Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-14-2017, 02:06 PM   #26
mrclean08

I sent in the cards to BGS. 10-day service took almost a month. Anyhow, the cards arrived today and I'm pretty happy that the cards are all authentic and none were trimmed.

Got five 9's and the rest of the bunch scored high on sub grades except for the centering that hurt those other five.

The lesson learned here was that vintage Star cards are cut in all different sizes as some of you pointed out on this thread.
mrclean08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:04 AM   #27
mcgahee21nfl
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclean08 View Post
I sent in the cards to BGS. 10-day service took almost a month. Anyhow, the cards arrived today and I'm pretty happy that the cards are all authentic and none were trimmed.

Got five 9's and the rest of the bunch scored high on sub grades except for the centering that hurt those other five.

The lesson learned here was that vintage Star cards are cut in all different sizes as some of you pointed out on this thread.

Nice grades! Just wanted to point out there could be another lesson here... BGS has no clue what is authentic or not.
mcgahee21nfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:20 AM   #28
6celtics33

Authentic is not the issue, trimming is. I've seen these cards get trimmed before and I've seen them in slabs being trimmed. The cards are oversized to start with so a would be piece of dog $@!? Trimmer would typically take cards like what is shown on the bottom row, and specifically #8 and #9 because they are scarce in high grade or with good centering and chop that left side down to where the card is 2.5 inches wide. But all you have to do is look for the red bleed opposite that left border on the back. If it's there, even if faint and only visible under a bright light, you're good to go.
6celtics33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:35 PM   #29
mrclean08

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6celtics33 View Post
Authentic is not the issue, trimming is. I've seen these cards get trimmed before and I've seen them in slabs being trimmed. The cards are oversized to start with so a would be piece of dog $@!? Trimmer would typically take cards like what is shown on the bottom row, and specifically #8 and #9 because they are scarce in high grade or with good centering and chop that left side down to where the card is 2.5 inches wide. But all you have to do is look for the red bleed opposite that left border on the back. If it's there, even if faint and only visible under a bright light, you're good to go.
So do the Type II's have absolutely no bleed? Is that the main tell tale sign?
Old 05-10-2019, 10:57 PM   #30
6celtics33

No there are more signs differentiating type 2
6celtics33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:54 AM   #31
myusasets

if you lay it on top of a 25c card from the same set and its smaller ; its a duck. in the old days doing flea markets and small shops i always carried a card in a 20cnt box to compare it to what was being offered. also checked for coloring. same crooks different times
myusasets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:12 AM   #32
cypher

Contact PWCC they can move these conserved copies for you.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #33
jesperson6

congrats on getting into Star. These were Jordan's first cards before fleer. They are iconic and a must have. Was going to comment before I saw you got them graded is that they look legit. Different sizes are common. I have all 10 as well. Congrats!
jesperson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:20 AM   #34
mrclean08

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperson6 View Post
congrats on getting into Star. These were Jordan's first cards before fleer. They are iconic and a must have. Was going to comment before I saw you got them graded is that they look legit. Different sizes are common. I have all 10 as well. Congrats!
Thanks, since getting into Star a little over 2 years ago, I have every single Star issue which is approximately 1,384 cards give or take, minus two cards. The two I am still missing are the 1983-84 #44 Marques Johnson error card and the 1985 Lite All-Stars Jordan #4. (I have the #4A variation however.)

It's been a journey, but a fulfilling one at that.