM   #64
IronMonkey415

I enjoyed the movie called DEVIL.

It's about a few people stuck in an elevator and one of them is the devil.

🙈 - 🙉 - 🙊
Bound by blood. Divided by fate. Driven by destiny
IronMonkey415 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:52 PM   #65
Rhyster66
Inactive Account

So so so sorry

Last edited by Rhyster66; 08-08-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:53 PM   #66
IronMonkey415

I don't want to spoil it for other that haven't seen it. Want them to be at the edge of their seat wondering who is the devil..LOL

🙈 - 🙉 - 🙊
Old 08-08-2015, 10:54 PM   #67
IronMonkey415

Two oldies that I enjoyed

🙈 - 🙉 - 🙊
Old 08-08-2015, 10:56 PM   #68
SpastikMooss

Quote:
I mean, how do you buildup an evil Entity so much and then make him back down when he's about to kill the mom/kid?
Because the entity is a metaphor for the feelings she's dealing with and early on she can't handle them and everything is too much and by the end when she's finally coming to terms with things and actually dealing with her emotions she has the strength to conquer it and that's why it backs down. It's not like...a literal monster movie. It's all mental and a lot of people were unsatisfied with that but if you look at it that way it's really good.

It sort of reminded me of Tall Man with Jessica Biel. Similar movie where everything is set up with one expectation...but then everything switches and the monster isn't what he seems. I found the other stuff going on to be WAY more satisfying in Babadook than in Tall Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMonkey415 View Post
I enjoyed the movie called DEVIL.

It's about a few people stuck in an elevator and one of them is the devil.
That was a nice little movie.

Also I think I thought of the other movie I really liked - I wanna say it's called Pieces, from the 80's. I can't remember though...seems like that one was all on a college campus and the one I remember had someone going into a garage and a weird bedroom scene.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:59 PM   #69
IronMonkey415

I haven't seen Pieces yet.
Sounds interesting
Pieces (1982) - IMDb

🙈 - 🙉 - 🙊
Old 08-08-2015, 11:02 PM   #70
SpastikMooss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMonkey415 View Post
I haven't seen Pieces yet.
Sounds interesting
Pieces (1982) - IMDb
I love the whole 80's killer trope where some dude kills like 5-9 people due to issues from his childhood. There's like 100 movies with that general plot, but some do it better than others, and I think Pieces was one of those. Still not sure if it's the movie I'm thinking of though. Might need to rewatch to check haha.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:19 PM   #71
Rhyster66
Inactive Account

Has 1408 been mentioned yet?
Old 08-08-2015, 11:47 PM   #72
Kingofkings1281

1. Halloween (78)

2. Martyrs

3. Inside

4. The Descent

5. The Devils Rejects

6. Saw

7. Hellraiser

8. High Tension

9. Spring

10. Proxy

That list could change from day to day for me minus the top 5. Unfortunately the horror genre is in a bit of a rut at the moment. Most of the mainstream releases have been nothing but crappy jump scare CGI fests (I'm looking at you Paranormal series, The Conjuring, Haunting in Connecticut, Insidious series, etc.) The majority of great horror films over the last decade have come from other countries. The U.S. is just churning out garbage and remaking said horror films because people are too stupid to read subtitles. I'm looking forward to laughing at the inevitably awful remake of Martyrs at the moment.

http://kingofkings1281.imgur.com
Kingofkings1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:54 PM   #73
majestik101

As far as atmospheric horror movies go, I really enjoyed The Others. Cannot wait to see Guillermo Del Toro's Crimson Peak when it comes out.

And I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Also if any of you want a really good old school horror movie, see The Legend of Hell House.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:02 AM   #74
Kingofkings1281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hess687 View Post
Saw that some of you were big horror movie people. I, too, love a good horror movie. Not really a fan of the Paranormal Activity series or any other ones that use the first person camera throughout the whole movie. I think it's been played out and is more annoying than anything. Also really don't care for the straight gore (i.e. Hostel).....there's a difference between scaring me and just grossing me out. I want to be scared.

With that being said, I was wondering what horror movies were your favorites or maybe other horror movie buffs have yet to see and you could share....

My all time favorite would be House of 1000 Corpses by Rob Zombie.

A few others:

- It Follows (not a lot of publicity on this one, but if you go into it thinking "80's throwback" you'll absolutely love it, the music to build tension, the teenage sex which always appeared in the 80's horror films, very underrated but great movie)

- Michael Myers first, then Jason, then Freddy in that order.....I'm ready for a reboot of any of those franchises though

- Scream (always a classic)

- Saw (the original...although they did have a few others that were pretty good)

- Insidious (the first one was one of the better horror movies I've seen in a long time)

I know there's more, but wanted to see what others you guys thought were worth the watch....
Good thing you're ready for a reboot to the three main franchises, because "Halloween Returns" (a continuation from the original Halloween 2) , "Friday the 13th" (being remade again), and "A Nightmare on Elm Street (also being remade again) are all scheduled to hit in the next two years.

http://kingofkings1281.imgur.com
Kingofkings1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:12 AM   #75
SpastikMooss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofkings1281 View Post
"Halloween Returns" (a continuation from the original Halloween 2)
So you're saying there's gonna be a new Halloween 3?!?!?!