Blowout Cards Forums
2018 mem day coupons

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 08-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #26
Scottish Punk

I tried to get into it as a test of what digital cards is all about. I still haven't figured out the "game" portion of huddle or bunt. My biggest gripe about the app, is that navigation seems difficult and cluttered. It is hard to figure out what cards came from what set in terms of age and whatnot. Probably was pretty simple at the beginning, but now there is too many sets without a more elegant browser tree. I would also think that the pictures of cards should be a "filler" template image until you actually owned the card. Seems like you would get a lot more activity on trying to complete sets that way.

I am still convinced, that digital apps will be the norm very soon. Topps is still trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. Once they find a killer app that crosses the bridge between collectors and gamers where both sides are into it they will make a killing. Building a "vintage" Star Wars collection online would be fun.
Scottish Punk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:31 PM   #27
LCM1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish Punk View Post
I tried to get into it as a test of what digital cards is all about. I still haven't figured out the "game" portion of huddle or bunt. My biggest gripe about the app, is that navigation seems difficult and cluttered. It is hard to figure out what cards came from what set in terms of age and whatnot. Probably was pretty simple at the beginning, but now there is too many sets without a more elegant browser tree. I would also think that the pictures of cards should be a "filler" template image until you actually owned the card. Seems like you would get a lot more activity on trying to complete sets that way.

I am still convinced, that digital apps will be the norm very soon. Topps is still trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. Once they find a killer app that crosses the bridge between collectors and gamers where both sides are into it they will make a killing. Building a "vintage" Star Wars collection online would be fun.
Bingo
LCM1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:29 PM   #28
kerg

Not a digital collector myself given everything else I do, but there are plenty of people who wouldn't give someone a $1 for a Harrison Ford auto so, saying something is out of control because you won't spend money on it just means it is not for you.

Also don't really understand the argument of 'I could just make a jpeg'. Really, anything you could say that for. Any sketch card, print, Mona Lisa, Mantle rookie card. If you want to argue the angle of physical vs digital ownership, I understand that, but just blowing it off vs the copy aspect is just trying to act like you are intellectually superior to anyone buying digital cards.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:32 PM   #29
RonimusPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerg View Post
Not a digital collector myself given everything else I do, but there are plenty of people who wouldn't give someone a $1 for a Harrison Ford auto so, saying something is out of control because you won't spend money on it just means it is not for you.

Also don't really understand the argument of 'I could just make a jpeg'. Really, anything you could say that for. Any sketch card, print, Mona Lisa, Mantle rookie card. If you want to argue the angle of physical vs digital ownership, I understand that, but just blowing it off vs the copy aspect is just trying to act like you are intellectually superior to anyone buying digital cards.
Except, this is key- the sketch is a one of a kind original, the Mantle rookie card/Ford auto is a historical artifact. Those are tangible elements of the physical object. The Topps Card Trader are classy if lazily designed card images. There is no difference between the JPG and the actual thing, because the image itself is the item. There is no layer of value beyond the image itself.
RonimusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:53 PM   #30
JWBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschade View Post
Thought I would add my opinion on these. My cards weren't showing up right so I contacted Topps and the shut down my account. So apparently Topps doesn't like people reselling these and at any minute can shut down an account and you lose everything. I wasn't even selling anything. On top of this Topps is no making people pay for any chance to get inserts. Free coins can now basically be used on pointless base cards.
They don't like people selling Bunt cards including the sports ones?

Really?
JWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:37 AM   #31
kerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonimusPrime View Post
Except, this is key- the sketch is a one of a kind original, the Mantle rookie card/Ford auto is a historical artifact. Those are tangible elements of the physical object. The Topps Card Trader are classy if lazily designed card images. There is no difference between the JPG and the actual thing, because the image itself is the item. There is no layer of value beyond the image itself.
You do realize that I had stated,: 'If you want to argue the angle of physical vs digital ownership, I understand that'.

There is still a level of ownership of said digital item (such as a website address or bitcoin) that extends beyond just the image. Granted, that ownership could be yanked away at any time, but there is a level of 'ownership' beyond just a scan.

Last edited by kerg; 08-30-2017 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:43 AM   #32
Xazark

Quote:
You do realize that I had stated,: 'If you want to argue the angle of physical vs digital ownership, I understand that'.

There is still a level of ownership of said digital item (such as a website address or bitcoin) that extends beyond just the image. Granted, that ownership could be yanked away at any time, but there is a level of 'ownership' beyond just a scan.
The "ownership" of a digital item is imaginary, you dont own anything, Topps does, although I do find the comparison between these and bitcoins interesting, I mean in essence money in general doesn't have value, it only has value because we believe it has value, but thats getting into a whole philosophical discussion which is way off topic
Xazark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #33
xtwinstarx

I don't believe this to be an accurate analogy. If I lay claim to foobar.com, no one else can. However, for SWCT, you have a copy of an image, that technically anyone could download or screenshot from the web. You are in fact coveting an image.

Quote:
xtwinstarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:16 AM   #34
Spider-Fan

Outside if the app, it's just an image. Inside the app, it's either part of your collection or it's not.

If you don't get it, or dont enjoy it, that's fine. Move on to things you enjoy. I dont go to the baseball thread complaining that baseball cards are stupid and nonsports cards are awesome, although that is my personal opinion. I accept some people like things that i dont...
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:08 PM   #35
kerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtwinstarx View Post
I don't believe this to be an accurate analogy. If I lay claim to foobar.com, no one else can. However, for SWCT, you have a copy of an image, that technically anyone could download or screenshot from the web. You are in fact coveting an image.
And if I own a particular card within the application, no one else can lay claim to it. Like Spider said, inside the application it is part of the collection, outside the application it is just an image.

I just view the digital cards like games and there are plenty of games where people spend actual money to have digital items that only have value within that game and could be taken away at any time.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:58 PM   #36
moistpaper

Noo moreee crystallllsssss
moistpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #37
ITLSJXW8

Just spitballing here, but have we had anyone file suit with digital card companies or video game companies over the right to resell?

Didn't Topps and Panini open themselves up to be included in the first sale doctrine when they made cards that you could only get through diamonds?

Collecting all Seminoles autos of players in FSU unis and Anquan Boldin and Jalen Ramsey in any uniform.
ITLSJXW8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #38
daxwills

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITLSJXW8 View Post
Just spitballing here, but have we had anyone file suit with digital card companies or video game companies over the right to resell?

Didn't Topps and Panini open themselves up to be included in the first sale doctrine when they made cards that you could only get through diamonds?
There’s currently some litigation in Europe over this issue. I forget the details. I think it was focused on video game micro transactions or something.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #39
ITLSJXW8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxwills View Post
There’s currently some litigation in Europe over this issue. I forget the details. I think it was focused on video game micro transactions or something.
Okay yeah, I figured Warcraft or some other big game would have something like that in the works. Thanks.

I have spent money on diamonds for some cards and would be pretty upset if my account was closed down if I ever decided to sell.

Collecting all Seminoles autos of players in FSU unis and Anquan Boldin and Jalen Ramsey in any uniform.
ITLSJXW8 is offline   Reply With Quote