Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-19-2018, 11:03 PM   #451
clarkzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood42 View Post
Should be Berrios, barring Arrieta signing
I really hope it's Berrios then. I'm just not sold on Arrieta. He had a good 2014, fantastic 2015, and a decent 2016. 2017 wasn't terrible, but it didn't scream out at me by any means. I think 2015 will be an extreme outlier for his career. And 2017 will be the norm for the next 2-3 years
Old 02-19-2018, 11:08 PM   #452
Hollywood42

I'm with you. The only way i'm on board with signing him is if it's a 3 year deal tops. Anything more than that and I think we'll regret it

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkzac View Post
I really hope it's Berrios then. I'm just not sold on Arrieta. He had a good 2014, fantastic 2015, and a decent 2016. 2017 wasn't terrible, but it didn't scream out at me by any means. I think 2015 will be an extreme outlier for his career. And 2017 will be the norm for the next 2-3 years
Hollywood42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #453
dashcol

Quote:
I'm with you. The only way i'm on board with signing him is if it's a 3 year deal tops. Anything more than that and I think we'll regret it
I think a three year deal would be good. We could be looking at trying to make a run for it this year or next and if we do who would you rather have on the mound, Gibson or Arrietta? That is ultimately what you should be asking yourself. Here is how I see it:

1) Santana (in ten weeks)
2) Odorizzi
3) Berrios
4) Gonsalves/May
5) Gibson....or you could have Arrietta.

Put Arrietta at 4, the Gonsalves/May/Hughes at 5. That would be a very respectable rotation!

With one more pick up, we could go from a mid end rotation to a rotation where Arrietta is number 4! To me that means we can make a run for it. Add into that a bullpen of:

Duffey, Gibson, Hughes, May, Reed, Romero ...

Reed is scarey on the mound, good for 70+ Ks, around a 1 WHIP great out getter and inning eater.

Hughes when healthy is scarey, good for 150+ Ks, around a 1.5 WHIP and an even better inning eater than Reed.

We will see what comes out of spring training but I think Hildenberger is our closer this year. Still young and inexperienced, but he could be great. Maybe not Kintzler, but still dominate on the mound. His changeup is what I think is his best, but he also has a >25% SO rate, >60% ground ball rate. I think the kid could be the real deal.

Imagine a day where the pitchers you need to face for your four ABs against the Twins are Arrietta followed by Hughes, then Reed, then your last chance is Hildenberger. That is a dominate lineup right there.

All of that to say I think Arrietta would be a good pick up if we can get him for three years at <20 Mil a year.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #454
clarkzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashcol View Post
I think a three year deal would be good. We could be looking at trying to make a run for it this year or next and if we do who would you rather have on the mound, Gibson or Arrietta? That is ultimately what you should be asking yourself. Here is how I see it:

2) Odorizzi
3) Berrios
4) Gonsalves/May

Put Arrietta at 4, the Gonsalves/May/Hughes at 5. That would be a very respectable rotation!

With one more pick up, we could go from a mid end rotation to a rotation where Arrietta is number 4! To me that means we can make a run for it. Add into that a bullpen of:

Reed is scarey on the mound, good for 70+ Ks, around a 1 WHIP great out getter and inning eater.

Hughes when healthy is scarey, good for 150+ Ks, around a 1.5 WHIP and an even better inning eater than Reed.

We will see what comes out of spring training but I think Hildenberger is our closer this year. Still young and inexperienced, but he could be great. Maybe not Kintzler, but still dominate on the mound. His changeup is what I think is his best, but he also has a >25% SO rate, >60% ground ball rate. I think the kid could be the real deal.

Imagine a day where the pitchers you need to face for your four ABs against the Twins are Arrietta followed by Hughes, then Reed, then your last chance is Hildenberger. That is a dominate lineup right there.

All of that to say I think Arrietta would be a good pick up if we can get him for three years at <20 Mil a year.
Rodney is the closer to start the year. The Twins pretty much guaranteed that to Rodney to get him to sign. If I remember right, he wasn't thrilled when the team signed Reed until they came out and said that he would still be the closer to start they year.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:06 PM   #455
dashcol

Quote:
Rodney is the closer to start the year. The Twins pretty much guaranteed that to Rodney to get him to sign. If I remember right, he wasn't thrilled when the team signed Reed until they came out and said that he would still be the closer to start they year.
I donít remember reading that, but that actually makes me sad. Rodney has more experience as a closer, but in all honesty heís average as a closer. Hildenberger would be a much better choice IMO, but if we promised it to Rodney then we have to honor that.

At least that adds Hildenberger into the bullpen which only strengthens our bullpen.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:12 PM   #456
clarkzac

Quote:
I donít remember reading that, but that actually makes me sad. Rodney has more experience as a closer, but in all honesty heís average as a closer. Hildenberger would be a much better choice IMO, but if we promised it to Rodney then we have to honor that.

At least that adds Hildenberger into the bullpen which only strengthens our bullpen.
I'm assuming that they will have Rodney on a short leash. There's no reason for a closer to be able to accumulate 39 saves in a season, but have an ERA 4.23 like he did last year. And of course, closers are somewhat overrated to begin with. The most effective relievers are ones that can come in at any time of the game and pitch more than one inning if needed. Look at what Archie Bradley did last year with the D-backs, or Andrew Miller with the Indians the last few years
Old 02-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #457
yrocks2001

Quote:

2) Odorizzi
3) Berrios
4) Gonsalves/May

Thereís nearly 0 chance the Twins sign Arieta. Last I heard he rejected the same offer the Cubs made to Darvish and thereís no way the Twins add him to a 5 year deal. Much more likely the Twins add a Cobb or Lynn to a deal similar to JD Martinez deal where itís heavily front loaded with a opt out after the first couple years (although Twins donít typically do opt outs)
yrocks2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #458
Hollywood42

It's definitely Rodney to start, probably Reed after that if need be

Honestly, I don't like Hildy as a closer. I like him much more as a Miller/Bradley type that clarkzac mentioned

Quote:

Quote:
I'm assuming that they will have Rodney on a short leash. There's no reason for a closer to be able to accumulate 39 saves in a season, but have an ERA 4.23 like he did last year. And of course, closers are somewhat overrated to begin with. The most effective relievers are ones that can come in at any time of the game and pitch more than one inning if needed. Look at what Archie Bradley did last year with the D-backs, or Andrew Miller with the Indians the last few years
Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM   #459
Hollywood42

So this is kinda interesting. We've put Chargois on outright waivers to clear a roster slot. Thing is, we haven't announced any new signings or anything. May was put on the DL to allow Odorizzi to be on the roster, and nothing new since then. So I'm a bit curious to see what happens
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM   #460
youseekyoda421

The Gophers vs. Twins exhibition is a great way to kick off Spring Training games. Glad to have baseball back!
youseekyoda421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM   #461
mntwinsfan

This is a very puzzling move as usually there is a near immediate release of who is taking said out-righted player. Wouldn't it be amazing if we woke up tomorrow morning to find out that Lynn or Cobb has been signed? I would think that had that been the case it would be announced immediately, but with how wacky this off-season has been in terms of Free Agents one never knows. Guess we will have to wait and see!

Quote:
So this is kinda interesting. We've put Chargois on outright waivers to clear a roster slot. Thing is, we haven't announced any new signings or anything. May was put on the DL to allow Odorizzi to be on the roster, and nothing new since then. So I'm a bit curious to see what happens
mntwinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM   #462
dashcol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntwinsfan View Post
This is a very puzzling move as usually there is a near immediate release of who is taking said out-righted player. Wouldn't it be amazing if we woke up tomorrow morning to find out that Lynn or Cobb has been signed? I would think that had that been the case it would be announced immediately, but with how wacky this off-season has been in terms of Free Agents one never knows. Guess we will have to wait and see!
Maybe I am a little confused on how it works. I thought if we outrighted a player he went to the minors and wasnít eligible for someone to take unless we traded him. Putting someone on waivers is what gives teams the time to take him before he gets to the minors then we lose him. So who do you think is taking Chargois as an outrighted player? He shouldnít be eligible for anyone to take. Or am I very confused right now?

I am probably confused, all these trade and waiver rules in MLB have always baffled me.