Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 08-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
cp3fan18261

Default Is my fantasy team good?

Hi, this is a 16 team league, not a PPR league, and it is a snake draft.

16: MJD
32: Lagarrette Blount
33: Felix Jones
64: Freeman
65: Harvin
96: Reggie Bush
97: Matthew Stafford
128: Jerome Simpson
129: Ravens Defense
160: Rashad Jennings
161: Burleson
192: Jared Cook
193: Colt Mccoy
224: Giants Defense
225: Mike Nugent

In my opinion, I have a good team, I am just a bit weak at WR, as I wanted better RB's.
cp3fan18261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
sunsfan8
Banned

if stafford stays healthy yeah you're team is good
sunsfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
tplomondon

Like you said your WR's are a little weak. But you have real solid RB's. Freeman will be solid again and if Stafford can stay healthy I think he will have a big year.

PC and Trade -
photobucket.com/albums/f158/tplomondon/
tplomondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
MasterPattie

Wow, in a 16-team league the teams sure do get watered down. That's why I prefer 12 team leagues...teams are just right, not too weak or too loaded.

Anywho, you were wise to build your team around RBs. But in a 16 team league, if you had the 16th pick, should you have picked 17th as well in a snake style draft?
MasterPattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
cp3fan18261

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterPattie View Post
Wow, in a 16-team league the teams sure do get watered down. That's why I prefer 12 team leagues...teams are just right, not too weak or too loaded.

Anywho, you were wise to build your team around RBs. But in a 16 team league, if you had the 16th pick, should you have picked 17th as well in a snake style draft?
I agree, but the 16th pick is my keeper, so I don't get two in a row with the keeper pick (MJD).
Old 08-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
MasterPattie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp3fan18261 View Post
I agree, but the 16th pick is my keeper, so I don't get two in a row with the keeper pick (MJD).
So, the first rounders are all keepers and then basically you have a regular snake style draft after that?
Old 08-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
cp3fan18261

Quote:
So, the first rounders are all keepers and then basically you have a regular snake style draft after that?
Yes, but around 8 of the teams didn't keep anyone. Also, there are only 15 players on a team, not 16.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
MasterPattie

Quote:
Yes, but around 8 of the teams didn't keep anyone. Also, there are only 15 players on a team, not 16.
Hmmmm that is an interesting way to do a draft. Being on the very end, I'd say you got screwed double because not only did you have the last pick in the first round but you also had the last pick in the second round as well. Most snake drafts don't work like that.

That's a tough spot to be in. Still, I think you made the best of it.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
cp3fan18261

Quote:
Hmmmm that is an interesting way to do a draft. Being on the very end, I'd say you got screwed double because not only did you have the last pick in the first round but you also had the last pick in the second round as well. Most snake drafts don't work like that.

That's a tough spot to be in. Still, I think you made the best of it.
Should I ask the Commish? Should the order have been different, because I thought it might have been, but I didn't know.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
u_want_my_cards
Banned

Wow. thank goodness I always do 10-12 man leagues.
u_want_my_cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
MasterPattie

Quote:
Should I ask the Commish? Should the order have been different, because I thought it might have been, but I didn't know.
I mean, it's whatever your league agrees to. I have been in snake style drafts for 15 years and whoever is on the end gets back to back picks always (In a 16 team league that would be picks 16 & 17).

I guess as long as you understood and agreed to your position before the draft then it is what it is. Seems strange though and I definately say you got the short end of the stick with the format being what it is.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
cp3fan18261

Quote:
I mean, it's whatever your league agrees to. I have been in snake style drafts for 15 years and whoever is on the end gets back to back picks always (In a 16 team league that would be picks 16 & 17).

I guess as long as you understood and agreed to your position before the draft then it is what it is. Seems strange though and I definately say you got the short end of the stick with the format being what it is.
I won last year, so does that make more sense to it, because it is not just like I got the 16th pick.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
MasterPattie

Quote:
I won last year, so does that make more sense to it, because it is not just like I got the 16th pick.
Well if you slot your owners by record from previous year, that is fine. But that shouldn't have anything to do with the fact that you didn't really get snake-style picks at 16 & 17. Again, it just seems odd to me, that's all. I have just never seen any draft like that.

No matter what, in a 16 team league, if I am picking 16th, you better believe I am also going to be picking 17th as well or the commish will hear about if BEFORE the draft. If you pick last in the first round you should pick first in the second round, it's as simple as that. But again, your commish and your league defined it the way it is for whatever reason. As this point, it's moot, because your draft already happened.

However, just out of curiousity, you may want to ask your commish why it was set up the way it was. It just doesn't seem fair as the owners who picked later get royally screwed compared to the owners who picked earlier.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #14
DetectiveChrome

Pretty good team - solid RB's and Freeman/Stafford a good QB combo. Good defense with the Ravens too.

As mentioned, your WR's are very weak. Harvin is decent but Burleson and Simpson are below avg so be prepared to drop these guys at any time to grab a waiver wire gem.

For shipping purposes: I'm from Toronto (Canada)
DetectiveChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #15
bigboysoffootball

Send a message via Yahoo to bigboysoffootball

In a 16 team draft waiver wire gems are going to be hard to find. Even if it was a standard league with like 14-15 rounds your looking at not a lot left to pick up.
bigboysoffootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #16
cp3fan18261

Quote:
Well if you slot your owners by record from previous year, that is fine. But that shouldn't have anything to do with the fact that you didn't really get snake-style picks at 16 & 17. Again, it just seems odd to me, that's all. I have just never seen any draft like that.

No matter what, in a 16 team league, if I am picking 16th, you better believe I am also going to be picking 17th as well or the commish will hear about if BEFORE the draft. If you pick last in the first round you should pick first in the second round, it's as simple as that. But again, your commish and your league defined it the way it is for whatever reason. As this point, it's moot, because your draft already happened.

However, just out of curiousity, you may want to ask your commish why it was set up the way it was. It just doesn't seem fair as the owners who picked later get royally screwed compared to the owners who picked earlier.
Right, I understand. I looked and the guy who played me in the championship has the 15th pick in the first and the 15th in the second round. So it doesn't help anyone with picks 10-16, but then I get the first in the 3rd, last in the 4th, first in the 5th, ect.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #17
MasterPattie

Quote:
Right, I understand. I looked and the guy who played me in the championship has the 15th pick in the first and the 15th in the second round. So it doesn't help anyone with picks 10-16, but then I get the first in the 3rd, last in the 4th, first in the 5th, ect.
Again, it just doesn't make sense to me that the draft wouldn't snake from the first round to the second round. Yeah, you get to pick first in the 3rd, but you picked last in the 1st AND 2nd. That's a screwjob for sure.

And the owners who picked at the top of the 1st round got to pick at the top of the 2nd round again too?

Not fair.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #18
cp3fan18261

Quote:
Again, it just doesn't make sense to me that the draft wouldn't snake from the first round to the second round. Yeah, you get to pick first in the 3rd, but you picked last in the 1st AND 2nd. That's a screwjob for sure.

And the owners who picked at the top of the 1st round got to pick at the top of the 2nd round again too?

Not fair.
You are right. I just checked last years draft recap and it was the same way. I guess he formatted the draft like that.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #19
MasterPattie

Quote:
You are right. I just checked last years draft recap and it was the same way. I guess he formatted the draft like that.
You might want him to explain the logic behind it.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #20
ohiomike

Sounds to me like your dradt order is setup fair if you won the league last year. The keeper round should be looked at separately. Looks like picks 32 and 33 are really picks 16 and 17 in the regular draft portion, and if you finished in first place, you should have the last pick of the first round and first pick of the second round. You have that.

Usually if you were setting up a snaking draft like this with 1 keeper round, your keeper pick would have been counted as the #1 pick, so that when it starts snaking, everything is already in the right order. And whether your keeper pick was #1 overall or #16 overall, you're still getting MJD, so it doesn't matter.

But if you have the option of not keeping a player, then it makes sense that your league does it the way you do, as it would give the worst team the first choice at taking a non-keeper in the keeper round.

Your commissioner definitely has things set up correctly for 1 optional keeper league where the draft order is based on the results of the previous season.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #21
MasterPattie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
Sounds to me like your dradt order is setup fair if you won the league last year. The keeper round should be looked at separately. Looks like picks 32 and 33 are really picks 16 and 17 in the regular draft portion, and if you finished in first place, you should have the last pick of the first round and first pick of the second round. You have that.

Usually if you were setting up a snaking draft like this with 1 keeper round, your keeper pick would have been counted as the #1 pick, so that when it starts snaking, everything is already in the right order. And whether your keeper pick was #1 overall or #16 overall, you're still getting MJD, so it doesn't matter.

But if you have the option of not keeping a player, then it makes sense that your league does it the way you do, as it would give the worst team the first choice at taking a non-keeper in the keeper round.

Your commissioner definitely has things set up correctly for 1 optional keeper league where the draft order is based on the results of the previous season.
But then the owners who are drafting at the end of the "keeper" round are getting screwed twice because they are also drafting at the end of the "next" round as well.

It would make a lot more sense and be much more fair if the owners who were drafting at the end of the "keeper" round got to draft at the begining of the "next" round. There is no reason why they should have to draft at the end of both the keeper round and the next round.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #22
ohiomike

The closest anyone comes to being screwed is by not making the keeper round mandatory. So the last place team can in theory take the 2 best available non-keepers instead of keeping one of their own. Seems like a reasonable rule though in a 16 team league as it would be hard for the last place team to go from worst to first without some kind of advantage like that. Every other team in the league can still protect their best player, so really the only way someone would pass on keeping one of their own is if they don't own any of the top 16 players. And I'm sure declaring whether you'll use a keeper or not is mandatory before the draft starts. So its not like the "#1" pick is like a #1 pick in a normal draft. You have to treat the keeper round completely separately. Its really the only fair way to go about things in a league of this format.

It wouldn't be fair for the winner of a 16 team league to either get first choice in the keeper round OR first pick overall (which is what the #17 pick represents).

I actually think this is a more than fair system in a 16 team league. The winner gets to keep whomever they want and then they get the #16 and #17 picks as they would in any other league (this league just happens to call the 16th pick #32 and the 17th pick #33 because of the 16 keeper players)

Last edited by ohiomike; 08-27-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #23
cp3fan18261

Quote:
The closest anyone comes to being screwed is by not making the keeper round mandatory. So the last place team can in theory take the 2 best available non-keepers instead of keeping one of their own. Seems like a reasonable rule though in a 16 team league as it would be hard for the last place team to go from worst to first without some kind of advantage like that. Every other team in the league can still protect their best player, so really the only way someone would pass on keeping one of their own is if they don't own any of the top 16 players.

So it wouldn't be fair for the winner of a 16 team league to either get first choice in the keeper round OR first pick overall (which is what the #17 pick represents).

I actually think this is a more than fair system in a 16 team league. The winner gets to keep whomever they want and then they get the #16 and #17 picks as they would in any other league (this league just happens to call the 16th pick #32 and the 17th pick #33 because of the 16 keeper players)
You are right, but there are only 8 keepers, the 8 other teams wanted better players as they didn't have people worth keeping, so is it still fair? Now I kind of get how its fair.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #24
MasterPattie

Quote:
The closest anyone comes to being screwed is by not making the keeper round mandatory. So the last place team can in theory take the 2 best available non-keepers instead of keeping one of their own. Seems like a reasonable rule though in a 16 team league as it would be hard for the last place team to go from worst to first without some kind of advantage like that. Every other team in the league can still protect their best player, so really the only way someone would pass on keeping one of their own is if they don't own any of the top 16 players. And I'm sure declaring whether you'll use a keeper or not is mandatory before the draft starts. So its not like the "#1" pick is like a #1 pick in a normal draft. You have to treat the keeper round completely separately. Its really the only fair way to go about things in a league of this format.

It wouldn't be fair for the winner of a 16 team league to either get first choice in the keeper round OR first pick overall (which is what the #17 pick represents).

I completely disagree with your premise.

I don't see why the owners who are picking at the top of the keeper round are slotted at the top of the regular round as well. That seems completely unfair on all levels. Whoever gets the #1 pick in the keeper round is slated to pick #1 again in the regular round? That is too much of an advantage.

The owner who is picking #1 in the keeper round should then have the #16 and #17 picks in the regular round (or really #32 and #33 as per this draft example).

The draft should snake from the very start of the draft. That is the fair thing to do.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #25
ohiomike

Quote:
You are right, but there are only 8 keepers, the 8 other teams wanted better players as they didn't have people worth keeping, so is it still fair? Now I kind of get how its fair.
Yes, thats still fair... at least as long as the protected players is determined before the keeper round starts.

For example, If the second place team in the league (the guy you beat for the championship) had Adrian Peterson and Ray Rice on his team, you know he can only keep one. We know you had MJD, and won the league.

So if you did a standard snaking draft with a keeper round, you'd have the #1 overall pick so that when the real draft starts, pick #17 goes to the last place team. But if you had the #1 in the keeper round, you would know you can just not keep anyone (losing MJD) because you'd get either Peterson or Ray Rice. Way too unfair of an advantage for the first place team to have.

On the other hand, when you have the last pick of the keeper round, you pretty much know the safe bet is to just keep MJD. But if you started snaking immediately, then that would essentially give you, the league champion, the #1 overall pick (pick #17) after the keeper round. Also unfair in a 16 team league.

Do the worst teams get a little bit of an advantage doing things the way your league does it? Sure, but why would any of the bad teams agree to play in a dynasty 16 team league with a keeper round if you pretty much know you have very little chance of ever drastically improving from one year to the next? In a 10 team league, this format would be too much advantage to the worst teams, but in a 16 team league it gives the worst a slight advantage with the assumption that if you did well last year you probably have a sweet keeper pick to help you remain strong. If you don't like being in that position, well, just don't do so well in your league this year