Blowout Cards Forums
2018 bk pre order

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > The National Sports Collectors Convention

Notices

The National Sports Collectors Convention This is a seasonal forum that will run from about April through August each year.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:12 AM   #1
tylermckinzie

Default Was anyone part of the missing BGS Submission at the National?

Trying to get more info if anyone else is missing cards and are on Blowout. First of all, let me say this isn't an attempt to bash BGS- they are trying to help out in this and have been communicating with the submitter.

My goal in the thread is to maybe catch some serial numbers from the cards involved so that it someone happens to see one for sale, it might help out.

The cards were part of a larger (400ish) submission. One person had collected from many people to help fill the submission. They had been divided into 100 card submissions. When the person went to collect them at the end of the National, one part of the submission (100 cards) were missing.

There is a chance they were handed over incorrectly to someone who was collecting another order. The hope here is that honesty wins out if this is the case, and the cards come back to BGS. Another hope is that they were simply logged incorrectly and will be discovered in another batch..... although hopes are all that they have in that case.

He also said early indication was that, if they have to reimburse them, that might be based on average current sell value, which really made him mad that a large number of his cards were basketball that are selling lower right now then when he purchased them to hold for next year, and that it doesn't account for the fact many of them he believed were 9.5 candidates. Anyway, with the size, I was curious if any BO members had been part of this so maybe more serial numbers can be noted.

In the end, my friend is missing about 15 cards left (some were part of another group, and some were not submitted when flaws were caught). Some are serial numbered, some are not, but probably looking at $12-$15K value range on his cards alone.

Like I said, BGS has been communicative here and is not dodging... so not attempting to have this thread go into a discussion on whether you like them or PSA etc. Just want to get a BOLO on some nice cards.

Thanks!
Tyler

Cards known to be submitted:

2016 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractor Rookie auto Victor Robles 22/50
2016 Bowman Chrome Blue Refractor Rookie auto Taylor Trammell 112/150
2016 Bowman Chrome Red Refractor Rookie auto Taylor Trammell 3 or 4/5 (trying to find a back pic)

Not numbered cards:
Topps Chrome Rookie Refractor Kevin Durant
Prizm Silver Donovan Mitchell
Bowman Chrome Rookie Tom Brady

Sean Murphy Non-Auto Superfractor 2018 Bowman
Tristen Lutz Non-Auto Superfractor 2017 Bowman Draft
Pat Mahomes Contenders and Contenders Variation 1/1
Mahomes Cracked Ice Auto x9 (each /26)

Numbered cards but searching for serial pics:
Jahmai Jones Bowman Chrome Gold Rookie Refractor auto /50
Taylor Trammell Bowman Chrome Green Refractor rookie auto /99

Last edited by tylermckinzie; 08-14-2018 at 04:50 PM.
tylermckinzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:05 AM   #2
cking

subscribed.....this oughta be good.
cking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:56 AM   #3
TimBuckTwo

Shirley, this is not correct.
TimBuckTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:02 AM   #4
mhcook

This is the first I have heard of this. The whole idea is very scary.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2018, 09:00 AM   #5
OLDPAPER

Holy moly...wow..thankfully not...best of luck to all involved
Old 08-10-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
PoPCulture

In other news.....Due to high “operating costs” BGS is forced to raise prices on all grading services. This is only temporary as it will only reflect a $1 increase on the next 200,000 cards graded.
PoPCulture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #7
tylermckinzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBuckTwo View Post
Shirley, this is not correct.
100%. Have almost 30 years of history online trading (back to the AOL message boards, through sportscardforum then here, always the same name) and more than enough credit to ruin it with a made up story. I have gone back to edit anything after getting more information today so that everything is accurate.

Last edited by tylermckinzie; 08-10-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #8
tylermckinzie

The only flaw with the story theoretically would be if the person who had rounded up the large submission turned out to be the flaw here, but since he is still communicating with everyone (in person as well) and has shared communication from Beckett, he would have to be pulling a Hollywood-level scheme if he were the one behind it..... plus the fact he would have to be coming up with the money to reimburse everyone, which would be a pretty hefty chunk of change.

Everyone is trying to get some pictures and scans of any cards that have serial numbers- once they are available I will share them on here. Since I was not in the group submission I do not have any as of now, and since my buddy was not in charge of it I may only have the cards that he had stolen- unless others can add to this thread. I now have begun adding cards that are shared with me that had serial numbers.

Last edited by tylermckinzie; 08-10-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #9
notfast

Would be great to have more info rather than texts from a guy who was told by another guy.

Not saying what you’re saying isn’t true but important details always get lost in translation.

I might be willing to believe if a rouge employee walked off with a card or two, but not all 200. Just doesn’t make sense.

My guess is that the box with the cards is sitting somewhere it shouldn’t be. Still a huge issue but that doesn’t mean it won’t be found.

My experiences with Beckett lead me to believe they could be run better by a bunch of monkeys. They fail at every aspect of business IMO
notfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:16 AM   #10
allabtsprt

This won't be the first time that something was either lost or stolen from BGS at the National.
allabtsprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #11
Platman

WOW, that's why I used PSA at The Nat. They had GoPros mounted by all the doorways.
Platman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #12
ksemmel

Yea, more details would definitely be beneficial here
Old 08-10-2018, 11:19 AM   #13
tylermckinzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksemmel View Post
Yea, more details would definitely be beneficial here
They will come..... but to be honest, there isn't much more info at this time. Cards were dropped off, cards disappeared.... my main goal of making a thread was to see how many people could post up some of the missing cards because BO is usually so good about assisting when they find stuff like that. I will start making a list in the original post at the top as cards with serial numbers are noted as part of it.

That is why I entitled the thread "Missing". Stolen would indicate they are 100% in possession of someone else. These could still be simply mislogged among other orders, but they were unable to give these back on the last day of the show when they were supposed to. I want to get some of the serial numbered cards out there so if they happen to pop up soon that we don't miss a chance.

Last edited by tylermckinzie; 08-10-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:28 PM   #14
tylermckinzie

After having a better conversation today, I have edited to be sure I am being accurate with what I say. There is more information that has been discussed but without it coming straight from BGS, I don't want to misrepresent their efforts. As mentioned, they have been attempting to rectify this, and I am trying to keep an eye out for missing cards I have serial numbers for.

There is always the possibility that if someone got this batch by accident, they could always be reading this. Not that it would sway them- but a lot of people are out some nice cards in this case, and it's never too late to do the right thing :-)

Last edited by tylermckinzie; 08-10-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #15
2010GBPackers

My partner and I had a Ohtani and a Keiber Ruiz BC go missing for about a half an hour at BGS. They literally opened every completed box on the table looking for them. They were finally found in a box with a submission number that was completely different than what it should have been. If whoever had that submission number had beaten us to the box, they could have easily gotten away with our cards and no one would have known.

So yes, BGS losing track of cards absolutely happened. And as the OP said, it's not an attempt to bash BGS, they were scrambling to find the cards, but it did happen.
2010GBPackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:30 PM   #16
Big35Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010GBPackers View Post
My partner and I had a Ohtani and a Keiber Ruiz BC go missing for about a half an hour at BGS. They literally opened every completed box on the table looking for them. They were finally found in a box with a submission number that was completely different than what it should have been. If whoever had that submission number had beaten us to the box, they could have easily gotten away with our cards and no one would have known.

So yes, BGS losing track of cards absolutely happened. And as the OP said, it's not an attempt to bash BGS, they were scrambling to find the cards, but it did happen.
If BGS can't properly handle on-site submissions, they absolutely should be bashed. There's no excuse for what happened with your cards, even if it eventually worked out in the end.
Please don't message me offering to buy something I posted in a pickup thread - I will post it in the buy/sell section if I am looking to move it. And unsolicited messages offering to sell something will be deleted.
Big35Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #17
stang_crazy

anymore come out on this situation?
Old 08-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #18
brianleonard

I was in the sub, and can confirm the situation above. We're trying to keep it under wraps until we receive whatever compensation Beckett deems appropriate for us, but it is all true.

The 100 card sub included multiple superfractors and a few other extremely high end pieces, and was likely valued at over 40k in raw value.

Cards were shipped to the submitters BGS rep, who sent them in for RCR. Half were completed on Wednesday, our half were completed on Thursday. The ones that were completed on Thursday disappeared sometime before the BGS rep could pick them up. The half that were completed on Wednesday were returned without issue to the submitter.

Still waiting to hear what Beckett is willing to offer as compensation, but the submitter has communicated all updates as he gets them. The delay now is in Beckett communicating with their insurance company.

Now that this has become public knowledge, some of the "identifiable" cards in the submission (besides the ones mentioned above) are:

If you see any of these please pm me.
brianleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #19
AlabamaSlamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianleonard View Post
I was in the sub, and can confirm the situation above. We're trying to keep it under wraps until we receive whatever compensation Beckett deems appropriate for us, but it is all true.

The 100 card sub included multiple superfractors and a few other extremely high end pieces, and was likely valued at over 40k in raw value.

Cards were shipped to the submitters BGS rep, who sent them in for RCR. Half were completed on Wednesday, our half were completed on Thursday. The ones that were completed on Thursday disappeared sometime before the BGS rep could pick them up. The half that were completed on Wednesday were returned without issue to the submitter.

Still waiting to hear what Beckett is willing to offer as compensation, but the submitter has communicated all updates as he gets them. The delay now is in Beckett communicating with their insurance company.

Now that this has become public knowledge, some of the "identifiable" cards in the submission (besides the ones mentioned above) are:

Wow. We'll definitely keep an eye out. Do you by chance have pics you can post?

https://610sportscards.smugmug.com/The-Collection
IG: @610sportscards
AlabamaSlamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #20
brianleonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaSlamma View Post
Wow. We'll definitely keep an eye out. Do you by chance have pics you can post?
Unfortunnately not. None of the cards I listed above were mine. I was lucky to only have $1200-$1300 worth of low-ish end Bowman chrome autos submitted, that won't be identifiable except by serial number (Vientos Purple, Vientos Blue 70th, Jeren Kendall Orange Shimmer, etc.).
Old 08-14-2018, 01:32 PM   #21
Earlsnake07

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianleonard View Post

Damn............will definitely keep an eye out
NEEDS = '12 CHROME CHIEFS: #94 DONTARI POE RED AUTO /5 ANY '12 CHROME CHIEFS PRINTING PLATES---------->'14 CHROME ALEX SMITH YELLOW AND BLACK PRINTING PLATES & ANY CHIEFS CHROME SUPERS
SCA - https://sportscardalbum.com/u/earlsnake07
Earlsnake07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #22
SleeperCards

This absolutely sucks for everyone, but being the guy that subbed all those Mahomes just for them to disappear would be unbelievably brutal.
SleeperCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:54 PM   #23
brianleonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperCards View Post
This absolutely sucks for everyone, but being the guy that subbed all those Mahomes just for them to disappear would be unbelievably brutal.
Absolutely. He was lucky that most of his stuff was in the first half, as he also had all of these that he did get back:
Keibert Orange Ref AU x2
Adell Orange Ref AU
Greene Orange Ref AU
Gore Orange Ref AU
Gore Gold Ref AU x2
Sixto Red AU
Royce Red AU
Hicks Super AU
Sixto Black Atomic AU
Royce Orange AU
Hunter Greene Super AU
Rhys Red Ref AU
Keston Orange AU
Sean Murphy Super AU
Pardinho Super AU
Keibert Super AU
(among tons of other golds blues etc of these guys)
Old 08-14-2018, 04:02 PM   #24
stang_crazy

So does BGS know if the other half disappeared before or after being graded
Old 08-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #25
brianleonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_crazy View Post
So does BGS know if the other half disappeared before or after being graded
I don't think they're willing to tell us that.

That may be because they don't know for sure, or because if they tell us what our grades were, then they'd have to value the cards at those grades. But either way, we don't know if they were actually RCR'ed or not.