Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 12-05-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
WhoDatBini2

Default Best Writing Utensil To Use for Cover Signing

I am going to Ace Comic Con this weekend I am considering bringing my own pens/markers to have books signed. Below I listed the two main books I am looking to get signed, would love some advice on what is best to use.

Book: Wonder Woman 31 NYCC Convention Exclusive Variant

Thoughts: I was thinking maybe gold or silver ink for this signature but not sure how it would look with the foil cover.

Book: Punisher Jon Bernthal Cover or Punisher #1 Mettina Variant

Thoughts: Was thinking of going with gold ink for this. I have seen others done in gold on a black cover and it looks really good imo.

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions! Also, any suggestions on where I would be able to get the suggested pens would be great.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #2
John91C

I would use a silver paint pen on the Punisher covers. The "metallic" silver will make it pop on the darker cover. Make sure the paint pen dries before bagging, etc.

For the WW I would use either a red paint pen or silver paint pen. Signature placement is harder on this one since the "sun" reflection affects placement.

Good luck! I always use Deco Paint Pens.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #3
rice71

Quote:
Originally Posted by John91C View Post
I would use a silver paint pen on the Punisher covers. The "metallic" silver will make it pop on the darker cover. Make sure the paint pen dries before bagging, etc.

For the WW I would use either a red paint pen or silver paint pen. Signature placement is harder on this one since the "sun" reflection affects placement.

Good luck! I always use Deco Paint Pens.
What would be good on the sdcc WW foil cover and for it going to be cgc graded.
rice71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
John91C

Paint pens work great on Foil covers...as do the Staedtler Permanent markers. I used the Staedtler marker on a WW foil for Jim Lee and for a TWD #100 for Steven Yuen to sign, both came out great.

It will be hard finding the Staedtler marker right now unless you have an art supply store like Dick Blick.

It's the only marker I use for all signings for comic covers and foil unless I think a paint pen would look better.

Getting a Red Marker (Staedtler) on the Cloud area on the left-hand side would make it pop really well. She has a smaller signature and signs it in Hebrew so it should look good.

Honestly, go with whatever you "feel" would look good. It's for you and only you so what I would do is put the comic in a bag/board and sign the bag in multiple spots with different markers/paint pens to see where it would look good. Bags are cheap and it's a good way to see what sig placement would look like.

Last edited by John91C; 12-05-2017 at 01:53 PM.
John91C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:42 PM   #5
Spider-Fan

If you're not familiar with paint pens, just know...

1. They take much much longer to dry than a typical sharpie type of marker.

2. If the item is mis-handled after the paint dries, it can easily chip or peel off. Not a concern if you are having it stabbed, but if you don't it could become an issue.

A regular Sharpe is more than sufficient for that Punished cover. Not sure about the foil.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #6
John91C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post

A regular Sharpe is more than sufficient for that Punished cover. Not sure about the foil.
Silver sharpies can be very dull or streaky. I do not like using them. I'd rather use a silver metallic paint pen.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #7
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John91C View Post
Silver sharpies can be very dull or streaky. I do not like using them. I'd rather use a silver metallic paint pen.
And if the paint pen isn't primed right, or the signed isn't used to them, you could be much worse off.

I'm not saying not to use paint pens. Im just saying to know about the negatives as well as the positives. If they were perfect, its all anybody would use.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:44 AM   #8
Stat Monsters

If you are doing this for preservation of an autograph to then keep as an investment and archive, I'd actually recommend a ball point pen and do it on an inside page, not on the cover. Then the signature won't fade or bleed. It's substantiated by CGC and placed in their holder which isn't supposed to be archival quality safe for long term in any case.

So, if you use a paint pen or metallic marker, fair warning, when glossy covers are signed, the ink on them often is easy to chip, peel and lift off. Especially with CGC slabbing where they have the plastic case pressed against the book which is against an inner plastic sleeve.

What you might end up finding is, if anyone ever cracks the case to either take the book out, or even to re-slab it (since I heard CGC has disclaimers saying it's not for permanent archival and they actually recommend re-casing them periodically), then the autograph might stick to the outer plastic sleeve and lift in part or whole, off of the glossy cover. It's happened to trading cards in acrylic holders I know as a fact.

But if you're looking for aesthetics for display, I guess you have to go with the cover signature. Personally, I like autographs on the back cover often, so the beauty of the front cover isn't marred by a blotchy marker signature.

If you're looking to resell it in the short term (meaning within 10 years or so) then get it on the cover and let whatever bad things happens to the autograph become the next owner's problem.

Generally, most people use sharpie markers, but depending on the person autographing and the cover itself where there may be too many dark spots by design, the signature often doesn't aesthetically pop and gets absorbed visually into the blacks and dark areas. Stan Lee is notorious for signing in the most inappropriate and worst choice locations on books and his signature with a marker, varies in quality from gracefully legible to a scribbled smear.

You might at times try to direct where you want the autograph on the book when you get it signed so there's no assumptions by the signer and it's done the way you want, especially if you're paying good money for the book, autograph and CGC fees, you should get what you want.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #9
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat Monsters View Post

You might at times try to direct where you want the autograph on the book when you get it signed so there's no assumptions by the signer and it's done the way you want, especially if you're paying good money for the book, autograph and CGC fees, you should get what you want.
I would ABSOLUTELY recommend windowing your book, regardless of whether you are going to have it slabbed. Just don't make a tiny window. Its easy to find examples of how these signers sign, and I would make the window larger than necessary as they will naturally sign away from the edges.

The window expedites things and reduces the chances of you damaging your book because you don't have to take it out of the bag and return it to the bag. It also allows ample time for you to let the ink dry without worry that you are going to damage the book walking around with it outside of the bag/board.

Typically I would window the bag and then after putting the book in, I will slide in a few extra boards so it has a nice strong backing and snug fit in the bag. Another trick I've seen is placing an extra board on the outside of the bag and taping it at the top, so it protects the open front but can be flipped over to expose the front in an instant.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #10
WhoDatBini2

Awesome, lots of great advice here. Thanks everyone!

I was looking at paint pens in the store yesterday and I am not sure I trust myself to be able to operate it correctly, especially in a somewhat hectic signing situation. I will probably end up trying to use a couple gold and silver sharpies. I am going to be prepping my books tonight, i have a couple of those Ultra Pro signature series comic bags I was thinking of using but the window is rather large. I am not so picky about the placement on the Punisher cover but the WW placement may be crucial. I will probably sign a few bags and lay them over top to see how the signature looks in certain spots then prep a bag accordingly.

Now I just have to hope I can nab a CGC witness for my signings Saturday. (Thanks for the heads up on the CGC screenings Spider-Fan!)
Old 12-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #11
Spider-Fan

If you buy new metallic sharpies, just make sure you scribble a little bit on some paper first. Sometimes they can be a little to wet or dry the first time you use them.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:43 AM   #12
WhoDatBini2

Last night I grabbed a couple different color sharpies as well as a worn out copy of Batman Metal foil. I tested signing with different colors in different areas and I have to say that none of them really looked that good, they were all way too dull. It seems that the material is too slick for enough of the marker to adhere to the surface. Looks like I will be going to the store to grab a couple paint pens this afternoon after work.