Blowout Cards Forums
Wave 12

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 01-16-2018, 12:04 AM   #1
Firerunner4

Default Goodbye, Mr. McCutchen

I have typed out several extremely long, blabbering posts only to have hit backspace and trashed them. I didn't want to bore you, and realized my ramblings wouldn't be that interesting to read. So here's a picture of me psychotically burning a candle in front of one of our display cases. That lineup card is from the game he hit his 1st career HR at PNC Park (3rd of his career, but first two were on the road)

Pirates baseball is a way of life in our house, we watch all 162 games, we plan our vacations around a road series every year so we can see them in a new ballpark (even though PNC is farther for us than some other parks we've seen them at ), we have a room in our home pretty much dedicated to them, etc. We have traveled thousands, upon thousands of miles over the years and no matter how crappy the drive/flight was, we always knew there would be a familiar, smiling face at the end of the trip.....the ambassador of baseball and summer in the Steel City, Andrew McCutchen. It's going to be so weird not seeing that familiar face. I wish Andrew nothing but the best in San Francisco, and think he will really thrive there in a new place, a fresh start. I hope he gets the ring he so deserves.

I see a lot of people on social media saying they're done following the Pirates, done going to games, saying all kinds of crazy stuff. Not me, I'm going to ride this hog until the end. If I'm alone sitting in the bleachers slamming Iron City Lights and watching nursing home patients play wearing Pirate uniforms, then that's okay with me.

Please share and post your Cutch cards or memorabilia!!!

Last edited by Firerunner4; 01-16-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Firerunner4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:58 AM   #2
ThoseBackPages

Good on you Brother. Sticking it out.

ive been a mets fan since 1978, tough sometimes indeed lol
LOW copy is better than NO copy!
ThoseBackPages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:13 AM   #3
Homerun

Some fun names on that lineup card.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:23 AM   #4
pskell02

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

Don’t lose faith! It’s an inevitability that a small market team would have to move on from an aging, declining, superstar. I’m not pleased with the return they got for Cutch, but one has to consider his current value. If you are not a reader of it yet, I would suggest subscribing to piratesprospects.com. Tim Williams, the owner of the site, had a pretty good recap of the reality of the trade. Also does a great job of covering the minor league system.

Sad days now, but the future still looks bright IMO. The 2018 squad still has some really good parts and a couple stud prospects on the horizon. They should be a 75-80 win team next year, and can be back in contention as early as 2019. Of course Hurdle could bone everything. But that’s a separate discussion.
pskell02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:00 AM   #5
bobthewondercat

Sorry bud. I was hoping he would be a lifetime Buc as well.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:49 AM   #6
preakness

I don’t think he will remember you
preakness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #7
Jtoole

I can completely understand it being a difficult time for Pirates fans, losing your franchise player is always a major bummer, but the show must go on. I myself am worried about the O's dumping my PC player and the face of their franchise, Adam Jones, either during or at the end of the season.

Unfortunately, I can only make one card contribution to this thread, but I'm sure we can both appreciate it. Two of the best in CF over the past decade.

Generated from my Apple iPad using tools.rackonly.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97242910@N08/albums/72157651958450202
Jtoole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:00 AM   #8
texmcpherson

That’s brutal, I’ve always thought the Pirates were right up there with the Cards and Cubs in the Central. Just needed a few more pieces to put I together and weren’t able to.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:20 AM   #9
Bhenry4

Sorry, bud, sucks. Thought of you when I heard the news. I'm going to have to come to grips with Manny leaving at the end of this year, if not before. Really going to suck losing him in his prime. Two fans from two cursed franchises that had glory years prior to our time.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #10
hairysasquatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by preakness View Post
I don’t think he will remember you
Rough
Old 01-16-2018, 10:12 AM   #11
hornedfrog1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhenry4 View Post
Sorry, bud, sucks. Thought of you when I heard the news. I'm going to have to come to grips with Manny leaving at the end of this year, if not before. Really going to suck losing him in his prime. Two fans from two cursed franchises that had glory years prior to our time.
Baltimore had a pretty nice window to win. In the end cheapness won out. They were like 2 nice pieces from the WS imo.
hornedfrog1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #12
21Pittsburgh58

After being a die-hard Pirates fan since I was born (Dad was a huge Clemente and Pirates fan), I am done with them. Cutch was the final stand. I was happy to see Cole go but then saw the return and was p*ssed. Now that they have traded the guy who brought excitement back to Buccos ball, I'm out. Can't do it anymore. I was a fan through 20 years of sub-.500 baseball and that was painful, but Cutch going, was the final straw.

No more gear, reading box scores, supporting them. My Pirates heart is officially broken.

Thanks Neil H - douche!

Here's the last one for a long time: Go Buccos!
MIKE TROUT: The Best Player in MLB Today
21Pittsburgh58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #13
jrg1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskell02 View Post
Donít lose faith! Itís an inevitability that a small market team would have to move on from an aging, declining, superstar. Iím not pleased with the return they got for Cutch, but one has to consider his current value. If you are not a reader of it yet, I would suggest subscribing to piratesprospects.com. Tim Williams, the owner of the site, had a pretty good recap of the reality of the trade. Also does a great job of covering the minor league system.

Sad days now, but the future still looks bright IMO. The 2018 squad still has some really good parts and a couple stud prospects on the horizon. They should be a 75-80 win team next year, and can be back in contention as early as 2019. Of course Hurdle could bone everything. But thatís a separate discussion.
Seems he agrees with my assessment of Reynolds' upside.
jrg1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #14
planetexpress

Always hurts to see franchise players traded, especially the nice ones. Baseball's cyclical; here's hoping Cutch comes back to the Pirates to help with a playoff push in a couple years / finish his career ala Aramis Ramirez ...

I went through my archives last night and found a couple McCutchen photos to share. Not quite cards / memorabilia but figure they're still good enough to contribute to this thread:

Attempting to run out a grounder during Opening Day @ AT&T Park [4/13/2012]

Talking to Starlin Castro in Retro 1953 Uniforms [6/22/2014]

Sliding into 3rd [4/14/2017]

Celebrating a 3-run HR with Josh Harrison on Jackie Robinson Day [4/15/2017]
planetexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #15
Morgoth

All in all it is just disappointing in general. I believe he made some changes and will be a very good player for the next 2 to 3 seasons at minimum. His last 111 games last year were AS level of play. With the return we got why not just keep him and see if you can make a move at the deadline or keep and get a comp pick.
Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:00 PM   #16
lepcity

Fellow pirate fans do not attend any games this year! If you want to send a message and see anything change then take a stand. If Nutting doesn't make money then he is gonna be forced to sell. He isn't gonna keep the team if they are getting 8,000 fans per game (under 21% capacity). Don't buy any merchandise this year and don't watch the games on root sports, if possible watch them on the other teams broadcast or find them online or the game cast. This problem is always gonna be here and we are going to have another 20 losing seasons if fans remain stupid. Boycott PNC Park please people. They wasted McCutchen's career. We won 98 games in 2015 with freaking Jeff Locke and Charlie Morton (who now changed his career around). They didn't try at all to build around McCutchen because it was good enough to fill the seats and make the wild card without investing more money into the team. Every other small market at least shows that they somewhat care. Bob Nutting doesn't even attend games so why should you. Please fellow Bucco fans let's stick it to Bob Nutting's wallet. Boycott PNC Park.
lepcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #17
lepcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firerunner4 View Post
I have typed out several extremely long, blabbering posts only to have hit backspace and trashed them. I didn't want to bore you, and realized my ramblings wouldn't be that interesting to read. So here's a picture of me psychotically burning a candle in front of one of our display cases. That lineup card is from the game he hit his 1st career HR at PNC Park (3rd of his career, but first two were on the road)

Pirates baseball is a way of life in our house, we watch all 162 games, we plan our vacations around a road series every year so we can see them in a new ballpark (even though PNC is farther for us than some other parks we've seen them at ), we have a room in our home pretty much dedicated to them, etc. We have traveled thousands, upon thousands of miles over the years and no matter how crappy the drive/flight was, we always knew there would be a familiar, smiling face at the end of the trip.....the ambassador of baseball and summer in the Steel City, Andrew McCutchen. It's going to be so weird not seeing that familiar face. I wish Andrew nothing but the best in San Francisco, and think he will really thrive there in a new place, a fresh start. I hope he gets the ring he so deserves.

I see a lot of people on social media saying they're done following the Pirates, done going to games, saying all kinds of crazy stuff. Not me, I'm going to ride this hog until the end. If I'm alone sitting in the bleachers slamming Iron City Lights and watching nursing home patients play wearing Pirate uniforms, then that's okay with me.

Please share and post your Cutch cards or memorabilia!!!

Yeah go to the games put money in Nutting's pocket. Don't post this crap about how sad you are about McCutchen. I have 6 shirts, 3 jerseys and alot of other Pirates Cutch merchandise. It's not a shot at the Pirates it's a shot at the owner. Don't support Nutting you can still watch the pirates on other teams broadcasts and other stadiums but run Nutting into the ground. They need to have a huge $$$ loss this year.
lepcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #18
xxmudgexx

Sad to see him go but actually think we got a decent return for him....was at game 5 vs the cards I believe it was ..prolly the best sporting experience of my life never sat down ..screaming the whole game

Hope he can retire a pirate
Old 01-16-2018, 02:11 PM   #19
texmcpherson

Wow I knew pirates fans were upset but...
Old 01-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #20
PDCCollectibles

I think he's going to be even better in SF....
PDCCollectibles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #21
cnewby

Too many ellipses in this thread. And emotion.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #22
Firerunner4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewby View Post
Firerunner4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #23
21Pittsburgh58

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewby View Post
Wait, wait, wait. You're a Yankees/Aaron Judge fan and you think there's too much emotion in THIS thread. Riiiiiiight
MIKE TROUT: The Best Player in MLB Today
21Pittsburgh58 is offline   Reply With Quote