April Showers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 08-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
smoothfidelity
Banned

Default 2004-05 Flight Team Rainbows

Looks like collectors are finally starting to acknowledge the rarity and sweetness of these cards.

2004-05 Michael Jordan Upper Deck Flight Team ONYX SERIAL #'ed /23 BGS 9.5 RARE | eBay

2004-05 Michael Jordan Upper Deck Flight Team Red Rainbow BGS.. 1 in 1,000 PACKS | eBay
smoothfidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
bigcwd2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothfidelity View Post
Um, wow, those are awesome! I wouldn't pay that much for them but they do look nice.
bigcwd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
murrke03
Banned

to my knowledge both an onyx and a rainbow fell about 1 per case. (edit: i guess maybe retail was different? i never heard of the whole red retail rainbow thing? so theres a hobby rainbow and a red retail rainbox? hmmm)

these cards are really awesome and make 04-05 upper deck awesome to break. I got lucky to pull dirk onyx.

It also seems that now case prices have skyrocketed on these. About two months ago you could get a case for about $300 (making it a great deal) now they are about $450+ (making it a little more of a risk to break).
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
smoothfidelity
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
to my knowledge both an onyx and a rainbow fell about 1 per case. (edit: i guess maybe retail was different? i never heard of the whole red retail rainbow thing? so theres a hobby rainbow and a red retail rainbox? hmmm)

these cards are really awesome and make 04-05 upper deck awesome to break. I got lucky to pull dirk onyx.

It also seems that now case prices have skyrocketed on these. About two months ago you could get a case for about $300 (making it a great deal) now they are about $450+ (making it a little more of a risk to break).

They were 1:1000 packs....so essentially 1 every 4 cases. There were 50 players in the set.

I cracked 2 cases a few months ago and didn't pull one rainbow flight team or onyx.

Immaculates were one per case.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
murrke03
Banned

Quote:
They were 1:1000 packs....so essentially 1 every 4 cases. There were 50 players in the set.

I cracked 2 cases a few months ago and didn't pull one rainbow flight team or onyx.
retail or hobby?

if you cracked 2 cases of hobby and didn't pull one rainbow or onyx you got screwed...
Old 08-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
smoothfidelity
Banned

Quote:
retail or hobby?

if you cracked 2 cases of hobby and didn't pull one rainbow or onyx you got screwed...
Hobby...I got screwed? Really? Even though it states 1:1000 packs right on the back of the pack.

You are lost as usual.

There are 288 packs in a case.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
murrke03
Banned

Quote:
Hobby...I got screwed? Really? Even though it states 1:1000 packs right on the back of the pack.

You are lost as usual.

There are 288 packs in a case.
haha stop trying to start a fight.

Did you pull Rookie Review rainbow?

And since when are odds what actually occurs? More times then not upon breaking a box of cards a person will 'beat' the odds.
Like I said most case breaks I've seen or done of this product had 1 onyx (flight team or rookie review) and 1 rainbow (flight team or rookie review)
Old 08-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
murrke03
Banned

And my question still stands is their a difference between hobby rainbow and this suppose 'red retail rainbow'...
Old 08-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
smoothfidelity
Banned

Quote:
haha stop trying to start a fight.

Did you pull Rookie Review rainbow?

And since when are odds what actually occurs? More times then not upon breaking a box of cards a person will 'beat' the odds.
Like I said most case breaks I've seen or done of this product had 1 onyx (flight team or rookie review) and 1 rainbow (flight team or rookie review)
Start a fight? You are the one that came in here sidetracking this thread with your nonsense that isn't even correct.

I pulled other rainbows, yes, but they don't have the same odds. Rookie review rainbows are one per case (1:288), while flight team rainbows are 1 per 4 cases (1:1000).

To answer your second post, there isn't a hobby rainbow and then a red retail rainbow. The rainbow flight team cards are red in general, while the normal cards are blue.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
murrke03
Banned

Quote:
Start a fight? You are the one that came in here sidetracking this thread with your nonsense that isn't even correct.

I pulled other rainbows, yes, but they don't have the same odds. Rookie review rainbows are one per case (1:288), while flight team rainbows are 1 per 4 cases (1:1000).

To answer your second post, there isn't a hobby rainbow and then a red retail rainbow. The rainbow flight team cards are red in general, while the normal cards are blue.
yes you were trying to start a fight. "You are lost as usual". Who's side tracking what?

Like I said, in my experience and to my knowledge of the set (that does not mean it is 10000% fact - sorry you could comprehend that statement), a person pulls 1 onyx per case.

The fact that you only pulled a couple (2 I am assuming) rookie review rainbows and no onyx (flight team or rookie review) and no rainbow flight team in two cases means that you had a very tough break in terms of what a person normally gets in a case break. If that happened to me I would say I got screwed on my box break. Hence why I said 'you got screwed'...

Last edited by murrke03; 08-28-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
murrke03
Banned

In terms of red rainbows:

So the card you posted (the jordan) the description is wrong cause he says its retail only.

Also I am assuming this card is just photographed to not show red background.
2004-05 UD DIRK NOWITZKI FLIGHT TEAM RAINBOW BGS 9.5 | eBay
Old 08-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #12
smoothfidelity
Banned

Quote:
In terms of red rainbows:

So the card you posted (the jordan) the description is wrong cause he says its retail only.

Also I am assuming this card is just photographed to not show red background.
2004-05 UD DIRK NOWITZKI FLIGHT TEAM RAINBOW BGS 9.5 | eBay
Every single one of your comments in this thread goes against stated odds and facts. You are making assumptions, and stating the stated odds are incorrect just because you got lucky to pull an onyx card. You got lucky...I didn't get screwed. I knew I had a 50% chance to pull a rainbow flight team out of two cases and it didn't happen. I was fine with that.

The facts speak for themselves. If you are too lazy to look at the stated odds then live in the fog.

Some rainbows have more of a red hue than others depending on the background graphics. These cards are not even call "red rainbows". Collectors just started calling them that because most of them have a deep red hue.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
murrke03
Banned

Quote:
Every single one of your comments in this thread goes against stated odds and facts. You are making assumptions, and stating the stated odds are incorrect just because you got lucky to pull an onyx card. You got lucky...I didn't get screwed. I knew I had a 50% chance to pull a rainbow flight team out of two cases and it didn't happen. I was fine with that.

The facts speak for themselves. If you are too lazy to look at the stated odds then live in the fog.

Some rainbows have more of a red hue than others depending on the background graphics. These cards are not even call "red rainbows". Collectors just started calling them that because most of them have a deep red hue.
What facts?

Are you 100% positive the odds on the back of the pack are 100% true? The answer is No.

The results of multiple case/box breaks and experiences by collectors pulling the cards is more reliable and greater 'proof' then the odds stated by the manufacturer....

and by the way - the description in the auction you posted is wrong. like i said but you have to ignore that cause i'm actually right.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #14
smoothfidelity
Banned

Quote:
What facts?

Are you 100% positive the odds on the back of the pack are 100% true? The answer is No.

The results of multiple case/box breaks and experiences by collectors pulling the cards is more reliable and greater 'proof' then the odds stated by the manufacturer....

and by the way - the description in the auction you posted is wrong. like i said but you have to ignore that cause i'm actually right.
No, you are actually an idiot. You are stating "I am right", and the manufacturer is wrong. You clearly have an issue with ego.

You have been proven wrong 2 different times in this thread, and each time you change the subject to something else and manipulate your previous comments instead of just admitting you are wrong.

First, flight team rainbow cards were one per case - proven wrong.

Then, rainbows in general were one per case - proven wrong (only rookie reviews are)

Then, Upper Deck is lying on the back of their packs.

Idiot.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #15
murrke03
Banned

Quote:
No, you are actually an idiot. You are stating "I am right", and the manufacturer is wrong. You clearly have an issue with ego.

You have been proven wrong 2 different times in this thread, and each time you change the subject to something else and manipulate your previous comments instead of just admitting you are wrong.

First, flight team rainbow cards were one per case - proven wrong.

Then, rainbows in general were one per case - proven wrong (only rookie reviews are)

Then, Upper Deck is lying on the back of their packs.

Idiot.
Where did I say "I was right the manufacturer is wrong?"

I never said flight team rainbows were one per case. I said rainbows in general.

I'm sorry you can't comprehend the english language. When I said "to my knowledge" and "in my experience" with past breaks by me and others that does not mean it is 100% correct. I NEVER said that so once again stop making crap up. It's not my fault you can't read.

Once again you ignore my question,

Are you 100% positive the odds on the back of the pack are 100% true?

I can tell you why you ignored it. Because guess what. You can't. Upper Deck can't. No one can neither prove it nor deny. But you know what. We can go off of the experiences of collectors. And IN MY EXPERIENCE and TO MY KNOWLEDGE of the case breaks I've seen a person normally pulls one rainbow and one onyx.

Can you comprehend that?

And yes thanks for agreeing the the description is wrong. wow....
Old 08-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
oshmeehan

Quote:
What facts?

You are taking the results of multiple case breaks that YOU know of the product as the norm. What you busted and others you know have busted makes up probably 1/1000th of a percent of the total breaks of the product. For every case that has a Flight Team Rainbow there are 3-4 other cases that dont. You really are acting like an idiot by arguing with someone just cause you dont agree with them on another topic. If he told you Derrick Rose is on the Bulls you would find some way to argue with him that he isnt.

BTW regarding the Gaines Finest X-Fractor...I sold it probably 5 years ago and do not remember to whom. I might be able to dig up a scan of it in one of my older photobuckets if youre interested
Old 08-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #17
murrke03
Banned

oh and by the way Onyx cards don't have odds. So the only thing we can go off of is how they 'tend' to fall per case.

So unless you know how many cases or boxes UD produced the general consensus would be that they fell 1 per case. Thus when you opened two cases and pulled no onyxs you didn't do very well...
Old 08-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #18
murrke03
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshmeehan View Post
You are taking the results of multiple case breaks that YOU know of the product as the norm. What you busted and others you know have busted makes up probably 1/1000th of a percent of the total breaks of the product. For every case that has a Flight Team Rainbow there are 3-4 other cases that dont. You really are acting like an idiot by arguing with someone just cause you dont agree with them on another topic. If he told you Derrick Rose is on the Bulls you would find some way to argue with him that he isnt.

BTW regarding the Gaines Finest X-Fractor...I sold it probably 5 years ago and do not remember to whom. I might be able to dig up a scan of it in one of my older photobuckets if youre interested
thats all great and guess what i stated that it was from my experience and those i had seen. yet he is the one that started a fight and claimed i was an idiot for saying i know everything when i didn't.

as for the gaines if you could find a scan that would be great. just send it in pm or if you dont have time to go though photobucket just send me their links ( i dont know if you are private or not but if that would make it easier i could go thought them)
Old 08-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #19
murrke03
Banned

no odds on the Onyx's?

So wait how do we understand how often they fall if the all mighty UD didn't give us 100% odds?

I guess we could look at the results of various people breaking cases...
Old 08-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #20
phdbeckett

They are tough, But I've found 2 Kobes for $1.00 or less in the past year (one at the national in a quarter box). I also picked up a Pippen and Garnett for $1.00 each.

How? Because Beckett never made reference to a price on these in the past, and only in the annual was there any mention of the 1:1000 pack odds.

I'm glad to see they are finally getting the love they deserve!
phdbeckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #21
smoothfidelity
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdbeckett View Post
They are tough, But I've found 2 Kobes for $1.00 or less in the past year (one at the national in a quarter box). I also picked up a Pippen and Garnett for $1.00 each.

How? Because Beckett never made reference to a price on these in the past, and only in the annual was there any mention of the 1:1000 pack odds.

I'm glad to see they are finally getting the love they deserve!
Post a picture of the Kobe's (plural) or it didn't happen!
Old 08-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #22
murrke03
Banned

Quote:
Like your collection!

sorry you set that up way to well...
Old 08-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #23
phdbeckett

Quote:
I'll see what I can find. I used to have to clean out my photobucket account before I went unlimited. I blaze through inserts though. I rarely keep anything. It is just crazy what you can find if you know your stuff. (and get lucky)
Old 08-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #24
smoothfidelity
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdbeckett View Post
I'll see what I can find. I used to have to clean out my photobucket account before I went unlimited. I blaze through inserts though. I rarely keep anything. It is just crazy what you can find if you know your stuff. (and get lucky)
Oh, I thought you still had them. I would have loved to buy one from you.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #25
phdbeckett

No luck. I must have deleted the picks. I scoured some older emails and folders. I did find a trip down memory lane though

Wish I still had this Pippen (also found in a $1 bin in Detroit)

And I ran across my Durant Jersey #d rookie collection I liquidated

Back to the Rainbows, I had only seen 2 Jordans in 2 years prior to last year. I'm anxious to see what the 9.5 pulls