Blowout Cards Forums
pokemon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 AM   #1
MallcopKJ

Default RGIII and Andrew Luck Exquisite RPA's

Assuming they both have Exquisite Rookie patch autos, what do you think the prices will be for Griffin and Luck when they come out (probably in 2013 sometime right?) and if they continue on the path to stardom what can you see them settling at? I was watching a Cam Newton end yesterday and it got under $800. when they came out they were close to $2k. I'm wondering if these will be good investments based on how expensive they will probably be or did the Newton fall simply because of his performance? I wish we could get these cards in NFL jerseys.

Last edited by MallcopKJ; 12-03-2012 at 03:44 AM.
MallcopKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:40 AM   #2
friarbolt

These won't hold value long-term because of the NCAA uniforms. Which is why the obscene prices they command out of the gate are not worth it at all.
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:46 AM   #3
MallcopKJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by friarbolt View Post
These won't hold value long-term because of the NCAA uniforms. Which is why the obscene prices they command out of the gate are not worth it at all.

So you don't think prices for Newton would still be huge if he was having a monster year?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
friarbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallcopKJ View Post
So you don't think prices for Newton would still be huge if he was having a monster year?
I'm talking long-term like years from now. But even if Newton was doing well yes, it wouldn't be going for as much as it did early on.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
MallcopKJ

Quote:
I'm talking long-term like years from now. But even if Newton was doing well yes, it wouldn't be going for as much as it did early on.
Would you say it's safe to assume then that there will never be another "it" card for football players as long as the license is gone for UD? Each sport has had the "big" product for rookies; basketball-the Lebron Exquisite RPA, Baseball-the Pujols chrome auto, Hockey- the cup. If Luck turns into the next Brady or Manning and RGII becomes an all time great, I'm wondering what the "it" card will be now.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:57 AM   #6
friarbolt

Quote:
Would you say it's safe to assume then that there will never be another "it" card for football players as long as the license is gone for UD? Each sport has had the "big" product for rookies; basketball-the Lebron Exquisite RPA, Baseball-the Pujols chrome auto, Hockey- the cup. If Luck turns into the next Brady or Manning and RGII becomes an all time great, I'm wondering what the "it" card will be now.
National Treasures RPA has taken up the mantle, designs arguments aside NFL licensing wins at the end of the day.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:03 AM   #7
MallcopKJ

Quote:
National Treasures RPA has taken up the mantle, designs arguments aside NFL licensing wins at the end of the day.

Those are defiantly a solid alternative I guess! They will probably come out cheaper than the Exquisites too right?
Old 12-03-2012, 04:17 AM   #8
friarbolt

Quote:
Those are defiantly a solid alternative I guess! They will probably come out cheaper than the Exquisites too right?
It came out cheaper last year I believe.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:55 AM   #9
chrismiller81

Once the next class of RC comes out all will be forgotten with this years draft class.. Happens every year! But Luck could be the exception to this? I think he could go down as the best QB to play the game.. His cards should hold good value if you get the right ones!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
Dobber2330

Andrew Luck won't have any type of UD card.

he still has an exclusive with Press Pass for non NFL stuff and an exclusive with Panini for all of the NFL stuff
Dobber2330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #11
Texans81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber2330 View Post

he still has an exclusive with Press Pass for non NFL stuff and an exclusive with Panini for all of the NFL stuff
I guess maybe someone better explain to me what an "exclusive" means then. To me if he's got an exclusive with Panini, that means only Panini produces cards of him (or at the very least only Panini makes autographed cards of him) yet the fact that he's got autos in Topps Chrome would seem to refute that...what am I missing?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
Headbando5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber2330 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans81 View Post
I guess maybe someone better explain to me what an "exclusive" means then. To me if he's got an exclusive with Panini, that means only Panini produces cards of him (or at the very least only Panini makes autographed cards of him) yet the fact that he's got autos in Topps Chrome would seem to refute that...what am I missing?
From what I've heard, I believe that Andrew Luck has a Leaf contract on all college cards, yes. As for NFL cards, both Upper Deck and Panini can make them (with or without autographs). But for memorabilia, such as mini helmets and jerseys, Andrew Luck is Panini exclusive.
Headbando5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #13
DannyShakes

Luck won't have a card in exquisite, so if you get an rg3 it's going to cost more in my opinion since he will be the one everyone will be going for!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #14
MallcopKJ

Sounds like the National Treasures Luck will be that much more desirable then, their Panini now right?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #15
ssbledsoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headbando5 View Post
From what I've heard, I believe that Andrew Luck has a Leaf contract on all college cards, yes. As for NFL cards, both Upper Deck and Panini can make them (with or without autographs). But for memorabilia, such as mini helmets and jerseys, Andrew Luck is Panini exclusive.
Luck has an exclusive with Press Pass for non-NFL until next June or July. Press Pass does not have a college license and neither does Leaf. Upper Deck is the only college license currently. I'm sure UD will make a Luck Exquisite Auto Patch, it'll be like all of UD's "Luck" cards that they've released as "exchange" cards for a "1st round rookie quarterback".
Old 12-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #16
EricMetcalf21

Exquisite is scary, I bought a few Demarcos at around 200, looked a month later they were selling for 100. Thats last time I buy exquisite out the gate, lesson learned. Sometimes you got to pay a price to learn.
EricMetcalf21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #17
SteelersRock245

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbledsoe View Post
Luck has an exclusive with Press Pass for non-NFL until next June or July. Press Pass does not have a college license and neither does Leaf. Upper Deck is the only college license currently. I'm sure UD will make a Luck Exquisite Auto Patch, it'll be like all of UD's "Luck" cards that they've released as "exchange" cards for a "1st round rookie quarterback".
They'll be fine if they drop it as late as they did this year. When was it August?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #18
aclben

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMetcalf21 View Post
Exquisite is scary, I bought a few Demarcos at around 200, looked a month later they were selling for 100. Thats last time I buy exquisite out the gate, lesson learned. Sometimes you got to pay a price to learn.
Most cards drop after release though so I don't know that the Exquisite college licensing has too much to do with it. Keep in mind that Newton and Murray have also had much more mediocre Sophomore seasons so the hype around them has died down tremendously. I think if Newton had taken a step forward instead of backwards, the cards would still be hot...

However, I agree NT RPA's will be the cards to get anyway... Perhaps Topps Five Star will enter this race too if the cards have a nicer design than last year...
aclben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #19
EricMetcalf21

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclben View Post
Most cards drop after release though so I don't know that the Exquisite college licensing has too much to do with it. Keep in mind that Newton and Murray have also had much more mediocre Sophomore seasons so the hype around them has died down tremendously. I think if Newton had taken a step forward instead of backwards, the cards would still be hot...

However, I agree NT RPA's will be the cards to get anyway... Perhaps Topps Five Star will enter this race too if the cards have a nicer design than last year...
Very true, Demarco is the man though, all he does to lose value is keep getting injured. If he could stay healthy (fingers crossed) look out.
EricMetcalf21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #20
MallcopKJ

Im with you on Murray. He is a stud when healthy. Probably a good time to buy still.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #21
MallcopKJ

Any release dates on any of these products so far? National Treasures, Exquisite or Sp Authentic?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #22
HBMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbledsoe View Post
End of May. These cards will probably be manufactured and signed in early 2013. All of the hand wringing about Luck is embarrassing.

Luck and RGIII exquisite RPA's will both be big money, both colleges they played for produce lots of people with great degrees and if they're any kind of fan, they'll pay big for that card.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #23
The Madbacker
Banned

Here's what I don't understand....why don't people realize that NCAA Upper Deck products will NEVER hold long term value?

Look at Exquisite Basketball. $900 per pack, you hit a Jordan Auto and you're still DOWN $300 on the pack.

Look at last year's Exquisite Football. $450 per pack? Once people realized that ALL of the rookie cards had "fake" patches, the cards plummeted. I mean, how many Tostitos Bowl patches did Cam have on his jersey? 9, 10?

People don't want Stanford Luck cards or Baylor Griffin cards. They want Colts and Redskins cards.

UD w/ a license = pay a mortgage payment.

UD w/o a license = explain to the wife why you tossed $300 into a shredder.
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #24
gottagitdemjs

No Luck = no go for me.
The Chiefs win a Super Bowl.......FINALLY!!!...3X!!! BACK TO BACK!!!
gottagitdemjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #25
HBMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagitdemjs View Post
No Luck = no go for me.
He is going to be in Exquisite