Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Mad

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > GRADING

Notices

GRADING For all grading talk - PSA, BGS, SGC, etc

Old 11-18-2018, 09:56 PM   #1
miscus555

Default Fell into a large Graded collection- Questions about companies and grading

hey guys,

I fell into a large basketball/baseball card collection recently. Some stuff was graded, some not. lots of quantities though (150 1985 Mcgwires! lol)

Anyway for the graded stuff. I know PSA and beckett but there was another named SGC and i think PGC (big ugly blue header on the casing)

my questions are:

-does SGC and PGC still exist and is it better to regrade a Michael Jordan or Peyton Manning rookie for example with one of the more current companies?

-For some of the ungraded cards, who should i use for grading? I'm thinking beckett or PSA. whos better and what are the costs for say 200 modern (1980-mid 2000's ) cards. is there any deals for getting alot graded?

-what's the raw card value cut off to determine if it's worth grading that card?

i pretty much know about graded cards but never got a card graded in my life. Some of these cards i'd like to sell off but some i'd like to keep for the future.

thanks in advance
miscus555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:52 PM   #2
Branesergen

SGC is the #3 grading company and not bad to own. Anything decent with them is worth leaving for the most part. The other brand, not so much. PSA would probably be your best bet at $8 per, 100 card minimum, for 65 day turnaround. After that you'll have to look up the prices on PSA or BGSs site and determine if it's worth it.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:22 PM   #3
cafenjl

Basic rules for the three major grading companies (although some may disagree):

BGS (Beckett) brings back the best value for modern cards.

PSA has an unmatched registry lots of collectors love, and they bring value through all generations of cards.

SGC specializes in cards pre-WWII. although, they're in the middle of a re-invention to try to capture more of the modern market share (pre-WWII cards are a finite thing, after all).

Personally, SGC is my go-to for average cards. They're cheaper (especially with a Gold Club membership), I prefer the look of their cases, and their customer service is easily the best. But, you absolutely will not see as big a return on investment as you will with BGS or PSA. Anything of significant value, I send to them. If you're just looking to grade and sell, those are your two best bets.
cafenjl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:13 AM   #4
mjohnatgt

My rule of thumb is to not grade anything for resale that will not recoup my grading costs 3x. So cards I submit with PSA at $8 per need to increase by $24 graded to make it worth it to me. Others I sell raw.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #5
GreatAlbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafenjl View Post
Basic rules for the three major grading companies (although some may disagree):

BGS (Beckett) brings back the best value for modern cards.

PSA has an unmatched registry lots of collectors love, and they bring value through all generations of cards.

SGC specializes in cards pre-WWII. although, they're in the middle of a re-invention to try to capture more of the modern market share (pre-WWII cards are a finite thing, after all).

Personally, SGC is my go-to for average cards. They're cheaper (especially with a Gold Club membership), I prefer the look of their cases, and their customer service is easily the best. But, you absolutely will not see as big a return on investment as you will with BGS or PSA. Anything of significant value, I send to them. If you're just looking to grade and sell, those are your two best bets.
Stopped reading after BGS is go to for modern cards.

PSA 10 outsells a BGS 9.5 every day of the week.

Looks like your other comments are valid. Although I wouldnít send anything but pre-War to SGC
Old 11-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #6
cafenjl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatAlbert View Post

Looks like your other comments are valid. Although I wouldnít send anything but pre-War to SGC

Youíre right about PSA 10s doing better than BGS 9.5s. But Beckett 10s and black labels blow away PSA 10s. Itís not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2018, 10:21 AM   #7
GreatAlbert

Quote:
Youíre right about PSA 10s doing better than BGS 9.5s. But Beckett 10s and black labels blow away PSA 10s. Itís not even close.

Sure, but how many cards really grade out at 10s or black labels?

Answer: Not many at all. Fairly difficult to get a 10, and nearly impossible to get a black label so I find those pretty irrelevant.

PSA 10 vs. BGS 9.5 is the true comparison here.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #8
cafenjl

Quote:
Sure, but how many cards really grade out at 10s or black labels?

Answer: Not many at all. Fairly difficult to get a 10, and nearly impossible to get a black label so I find those pretty irrelevant.

PSA 10 vs. BGS 9.5 is the true comparison here.

Some valid points. The BGS 10s ARE hard to come by. But thatís why they have a higher value. BGS is stricter about handing them out. My view: if I have something I think has a reasonable chance of getting a Beckett 10, I send it to them. A little less than half the time, I get the 10.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #9
GreatAlbert

Quote:
Some valid points. The BGS 10s ARE hard to come by. But thatís why they have a higher value. BGS is stricter about handing them out. My view: if I have something I think has a reasonable chance of getting a Beckett 10, I send it to them. A little less than half the time, I get the 10.

Legend! Pics???
Old 11-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #10
cafenjl

Quote:
Legend! Pics???

Dude. Stop being a dick. Iím happy to post some photos. But you donít need to be so condescending.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #11
Onepocketj

I assume you guys are talking about modern ie. chrome cards. If he is sending in cards from the 80's, I highly doubt BGS 10's are much of an option.
Onepocketj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:49 PM   #12
cafenjl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onepocketj View Post
I assume you guys are talking about modern ie. chrome cards. If he is sending in cards from the 80's, I highly doubt BGS 10's are much of an option.
Excellent point. We strayed off topic a bit.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:58 PM   #13
mjohnatgt

For the vast majority of these cards, send them to COMC instead of PSA or a different grading company. Save yourself a bunch of time and money.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #14
miscus555

thanks for all the responses guys. appreciate it

what is COMC?
Old 11-20-2018, 04:51 PM   #15
Branesergen

Quote:

Are you talking straight dollars or volume? Do you want 1 sale a week for $100 or 2 for $80. If you want 1 then PSA definitely outsells BGS, but if you want 2 then BGS outsells PSA all day long.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #16
miscus555

i'll try to post some pics of examples of certain cards i got so i can see my options.

i think BGS and PSA are both in philly next weekend so maybe i can make some submissions without shipping anything.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:37 PM   #17
mjohnatgt

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1211826
Old 11-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #18
heatdawg

I will never understand this BGS is for modern.

I hear it, I see it, the facts just do not back up the statement.

PSA is King.
heatdawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:56 AM   #19
Archangel1775

PSA has recently(Last 5 years) gained market share on modern chrome autographs. So yes, normally BGS is "modern" as their case and auto grade is ideal for those types of cards. Simply, every time I see a PSA 10 chrome auto, I immediately believe the auto has something wrong with it. Remember, they only grade the card condition. As for PSA 10's in general, they rock due to the registry.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #20
MFaulkCollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branesergen View Post
Are you talking straight dollars or volume? Do you want 1 sale a week for $100 or 2 for $80. If you want 1 then PSA definitely outsells BGS, but if you want 2 then BGS outsells PSA all day long.
this is one of the most unknown facts among collectors......... the psa cards are definitely worth more across the board; but it's harder to get that top dollar out of people's wallets. BGS is easier to sell at it's market value than is PSA
MFaulkCollector is offline   Reply With Quote