Blowout Cards Forums
May Flowers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > COINS & CURRENCY

Notices

COINS & CURRENCY Post your Coins, Currency, & Precious Metals Hobby Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2017, 03:15 PM   #26
thor_rider08
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,609
Default

In the early days I owned 4000 of them for fun... never thought it would have become this.. shoot myself in the foot I should have at least kept 10%-15% since it was so menial then but I honestly agree with you ninja never thought it would happen... or be allowed to happen.

One of the biggest mistakes I have made (not holding 15%)... oh well.
__________________
The righteous pay a sacrifice to get what they deserve.
thor_rider08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:49 PM   #27
ninjacookies
Member
 
ninjacookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Coast, formerly Mother Russia
Posts: 21,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor_rider08 View Post
In the early days I owned 4000 of them for fun... never thought it would have become this.. shoot myself in the foot I should have at least kept 10%-15% since it was so menial then but I honestly agree with you ninja never thought it would happen... or be allowed to happen.

One of the biggest mistakes I have made (not holding 15%)... oh well.
Ouch. I hear you though, they just seemed so extremely trivial back in the day when people could readily mine them with a dual pc farm. Thems were the days.

Still remember those youtube videos around 2009 with the guys having 15 cpu mining rigs taking up half their living rooms with 20 floor fans blaring 24 hours a day. I thought those guys were absolutely out of their minds, but it was intriguing.

Then there's the guy that paid 10,000 bitcoins for a pizza. I wonder if he's still alive til this day or off'd himself.
ninjacookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:04 AM   #28
otmack2o
Member
 
otmack2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MI
Posts: 7,079
Default

Continuing to rise... Bitcoin may hit $2,000 at some point this month!
__________________
#VARKNATION
otmack2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:19 AM   #29
ninjacookies
Member
 
ninjacookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Coast, formerly Mother Russia
Posts: 21,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by otmack2o View Post
Continuing to rise... Bitcoin may hit $2,000 at some point this month!
Lol, I had a feeling.

Hindsight is a mf'er. Hopefully some of you got in when I made the thread...
ninjacookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #30
smackvay
Member
 
smackvay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: west virginia
Posts: 10,191
Default

from a couple trusted sources
$10,000 bitcoin in the next 24 months

Mike
__________________
SUPERCOLLECTOR LOOKING FOR PAT WHITE CARDS
NEED SILVER? HAVE SILVER? PM ME EITHER WAYAS IVE GOT PLENTY OF PAYPAL TO PURCHASE YOUR SILVER
smackvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:26 AM   #31
ninjacookies
Member
 
ninjacookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Coast, formerly Mother Russia
Posts: 21,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
from a couple trusted sources
$10,000 bitcoin in the next 24 months

Mike
I used to think those projections were asinine back in the day.

But it's basically almost doubled in the few months and crashed through the previous ATH with virtually zero resistance. Makes me sick thinking about how it was sitting at around $300 a little over a year ago for what seemed like the longest, lol.

One thing it does have going for it is that there is a capped supply. 21 million, though it may seem large on the surface, is quite a small amount on a grand scale. And only about 15 mill have been mined thus far.

My biggest turnoff has been all the scamming by big exchanges. Definitely an industry where you have to do your due diligence and protect your assets at all costs.

Last edited by ninjacookies; 05-11-2017 at 06:30 AM.
ninjacookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:13 AM   #32
otmack2o
Member
 
otmack2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MI
Posts: 7,079
Default

Psssst...

LTC is out of control. Rising in LTC/BTC value and even moreso LTC/USD value.
__________________
#VARKNATION
otmack2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:06 PM   #33
ninjacookies
Member
 
ninjacookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Coast, formerly Mother Russia
Posts: 21,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by otmack2o View Post
Psssst...

LTC is out of control. Rising in LTC/BTC value and even moreso LTC/USD value.
Segwit activation.

I got in at around 7 and sold at ~11 a few weeks ago when activation started and was over around 75% complete. Got tired of waiting and cashed out thinking the market was dumping.

Now that it's fully activated, I don't know how much room there is left on the bone. But I'm not touching it at these current prices lol.
ninjacookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:49 PM   #34
otmack2o
Member
 
otmack2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MI
Posts: 7,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by otmack2o View Post
Continuing to rise... Bitcoin may hit $2,000 at some point this month!
Not really even any resistance... wow!
otmack2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #35
kyle121592
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,825
Default

All I can say is....WOW!

This has been crazy to watch. Absolutely unbelievable.
__________________
*I ship on Tuesdays and Fridays.*
*I accept payments via Venmo / Cash apps, and PayPal*
kyle121592 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #36
Boo
Member
 
Boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 17,118
Default

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bitco...104600620.html
__________________
CheckOutMyCards ID = klay22
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:17 PM   #37
IronMonkey415
Member
 
IronMonkey415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: IN THE DEPTH OF HELL
Posts: 39,152
Default

I heard you use a computer and leave it on overnight and have it find bitcoins for you.
__________________
ONLY SHIPPING IN THE U.S.A.

🙈 - 🙉 - 🙊
Bound by blood. Divided by fate. Driven by destiny
IronMonkey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #38
kyle121592
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,825
Default

There are still plenty of alt coins out there that are somewhat interesting.
__________________
*I ship on Tuesdays and Fridays.*
*I accept payments via Venmo / Cash apps, and PayPal*
kyle121592 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:54 AM   #39
ohio_mba
Member
 
ohio_mba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,464
Default

I just recently created accounts for Coinbase.com and BitStamp.net as the recent happenings in cryptocurrency have intrigued me. I am a complete newb at this but my hope is to buy either XRP or Ethereum and just sit on it. I just have to figure out how to store them so that it doesn't get "hacked" and taken.
ohio_mba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:55 AM   #40
hairyharold
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,859
Default

I bought 2 ether coins when they were at 50. wish i put more into it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_mba View Post
I just recently created accounts for Coinbase.com and BitStamp.net as the recent happenings in cryptocurrency have intrigued me. I am a complete newb at this but my hope is to buy either XRP or Ethereum and just sit on it. I just have to figure out how to store them so that it doesn't get "hacked" and taken.
hairyharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:56 AM   #41
TheOneRingKing
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 22
Default

I've been intrigued by Bitcoin but wouldn't invest at these prices since it lost over $600 in a couple days, the swings are huge with the chance of this in the future still being blocked. Gold has been stagnant for a few years now I know. But keep in mind if a hacker breaks into one of these cryptocurrency accounts you have nothing. Unless someone breaks into your home you still have a rare metal with intrinsic value, certain cases numismatic value. When the housing market bursts again or we are at war (which looks like a certainty in the next year or two) then gold will rise when markets crash like in 08. The numbers that show economic growth are inflated to inspire confidence when really you go out in the real world and think for yourself you can see how many empty storefronts there are, how many people are not at work during a typical Monday - Friday work week due to either shorter hours or unemployed, the average American is living paycheck to paycheck despite having the big house and fancy new leased car. With no savings, student loan debt and being laid off they are potentially out on the streets. The numbers say one thing my eyes see something else entirely.

I apologize for getting away from bitcoin at the end but just wanted to give a different opinion for everyone to think on a minute. By the way I'm not responding to any previous post on here this is just how I see investments and why I personally think Bitcoin is not a smart play.
TheOneRingKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:36 AM   #42
nabzy28
Member
 
nabzy28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In a warehouse of common sense
Posts: 4,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneRingKing View Post
I've been intrigued by Bitcoin but wouldn't invest at these prices since it lost over $600 in a couple days, the swings are huge with the chance of this in the future still being blocked. Gold has been stagnant for a few years now I know. But keep in mind if a hacker breaks into one of these cryptocurrency accounts you have nothing. Unless someone breaks into your home you still have a rare metal with intrinsic value, certain cases numismatic value. When the housing market bursts again or we are at war (which looks like a certainty in the next year or two) then gold will rise when markets crash like in 08. The numbers that show economic growth are inflated to inspire confidence when really you go out in the real world and think for yourself you can see how many empty storefronts there are, how many people are not at work during a typical Monday - Friday work week due to either shorter hours or unemployed, the average American is living paycheck to paycheck despite having the big house and fancy new leased car. With no savings, student loan debt and being laid off they are potentially out on the streets. The numbers say one thing my eyes see something else entirely.

I apologize for getting away from bitcoin at the end but just wanted to give a different opinion for everyone to think on a minute. By the way I'm not responding to any previous post on here this is just how I see investments and why I personally think Bitcoin is not a smart play.
There's no room for logic with this Ponzi scheme. However, if those in it see it for what it is - a way to skim wealth from the uninformed - and turn them into profit before losing it all, you can come out way ahead. The thing is being able to get out and actually get the funds you are due. That crash was the result of just a few hundred "coins" being sold. If a few holders of a couple hundred "coins" decided it's time to cash out, the exchanges would crash or transactions would be massively delayed and the "value" would plummet upwards of 75%. As far as I'm concerned, I'm avoiding them. Why do I need to give all my personal info to an "exchange" to register that can (and some have) just disappear instantly? If I had to venture a guess, I'd think the banks are just manipulating them same as everything else. Let it run up, pull in the suckers, sell and smash the price, buy at huge discount. Wash, rinse and repeat.

If these "exchanges" had any reliability, I might look into it. Since they can just delay transactions, shut down, disappear altogether, etc., I'll pass for now. Best of luck to those willing to dive into this.
__________________
Will 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 be the year Panini finds Marvin Harrison & Marcus Allen to sign their NFL's Greatest Signatures cards? 05/08/18: Replacements requested. Let's see what happens...
nabzy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:05 PM   #43
TheOneRingKing
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 22
Default

I agree with you that it's a Ponzi scheme now , when it started was legit and the method of blockchain was a good idea but there are flaws. With gold or silver you can go to a local coin show, market and pay cash for your investment/collection and no info is exchanged. One example, I purchased a key date 5 coin set of Gold coins for $3400 cash at a local dealer a couple years ago. That set in the grade MS69 has a value of $14-16k depending on the market and buyer. There was a bitcoin exchange that was attacked and shut down already, was a total cluster for all involved.

If you can get in and actually make a decent profit shorting it then might be an investment for some but I will stay on the sidelines and watch the show. For all the stories of "I could have been a Bitcoin Millionaire" who really saved all those bitcoins when they had hundreds or thousands of them for very little investment? Where is someone living the high life now with their Bitcoins? It seemed for the longest time like it is more a niche for folks who use the dark or deep web. Now that Japan is setting up kiosks I can see potential for possible growth but just like tech stocks it can be deep six just as fast.
TheOneRingKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:28 PM   #44
nabzy28
Member
 
nabzy28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In a warehouse of common sense
Posts: 4,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneRingKing View Post
I agree with you that it's a Ponzi scheme now , when it started was legit and the method of blockchain was a good idea but there are flaws. With gold or silver you can go to a local coin show, market and pay cash for your investment/collection and no info is exchanged. One example, I purchased a key date 5 coin set of Gold coins for $3400 cash at a local dealer a couple years ago. That set in the grade MS69 has a value of $14-16k depending on the market and buyer. There was a bitcoin exchange that was attacked and shut down already, was a total cluster for all involved.

If you can get in and actually make a decent profit shorting it then might be an investment for some but I will stay on the sidelines and watch the show. For all the stories of "I could have been a Bitcoin Millionaire" who really saved all those bitcoins when they had hundreds or thousands of them for very little investment? Where is someone living the high life now with their Bitcoins? It seemed for the longest time like it is more a niche for folks who use the dark or deep web. Now that Japan is setting up kiosks I can see potential for possible growth but just like tech stocks it can be deep six just as fast.
The big money is, apparently, in starting up your own "exchange". From the babbling, nearly incomprehensible ramblings of some that I follow on YouTube, people are just starting their own cryptocurrencies, doing IPO type offerings, only selected accounts can short and the whole thing just screams of enormous scam from every angle. Just stack some servers in your basement and you're good to go. It's like watching them line up for the slaughter like the tech-bubble, housing market, etc. all over again. It seems like it's gone from 'maybe there's something to this' to completely absurd in about 2 months.
__________________
Will 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 be the year Panini finds Marvin Harrison & Marcus Allen to sign their NFL's Greatest Signatures cards? 05/08/18: Replacements requested. Let's see what happens...
nabzy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #45
TheOneRingKing
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 22
Default

Indeed. I just saw a new one called OneGram where it is backed by 1 gram of gold but it so far is only in the Dubai region. Not sure if it is a viable option but I do like the idea of it being backed by gold. Supposedly each person who invests shares in the wealth as more people join.
TheOneRingKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #46
Spider-Fan
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 9,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneRingKing View Post
Indeed. I just saw a new one called OneGram where it is backed by 1 gram of gold but it so far is only in the Dubai region. Not sure if it is a viable option but I do like the idea of it being backed by gold. Supposedly each person who invests shares in the wealth as more people join.
Kinda like how the US dollar once was
__________________
Collecting Sketch Cards: Spider-Man and his allies/enemies; Batman, Joker, Harley Quinn | Collecting Comics: Carnage, Harley Quinn, TMNT, J. Scott Campbell
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Non-Sports Card Buy/Sell/Trade thread: http://tinyurl.com/Spider-Fan-NSBST
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:13 PM   #47
TheOneRingKing
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 22
Default

Yes. Would be nice if we could return to that but not holding my breath.
TheOneRingKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:59 PM   #48
ninjacookies
Member
 
ninjacookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Coast, formerly Mother Russia
Posts: 21,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneRingKing View Post
I've been intrigued by Bitcoin but wouldn't invest at these prices since it lost over $600 in a couple days, the swings are huge with the chance of this in the future still being blocked. Gold has been stagnant for a few years now I know. But keep in mind if a hacker breaks into one of these cryptocurrency accounts you have nothing. Unless someone breaks into your home you still have a rare metal with intrinsic value, certain cases numismatic value. When the housing market bursts again or we are at war (which looks like a certainty in the next year or two) then gold will rise when markets crash like in 08. The numbers that show economic growth are inflated to inspire confidence when really you go out in the real world and think for yourself you can see how many empty storefronts there are, how many people are not at work during a typical Monday - Friday work week due to either shorter hours or unemployed, the average American is living paycheck to paycheck despite having the big house and fancy new leased car. With no savings, student loan debt and being laid off they are potentially out on the streets. The numbers say one thing my eyes see something else entirely.

I apologize for getting away from bitcoin at the end but just wanted to give a different opinion for everyone to think on a minute. By the way I'm not responding to any previous post on here this is just how I see investments and why I personally think Bitcoin is not a smart play.

It also gained 800. Nearly up 300% since I created this thread just a few months ago.

It's not going down. This is just the start. Naysayers have been proven wrong every step of the way. I was aboard that train at one point. No longer. The demand is there and too many people and corporations are invested. And unlike silver, the prices aren't being suppressed by banks and the higher ups in the FR.

Also, the 'somebody could steal my coins' argument is a very archaic method of thinking. Any information on your computer can be stolen if you are negligent with your belongings...just as your wallet or physical belongings can.

That is why cold storage was invented, as well as physical travel storage options.

I will agree that exchanges are scam central, but that is why you only leverage 5-10% of your stack at any time and do not hold for extended periods of time.


In any event, I've shifted all my money from bullion into the bitcoin/altcoin market and am ready for the ride. Not all can stomach that kind of risk, but I figure with how stagnant my silver holdings were (actually lost a significant amount of money) for the past 5 years, it was a no brainer putting it into blockchain technologies.

And I've done well so far. Very well.
ninjacookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:47 AM   #49
StraWMyerS
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clifton Park, NY
Posts: 2,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacookies View Post
It also gained 800. Nearly up 300% since I created this thread just a few months ago.

It's not going down. This is just the start. Naysayers have been proven wrong every step of the way. I was aboard that train at one point. No longer. The demand is there and too many people and corporations are invested. And unlike silver, the prices aren't being suppressed by banks and the higher ups in the FR.

Also, the 'somebody could steal my coins' argument is a very archaic method of thinking. Any information on your computer can be stolen if you are negligent with your belongings...just as your wallet or physical belongings can.

That is why cold storage was invented, as well as physical travel storage options.

I will agree that exchanges are scam central, but that is why you only leverage 5-10% of your stack at any time and do not hold for extended periods of time.


In any event, I've shifted all my money from bullion into the bitcoin/altcoin market and am ready for the ride. Not all can stomach that kind of risk, but I figure with how stagnant my silver holdings were (actually lost a significant amount of money) for the past 5 years, it was a no brainer putting it into blockchain technologies.

And I've done well so far. Very well.
Good for you man, I have been riding it out with physical, although I just have a modest stash. I can't say I was right about bitcoin, thought about taking the chance but overall the fear that government would attempt to shut it down kept me away.

At the end of the day, I don't feel too bad about it, it could have turned out differently but banks wound up seeing it as another asset class to pump up, so good for the people who got in.

I still would feel great about holding silver. There is very little risk (less than FIAT) with a potential for some nice gains down the road, and the suppression of the market offers the oppurtunity to stock up at a discount relative to the true scarcity of physical.

When demand shifts and people want something with intrinsic value, many will hope they had kept at least 10- 20% in physical gold and/or silver.
StraWMyerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:30 PM   #50
jlovis
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 223
Default

Might hit $5,000 in the next 48 hours!
jlovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.