Blowout Cards Forums
all star

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > TTM Auto

Notices

TTM Auto Through the Mail Autographs Discussion

Old 04-24-2018, 08:31 PM   #1
OC22

Default New Baseball Photography Site

Last year, I bought a decent digital camera and began taking it to minor and (occasionally) Major League baseball games. I upgraded my lens this year, and have already gotten to five games I've photographed. I decided to start posting my pics on a web site I'm building. The site is still very much under construction, but it's to the point where I at least got a few of the better, edited shots up. You can see the site here:

https://www.ZelePhotography.com

Why am I sharing this in the autograph section? Well, I started doing this because my success rate sending TTMs to minor leaguers is much higher. But with many of the players not having cards and the difficulty of Googling minor league photos, there's not always something to send. I'm posting this here as an offer to share my photos for anyone who may want to use them for TTMs. I typically crop everything to 8x10 size, but can modify that to anything smaller, and may be able to do 16x20s (haven't tried yet).

I have hundreds of photos to get uploaded in the coming weeks, and I usually get to a few minor league games a week (living in Central North Carolina is fantastic for MILB games), so the site will grow quickly. As I update it, I'll be sure to post here to let you guys know what's been added.

Anyway, feel free to check it out and offer suggestions! There's a lot of work yet to be done, but I'm hoping this will turn into a good resource for you guys.

Last edited by OC22; 04-30-2018 at 08:49 PM.
OC22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:57 PM   #2
shortking98

This is a very cool offer. I may have to take you up on some of your Hartford Yard Goats photos when they are up there since they are my home team. Very professional looking site and photos from what I have seen so far
shortking98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:14 PM   #3
OC22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortking98 View Post
This is a very cool offer. I may have to take you up on some of your Hartford Yard Goats photos when they are up there since they are my home team. Very professional looking site and photos from what I have seen so far
Thanks! Haven't shot the Yard Goats yet, but they're high on the list.

Just updated the Gwinnett Braves page, including several pics of Ronald Acuna.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:40 PM   #4
OC22

Added Hickory Crawdads photos.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:44 AM   #5
r0yals2012

Question. As an avid photographer myself, was this website free to make off of Wix or how much do you pay for it? Would like to do something like that for my photos too instead of just showing them on Facebook to Friends and Family.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #6
OC22

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0yals2012 View Post
Question. As an avid photographer myself, was this website free to make off of Wix or how much do you pay for it? Would like to do something like that for my photos too instead of just showing them on Facebook to Friends and Family.
All depends on what you want to do. Wix has a free option I started with, but has limited storage. I didn't come close to the limit, but I upgraded and bought my own domain name. Three years with 10 GB of storage and the domain registration ran something like $350.

There are other sites out there that you can check out, too. I just found the Wix interface to be pretty convenient for me, so I went with it.

The expense is worth it to me a) because I have a little fun money to work with right now and b) I usually get to at least 2-3 games per week. With that many photos to share, I can keep feeding the site pretty consistently. I also post some of the highlights on Twitter (@ZelePhotography), which leads to some pretty cool interactions with some of the players and their families.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:56 PM   #7
db707

If you don’t mind me asking what kind of gear do you have? I have tried several times to take my camera to games and I don’t get as good of images as you.
db707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:56 PM   #8
OC22

Quote:
Originally Posted by db707 View Post
If you donít mind me asking what kind of gear do you have? I have tried several times to take my camera to games and I donít get as good of images as you.
Canon Rebel T6 camera with a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens (link below).

Camera by James Z., on Flickr

The lens is worth the investment. The zoom capability obviously helps a ton with shooting across the diamond, getting shots of outfielder, etc. The lens really pays for itself with the fixed aperture. I don't have to crank the iso setting WAY up on my camera to get decent lighting in shots, which eliminates a lot of the noise you usually see in night game shots.

It also helps that at most Minor League parks, you can pretty much sit in the coach's box and on the bullpen pitching mound (Check the site in an hour or so and check out the picture I post of Rob Scahill of the Charlotte Knights).

The wide angle lens in the background of the photo works really well for full-field and upper deck shots. That's what I used to take the Chase Field pic that's the background of my homepage.

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-200m...8l+is+ii&psc=1
Old 05-02-2018, 10:06 PM   #9
db707

Awesome. That’s great info. I’m assuming then you shoot in manual mode. What do you set your settings at?
Old 05-02-2018, 10:16 PM   #10
OC22

Quote:
Awesome. Thatís great info. Iím assuming then you shoot in manual mode. What do you set your settings at?
I do shoot in manual. Settings change dramatically throughout the game if it's a night game. Day games are pretty consistent. Some general guidelines I use:

Night games:
1) First few innings, especially shooting pitchers and batters: ISO 800, shutter speed 1/4000, F2.8 (sometimes lower if I want a wider depth). This works pretty well for day games, too. Depending on where you're sitting, sometimes you can dial it back as far as ISO 200. Just check your color meter to see if you're in range.

2) Innings 3-5 (varies based on time of year): ISO 800, sometimes up to 1600, shutter speed 1/1000-1/2000, F2.8

3) End of game/dark: ISO 1600, shutter speed 1/400 (if I can get away with it), sometimes 1/250, F2.8.

If you don't have a fixed aperture lens, you'll have to decrease your shutter speed and increase your ISO to compensate when you zoom in. The color meter has quickly become my best friend, and it's incredibly useful to make sure you're getting decent lighting in your shots.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:18 PM   #11
db707

Thanks for all the information. This is really great. I appreciated it! Keep up the great work, I look forward to seeing more pictures on your site!!
Old 05-02-2018, 10:23 PM   #12
OC22

Quote:
Thanks for all the information. This is really great. I appreciated it! Keep up the great work, I look forward to seeing more pictures on your site!!
Thank you! I'm always willing to answer more questions, too! I'm still learning myself, so it's always fun to discuss.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:15 PM   #13
OC22

Just posted the highlights from last night's Charlotte Knights vs. Gwinnett Stripers game. Added several new pics of Michael Kopech (Knights) and Dustin Peterson (Stripers).
Old 05-03-2018, 12:35 AM   #14
r0yals2012

Thanks for the info. Yeah I should try twitter. I have a personal twitter account but should get another one for photos. Nice gear you have. I have an older T3i with a normal 75-300 mm and the lens that comes with the camera. I would like to upgrade with a new camera and a new lens but right now it is fine. I shoot major league but only like 15 games a year. I shoot other stuff besides sports though.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:54 AM   #15
OC22

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0yals2012 View Post
Thanks for the info. Yeah I should try twitter. I have a personal twitter account but should get another one for photos. Nice gear you have. I have an older T3i with a normal 75-300 mm and the lens that comes with the camera. I would like to upgrade with a new camera and a new lens but right now it is fine. I shoot major league but only like 15 games a year. I shoot other stuff besides sports though.
Twitter is the worst because people are awful, but it's great for sharing photography. As far as gear, it all depends on what you want to do. I'm content with the Rebel T6, although I'd like to upgrade soon-ish. I bought the lens purely to shoot sports. Lighting is always gonna be difficult at best, so I picked the lens I figured would help me overcome that as easily as possible. There are more versatile lenses available that are a better bet if you shoot in a lot of different light settings.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:50 PM   #16
OC22

Happy to report that after a long weekend of editing, the site is completely up to date for the 2018 season so far. Highlights include:

Arizona Diamondbacks - Matt Koch, Daniel Descalso, Alex Avila
San Diego Padres - Franchy Cordero, Jose Pirela
Charlotte Knights - Michael Kopech
Durham Bulls - Anthony Banda, Willy Adames
El Paso Chihuahuas - Franmil Reyes, Luis Urias, Travis Jankowski
Gwinnett Stripers - Ronald Acuna, Dustin Peterson, Jose Bautista, Matt Wisler
Las Vegas 51s - Dominic Smith, Gavin Cecchini, FINN THE BAT DOG
Louisville Bats - Cliff Pennington, Cody Reed
Norfolk Tides - Jonathan Schoop, DJ Stewart, Sharlon Schoop
Lynchburg Hillcats - Conner Capel, Justin Garza
Winston-Salem Dash - Gavin Sheets, Luis Basabe, Omar Vizquel
Asheville Tourists - Will Gaddis, Ryan Vilade
Greensboro Grasshoppers - Lazaro Alonso

Bummed Senzel didn't play last night (That's the reason I drove up to Norfolk), but it was cool to see Jonathan Schoop play. He clearly had no interest in being there, but I at least got a couple decent pictures.

Light week this week, with just the Mariners at Blue Jays (work trip to Toronto), and Rome Braves at Hickory Crawdads when I get back on Sunday. Enjoy!
Old 05-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #17
morningrushnc

Cool site. Not sure if you've seen this thread, but the more people contributing, the better.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1164269
morningrushnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:39 PM   #18
DFWGrapher

This is awesome. I'll be seeing a few of these teams this summer and love making my own custom photos and cards, so I may have to use these on a few if I may.

Haven't done any of my own photography in years-- last time was in the early 2000s with a Nikon that my dad bought in 1981 (yes, we're talking an actual FILM camera!) and shooting anything in the evening was tough.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #19
OC22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGrapher View Post
This is awesome. I'll be seeing a few of these teams this summer and love making my own custom photos and cards, so I may have to use these on a few if I may.

Haven't done any of my own photography in years-- last time was in the early 2000s with a Nikon that my dad bought in 1981 (yes, we're talking an actual FILM camera!) and shooting anything in the evening was tough.
Just let me know which photos you want - Happy to send you the un-watermarked files.

I can only imagine how difficult it would be to do night games with film. I have to constantly look at the display to keep my settings dialed in as the game goes on.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #20
tribetown

Nice setup. I really love the way the site operates, easy to navigate. I actually just sent you a message on the site, and I'll be back throughout the season. Thanks a ton. I know I really appreciate it, and some other members will as well!
tribetown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:19 PM   #21
OC22

Just finished another big update from the last few weeks. Teams include:

Houston Astros - Springer, Gurriel, Bregman, McCullers, Gozalez
Indians - Guyer, Bauer, Clevinger, C. Allen, G. Allen, Miller, Brantley, Gomes
Corpus Christi Hooks - Myles Straw, Ryan Hartman, Josh Rojas
San Antonio Missions - Fernando Tatis Jr., Josh Naylor
Carolina MudCats - Keston Hiura
Down East Wood Ducks - Eric Jenkins, Anderson Tejeda, Leody Taveras
Winston-Salem Dash - Dylan Cease, Blake Rutherford, Alex Call, Micker Adolfo

The schedule is going to lighten up a bit for the next month or so, but I'm still on track for at least a game a week, so photos will continue coming through. Heading to Kannapolis for the Intimidators vs. the Delmarva Shore Birds tomorrow night - Should be a good game as long as the weather holds out.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:37 PM   #22
OC22

New photos from the Delmarva Shorebirds, Kannapolis Intimidators, Greensboro Grasshoppers and Lakewood BlueClaws are up! Enjoy!
Old 06-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #23
cubsfanstan

Great photos! I'm surprised they let you in the MLB parks with the long lens. I thought the rule was the lens had to be less than the camera body length? Or is that only at certain stadiums? I am going to Busch Stadium this weekend and noticed this in the prohibited list of items:
Quote:
Commercial camera equipment (lenses longer than length of the camera body), including video cameras, tripods, and monopods.
I don't have a telephoto for my T5i though so probably won't even take it with me since I'll be so far away from the action.
Most Wanted: #1: 1989 Tulsa Drillers Team Issue #24 Sammy Sosa | #2: 1991 Kodak #25 Sammy Sosa
Chicago Cubs PC: Baez, Bryant, Dawson, Grace, Rizzo, Sandberg, Santo, Sosa and others.
Sportlots: https://sportlots.com/dealers/?dealer=cubsstan
cubsfanstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #24
OC22

It's different for every stadium. Atlanta, Yankee Stadium and Dodger Stadium won't let me in, but the most common rule is lenses less than 8" are OK. Mine is exactly 8" long without the lens hood. And honestly, I've never been questioned on it. I don't push my luck in the stadiums where it's not even worth chancing it, and nobody has ever given me a problem.