Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > GRADING

Notices

GRADING For all grading talk - PSA, BGS, SGC, etc

Old 04-14-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
Neal

Default PSA holders ....

Are they still using the hologram flip and not the lighthouse from time to time? I just saw a 2018 card that has the pre-lighthouse flip which struck me as odd.

Has anyone else seen 2018 cards like the Heritage Rhys Hoskins PSA 10 on eBay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Topps-...c60d%7Ciid%3A1
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
rngrdanny22

They must be. I have some lighthouse flips with lower serial numbers. That's disappointing.
rngrdanny22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
KUHawk

Also interesting that neither the holder nor auction lists it as a team color swap
KUHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:43 AM   #4
Neal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUHawk View Post
Also interesting that neither the holder nor auction lists it as a team color swap
That is interesting ..... PSA usually knows the modern variations very well.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:57 AM   #5
mjohnatgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
That is interesting ..... PSA usually knows the modern variations very well.
Your mileage may vary. They get many of them wrong, even when the submitted puts the correct variation on the order form. Why even use online submission forms that help them do the job if they're going to ignore what you've labeled it anyways?
Old 04-14-2018, 09:19 AM   #6
NeonStatus

Where can I find an image of these different PSA holders?
Old 04-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #7
Neal

it checks out .... but sucks they used the hologram

https://www.psacard.com/cert/31728257/
Old 04-14-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
ThoseBackPages

ive wondered this as well and have to think that bulk submitters get some sort of price break to accept the holo stock
Politics, Religion, Third Party Grading, and 2021 Bowman's Best Rookie Cards
ThoseBackPages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #9
rngrdanny22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
ive wondered this as well and have to think that bulk submitters get some sort of price break to accept the holo stock

I have a 236 card order there now. I really hope they use the new labels.
rngrdanny22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #10
StevenTormollan
Banned

Quote:
Are they still using the hologram flip and not the lighthouse from time to time? I just saw a 2018 card that has the pre-lighthouse flip which struck me as odd.

Yes. They still have some of the older rectangular hologram flips laying around and i'm guessing for some cheaper bulk orders they use those.

I had gotten the rectangular holo flips in all of my bulk orders until the very last one i got back a month ago, which was around 220 cards and all of them had the new lighthouse labels.

If you send in a 10 day, or 2 day order, etc they will definitely be slabbed with lighthouse labels, but on the cheapest services they may push off some of the older labels on you. Which i'm totally ok with, they have to get rid of them.
StevenTormollan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #11
charnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenTormollan View Post
Yes. They still have some of the older rectangular hologram flips laying around and i'm guessing for some cheaper bulk orders they use those.

I had gotten the rectangular holo flips in all of my bulk orders until the very last one i got back a month ago, which was around 220 cards and all of them had the new lighthouse labels.

If you send in a 10 day, or 2 day order, etc they will definitely be slabbed with lighthouse labels, but on the cheapest services they may push off some of the older labels on you. Which i'm totally ok with, they have to get rid of them.
if they have to get rid of them, they can recycle the paper, cuz thats all it is. i’d be pissed if I paid someone for a service, and have them say sorry, we don’t deem your cards worthy enough for our new security enhancements that we’ve been popping off about. Here, take our old garbage so we don’t have to just throw them away.
charnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:34 AM   #12
StevenTormollan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by charnick View Post
if they have to get rid of them, they can recycle the paper, cuz thats all it is. i’d be pissed if I paid someone for a service, and have them say sorry, we don’t deem your cards worthy enough for our new security enhancements that we’ve been popping off about. Here, take our old garbage so we don’t have to just throw them away.

It's not just "paper". Those hologram flips have, well, holograms on the front and back, metallic elements, security features... in other words, things that cost more money than just "paper".

They're 100% legit flips, psa has to use up the old stock, honestly they probably are saving thousands of dollars doing so, and they're using them for the cheapest cards/ cheapest level submissions. On lower end cards it's not like the psa 10s with lighthouse labels sell for any more than the rectangular holo labels, so like I said, I'm cool with it. I own a considerable amount of CLCT stock and I understand cost cutting measures/ money saving measures. It's part of business and adds to their bottom line. Believe me four sharp corners and whoever else is getting these is fine with it because they pay extremely low grading fees. It's not like it's going to turn them off and they're never going to grade with psa again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
StevenTormollan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #13
charnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenTormollan View Post
It's not just "paper". Those hologram flips have, well, holograms on the front and back, metallic elements, security features... in other words, things that cost more money than just "paper".

They're 100% legit flips, psa has to use up the old stock, honestly they probably are saving thousands of dollars doing so, and they're using them for the cheapest cards/ cheapest level submissions. On lower end cards it's not like the psa 10s with lighthouse labels sell for any more than the rectangular holo labels, so like I said, I'm cool with it. I own a considerable amount of CLCT stock and I understand cost cutting measures/ money saving measures. It's part of business and adds to their bottom line. Believe me four sharp corners and whoever else is getting these is fine with it because they pay extremely low grading fees. It's not like it's going to turn them off and they're never going to grade with psa again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, you can be cool with it, and they can be cool with it, but if my bulk sub comes back with the old tech without informing me first, you can be sure they’ll be getting an earful from me, cuz I’m not. If they wanna use their old stock, and old technology and still charge me the same price as someone getting the latest, greatest - again, without letting me know - then, NOT cool.

And oh please, “it’s not just paper.” How much can a flip actually cost them? If it’s any more than 2-3 cents per, I’d be surprised. If they had so many left in stock, they should have used them up when they first introduced the lighthouse label, not like a year later or whatever it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
How do you know they cleared 30000000? Recent return subs are only at 290XXXXX.
They’ve also been pimping out that fact on FB, twitter and instagram. They’ve been having a free Platinum collector’s club membership giveaway to celebrate it.
charnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #14
dictoresno

Quote:
Originally Posted by charnick View Post
Well, you can be cool with it, and they can be cool with it, but if my bulk sub comes back with the old tech without informing me first, you can be sure they’ll be getting an earful from me, cuz I’m not. If they wanna use their old stock, and old technology and still charge me the same price as someone getting the latest, greatest - again, without letting me know - then, NOT cool.

And oh please, “it’s not just paper.” How much can a flip actually cost them? If it’s any more than 2-3 cents per, I’d be surprised. If they had so many left in stock, they should have used them up when they first introduced the lighthouse label, not like a year later or whatever it is.

They’ve also been pimping out that fact on FB, twitter and instagram. They’ve been having a free Platinum collector’s club membership giveaway to celebrate it.
no, they just completed their 30,000,000th collectible certified. that has absolutely ZERO to do with what cert number they are using now. cert numbers, up until recently, were not in any specific numerical order. some years started with 0, 3, 5 and most recently they started at 20000000 and began working up in numerical order. they switched over to the lighthouse label somewhere in the 274XXXXX range and most recent returned subs finally just hit 290XXXXX. theres no way they are in the cert range of 3XXXXXXX yet.

that cert which starts 31XXXXXX must be a recycled cert or something.
dictoresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #15
dictoresno

Ive been asking this for awhile, with no real answer. Even PSA had no idea when I called and asked them. The rep checked with a supervisor and said the only explanation was that it was being used for bulk orders, which is where you usually find these on ebay. no one has them return to them in holo holders anymore from PSA, you only find them for sale from dealers and on ebay.

personally I think its stupid. the holo flips are the same exact ones as the lightening ones. its just the label that's different. unless they are using up old labels. but even that's weird, because the typing and font are two different ones. they look like they are printed from two way too different printers. anyone else wanna call PSA and ask again?
Old 04-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #16
guru

I just got back a 173 card bulk order. All got slabbed with the new tech.
guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #17
dictoresno

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
I just got back a 173 card bulk order. All got slabbed with the new tech.
theres only like 3-4 bulk sellers on ebay I see them coming from. 4sharpcorners and dmarcus or something like that are two of them.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:17 PM   #18
dictoresno

Quote:

my real question is how that cert is 317XXXXX??????

recent subs are around the 290XXXXX cert and from what ive seen, haven't even hit the 30000000 number yet. and its a brand new card, so its not like the cert was old and reholdered.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #19
mjohnatgt

Yes, they have cleared 30,000,000. But they already used a chunk of numbers starting with 30 million about 15 years ago. So I'm glad to see they skipped that group of cert numbers or there would be a whole bunch of errors when people tried to add their cards to their Inventory.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:59 AM   #20
dictoresno

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnatgt View Post
Yes, they have cleared 30,000,000. But they already used a chunk of numbers starting with 30 million about 15 years ago. So I'm glad to see they skipped that group of cert numbers or there would be a whole bunch of errors when people tried to add their cards to their Inventory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2018, 05:56 AM   #21
mjohnatgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
Saw a 2-day order return to someone on Facebook.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:19 PM   #22
kyle1707

I was going to post this same thing... There is a 2018 heritage harper for sale with the old silver label.. it had to be graded in last few weeks

same seller
kyle1707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:00 PM   #23
dictoresno

just saw this.....they mustve skipped cert numbers or are reusing some

Old 04-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #24
mjohnatgt

There's a guy on the PSA KIR facebook group that just posted his return and the cards started with 30.9 million. So there you go, they have eclipsed 30,000,000 and hopefully they didn't duplicate the ones they've already used.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #25
dictoresno

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnatgt View Post
There's a guy on the PSA KIR facebook group that just posted his return and the cards started with 30.9 million. So there you go, they have eclipsed 30,000,000 and hopefully they didn't duplicate the ones they've already used.
wow they went from 290 - 304 in no time.