AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 05-19-2018, 02:33 PM   #251
DarthRogahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Hope View Post
The prequels were fine. Not great movies, but they still maintained the SW "magic" for me. And I still really like ep3 a lot.
I liked ep7 and the new characters, but 8 just pissed all over everything.

-Finn went from being an important lead to a meaningless side character -went from being on the run/full of fear to confident/welcoming a fight.
-Rose... simply horrible and served no purpose. can't argue this one
-Phasma had a perfect chance to come back and be a big player. Ruined. see boba fett from empire to ROTJ same exact thing
-Snoke, gone. see emperor from episode 5 to 6 same thing
-We all wanted Leia to use the force, but like THAT!? kinda cheesy but I had no issues with it
-Holdo... the whole time I kept thinking "who the hell is this and why are they in a SW movie?" see many new characters who show up later in the story (mon mothma) IMO that role should have went to Ackbar would of had more meaning
-Hux, obnoxious. serves his purpose
-And then we get to Luke. Arguably the greatest hero in cinematic history. One that we waited 30 years to see again. What RJ did with his character is so inexcusable, that it angers me simply typing this...
what they did with his character was great, if you have issues with it blame JJ... He was the one who put him on the island in the first place.

To play devil's advocate
DarthRogahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #252
Rootleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malavon View Post
Guesses as to what?
The guesses of the case count.
Rootleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:24 PM   #253
jdhaugh11

I would so much rather my guess be too high.
It would be much more beneficial to have a more valuable and great case than win a sketch card!
jdhaugh11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:39 AM   #254
Ty Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRogahn View Post
what they did with his character was great, if you have issues with it blame JJ... He was the one who put him on the island in the first place.

To play devil's advocate
I’m going to side with Mark Hamill on this one. He’s been very vocal about how he disagreed with the direction they took him.
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:45 AM   #255
moistpaper

Luke as a grumpy old man is what I’ve always wanted to see! Rey didn’t need him anyways; she has the cheat codes.
moistpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:36 AM   #256
oldgoldy97

Quote:
Originally Posted by moistpaper View Post
Luke as a grumpy old man is what I’ve always wanted to see! Rey didn’t need him anyways; she has the cheat codes.
I do, too.
Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A. Ain’t nobody stopping you with that!
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #257
rudzud

Quote:
I’m going to side with Mark Hamill on this one. He’s been very vocal about how he disagreed with the direction they took him.
Except for the moments disney reminded him in his ear how much money they were paying him and he shut up for a short while. Seeing him try to talk about it at cons, his reaction to what they did to Luke, is soul crushing.
rudzud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #258
Vargaman

Quote:

To play devil's advocate

I loved marks idea that on starkiller base in 7, when the saber wiggled in the snow that it would’ve flown past Rey and Luke catches it.

Then maybe Luke could’ve stopped Kylo, took Rey off to the island with Finn, and then ep8 would be Poe/Leia using the map to get to them all together again.
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:48 AM   #259
Sharard

Wow, least on rotten tomatoes it’s gone from like 70 percent want to see this down to 44 percent. No idea how accurate this is but I’ve never seen this type of numbers on a Star war movie release. Guess there some kind of boycott. Guess new rounds of reviews come out this week. See if drops below the 70 percent mark.
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:36 AM   #260
DarthRogahn

Quote:
i broke down the other characters next to your response.
I actually don't get a decent percentage of the star wars fandom. for a group that is so passionate about it, they complain about over 75% of the movies (prequels, disney era, etc..) complain about most of the card releases, complain about the lack of articulation in figures, and on and on. Anyway.
I will form my own opinion of the movie and not that of an actor, forum or youtube post. Personally looking forward to it.

As far as the cards go, hoping for a few new signers
DarthRogahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:47 AM   #261
Brobocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
I loved marks idea that on starkiller base in 7, when the saber wiggled in the snow that it would’ve flown past Rey and Luke catches it.

Then maybe Luke could’ve stopped Kylo, took Rey off to the island with Finn, and then ep8 would be Poe/Leia using the map to get to them all together again.
Yikes, that would have been awful. To me, this new trilogy should be about the new characters, not the old. Luke coming to Starkiller base out of nowhere to defeat Kylo Ren would have elicited the largest groan possible from me. I was happy they killed of Han Solo, thought Luke was great in 8, and wished they had killed Leia in the blast at the start of 8. Holdo was good enough for me and would have been nice to see her take command. She put Poe in his place.

At the end of the day, what I liked about 8 was that it wasn't all about success, it was about failure. It was about acting on impulse rather than being smart and thinking things through. Poe, Finn, and Rey all act on impulse and are worse off for it. They actually grow throughout the movie and develop some character.

Luke gave away the ending, he told Rey he couldn't just show up and wave around a laser sword. The way I saw 8, was Rian Johnson kind of making fun of 7 and some of the fan reaction. I mean, off the bat, he has Kylo destroy the helmet after Snoke calls him a Vader fanboy. It was great.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #262
kerg

Quote:
I actually don't get a decent percentage of the star wars fandom. for a group that is so passionate about it, they complain about over 75% of the movies
Really, anyone that is a fan of anything spends 75% of their time complaining about everything and anything.

I find many people that are really into something are overall a pretty miserable lot. Sports fans of their team bitch about free agency, the draft, resignings, victories are broken down and complained about. Board game players get a new game and bitch about price, mechanics, material and what wasn't included. People that cook read a recipe and complain about the quantity/type of ingredients, cooking time or how an items isn't really X.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #263
Plinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
At the end of the day, what I liked about 8 was that it wasn't all about success, it was about failure. It was about acting on impulse rather than being smart and thinking things through. Poe, Finn, and Rey all act on impulse and are worse off for it. They actually grow throughout the movie and develop some character.
The lesson about learning from failure was probably the most important value in the film. For young people watching these, it is just as important as all the lessons in other episodes about bravery, friendship, compassion, etc. Life isn't always about great heroic victory. We actually learn much, much more from the times that we fail, rather than succeed. Maybe if Rey starts a new Jedi order, or something else entirely, it will correct for many of the mistakes that old order had made that allowed them to become arrogant in their position, and thus permitting darkness to infiltrate. Whereas Kylo follows a philosophy of killing everything from he past to start anew, Rey might approach it more from learning from past failures, and correcting in the rebuilding.
Plinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:34 AM   #264
Plinth

Quote:
I actually don't get a decent percentage of the star wars fandom. for a group that is so passionate about it, they complain about over 75% of the movies (prequels, disney era, etc..) complain about most of the card releases, complain about the lack of articulation in figures, and on and on. Anyway.
I will form my own opinion of the movie and not that of an actor, forum or youtube post. Personally looking forward to it.
The problem as I see it, is it seems that too many hold these stories to a level of sacredness that should only be reserved for religion. If you can imagine a new text being discovered or introduced to the existing cannon of a traditional religion, there would be a large percentage who would react in similar ways to what we see with these movies. The prequels were met with much hostility, because they contained many things which were unexpected and quite different from what fans of the originals had solidly accepted as truth for twenty years. And now with these new ones, cannon is being augmented even further, in understandings of what the force is and what is possible through it.

I think the healthiest thing to do going forward is to just enjoy these new movies as they come. They don't have to be viewed as sacred texts that take the place of religion. It takes a lot of the pressure off of things going in a direction that we're not comfortable with.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #265
Vargaman

Quote:
Yikes, that would have been awful. To me, this new trilogy should be about the new characters, not the old. Luke coming to Starkiller base out of nowhere to defeat Kylo Ren would have elicited the largest groan possible from me. I was happy they killed of Han Solo, thought Luke was great in 8, and wished they had killed Leia in the blast at the start of 8. Holdo was good enough for me and would have been nice to see her take command. She put Poe in his place.

Luke gave away the ending, he told Rey he couldn't just show up and wave around a laser sword. The way I saw 8, was Rian Johnson kind of making fun of 7 and some of the fan reaction. I mean, off the bat, he has Kylo destroy the helmet after Snoke calls him a Vader fanboy. It was great.
This whole saga is about the Skywalker family. If they wanted it to be about the new people then it shouldn't have been 7-9, it should've had another name and then include the cameos. Ben Solo honestly serves no real purpose here and Kylo Ren could've been any random person and still had the same effect. Aside form killing his dad, who happened to be Han Solo, there's really nothing else special about him to tie with the other characters. Luke still could've tried to kill his apprentice who was turning to the dark side, without it having to be his nephew.

I can only hope sometime down the road we can get more pieces to the puzzle and find out Lucas' full vision for these 3 movies before Disney decided to crap on a lot of aspects.

And I still think they should CGI or re-cast Leia just to finish out the character arc. Sure it sounds selfish for fans to say that, but you don't build a 40+ year story and then have to throw it away because of an actor's passing. I'm sure if anyone asked her before she died she'd have wanted it to go on without her, not haulted and repositioned to work around that.
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #266
Plinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
And I still think they should CGI or re-cast Leia just to finish out the character arc. Sure it sounds selfish for fans to say that, but you don't build a 40+ year story and then have to throw it away because of an actor's passing. I'm sure if anyone asked her before she died she'd have wanted it to go on without her, not haulted and repositioned to work around that.
I don't know if CGI Leia or any recasting will happen. If I recall KK mentioned that they didn't want to go in that direction.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Episode IX will open with a time skip to Leia's funeral, or thereabouts. Rey could mention that Leia had taught her everything she knew about the force and how to consider it, as wielding it is more a state of mind. This will help the audience accept Rey's further developed abilities when going into that episode's story.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #267
ForceChange77

Where is the card discussion?
ForceChange77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #268
Brobocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceChange77 View Post
Well, they haven't given us anything to talk about so........
Old 05-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #269
Bryanjs14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceChange77 View Post
give it 48-72 hours until someone gets in hand and posts odds and some hits
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #270
PoPCulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post
give it 48-72 hours until someone gets in hand and posts odds and some hits
No doubt. They started showing up at distributors warehouses on Friday so someone will have these in hand by Wed or Thur.
PoPCulture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #271
Brobocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
No doubt. They started showing up at distributors warehouses on Friday so someone will have these in hand by Wed or Thur.
Wonder when Blowout will ship theirs? Any chance I'd get it this week? I've never pre-ordered something from them.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #272
Zeldafanatic15

Quote:
Wonder when Blowout will ship theirs? Any chance I'd get it this week? I've never pre-ordered something from them.
How close are you to VA? If BO starts shipping Thursday, some East Coast will get it Friday. I'm right across the river, so as long as I order something before the daily cutoff I get it the next day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Zeldafanatic15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:29 PM   #273
Brobocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldafanatic15 View Post
How close are you to VA? If BO starts shipping Thursday, some East Coast will get it Friday. I'm right across the river, so as long as I order something before the daily cutoff I get it the next day.

Cleveland, Ohio.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #274
PoPCulture

Quote:
I’ve always heard that BO goes by the shipping map in order to have the product to you on release day. I’m in the 3 day shipping zone and the few times that I’ve preordered from here I have always received on release day. Thing that sucks about Friday Street dates is that there’s no margin for error, if it’s a day late that means Monday delivery.
PoPCulture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:35 PM   #275
Zeldafanatic15

Quote:
Cleveland, Ohio.
That's their shipping window, so 2 day for Ohio. I don't believe they do weekend shipping with UPS, so if they do ship Thursday, I'd expect Monday delivery.

Zeldafanatic15 is online now   Reply With Quote