Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

Notices

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-22-2018, 08:42 AM   #1
jlzinck

Default Who were the big pro wrestling stars when you 1st started watching?

I'm older than dirt so I will start.

WWWF used to run on local channel 56 when I was a kid. Right before Creature Double Feature

Bruno Sammartino was the king.
The Television Show was always a star vs a jobber. You knew who was going to win before the match even started.
Once in a while they would throw Johnny Rodz a bone and he would win a TV match.
Others were Andre the Giant, Ivan Koloff, Superstar Billy Graham, Bob Backlund. Larry Zbyszko (Bruno's protégé who turned on him, bastard), Pedro Morales, Stan Hansen & Jimmy Snuka

Knew nothing about the NWA or AWA until I started buying the Wrestling magazines in 78 or 79. That's when I learned about Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Verne Gagne, Harley Race, The Crusher, Dick the Bruiser, The Funk Brothers

The biggest move you would see was a flying cross body block.

Such a change from today!
Old 02-22-2018, 08:48 AM   #2
JustinVerlander07

HBK, Brett Hart, Undertaker, NWO, Macho Man, Sting

This was 97, I was about 5, I was always a WWE guy.

"Cavs in 7. Write it down"
JustinVerlander07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #3
Stanley2

Early 90's so Hogan, Warrior, Savage. Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels still in tag teams. Undertaker just getting started. Flair and Sting over in WCW. The Saturday morning shows were just as you described. Stars vs Jobbers. I would read about the pay per views in the magazines then watch them 3 to 6 months later when they came out on video. Now we have an entire network full of content!
Old 02-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #4
allabtsprt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
I'm older than dirt so I will start.

WWWF used to run on local channel 56 when I was a kid. Right before Creature Double Feature

Bruno Sammartino was the king.
The Television Show was always a star vs a jobber. You knew who was going to win before the match even started.
Once in a while they would throw Johnny Rodz a bone and he would win a TV match.
Others were Andre the Giant, Ivan Koloff, Superstar Billy Graham, Bob Backlund. Larry Zbyszko (Bruno's protégé who turned on him, bastard), Pedro Morales, Stan Hansen & Jimmy Snuka

Knew nothing about the NWA or AWA until I started buying the Wrestling magazines in 78 or 79. That's when I learned about Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Verne Gagne, Harley Race, The Crusher, Dick the Bruiser, The Funk Brothers

The biggest move you would see was a flying cross body block.

Such a change from today!
I must be a little older than you. For me, the best was Dick the Bruiser. I also remember Sailor Art Thomas and Yukon "Moose" Cholak as wildly popular back then. The Bruiser was just flat out mean. Yukon's skit was that he would come out, bear hug a 55 gallon drum and crush it. Those were the good old days!
allabtsprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:17 AM   #5
jusdukky

Reggie Parks, Stan Polaski & Vern Gagne and his Gera Speed.

Parks & Polaski wrestled in my home town one time when I was in Junior High. Not against each other. We were walking down the alley behind the building they wrestled at and here they come. They stood and talked with us for probably 10 minutes which was pretty cool for us. Now that's old!
jusdukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:56 AM   #6
race774

When I was a kid Hulk Hogan was the biggest name. Tito Santana, George "the animal" Steele, Hacksaw Jim Duggan. The Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase.

That is the era I watched growing up.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #7
rcgdodge

Singles: Hogan, Undertaker, Jake Roberts, Mr Perfect, Texas Tornado, Million Dollar Man, Big Boss Man, Warlord, Randy Savage, Ultimate Warrior

Tag Teams: Legion of Doom, Rockers, Bushwhackers, Demolition, Natural Disasters, Hart Foundation, Powers of Pain, Power & Glory

Just off the top of my head....

COMC - rcgdodge - Feel free to make an offer
rcgdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #8
nyjetsmets1

Edge, Chris Jericho, The Hardys, Undertaker, Randy Orton, CM Punk, Rey Mysterio
nyjetsmets1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
no10pin

When I was a kid, there was local wrestling in KC broadcast every Sat morning that was a part of NWA. Harley Race, Bruiser Brody, Rufus R Jones, Bulldog Bob Brown, etc...

As a teenager, being a fan of Rocky III, I got into WWF due to Hulk Hogan. Tito Santana was the IC champ, and I believe Tony Atlas and Rocky's dad were the tag champs.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:02 PM   #10
jlzinck

Quote:
Originally Posted by race774 View Post
When I was a kid Hulk Hogan was the biggest name. Tito Santana, George "the animal" Steele, Hacksaw Jim Duggan. The Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase.

That is the era I watched growing up.
I saw a Hulk Hogan match at the old Boston Garden just after Hulk joined WWF. They were pushing him as a monster.

Bell Rang he charged Domenic Denucci flattened him in the corner and won in 9 seconds.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #11
Orangejello727

My kid years of watching wrestling with my grandfather was during the 80s. WWF and WCW.

Memorable storylines and rivalries:
Brutus the Barber Beefcake used to cut the hair of his opponents after a match. He also stuffed a lit cigar in Barry Wyndams eye from the american express.

Rickey the Dragon Steamboat vs Jake the Snake Roberts. Rickey even brought in a komodo dragon.

George the Animal Steele love story with Elizabeth

The best was watching Abdullah The Butcher on WCW. He always carried a fork in his tights and would bring it out and blood would fly.

Good times when you had to wait up till 11:30pm to catch Saturdays Nights Main Event!!!
Orangejello727 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:21 PM   #12
Harps

Earliest memories are of watching British Saturday afternoon Wrestling with my Grandfather.
Giant Haystacks, Kendo Nagasaki & Big Daddy were the stars. I remember watching what seemed like every wrestler in the business fight Big Daddy in his (or knowing wrestling, one of his) final match, and him knocking them all flying!

My first taste of US wrestling was early 90's WCW. Ricky Steamboat was my guy, and he was feuding with Ravishing Rick Rude (RIP).
Harps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:04 AM   #13
BravesFan4Life

Hogan, Warrior, Savage, Hart Foundation, Road Warriors...etc, watched through the Attitude era up until a bit passed high school. I semi keep track because my brother is still die hard to this day.
BravesFan4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:37 AM   #14
sthoemke

Early 80's Hulk, Andre, Snuka. George "The Animal" Steele was one of my favorites then.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:09 AM   #15
Bulls90s

I was a huge fan of Junk Yard Dog in mid 80s.. I still have his LJN WWF rubber figure in display..the chain collar and the chain. I would go wild when he get down on mat and headbutt his opponents, repeatedly..good times! JYD vs King Harley Race was good rivalry back then..he passed away along time ago from a single car crash b/c he fell asleep behind the wheel..

My favorite wrestler of all time is SCSA..

WHAT!?!?
WHAT!?!?
WHAT!?!?

Im gunna open a can of whup ass on ya and that's the bottom line cuz Stone Cold said so!!!!!!

Give me a HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Bulls90s; 02-23-2018 at 04:23 AM.
Bulls90s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:35 AM   #16
Zahadum

when I started to watch it was The Fabulous Freebirds and The Von Erichs .
A different level of entertainment.....
Old 02-23-2018, 08:39 AM   #17
Tones

haven't watched wrestling in years but remember as a kid watching WCW and Rey Mysterio was my favorite.
FT/FS Album: https://ibb.co/album/mSEtwF
Tones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:18 AM   #18
PoPCulture

Growing up in North Central Florida in the mid 70’s- early 80’s my brothers and I would tune in every Saturday night to watch Gordon Solie bring us “Championship Wrestling from Florida”. Dusty Rhodes was the big draw but some other favorites from that time were Bob Orton Sr, The Briscos, The Funks, Barry Windham, and Wahoo McDaniels among too many others to mention. The American Dream had no shortage of famous rivals pass through including Superstar Billy Graham, Ivan Koloff, Abdul the Butcher, Dick Murdoch and of coarse Ric Flair.
In the early days the show would go on the road to small venues such as high school gyms across the state and I had this gave me the chance to attend my first ever professional “sporting event” as a kid. One of my best memories from these days was from when we were finally able to convince our grandmother to let us watch for the first time. She religiously watched The Lawrence Welk Show in the same time slot on the other channel that we had (that’s right kids....2 channels) but after watching 1 episode of CWF she was hooked and brought us together every week to watch. She still watched WWF right up until her passing.
Thanks for starting this thread so I could share. This brings back good memories!
PoPCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #19
jlzinck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
Growing up in North Central Florida in the mid 70’s- early 80’s my brothers and I would tune in every Saturday night to watch Gordon Solie bring us “Championship Wrestling from Florida”. Dusty Rhodes was the big draw but some other favorites from that time were Bob Orton Sr, The Briscos, The Funks, Barry Windham, and Wahoo McDaniels among too many others to mention. The American Dream had no shortage of famous rivals pass through including Superstar Billy Graham, Ivan Koloff, Abdul the Butcher, Dick Murdoch and of coarse Ric Flair.
In the early days the show would go on the road to small venues such as high school gyms across the state and I had this gave me the chance to attend my first ever professional “sporting event” as a kid. One of my best memories from these days was from when we were finally able to convince our grandmother to let us watch for the first time. She religiously watched The Lawrence Welk Show in the same time slot on the other channel that we had (that’s right kids....2 channels) but after watching 1 episode of CWF she was hooked and brought us together every week to watch. She still watched WWF right up until her passing.
Thanks for starting this thread so I could share. This brings back good memories!
That's awesome.

When we got Cable in the early 80's I finally got to see the NWA and WCW, Loved the Vn Erich's. Sad what happened to that family
Old 02-23-2018, 12:47 PM   #20
RAV2773

Jake "The Snake" Roberts with his DDT finishing move was awesome back in the day......and The Undertaker when he first came on the scene was my favorite.
RAV2773 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:54 PM   #21
majestik101

I'm a kid of the 1980's. Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Brett "the Hitman" Hart, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Macho Man Randy Savage (and Elizabeth), Ultimate Warrior, Ricky "the Steamboat" Dragon, Ric Flair, Sgt. Slaughter, Iron Sheik....
Old 02-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #22
scfa1975

Man it aint like it used to be. My son turns 6 in a few weeks and i try getting him to watch but like i said it aint the same.

I grew up with guys like Honky Tonk Man, Greg The Hammer Valentine, Sgt Slaughter, Nikolia Volkov, The Iron Shiek, Hogan, The Killer Bees, Steamboat, and so many others. I could remember when my mom was alive and she secretly had my father go to the cable company and get the "special" cable box cause they ordered us Wrestlemania or Summerslam....that was such an awesome Sunday

And then there was the occasional sweet moments where i would flip the channels and somehow find the promotion that had the Von Erich's wrestling or there was a showing of NWA wrestling.
scfa1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:58 PM   #23
iplumb1963

Mil Mascaras, Haystacks Calhoun, Jimmy SUPERFLY Snukka, Peter Maivia (the Rocks grandfather).....
iplumb1963 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:08 PM   #24
Dacubs

started with WCCW and the Von Erichs, Freebirds, Gino Hernandez, Chris Adams, Missing link....

then found the AWA with Nick Bockwinkle, Ivan Putski (The polish Hammer), The High Fliers (Jumpin' Jim Brunzell and Greg Gagne)
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:30 PM   #25
windham south

I used to spend summers on Orleans in Cape Cod when I was a kid, so I fondly remember channel 56 and the Creature Double Feature!! Sadly I was only ever allowed to pick one of the movies to watch as I had to spend the rest of the day outside. Probably for the best I know, but it was agonizing picking which movie I wanted to watch! Anyway, I actually discovered the NWA at Cape Cod as they had TBS on Cable there and I saw the saturday night show sometimes. Back at home in CT it was strictly WWF...grew up HATING Backlund and wanting Superstar Billy Graham to take him out.....loved the Superfly and Muraco, Jules and Jay versus Fuji and Saito!!
windham south is online now   Reply With Quote