Blowout Cards Forums
Trending

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 08-28-2017, 03:40 PM   #1
xtwinstarx

Default Can we all agree that digital cards are getting out of control?

I just saw this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Topps-Star-W...AAAOSw7cxZma8m

$10,000 for some jpgs. Am I taking crazy pills?
Also, all card images are in the app, just one 'folder' are the ones you 'own', another folder is any cards.

Makes me feel better when I spend money on cardboard!
xtwinstarx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
jrosales

Can someone please explain what 'digital cards' are? I honestly have no idea.

Always open to discussing sketch card commissions. Please PM me for my availability.
jrosales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
moistpaper

Screenshot and save in a folder! Instant collection
moistpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #4
xtwinstarx

so topps has apps you can put on yer phone to have a digital card collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrosales View Post
Can someone please explain what 'digital cards' are? I honestly have no idea.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #5
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtwinstarx View Post
I just saw this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Topps-Star-W...AAAOSw7cxZma8m

$10,000 for some jpgs. Am I taking crazy pills?
Also, all card images are in the app, just one 'folder' are the ones you 'own', another folder is any cards.

Makes me feel better when I spend money on cardboard!
While that is an extreme price, that was like one of the hardest sets to make. I'd never pay for digital cards though, I use my free credits only.

However, i have seen topps slowly put more and more sets behind paywalls and feel like it'll be rare to get inserts with daily credits only.

To be fair though, tons of people spend overboard on video games for upgrades or buy accounts off people, etc. It's just the digital age. I don't get it, but it's a big enough market I assume.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:01 PM   #6
jdhaugh11

I just get my free credits each day. I got bored of the packs, nothing looks that fun anymore, so I am just stockpiling points and am up to 3.2 million!
I wish they would come out with a 1 million point pack that guarantees a 1/1 card.
Then I could sell it to some fool for $1,000+! LOL
Half kidding, but it is kind of true too.
jdhaugh11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:04 PM   #7
Dewman

Yeah, I collect my points for the day when I remember to open the app. I have just shy of 4 million. I used to collect pretty avidly, but somewhere along the way I lost interest.
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:16 PM   #8
LCM1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewman View Post
Yeah, I collect my points for the day when I remember to open the app. I have just shy of 4 million. I used to collect pretty avidly, but somewhere along the way I lost interest.
Same. It's because Topps sucks. Unless you're P2P there's virtually () no way to make any profit anymore. And even if you do pay, there's little to no secondary value on most cards.

I don't even log in to the apps anymore. Was thinking about just doing Huddle to play my Eagles in the contests this season but that's not even worth it anymore.

The Topps apps are a joke now. SWFC is where it's at
LCM1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #9
dd316

Out of control.... or a viable product?

There are plenty of people who say little pieces of cardboard with photos on them that sell for millions are crazy.

Nobody's going to get $10k for these so I wouldn't worry too much.

It's a video game, and there are people who enjoy playing it. Some occasionally spend money on it, so what?
Old 08-28-2017, 05:13 PM   #10
PoPCulture

I don't use the app as much as I did at the beginning but my girls love using it. I do believe that when the youth of today grow up that they will not own material possessions haha. Just an observation from seeing mine form no attachment to anything that is material anyway. The only problem I have with the digital cards is the way they clog up eBay searches when looking for certain physical cards.
PoPCulture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:46 PM   #11
TheLastDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Out of control.... or a viable product?

There are plenty of people who say little pieces of cardboard with photos on them that sell for millions are crazy.

Nobody's going to get $10k for these so I wouldn't worry too much.

It's a video game, and there are people who enjoy playing it. Some occasionally spend money on it, so what?
This. It's entertainment.

If you go to the movies, a concert, a comedy show, or if you pay $100 bucks for a ppv feed of Mayweather vs. MacGregor, you're paying money for entertainment that has no physical product attached to it.

Same thing here.

Some people pay way too much for little digital images, just like people pay way too much for cardboard. It's all about fun and moderation.
TheLastDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:47 PM   #12
mightymiggs

I got caught up on SWCT early on and thought it was a blast. But then as more and more sets came out, with longer and longer odds, it was clear the direction the app was trending towards. I'll admit I spent more than I should have on that app and it was definitely not worth it in the long run. I enjoyed building my digital collection, but I'll never spend another dime on digital cards that could go towards physical instead.

I think there was a lot of hype generated by that Han Solo Vintage card sale and that led people to believe there was some "value" in digital cards, then you throw on the release of Force Awakens later that year and you got a whole bunch of people that were getting crazy over Star Wars. I doubt the digital market for SW will ever get that high again.
mightymiggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:05 PM   #13
aschade

Thought I would add my opinion on these. My cards weren't showing up right so I contacted Topps and the shut down my account. So apparently Topps doesn't like people reselling these and at any minute can shut down an account and you lose everything. I wasn't even selling anything. On top of this Topps is no making people pay for any chance to get inserts. Free coins can now basically be used on pointless base cards.
aschade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #14
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymiggs View Post
I got caught up on SWCT early on and thought it was a blast. But then as more and more sets came out, with longer and longer odds, it was clear the direction the app was trending towards. I'll admit I spent more than I should have on that app and it was definitely not worth it in the long run. I enjoyed building my digital collection, but I'll never spend another dime on digital cards that could go towards physical instead.

I think there was a lot of hype generated by that Han Solo Vintage card sale and that led people to believe there was some "value" in digital cards, then you throw on the release of Force Awakens later that year and you got a whole bunch of people that were getting crazy over Star Wars. I doubt the digital market for SW will ever get that high again.
The hard part here is it isn't as easy to buy cards (9 at a time via trade) or people want too much for them. And also if topps sees too many one sided trades they'll delete your account.

So really it's darn near impossible for a new person to get old cards without buying someone else's account.

And add the fact that aside from cards you can only get from paid bundles they now have crystals which have to be bought and is the only way to buy those packs.

I like that I can view every card though, so like most people have said, just screenshot the jpeg and it's like you own it lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:56 PM   #15
JWBlue

One thing for digital card is there is 0% chance of them being counterfeited.

I have kind of changed my opinion lately of them. I will be downloading the Topps app and might buy a few digital cards.
JWBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:04 PM   #16
Spider-Fan

I was doing TWD but got bored of it pretty quickly. Racked up about a million credits before I stopped logging in at all.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:11 PM   #17
finfangfan

ePack is the perfect medium that blends virtual with physical trading cards. Plus it is easy to trade and super easy to buy/sell if you use forums like Blowout to do it.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:13 PM   #18
xtwinstarx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBlue View Post
One thing for digital card is there is 0% chance of them being counterfeited.

I have kind of changed my opinion lately of them. I will be downloading the Topps app and might buy a few digital cards.
Also, Topps can take them away in a blink. Look at steam, buy $4k worth of games, if valve wants they can shut off your account without reason. Careful what you wish for.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:32 PM   #19
Xazark

I dont understand people spending money on these, although I also rarely spend money on freemium games, I have spent <$30 on phone apps at all and I am sure some people dont understand some of the things I spend my money on.

I do understand the argument that it is spending money on entertainment, but what is the difference between buying a jpg that you dont own and have no control over, compared to googling the same image and downloading it to your computer for free? You have much more control over it, you could edit it, print it out, combine it with other images...

I like at it sort of like a form of gambling with little to no possibility of a monetary return.

Having said all that, I am clearly not the target market for these, which is sort of weird considering how much I spend on the hobby
Xazark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:13 PM   #20
TimBuckTwo

This is the future of collecting so that when the items become historical artifacts people like ISIS cannot come in and destroy them.

They may take your head but the digital card will live on foreva !
TimBuckTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:19 PM   #21
Cavaliercards

It is better to have this avenue for revenue to help the companies than not as it might help some people crossover into tangible cards.

Follow us on Twitter AND Instagram: @Cavaliercards
Cavaliercards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:24 PM   #22
afrederick12

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
ePack is the perfect medium that blends virtual with physical trading cards. Plus it is easy to trade and super easy to buy/sell if you use forums like Blowout to do it.
Imagine if you could offer trades in COMC. No shipping hassle, instant transfer to your account and then you can send it home whenever. Would be alot fun, however I fear for the people with thousands of cards on there if we could.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:29 PM   #23
Bruvydsb

I BUNT with my 14 yr old son. We each have accounts and it is a ton of fun. Don't spend a nickel. Opening packs , pulling Sigs and Patches , then trading them for "PC". It s a good time.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:58 AM   #24
dd316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xazark View Post
I do understand the argument that it is spending money on entertainment, but what is the difference between buying a jpg that you dont own and have no control over, compared to googling the same image and downloading it to your computer for free? You have much more control over it, you could edit it, print it out, combine it with other images...
It's a game. Downloading images from the internet isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschade View Post
Free coins can now basically be used on pointless base cards.
This isn't true. Yeah, there are some cards that can't be had with free credits, so what? Everybody that buys Star Wars cards can't afford a box of Stellar. Collect what you can. If you put in the effort, you can trade up. Or cross trade in the other Topps apps. You'll never be able to own everything, just like with physical cards. So just enjoy what you can.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:29 PM   #25
mightymiggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xazark View Post
I dont understand people spending money on these, although I also rarely spend money on freemium games, I have spent <$30 on phone apps at all and I am sure some people dont understand some of the things I spend my money on.

I like at it sort of like a form of gambling with little to no possibility of a monetary return.

Having said all that, I am clearly not the target market for these, which is sort of weird considering how much I spend on the hobby
I think there's a bit of contradiction in your post.

What people spend their money on is not necessary for you to understand. Like you stated, it's a form of entertainment and it is indeed similar to gambling, but so is opening physical packs wouldn't you agree? If people out there enjoy collecting a digital card, then that's all you need to understand right?

I guess I'm failing to see your point in your post. Are you criticizing the existence of the digital card realm or are you upset that you aren't actually into it, even though you spend "a lot" of money buying physical packs?
mightymiggs is online now   Reply With Quote