Blowout Cards Forums
Wave 8

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 08-03-2018, 10:48 PM   #1
packerfan4200

Default ***Official 2018 Big Ten Season Thread***

So, B1G football fans, how do you feel about this years team? I'm a Wisconsin Badger fan,so to get the year started, I'm interested to hear some real talk from fans of other B1G teams. How's your roster looking this year? Prognostication for upcoming season...Who are your star underclassmen? Wisconsin finished up 13-1 last year with an Orange Bowl victory and I think we could see more of the same this year.

On offense, the Badgers return 9 starters. They lost a really good TE in Troy Fumigali and their FB. The 2018 unit has the potential to be the 3rd one in school history to average over 40 points a game for the year. However, they may not actually do it because it isn't HC Paul Chrysts style to run up the score in blowouts. We shall see, but they certainly have all the pieces in place. While the D has carried the team the past few seasons, the torch will be passed to the O this year.

At QB the Badgers return R-Jr Alex Hornibrook. He takes a lot of #@#@#@#@ for making the occasional poor decision with the ball and he doesn't have the strongest arm out there. With that said, he just had the 2nd best season a UW QB has ever had as a 3rd year soph. He is deadly accurate when he steps into his throws, had spent the past 2 offseasons training with Bob Whitfield, and has a lethal supporting cast around him. Jack Coan and Walk-on and walk-on Danny Vandenboom round out the depth for this season. UW has the 3rd ranked pocket passer, Graham Mertz , committed for '19 class (finally a blue chipper).

At RB, Jonathan Taylor will get the bulk of the work. As a relatively un-heralded True Freshman for Salem, NJ last season, Taylor exploded onto the scene for 1,977 rushing yards. Holy balls. He is legit folks. Not your grandpas Wisconsin RB, he's 5'11 220 and ran a 10.47 100m at 215 last May. He's on lots of preseason watch lists and rightfully so. Behind him, Chris James and Taiwan Deal will battle for reps. The preferred backup to Taylor, Bradrick Shaw, is battling his way back from a leg injury. Coaches said today they're hopeful he's back for B1G opener vs Iowa. Alec Ingold will be the FB. Has great hands out of the backfield and has been the main goal line guy his first 2 seasons.

At Wide Receiver, UW is as loaded as they've ever been. WR coach Ted Gilmore is the unsung hero of the coaching staff. Total stud at player development and the ace recruiter of the staff. #1 WR is Jr Quintez Cephus. Kid is an NFL talent no doubt, and has only played like 4 years of organized football. Was a Furman basketball commit from Macon, GA. Danny Davis was a NSD pull from Springfield, OH in the '17 class. 4*, top 200 kid. Definitely showed the most potential of the whole group as a true frosh last year. Had 3 TD grabs in the orange bowl against Miami and wins nearly every jump ball. Excited for him. AJ Taylor (mr football in missouri 2016 and 4* kid) as well as Kendric Pryor round out top 4. '18 freshman Aron Cruikshank is one to watch.

At TE, Troy Fumigali will be tough to replace. Senior Zander Neuville, R-So Kyle Penniston, and R-Fr Jake Ferguson will form a committee of sorts. Neuville is the blocking TE. Kyle P can do some of everything but isn't really a standout. Ferguson on the other hand, by all accounts had been an absolute mis-match last year on scout team and this spring in practice. He is one to watch for sure and could be the breakout player of the year at UW.

On O-Line, there isn't much to say besides its going to be a total domination. At LG, RG, and RT the Badgers return 3 year starters and All-Americans last season in Michael Dieter, Beau Benzschewal, and David Edwards. All return this season despite being all-American last year and receiving 2nd-4th round draft grades. At C, Tyler Biadasz was freshmen all American as a red-shirt. Badass farm boy who will make a lot of money in the NFL. LT is the only question on the line. It will either be RS-So Cole Van Lanen (Army All American) or RS-Jr Jon Dietzen. He's a huge kid with 20 career starts and is tough as nails, but had been playing hurt his whole career. Had surgery to fix torn labrums in both hips (which he played through all last year), and is supposedly all good and favorite to win job. Rest of depth would be starting at about 10 other B1G teams.

On Defense, the team has to replace 7 starters and 9 regular contributors from a unit that finished 2nd in the country last season. This is a problem, to be sure, but one I am confident Jim Leonhard has the chops to deal with.

At Dline, the replace Conor Sheehy, Alec James, and Chikwe Obasih. All were 4 year players and very solid. They have Olive Sagapolu at one spot. He's 335 # and does backflips on the beach. 3 year starter himself. After that it gets muddy. Garrett Rand (Jr from AZ. 4* army AA kid) torn his knee up in spring practice and is out for the year. To replace him will be RS-Fr Aaron Vopal and True Fr Bryson Williams. Williams looks like a beast. As an early enrollee this spring has been a monster according to beat writers. At the other DE spot,RS-So 6'7" Isaiah Loudermilk looks to be our best prospect since JJ Watt. Kid is going to be good, provided he stays healthy. The staff also moved highly touted RS-Fr OG Kayden Lyles, from Oline to Dline a few weeks ago after Rands injury became public knowledge. He will likely be a very good player after he finds his way. Is 6'3" 324 and very athletic. Staff was raving about him as future star on oline. They didn't move him to have him sit...

OLB is a bit of a question mark. Andrew Van Ginkel will occupy one spot as a senior. He was a Jr eligible juco transfer last season from Iowa Western and showed a lot. He has a knack for making big plays. Will probably have 8+ sacks this season as well as create a few TOs. Zack Baun is the other projected starter. Athletic freak from Brown Deer, WI had been jammed behind TJ watt, Vince biegel, Garrett Dooley and Leon Jacobs so far but they're all gone now and he's healthy. Watch for him...Inside LB has Senior TJ Edwards returning. Huge difference maker at college level. Last year he finished 2nd team AA and 2nd for Butkus award last season. Prototype run stopper with average pass rushing skills and plus coverage skills. Former walkon Ryan Connelly will start along side Edwards. Very consistent and makes quite a few plays. Reminds me a lot of Joe Schobert. Chris Orr (Zachs little bro), Mason Stokke and Griffin Grady will probably round out the 2 deep.

In the secondary, more questions. The heartbeat of the secondary, 5th year Sr, D'Cota Dixon will be at SS. He's a hard hitter and backs it all up. No B1G WRs want to meet up with him in the middle of the field. Makes plays forcing fumbles. The other safety looks like it will be RS-Fr Scott Nelson. Rangy kid, 6'3". Coaches have spoken highly of him. At CB, they have to replace two lockdown guys in Nick Nelson and Derrick Tindal. Donte Carriyere-Williams is locked in at #1 spot and Faion Hicks look to be the guy at the other side. Madison cone, Caesar Willimas or Deron Harrell may win the #2 job as well. All seem to have lots of potential but not much experience. This position group will go a long way in determining how UWs season shakes out. If they are solid, defense will be great again. If they are shaky or worse, it will be a big time chink in the armor.

Freshmen to watch: Nakia Watson RB, Isaac Guerendo WR/RB, Aron CruickshankWR, and Bryson Williams DE/NT, Reggie Pearson S

I am going to predict an 11-1 regular season. Could easily be 10-2 or 12-0. Iowa and northwestern on the road are trap games and away games vs PSU and Michigan will obviously be tough. After that, it all depends on health of the team and if Horni is in rythmn for B1G champ game and potentially the playoff. Sky is the limit for this years team. If the catch some breaks in the infirmary they have the talent and coaching to reach the pinnacle this year and that's not just hyperbole. I'm so excited, please August 31st can't get here soon enough

Last edited by packerfan4200; 08-04-2018 at 11:57 AM.
packerfan4200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:32 AM   #2
IowaCubs1

Go Hawks!
IowaCubs1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
packerfan4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaCubs1 View Post
Go Hawks!
The game on September 22nd will go a long way towards deciding the west. Should be a good one.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #4
CC_123

I think the Gophers will be better than last season. They lacked depth all over the place last season and lacked a capable QB that couldn't even throw 5 yards.

I'm not sold on Tanner Morgan at QB, but he showed some nice stuff in the spring game that shows he has some positive potential that could surprise a lot of Big Ten defenses. Backing him up is a preferred walk-on, Zack Annexstad, who chose to come to the Gophers without a scholarship over scholarship offers from Cincinnati, Illinois, Pittsburgh, Southern Miss, and Western Kentucky.

Shannon Brown is out for the season at HB, which is a big blow. Luckily we still have Rodney Smith, but behind him there isn't any proven talent. I think RS freshman Mohamed Ibrahim will likely get the #2 spot on the depth chart.

Wide receiver is actually one of the deepest offensive positions for the Gophers. Obviously Tyler Johnson will be the go to guy. Besides Johnson, I think freshman Rashod Bateman, RS sophomore Phillip Howard, and RS freshman Demetrious Douglas could all be surprises in the receiving game.

Obviously, on the offensive side of the ball, QB and offensive line will be the two biggest question marks. The starting offensive line will likely have two seniors, two sophomores, and one RS freshman. Backing them up will be three RS freshman, one true freshman, and a junior transfer. We did get two impressive and highly recruited lineman from IMG academy, Curtis Dunlap Jr and Daniel Faalele (who had major SEC schools recruiting him, including Alabama and Auburn), but I don't know how much playing time they'll see this season unless injuries occur.

Defensively I think the Gophers will be tough. They were missing some major pieces last season due to the absurd amount of injuries.

The defensive line will be able to get some nice pressure with Carter Coughlin coming in off the edge. They can also move DE Tai'yon Devers, who was an impact player two years ago, into a DT position to get more pressure from that position if needed. I think OJ Smith could be an impact player at NT against the run for the Gophers this season though.

Linebacker is the Gophers strongest defensive position, returning a lot of experience in juniors Kamal Martin and Thomas Barber. They also have the Huff brothers, Jacob and Julian, who were both very good last season. And lastly, Blake Cashman, who has been a pleasant surprise the last two seasons, recording 75 tackles and 9.5 sacks in the last two seasons.

Cornerback will be a big question mark defensively with an in-experienced bunch in transfer from Florida, Chris Williamson, RS freshman Ray Estes, and junior Coney Durr. The only CB that has a year under his belt is RS sophomore Kiondre Thomas, who didn't do a whole lot last season.

Safety is the Gophers second strongest defensive position with Antoine Winfield Jr and Antonio Shenault. If those two stay healthy, we will be fine at safety. If either goes down, it could be ugly with their backups being a RS freshman and a RS sophomore.

Overall, I think the Gophers finish the season with a 8-4 regular season record, especially if Tanner Morgan is at least serviceable at QB.

That means they need to record two wins out of Iowa, Nebraska, Ohio State, Purdue, Northwestern, and Wisconsin. I think going 2-4 against those six teams should be more than achievable this season. They can go 1-11 this season though as long as that one win is against Wisconsin.

Heres to HOPEFULLY a better season than last year!

Ski-U-Mah!

Last edited by CC_123; 08-04-2018 at 01:35 PM.
CC_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
hairysasquatch

Harbaugh better get it together this year.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #6
packman80

Was cool to see Badgers take first series lead in MN-WI history last year. This year though Badgers schedule will be very very tough. Though looks like Badgers finally starting to get good enough that kids are wanting to come to UW. Their 2019 class might be the best they have ever had coming in.

http://s445.photobucket.com/user/GBP4EVER/library/Packers%20Collectables?sort=3&page=1
packman80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:42 PM   #7
CC_123

Quote:
Originally Posted by packman80 View Post
Was cool to see Badgers take first series lead in MN-WI history last year. This year though Badgers schedule will be very very tough. Though looks like Badgers finally starting to get good enough that kids are wanting to come to UW. Their 2019 class might be the best they have ever had coming in.
Thats what the 2018 class was for the Gophers (38th nationally). Best in school history. It looks like the 2019 will top the 2018 class though (currently 24th nationally). It might take another year for it to really show, but at least Fleck has been bringing positive aspects to the football program. I loved Kill and what he did for the program, but Fleck has brought some life and excitement back to the University.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:31 PM   #8
packerfan4200

Quote:
Just landed Spencer Lytle this afternoon. OLB from St John Bosco (Bellflower, CA). Chose UW over Clemson. Had scholarship offers from Texas, Oklahoma, texas am, ucla, Notre dame, cal, auburn, Oregon, Virginia, cal, Duke, Nebraska and many other P5 schools. Also had offers from Harvard, Yale, Penn, Princeton and rest of Ivy League. Definitely a bright kid.

And finally, as a bonus, UW gets into St John Bosco. They're the #1 ranked HS program in the country for this season. They have a ton of blue chip kids committed mostly to Pac-12 schools for this class but there's a several more in the '20 class and UW is involved with a few of them early.

Last edited by packerfan4200; 08-06-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #9
packerfan4200

Nice write up CC, thanks. Looking forward to making it 15 in a row this year
Old 08-04-2018, 05:45 PM   #10
Siberian13

Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:48 PM   #11
packerfan4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian13 View Post
Hopefully Urbz suffers the same fate as sweater vest
Old 08-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #12
ILOVEBEER

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerfan4200 View Post
Hopefully Urbz suffers the same fate as sweater vest
I said it earlier, Buckeyes have probably the second most coveted coaching position in the NCAA. Won't have to do much to find a quality replacement. Urbz set them up quite well with recruiting.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:01 PM   #13
packerfan4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEBEER View Post
I said it earlier, Buckeyes have probably the second most coveted coaching position in the NCAA. Won't have to do much to find a quality replacement. Urbz set them up quite well with recruiting.
I agree with what you said but who are they going to hire 3 weeks before the season starts? Also, right in a middle of fall camps...it's not a minor thing for OSU if urban gets canned. Don't fool yourself
Old 08-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #14
CC_123

Quote:
Nice write up CC, thanks. Looking forward to making it 15 in a row this year
There is no doubt in my mind that Wisconsin will win this year, but the Gophers are closing the gap. I think the Gophers lose by 14+ this year to Wisconsin, but next year it's going to be a one score differential and I think either team could honestly win. The 2007-2009 window is still frustrating. Should've for sure won in 2008, but in typical Gophers fashion, choked it away.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:32 PM   #15
packman80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEBEER View Post
They have had two shaddy coaches who did enough to get fired now. My guess OSU will take time and try to find the squeaky cleanest guy they can get

http://s445.photobucket.com/user/GBP4EVER/library/Packers%20Collectables?sort=3&page=1
Old 08-04-2018, 06:33 PM   #16
packman80

Quote:
Just landed Spencer Lytle this afternoon. OLB from St John Bosco (Bellflower, CA). Chose UW over Clemson. Had scholarship offers from Texas, texas am, ucla, Notre dame, cal, auburn, Oregon, Virginia, cal, Duke, Nebraska and many other P5 schools. Also had offers from Harvard, Yale, Penn, Princeton and rest of Ivy League. Definitely a bright kid.

And finally, as a bonus, UW gets into St John Bosco. They're the #1 ranked HS program in the country for this season. They have a ton of blue chip kids committed mostly to Pac-12 schools for this class but there's a several more in the '20 class and UW is involved with a few of them early.
Big get to get Lytle I am also hoping the Badgers land Bryce Benhart having him and Logan Brown at tackle would be huge for next 4 years

Old 08-04-2018, 06:41 PM   #17
packerfan4200

Quote:
Big get to get Lytle I am also hoping the Badgers land Bryce Benhart having him and Logan Brown at tackle would be huge for next 4 years
Yeah I've been waiting on benhart for a while. Not sure what his holdup is. Still very confident in him picking UW though.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:56 PM   #18
packerfan4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC_123 View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that Wisconsin will win this year, but the Gophers are closing the gap. I think the Gophers lose by 14+ this year to Wisconsin, but next year it's going to be a one score differential and I think either team could honestly win. The 2007-2009 window is still frustrating. Should've for sure won in 2008, but in typical Gophers fashion, choked it away.
Meh, I don't know. I think if anything, the gap is getting wider. You mentioned your '19 class is currently ranked 24th but they have 24 commits. Meanwhile, UWs class is 26th with 13 kids. Also, the gap between Coach Paul Chryst and pj fleck is the biggest issue for Minnesota. I would call that more of a canyon than a gap. I would like to see you guys get better though. It hasn't been a "rivalry" for quite some time. Good luck on the upcoming season!

Last edited by packerfan4200; 08-04-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:58 PM   #19
CC_123

Quote:
Meh, I don't know. I think if anything, the gap is getting wider. You mentioned your '19 class is currently ranked 24th but they have 22 commits. Meanwhile, UWs class is 26th with 13 kids. Also, the gap between Coach Paul Chryst and pj fleck is the biggest issue for Minnesota. I would call that more of a canyon than a gap. I would like to see you guys get better though. It hasn't been a "rivalry" for quite some time. Good luck on the upcoming season!
To me though, rankings don't mean a whole lot in terms of recruiting classes. Its how they are coached up and how bought in the players are and I think the team is bought in to Fleck and his system. If he can turn Western Michigan, a school that doesn't get major recruits, from a team that won one game into the 14th ranked team in the country, I think he can definitely turn the Gophers program around. Im hoping I am right, anyways. I also want the rivalry to be just that again, a rivalry. Good luck to you as well and hopefully the game on November 24th will be closely contested!
Old 08-04-2018, 08:11 PM   #20
packerfan4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC_123 View Post
To me though, rankings don't mean a whole lot in terms of recruiting classes. Its how they are coached up and how bought in the players are and I think the team is bought in to Fleck and his system. If he can turn Western Michigan, a school that doesn't get major recruits, from a team that won one game into the 14th ranked team in the country, I think he can definitely turn the Gophers program around. Im hoping I am right, anyways. I also want the rivalry to be just that again, a rivalry. Good luck to you as well and hopefully the game on November 24th will be closely contested!
I agree about recruiting rankings. Wisconsin fans know this. We consistently "rank" in the 30s in recruiting classes but finish in the top 10 every year on the field and have been to 16 straight bowl games while having a winning season 21 of the last 22. To me, offer lists of the players are far more telling than some arbitrary star ranking or composite number. I'll take the word of the coaches who make millions of dollars to decide if HS players are good enough to play for their program over some nerdy "journalists" opinion. There's also lots of politics involved in ranking HS kids.

As far as fleck and what he's selling, don't even get me started there haha. To me he's more carny than football coach
Old 08-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #21
lambeauleap87

Whether it's Urban or Ryan Day running the show, the Buckeyes still won't end up worse than 10-2. If they get past TCU early, they'll be in the CFP, I would guess.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:57 PM   #22
Hollywood42

I'm in for another year of Gopher disappointment
Blowout's Minnesota Twins Face of the Franchise
Hollywood42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:53 PM   #23
packerfan4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood42 View Post
I'm in for another year of Gopher disappointment
I know i posted this last year but too funny not to post again

Fleck charting what being elite means, to the Twin Cities media
Old 08-06-2018, 10:30 PM   #24
Dielon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeauleap87 View Post
Whether it's Urban or Ryan Day running the show, the Buckeyes still won't end up worse than 10-2. If they get past TCU early, they'll be in the CFP, I would guess.
55-24
Old 08-07-2018, 08:22 PM   #25
lambeauleap87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dielon View Post
55-24
Which is bigger: that point spread or the amount of years since Iowa won an outright B1G Championship in football?