Blowout Cards Forums
Wave Wed

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-10-2018, 10:40 AM   #1
WHyFLy

Default How do you store your collection?

So, I've always wondered how everyone stores their own collection. Whether they put their cards all in Magnetics or all in Toploaders. Whether they put it in a case or a safe or simply just a shoe box. How do you store your PC items.

Do you use only magnetics? Do you only have Graded Cards in your PC? Do you use both? What about just Toploaders?

Do you store your cards in a Safe? A Bank Vault with Laser Security? What about an old Shoe box you had lying around? Maybe a Shelf or Case?

I'm just curious on how everyone does their own presentation of their collection. Would be nice to see everyone's perspective on why they store their cards the way they do.

Blowout's Resident Atlanta Hawks & Yante Maten Collector
WHyFLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
smalltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHyFLy View Post
So, I've always wondered how everyone stores their own collection. Whether they put their cards all in Magnetics or all in Toploaders. Whether they put it in a case or a safe or simply just a shoe box. How do you store your PC items.

Do you use only magnetics? Do you only have Graded Cards in your PC? Do you use both? What about just Toploaders?

I'm just curious on how everyone does their own presentation of their collection. Would be nice to see everyone's perspective on why they store their cards the way they do.
I have one drawer. My entire collection goes in there. When it starts getting too tight i purge. The majority of my big cards go in toploaders w/sleeves - they take less space, they cost less and they're easier on chrome finished cards. If it's numbered over /10 (depending on the set) it's likely headed into a binder. I have a 500CT box with soft sleeved Prizm RCs and another 500CT box for soft sleeved cards to flip/trade/sell (this gets emptied and sent to COMC every few months).

I do have a few cards which have gone to a safety deposit box with some other collectibles and keepsakes to eventually give to my son or even potential grandkid(s).

Old 04-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #3
watashiwa05

Anything over a couple bucks goes in sleeve and toploader. Anything less (I collect pretty low end) a sleeve grouped in team bags. Most in an actual shoebox, some of my favorites are in cigar boxes on my bookshelf.
TRADE ALBUMS: https://sportscardalbum.com/u/watashiwa05
watashiwa05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
oshmeehan

Everything of Ersan is one-touched and team bagged, including regular base cards.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #5
the mesiah

Quote:
Whether they put their cards all in Magnetics or all in Toploaders.
I put all possible cards that I have in one touch mags , but there are some that won’t fit a one touch or are redemptions that I like to keep in the sealed top loaders.
Whether they put it in a case or a safe or simply just a shoe box. How do you store your PC items.
I keep my one touch mags in the ultra box they come in and put in closet or if they graded I keep in a metal type of case
Do you use only magnetics? NO
Do you only have Graded Cards in your PC? YES
Do you use both? What about just Toploaders? BOTH

Do you store your cards in a Safe? A Bank Vault with Laser Security? What about an old Shoe box you had lying around? Maybe a Shelf or Case? SHOE BOX AND METAL CASE

5 characters

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149024462@N04/albums
the mesiah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
buckunteer

my storage sucks. I literally am using shoe boxes. Storage is an overarching problem for me, as I moved to an apt. with much less storage in general than my former place and I have been attempting to downsize since. I've sold/traded about 1500 non-PC cards in the past few months which has helped, but now I need to invest time I rarely have and money I flat don't have.

In general, any autos, GU or card that books $10+ I put in a top loader. Not the biggest fan of magnetics- without a soft sleeve I think the edges/corners are susceptible. I try to get my nicest PC stuff graded whenever I can (Mitch Richmonds, MJs, Dream Team autos). Most of my 90s stuff that books $1-$8 I have in binders, something I've done since I collected way back when, same for any sets I have done or am working on. I've rapidly run out of room in my binders, another reason I need to sell/trade/somehow get rid of more non-PC stuff.

In addition to clearing out more non-PC stuff I need to invest in storage stuff (I like those harbor freight cases that keep popping up). Hopefully I can in the not-too-distant future. Eventually I'll display some of the nicest stuff as well. Gotta have my man cave some day right?

Last edited by buckunteer; 04-10-2018 at 12:05 PM.
buckunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:32 PM   #7
jick

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltown View Post
...they're easier on chrome finished cards...

What are examples of chrome finished cards?

Why are they easier on chrome finished cards compared to magnetic one touch?
jick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:43 PM   #8
kingmogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshmeehan View Post
Everything of Ersan is one-touched and team bagged, including regular base cards.
I can respect that
Old 04-10-2018, 10:43 PM   #9
WHyFLy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jick View Post
What are examples of chrome finished cards?

Why are they easier on chrome finished cards compared to magnetic one touch?
Chrome finished would be Prizm, Chrome, Select, Optic... The reasoning you do not put those cards in one touch is because they are noted to scratch the surfaces of cards. It is much easier to scratch a chrome style card than say a NT RPA or glossy card. I've made this mistake and you do not want to go down this path. All my Prizm collection is in toploaders or BGS graded and my HOF Relic Autos are in Mags.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:51 PM   #10
jick

Quote:
Chrome finished would be Prizm, Chrome, Select, Optic... The reasoning you do not put those cards in one touch is because they are noted to scratch the surfaces of cards. It is much easier to scratch a chrome style card than say a NT RPA or glossy card. I've made this mistake and you do not want to go down this path. All my Prizm collection is in toploaders or BGS graded and my HOF Relic Autos are in Mags.
Thanks.

Is a foil card such as unparalleled considered like chrome?
jick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:53 PM   #11
WHyFLy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jick View Post
Thanks.

Is a foil card such as unparalleled considered like chrome?
Anything with a chrome texture. If the card feels like Prizm or Optic then yes it is and I would get it out of a Mag and into a Toploader.