prizim banner

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > Topps Now

Notices

Topps Now Post your Topps Now Hobby Talk

Old 03-23-2018, 06:25 AM   #1
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

Default The “How Did I Do On This Deal?” Thread

Creating a place for folks to solicit community input evaluating purchases, sales, or trades they’ve made.

I will start things off by asking whether or not you think I got a decent deal (in the immediate and/or long term) on the following purchase I made yesterday:

2016 Topps Now World Series Champs Set Kris Bryant Auto. Blue background /99. BGS 9.5/10 (2x10 subs + 2x9.5 subs; #1 overall BGS graded example of this card to date). Purchased for $540 shipped.

Tried to negotiate down closer to $450-500, but the seller held firm, to his credit, and I figured I would kick myself down the road if I lost out on this one over less than $100, esp since I REALLY love the Cubs jewel cards with blue backgrounds.

It feels like the general market for the Cubs World Series stuff has softened a bit in the last six months or so, but given the broader 2016 Cubs set I’m building for the long haul, this feels like a solid deal to me (though not a felonious theft of a deal, to be sure).

What do you think?

Last edited by Darth Bryzzo; 03-23-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Darth Bryzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #2
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

C’mon, Joe. At least you have to have an opinion about how I did on this.

I welcome anyone’s thoughts, for sure.

I’m not driven by profit motive, but I do try to be value sensible when I buy stuff. Most times, I have a fairly solid sense of what a card I want is arguably worth at a given time. But other times, I’m really not very confident in my personal valuation. This is definitely one of those latter times.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
mfisher27

Have you considered buying a Mickey Mantle card?
Old 03-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfisher27 View Post
Have you considered buying a Mickey Mantle card?
Nicely done. I respect snark such as that.

And no.

Better be careful, though, as all I’m here to do is mindlessly argue. Not that I’d ever waste any time starting geeky hobby-related threads or anything, or engage in any geeky hobby discussion or anything. I suck.

But obviously, the answer to my question here is that I was super dumb for buying any Kris Bryant card, I guess because they will never be as valuable as Mantle cards, so I’m completely wasting my money despite what I like and want to do with my money.

Thanks for helping me noodle that out on my own.

Last edited by Darth Bryzzo; 03-23-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:29 PM   #5
monkeymcgee

I've been on the flipping side of things before, but those purchases are never ones I'd have to ask about or I wouldn't have done the deal.

If you're buying with your heart for your PC, as long as you can afford it does it matter? Sometimes you have to pay more than market to get a card you want. Just remember why you bought it and it won't matter.

Active projects: 83-96 Braves | Nationals | Iconic athletes of my generation
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:31 PM   #6
joejoemay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bryzzo View Post
Creating a place for folks to solicit community input evaluating purchases, sales, or trades they’ve made.

I will start things off by asking whether or not you think I got a decent deal (in the immediate and/or long term) on the following purchase I made yesterday:

2016 Topps Now World Series Champs Set Kris Bryant Auto. Blue background /99. BGS 9.5/10 (2x10 subs + 2x9.5 subs; #1 overall BGS graded example of this card to date). Purchased for $540 shipped.

Tried to negotiate down closer to $450-500, but the seller held firm, to his credit, and I figured I would kick myself down the road if I lost out on this one over less than $100, esp since I REALLY love the Cubs jewel cards with blue backgrounds.

It feels like the general market for the Cubs World Series stuff has softened a bit in the last six months or so, but given the broader 2016 Cubs set I’m building for the long haul, this feels like a solid deal to me (though not a felonious theft of a deal, to be sure).

What do you think?
I think you over paid a bit but...there are only /99 of the blues (if that). Investment wise yes a Mick might have been better but none of those have him in a Cubs uniform in 2016
Very few if any who own the Blues will be giving them up...ever, so as long as your not trying to flip it...I'd say it was a great find for you.
joejoemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
joejoemay

I like my Red version...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2018, 02:39 PM   #8
joejoemay

I’ve got two blue one is the Baez /99

Old 03-23-2018, 02:39 PM   #9
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoemay View Post
I think you over paid a bit but...there are only /99 of the blues (if that). Investment wise yes a Mick might have been better but none of those have him in a Cubs uniform in 2016
Very few if any who own the Blues will be giving them up...ever, so as long as your not trying to flip it...I'd say it was a great find for you.
Fair enough. I can definitely live with that. Many thanks.

Btw, beautiful cards. I ersonally like the look of the blue Bryant better, but that red is very compelling.

Super love the blue Javy. I should have a BGS 10/10 one of those waiting for me when I get home.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:40 PM   #10
joejoemay

And the HTF Blue Dexter Fowler /49

Old 03-23-2018, 02:42 PM   #11
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

Blue Dexy is super sexy, too. Very nice.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:44 PM   #12
justbasecards

Was this an eBay purchase? Were you able to take advantage of any of the recent offers? I would agree about the $450-$500, but Bryants are hard to come by from that set.

I bought three WS sets and got two Almoras and a Baez. Hopefully, Beckett will send them back in April.
justbasecards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #13
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbasecards View Post
Was this an eBay purchase? Were you able to take advantage of any of the recent offers? I would agree about the $450-$500, but Bryants are hard to come by from that set.

I bought three WS sets and got two Almoras and a Baez. Hopefully, Beckett will send them back in April.
It was an eBay purchase, and no promo.

It basically came down to me having a sense I was probably overpaying a bit, but thinking longer term than a $50-100 overpay was no big deal in the long collecting run.

It’s just that every once in a while I wonder if my gut sense was way off, and I like to recalibrate with the benefit of other knowledgeable buyers’ opinions. This is one of those times. Appreciate the input. It is helpful.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #14
joejoemay

I think the Almora card is under appreciated...you have to have that autograph version for a complete set as I recall there was no base card. How is he doing this year? I've not been following him. I noticed his SP has moved up recently...
Old 03-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #15
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

Quote:
I think the Almora card is under appreciated...you have to have that autograph version for a complete set as I recall there was no base card. How is he doing this year? I've not been following him. I noticed his SP has moved up recently...
Yeah, that’s a toughie. I recently got a raw /25 of that one, but I think had to pay like $275 for it. Tried to do better but that’s as far as I could get the seller to go.

He’s had a solid spring but Happ has been an absolute monster at critical need of leadoff, so don’t know how that will affect Almora’s overall playing time issue.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #16
wilsonj12

Quote:
You are correct, there is no base card. The Rizzo auto from the set is the hardest to come by though — I still believe they only released /49, /10, and /1 versions ... I’ve never seen a /99 or an unnumbered for sale or displayed.

Expecting big things from Almora this year, though Cubs still have a first world problem of four outfielders (Schwarber, Happ, Almora, Heyward) and three spots. Happ and Schwarber have had really good springs with Happ emerging as likely leadoff hitter ... Almora’s playing time may depend on how the Cubs handle Heyward, whose hitting is still not up to expectations ...
wilsonj12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #17
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonj12 View Post
You are correct, there is no base card. The Rizzo auto from the set is the hardest to come by though — I still believe they only released /49, /10, and /1 versions ... I’ve never seen a /99 or an unnumbered for sale or displayed.

Expecting big things from Almora this year, though Cubs still have a first world problem of four outfielders (Schwarber, Happ, Almora, Heyward) and three spots. Happ and Schwarber have had really good springs with Happ emerging as likely leadoff hitter ... Almora’s playing time may depend on how the Cubs handle Heyward, whose hitting is still not up to expectations ...
Agreed that Cubs starting to accept reality with Heyward would give Almora more playing time even if Happ is tearing it up at the plate. Happ could play more RF instead of displacing Almora in CF when Schwarber is also playing.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:40 AM   #18
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

Well, a raw version of the /99 Blue 2016 WS Champs Set Bryant Auto just went for $256 on traditional eBay auction. So that makes me feel pretty good overall about having paid $540 for the highest BGS graded example of that card, which is just a .5 sub away from being a 10.

I tried to get the graded card for closer to $450, and wish I’d been able to do so, but the seller held firm and I ultimately caved. But just a shade over 2x raw price for a BGS 9.5 with 2x10 subs + 2x9.5 subs doesn’t strike me as a bad place to be on it (especially given that I’m not looking to sell it anytime soon, if ever).
Old 04-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #19
tribefan26

I feel pretty good about this.

http://https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Lot-2018-Topps-Living-Set-7-SHOHEI-OHTANI-RC-w-ST-4-7-5-23-42-5J-23J-42J/132586158718?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
tribefan26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #20
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

Yeah, that seems like a crazy good deal (even though today he’s back to being a sure bust after his rocky performance last night).

Congrats on the score.