Wave 12

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 08-01-2018, 03:19 PM   #26
SDcardguy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh611 View Post
Nothing will happen to him. Even if he gets fired someone else will sign him.
Probably true but remember what happened with Greg Schiano and Tennessee last year?
SDcardguy24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:27 PM   #27
Josh611

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDcardguy24 View Post
Probably true but remember what happened with Greg Schiano and Tennessee last year?
Lets see. Greg Schiano vs Urban.

Urban will always find a job.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:33 PM   #28
JCC6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDcardguy24 View Post
Yep all those crazy Tennessee fans that wouldn't just take Urban's word when he said Schiano had such great character. Schiano might get a head coaching job after all!
JCC6603 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #29
pgisback

I understand students but now football coaches are responsible for other adult relationships? Isn’t that what we have a legal system for?
Nikita Kucherov RCs/On Card Autos
pgisback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #30
hairysasquatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEBEER View Post
Michigan Sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEBEER View Post
No, they suck too. All of Michigan sucks.
Hahahaha - great answer - strong, even.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:10 PM   #31
ILOVEBEER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh611 View Post
Lets see. Greg Schiano vs Urban.

Urban will always find a job.
And with Ohio State's recruitment, they would no doubt get an excellent coach. But, I don't see Urban leaving because of this.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:33 PM   #32
Bulls90s

Wow..Urban on paid leave..good stuff!

EDIT: Im sure this made Tony Kornheiser's day..he loathes Urban and called him self-righteous.

Urban Meyer is a serial liar --Deadspin

Last edited by Bulls90s; 08-01-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Bulls90s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:51 PM   #33
Siberian13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls90s View Post
Wow..Urban on paid leave..good stuff!

EDIT: Im sure this made Tony Kornheiser's day..he loathes Urban and called him self-righteous.
Wish I could be on PAID leave
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:57 PM   #34
hairysasquatch

Hilarious but tOSU would bring him back if he had murdered someone. Zero ethics.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:10 PM   #35
Gigantor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgisback View Post
I understand students but now football coaches are responsible for other adult relationships? Isn’t that what we have a legal system for?
I imagine OSU considers Meyer the direct supervisor of this former coach. Doing a quick search, it looks like the NCAA leaves it up to the university to create their own policy. At least it looks it looks that way from page 13 of the policy linked below on "Addressing Sexual Assault and Interpersonal Violence"

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...Prevention.pdf

Quote:
LEGAL REQUIREMENTS
Athletics departments are held to the same federal requirements of all institutional staff and departments when it comes to education and reporting requirements. Athletics staff members are required to report any suspected or alleged sexual violence or harassment immediately to appropriate campus offices for resolution; the athletics department is not the appropriate staff to adjudicate a reported case of sexual assault.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:13 PM   #36
Davis

Raise your hand if any of this Urban Meyer news surprises you.....no one?

People have been questioning his ethics for years. The only surprise of this is if there is any real punishment that comes to him. He always seems to slither away.

I was caught by this quote at the end of Brett McMurphy's article this morning: “Zach once told me,” said Courtney, “if he ever got fired and this all comes out: ‘I’ll take everyone at Ohio State down with me.’ ”
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:18 PM   #37
hairysasquatch

Where are the Buckeyes in this thread? I would like some mullet - and wife - beater - inspired wisdom. ...
Old 08-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #38
rittdk01

Why didn’t this lady go to the police instead of urban meyers’ wife? Only thing in college more sleazy than OSU is Michigan. Truth
rittdk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #39
deansayso

I hope he stays... don't want matt Campbell to leave yet
deansayso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:35 PM   #40
coachnip13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittdk01 View Post
Why didn’t this lady go to the police instead of urban meyers’ wife?
Uh, she did. That's what has all come out. Read up on one of the news reports.
coachnip13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:47 PM   #41
hairysasquatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittdk01 View Post
Why didn’t this lady go to the police instead of urban meyers’ wife? Only thing in college more sleazy than OSU is Michigan State. Truth
Edit: fixed.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:53 PM   #42
packman80

My guess OSU does buyout with Meyer wants to get rid of him quick as they can to distance themselves. Though if they did find he knew about this and did nothing he would have violated his contract as a state employee and OSU could fire him with cause and not owe him anything but that could get messy doing that

http://s445.photobucket.com/user/GBP4EVER/library/Packers%20Collectables?sort=3&page=1
packman80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:55 PM   #43
ninjacookies

Winning > ethics, amirite?
ninjacookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:08 PM   #44
ILOVEBEER

Quote:
Originally Posted by packman80 View Post
My guess OSU does buyout with Meyer wants to get rid of him quick as they can to distance themselves. Though if they did find he knew about this and did nothing he would have violated his contract as a state employee and OSU could fire him with cause and not owe him anything but that could get messy doing that
Will still beat michigan...
Old 08-01-2018, 08:13 PM   #45
Siberian13

Penn State, Michigan State, Ohio State - Who’s next?
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:13 PM   #46
Scottish Punk

Starting to be a tradition at OSU for coaches forced to leave amidst scandals. If Meyer does get let go, it makes the Big Ten east even more interesting.
Scottish Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:19 PM   #47
packman80

One day after the alleged domestic incident, that Urban Meyer allegedly knew about (Oct. 25, 2015), Meyer went on Bill O'Reilly's show and said that he'd have trouble keeping Jameis Winston on his team after Winston stole crab legs. ONE DAY

http://s445.photobucket.com/user/GBP4EVER/library/Packers%20Collectables?sort=3&page=1
packman80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:19 PM   #48
lambeauleap87

I think what really sucks as an Ohio State fan (aside from having a trash can such as Zach Smith be associated with your favorite team) is that if Urban said the same thing about the 2015 incident as the 2009 ("it's a private matter, no charges were pressed, there's two sides to the story, etc."), this probably goes away...instead of claiming some "fake news" story. Or if he had owned it ("we should've fired him sooner, that's on me." Whatever). Brett McMurphy did a stellar job backing his story, citing sources, and covering his bases.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's fired, I wouldn't be surprised if he's retained. The investigation is going to, obviously, be very important because right now it's a bunch of hearsay from Courtney Smith and a few of the coaches' wives. Regardless, Smith should've been fired a long time ago, for being both a terrible coach and an even worse human (nepotism strikes again!).

Either way, heads are gonna roll because someone knew. Smith's lawyer said in a conversation with local media that there were things (such as the criminal trespassing charge) that were withheld from Urban because Zach wanted to protect him from this situation. So what did he know? Who knows, but I hope we find out. There are a multitude of reasons to justify his dismissal, and there are just as many ways to justify keeping him. I think it's important to let the facts (not hearsay) come out before taking a hardline stance either way.

My one other thought/question that I've had, watching it all play out...Urban didn't cover anything up (to anyone's knowledge, I'm sure some more digging will be done) The police were informed, no charges were filed. Aside from firing Smith when it broke (which, even then gets dicey), what else was expected to be done from Meyer and Ohio State's perspective? That's a legitimate question, and I do believe Smith should've been fired on the spot, especially after a history of that.

Last anecdote...Courtney Smith is to be applauded in all of this. That takes a lot of strength and a lot of guts to not only face her abuser, but to do so in such a public spotlight where there are a lot of irrational people (on both sides of the spectrum who both love and don't love Ohio State) shows a lot of courage. Good for her, and I hope Zach gets what he deserves.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:22 PM   #49
Fenway55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
Somehow I think Urbz will find a way to slither out of this one.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...ith/878719002/

Evidence cited indicates his wife knew, and that she planned to tell him, but he will probably be able to plausibly deny that she ever did. She's not going to testify against him.

My God...the B1G....
I don’t find there is plausible deniability here. We know there were texts sent to Meyer’s wife. The texts were about spousal abuse, not forgetting to take out the trash. I don’t see it as even remotely plausible that she didn’t tell her husband what was going on.
Fenway55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #50
Scottish Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeauleap87 View Post
Last anecdote...Courtney Smith is to be applauded in all of this. That takes a lot of strength and a lot of guts to not only face her abuser, but to do so in such a public spotlight where there are a lot of irrational people (on both sides of the spectrum who both love and don't love Ohio State) shows a lot of courage. Good for her, and I hope Zach gets what he deserves.
This is a great point. There are a lot of OSU fans that a full on cray cray. If Meyer is gone or suspended and they lose some games she will be blamed.

PS Brett McMurphy is a she.
Scottish Punk is offline   Reply With Quote