Blowout Cards Forums
17-18 nba

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 07-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #1
dasiegel

Default What are the Pistons doing?

Heard about the KCP Lakers signing and it got me thinking, with SVG in Detroit with all the power, what is the plan?

Point guard- They just don't like Reggie Jackson and there are trade rumors floating around to dump him as recently as today. They have some backups and young guys behind him but nobody who can start.

Shooting Guard- They should be comfortable there with Bradley for the time being but if they don't show possibilities of growth this year he is unrestricted after the season and will get paid. Kennard is a great prospect but it's early.

Forwards- Couldn't really break this down to SF/PF. Now they don't have Morris they only have one proven forward in Harris who is very good but not a star. They have some nice solid guys like Leuer but I think the mystery piece is Stanley Johnson. He looked awesome toward the end of his rookie year and then Van Gundy essentially demoted him last year. Do they give him the SF role and slide Harris to PF? I think that could be a dynamic front court because they both are 2 way guys.

Center- Similar to above, Drummond was a monster 2 years ago and took a small step back last year. In a year with so much emphasis on movement, speed, 3s etc, he really needs to have a good year to show a big man can belong. BTW I think a big man can if they are versatile but his FT% is a total albatross. It's like DeAndre Jordan East.

They will have cap space and they will have a lot of young guys on the bench but what do you think they should or will do next to improve?
Old 07-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
Tarheelsfan2012

They need a PG as I don't think Jackson is the answer. They also need to try and motivate Drummond as he regressed somewhat this year.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
Eaglesfan99

They offered pope 20 mil a year for 4 years I believe. That's way to much imo, and it still wasn't enough to retain him.
Eaglesfan99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:03 PM   #4
puck419

Pistons did a smart thing letting kcp walk

Gives them more flexibility. He was the best piston last year.

But you can't have 80M+ invested in Drummond Jackson kcp and Tobias. That won't get you anywhere.

Now they have Bradley (whose better than kcp) on a cheap expiring. They have time for kennard to develop and to see what they have in Galloway

If they have nothing in those 2, then I expect them to give Avery a near max, and unload Reggie for whatever during the season or next offseason.
puck419 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #5
raps2spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan99 View Post
They offered pope 20 mil a year for 4 years I believe. That's way to much imo, and it still wasn't enough to retain him.
I think the offer was for 5 years. He's still crazy for turning that down though imo. The East is weak right now and to me the Pistons biggest spot they need to fix is at PG. They need someone that can run the offense better and get teammates better involved than Reggie does. I think they'll still make the playoffs, Bradley helps them a lot but they better be prepared to have to pay him big money next summer.
raps2spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #6
Jazzer540

I was such a HUGE fan until they dismantled to have Prince be their guy...from there... It's just been terrible decision after another. This question is loaded because not too much to do other than tank for multiple years and get draft picks.

Drummond is their only hope, and him alone cannot produce on his own. Bradley was a good pick up, but nobody has the ball at the end of the game, and just doesn't seem like anyone on the team is hungry. They have to either tank or get rid of everyone and get a huge name to start building around them.

http://s1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/Jazzer540/
Jazzer540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #7
rman112

They showed some promise 2 years ago when they looked good at times against the Cavs in the playoffs. Young team on the upswing.

They have gone backwards.
rman112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:43 PM   #8
SirVolan

Time for Stanley Johnson to shine
Old 07-12-2017, 06:01 PM   #9
hairyangryfella

Jackson has always been a selfish player you can't build around. They will not have success with him starting, and he'll be a cancer if he's not.
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:28 PM   #10
Yaz1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVolan View Post
Time for Stanley Johnson to shine
I like the sound of this haha

In all seriousness though, Stanley played most his minutes last year at the 2 due to the Pistons lack of depth there (they only had KCP, Bullock and Hilliard). The Pistons were 28th in the league in 3P% last year, this was obviously identified as weakness and they have added Bradley, Kennard and Galloway, as well as bringing back Bullock. So by beefing up the shooting guard depth, this allows Stanley to play primarily small forward. I think Detroit is in a better position than if they had maxed KCP, and I think they are a decent chance of re-signing Avery Bradley if they have a good season. He fits the roster well. The jury is still out on Reggie Jackson though
Yaz1966 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:29 PM   #11
Big Ben Fan

I’ve been wanting them to move Reggie for a while now, I prefer Ish Smith as starting PG, was hoping they would try get Jennings back last year, I think he was a great fit in Detroit before his injury. Reggie can play great at times but he lost multiple games all by himself trying to be the hero.

KCP is one of my favourite guys in the league and was hoping he would stay around but the Bradley pick up is nice and helps us, Hope KCP has a big year in LA.

Really like Morris and he was the heart of the team and wanted him to stay around. I’m hoping Stanley has a break out year. Also looking forward to seeing Ellenson get some more minutes this year, him and Kennard looked promising in summer league.

Drummond could be the best true centre in the league but needs to work on his offense and obviously his FT, getting pulled in the closing minutes of games isn’t going to help, we need him out there. And now Baynes is gone who was really the perfect replacement for Drum

I was positive that this last year they would make the playoffs and even be a dark horse but man was I wrong. I hope they can make it work this year.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:07 PM   #12
Stackfan

They are in a spot where they may be looking to deal Jackson/Drummond , but they are currently at a low value, and you'd need someone solid in return. Teams aren't willing to give out a lot for these guys.

Basically they just need to get motivated and play better. Hopefully Jackson is healthy if he stays. Drummond needs to improve his ft, so he can be in the game during crunch time. Use Tobias to be the consistent 20 ppg player. I like the kcp and bradley swap. Bradley is less money, and a better fit for the Pistons. They need to shake it up a bit.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #13
realreodeal

But they have.....BOBAN

http://s466.photobucket.com/albums/rr27/realreodeal/
realreodeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:22 PM   #14
packfan15412

Time the unleash the beast Henry Ellenson... plus Luke Kennard is legit!
Old 07-12-2017, 08:40 PM   #15
LeonfromNC

No love for Henry Ellenson I see.

Kid can ball
LeonfromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:56 PM   #16
king47sooners

Detroit sports have never been worse and the Pistons are awful. Lions no super bowl in 60 years... Tigers no world series ring in 33 years...Pistons last ring was 13 years ago.... Pistons need to tank and lose every game to get good, lord knows they won't get any free agents

Last edited by king47sooners; 07-12-2017 at 08:59 PM.
king47sooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #17
king47sooners

Yes I'm from Detroit and not just trolling
king47sooners is offline   Reply With Quote