Blowout Cards Forums
2018 mem day coupons

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 01-16-2018, 12:33 AM   #1
neil34

Default BGS Grading from overseas, Need help

Hi guys, I have got some questions regard to sending high end cards in bulk to BGS. wish someone here can give me some advise.

I live in Melbourne Australia. Back to collecting since 2008 and high end rookie only. At moment I have about 50 cards value around 250k US dollars. i want to send to get graded. my options are:

1. go through local card shop. Fortunately, there is a card shop in the town. The owner is very nice guy and reliable. which i have spoken to him. and we are waiting for the quote from shipping company.

2. i fly to US and bring the cards with myself. Then do it myself while i am in the states. because i assume the cost send by local card shop would be close to get a return flight ticket. But,for doing this, My questions are :

1. should i send cards directly to BGS or I need to deal with
BGS authorized agent whom i found contacts on their
website.
2. Also, I have read about There are 2,5 or 10 days return
services, are they cost same or different.

By the way, I have just send a email to BGS agent Charles from thier website. See what is coming back.

I wish anyone has the same experience can give me some advise.

Cheers guys.
neil34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:35 AM   #2
CP3toOKC

I think you could go to their headquarters in texas (dallas?) And get their fastest grading service done there. Maybe take spend a few days there sightseeing too (and watch a mavericks game).

Found some old blowout topics about this
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=190113
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=844580
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:11 AM   #3
k1w1

There is a group of guys from all over Aus and Nz that do a monthly bgs submission from a guy in Melbourne (not through a store) there is a shipment to go out later this month. Pm me if you want details
k1w1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:58 AM   #4
drsma1

It might be just me....but theres no way I'm trusting anyone with $250k worth of stuff, except myself.

I wouldnt even be checking that luggage in.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:02 AM   #5
drobfan8

Cool

$250k worth

Definitely fly over and do it yourself.

Don't mess around.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #6
4sportcardguy

My whole collection might be worth 250-300k and this guys has some cards worth that. What are these high end cards so I can start the drooling lol
4sportcardguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #7
smalltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobfan8 View Post
$250k worth

Don't mess around.
This is my vote as well. Drop them off yourself. Fastest turn around and pick them up yourself.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #8
bustsomewax

Yep, bring in your carry-on. No way would I sleep easy until those cards were returned. Maybe make a vacation out of it. From Dallas you can get to just about any other part of the country fairly easy and affordable on either American (DFW) or SouthWest (DAL).
bustsomewax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:13 PM   #9
nvd001

I'd have to agree with the consensus here and fly over to Dallas and hand deliver them yourself.
if you've got $250k worth of cards then I'm assuming you can afford a return flight to Dallas with a week of accommodation there as well.

I deal with Charles from BGS quite often myself and he is very helpful and always fairly quick to reply (given the time difference etc)

There is a price difference with the 2, 5 and 10 day grading services but again given the value of the cards and I'm assuming you deepish pockets then I would just go with the 2 day service. Charles will likely hook you up with a bit of a discount anyway if you 're spending as much as I imagine you likely will be on this BGS submission/holiday to get there.

If you went down this path I would also probably recommend getting in contact with a Customs Broker here in Australia before you go just to discuss your options when returning back to Oz. Even though they are your property, customs can still be hold them if the value is over $1000 (ive had to go through a broker once before and had to pay another $200-$250 just to get my BGS submission released from Australian customs)

I've also brought back around 25 cards from the US after having them graded while there on a holiday as well and stashed them in my carry on for my return flights and I got through all OK but I will admit they do take up quite a lot of space and if you're talking about 50+ cards that is going to be quite a large box/bag to store them in and will most likely raise the eyebrows of the customs people so again I would definitely recommend speaking with a Customs Broker before you leave and making sure everything will be above board for your return.
nvd001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:46 PM   #10
dasiegel

If you don't mind traveling the amount is just to extreme not to do it yourself. If that is not an option I would send with a trustworthy proven shop or collector who understands the value of what you have...

BUT!!!

Food for thought. Why do you want to grade this much value of cards? For safety, resale etc. Cards that are that rare really don't need to be slabbed unless there is a good reason. For example, will somebody pay more for a 9.5 Lebron Exq RPA than a raw... of course. But if you have a Lebron Exq RPA you can kinda name your price anyways lol. So maybe limit the cards, send 5-7 at a time, see how it goes and minimize your risk and expense. Then you never have to worry about insuring something for 200k+ You can send 10-15k worth and see how the experience is with that group. GL.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:04 PM   #11
ThoseBackPages

The show is in Cleveland this year, i would plan to attend, submit and return with my cards in-hand

PSA
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #12
nvd001

OP.... can you throw up photos of a few of the cards you want to get graded?

I think I speak for the majority of members here when I say we'd love to see some
nvd001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:23 PM   #13
Hegotgame15

I'm from Melbourne Australia too..

I took 41 cards to the U.S in November to get them graded, it cost me $2800 and I got zero cards graded...

$900 in a bank safety deposit for 28 days... $1m insured value.

$1900 for 2 flights from L.A to Texas and 2 days stay and a car for 2 days and I never even went to Beckett because I couldn't get the right people on the phone as I was going to grade some cards that have known fakes and I wanted to SHOW them how to spot the fakes...

I called them about 15 times and it was clear they didn't or couldn't organise a grader that has knowledge of fake 90's inserts.

I also wanted to grade some 1/1 and some other 90's inserts that have never been graded before..they don't know sh1t about 90's inserts.

I went back to L.A without even going to Beckett and will never go back.

The food was great in Texas and I might even go back there to visit!

If you want something hi end graded, go through a person that takes the cards there personally...

There's a bunch on facebook that do it, I've sent them $50k cards before...no problems

It's the only way to get it done, they obviously do it a lot and can have cards graded very quickly and don't have issues...

All the hi end collectors I know use the same guys that does it every week...
Hegotgame15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:38 PM   #14
paul zipser

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil34 View Post
Hi guys, I have got some questions regard to sending high end cards in bulk to BGS. wish someone here can give me some advise.

I live in Melbourne Australia. Back to collecting since 2008 and high end rookie only. At moment I have about 50 cards value around 250k US dollars. i want to send to get graded. my options are:

1. go through local card shop. Fortunately, there is a card shop in the town. The owner is very nice guy and reliable. which i have spoken to him. and we are waiting for the quote from shipping company.

2. i fly to US and bring the cards with myself. Then do it myself while i am in the states. because i assume the cost send by local card shop would be close to get a return flight ticket. But,for doing this, My questions are :

1. should i send cards directly to BGS or I need to deal with
BGS authorized agent whom i found contacts on their
website.
2. Also, I have read about There are 2,5 or 10 days return
services, are they cost same or different.

By the way, I have just send a email to BGS agent Charles from thier website. See what is coming back.

I wish anyone has the same experience can give me some advise.

Cheers guys.

if you have a mailbox in the us i would send them to check out my cards (comc).
after your cards has been graded by beckett you can decide if you want to sell them within the united states or if you want to have some of your cards sent back for your own collection.
thatīs the way how i am grading all my cards through beckett.
if you are not a member of comc you could register here:

https://www.comc.com

best regards and good luck,
florian
paul zipser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:49 AM   #15
neil34

Thanks CP3. I have read other topics, They are really useful. I think i will wait till Charles to reply my email. Maybe have a chat with him about the situation then I will decide what to do next. Much much appreciate.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:50 AM   #16
neil34

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1w1 View Post
There is a group of guys from all over Aus and Nz that do a monthly bgs submission from a guy in Melbourne (not through a store) there is a shipment to go out later this month. Pm me if you want details
Hi K1w1,

Certainly, i am open to other option. Can you please send me the details.

Cheers.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:51 AM   #17
neil34

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsma1 View Post
It might be just me....but theres no way I'm trusting anyone with $250k worth of stuff, except myself.

I wouldnt even be checking that luggage in.
Hell no buddy. they will be perfectly packed in my backpack.

lol
Old 01-17-2018, 12:53 AM   #18
neil34

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobfan8 View Post
$250k worth

Don't mess around.
That is why i need some idea how i should do as i haven't done this before.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:54 AM   #19
neil34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sportcardguy View Post
My whole collection might be worth 250-300k and this guys has some cards worth that. What are these high end cards so I can start the drooling lol
i do sell ebay time of the time.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:00 AM   #20
neil34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvd001 View Post
I'd have to agree with the consensus here and fly over to Dallas and hand deliver them yourself.
if you've got $250k worth of cards then I'm assuming you can afford a return flight to Dallas with a week of accommodation there as well.

I deal with Charles from BGS quite often myself and he is very helpful and always fairly quick to reply (given the time difference etc)

There is a price difference with the 2, 5 and 10 day grading services but again given the value of the cards and I'm assuming you deepish pockets then I would just go with the 2 day service. Charles will likely hook you up with a bit of a discount anyway if you 're spending as much as I imagine you likely will be on this BGS submission/holiday to get there.

If you went down this path I would also probably recommend getting in contact with a Customs Broker here in Australia before you go just to discuss your options when returning back to Oz. Even though they are your property, customs can still be hold them if the value is over $1000 (ive had to go through a broker once before and had to pay another $200-$250 just to get my BGS submission released from Australian customs)

I've also brought back around 25 cards from the US after having them graded while there on a holiday as well and stashed them in my carry on for my return flights and I got through all OK but I will admit they do take up quite a lot of space and if you're talking about 50+ cards that is going to be quite a large box/bag to store them in and will most likely raise the eyebrows of the customs people so again I would definitely recommend speaking with a Customs Broker before you leave and making sure everything will be above board for your return.
Hi Evan,

Thanks for the great information. At this stage i would prefer to do it myself. but i will wait till having a talk with Charles for confirmation.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:20 AM   #21
neil34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiegel View Post
If you don't mind traveling the amount is just to extreme not to do it yourself. If that is not an option I would send with a trustworthy proven shop or collector who understands the value of what you have...

BUT!!!

Food for thought. Why do you want to grade this much value of cards? For safety, resale etc. Cards that are that rare really don't need to be slabbed unless there is a good reason. For example, will somebody pay more for a 9.5 Lebron Exq RPA than a raw... of course. But if you have a Lebron Exq RPA you can kinda name your price anyways lol. So maybe limit the cards, send 5-7 at a time, see how it goes and minimize your risk and expense. Then you never have to worry about insuring something for 200k+ You can send 10-15k worth and see how the experience is with that group. GL.
Basically was 2 of my best friends talk me into this Grading business,

the difference of value after grading are huge. If i am lucky enough to get gold label. So I have went through all the cards with my local shop. The one i am sending are pretty good condition.

Insteady I am going to spend thousands for postage and insurance. I would rather travel myself and i do want to attend live games

By the way, I don't have Lebron RPA wish i have one they are classic.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:22 AM   #22
neil34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
The show is in Cleveland this year, i would plan to attend, submit and return with my cards in-hand
this is a great idea. can you give me some details of card show.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:27 AM   #23
neil34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvd001 View Post
OP.... can you throw up photos of a few of the cards you want to get graded?

I think I speak for the majority of members here when I say we'd love to see some
Hi buddy,

I would prefer not at this moment. Because i have no interested to sell. Every time i posted something nice always got ppl chasing me. I am kind of sick to posting. If i want to move any cards either throw on the ebay myself or send to PWCC. But I promise once i done this i will do some pics here.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:33 AM   #24
neil34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegotgame15 View Post
I'm from Melbourne Australia too..

I took 41 cards to the U.S in November to get them graded, it cost me $2800 and I got zero cards graded...

$900 in a bank safety deposit for 28 days... $1m insured value.

$1900 for 2 flights from L.A to Texas and 2 days stay and a car for 2 days and I never even went to Beckett because I couldn't get the right people on the phone as I was going to grade some cards that have known fakes and I wanted to SHOW them how to spot the fakes...

I called them about 15 times and it was clear they didn't or couldn't organise a grader that has knowledge of fake 90's inserts.

I also wanted to grade some 1/1 and some other 90's inserts that have never been graded before..they don't know sh1t about 90's inserts.

I went back to L.A without even going to Beckett and will never go back.

The food was great in Texas and I might even go back there to visit!

If you want something hi end graded, go through a person that takes the cards there personally...

There's a bunch on facebook that do it, I've sent them $50k cards before...no problems

It's the only way to get it done, they obviously do it a lot and can have cards graded very quickly and don't have issues...

All the hi end collectors I know use the same guys that does it every week...
sorry to hear this but i am sure you had a great time apart from grading.

Mine are all panini cards, So i would assume i wont have same trouble as you . but i do notice from other guys did mention they have great trouble to contact BGS. So i would sit steel till i speak to a BGS agent.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:36 AM   #25
neil34

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul zipser View Post
if you have a mailbox in the us i would send them to check out my cards (comc).
after your cards has been graded by beckett you can decide if you want to sell them within the united states or if you want to have some of your cards sent back for your own collection.
thatīs the way how i am grading all my cards through beckett.
if you are not a member of comc you could register here:

https://www.comc.com

best regards and good luck,
florian
Thanks Bro,

Yes i do have a US address, But no matter how if i am going to send them away. i will go through someone i can trust and less handling as well.