Blowout Cards Forums
Breakers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risquť images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:13 AM   #10126
quackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateyad View Post
Like I said back then and still say now, the measurements didn't help my sales at all and made my return rate skyrocket. You can call it what you want, but I don't even bother to answer questions unless it is on a dress shirt. But I also don't buy women's clothes. To me if I am buying a basic polo, what reason would I need the measurements. Which is why I don't answer any questions if people ask about them. Like crisscross I found I would answer a question and it never resulted in a sale anyway. I usually add them straight to the block buyers list and move on. You can call it stupid or whatever but I find those are the people that result in the most problems. I don't fault people for putting measurements or anything else, that is all personal choice. If it works for you, that is all that matters. My return rate is 1.31% so this is what works for me.
Question, why does a buyer asking a question about measurements have to equate in the amount of sales? Makes no sense. If the buyers measurements doesn't add up to the measurements you give him/her, then why should they buy your item?? If you simply put the measurements in the description, you won't have to deal with wondering if the buyer is going to buy your item or not. Blocking a buyer because they asked a question about the item, is ridiculous, to say the least.
quackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:19 AM   #10127
Cavaliercards

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackhead View Post
Question, why does a buyer asking a question about measurements have to equate in the amount of sales? Makes no sense. If the buyers measurements doesn't add up to the measurements you give him/her, then why should they buy your item?? If you simply put the measurements in the description, you won't have to deal with wondering if the buyer is going to buy your item or not. Blocking a buyer because they asked a question about the item, is ridiculous, to say the least.
That is just lowering your pool of buyers for no reason.

Follow us on Twitter AND Instagram: @Cavaliercards
Cavaliercards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:19 AM   #10128
Cavaliercards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoCubsWS View Post
I add basic measurements to every clothing listing - chest and length measurements. I find my questions are down a lot after adding them and it allows me to photo, measure, list, and store without having to dig around for them.

I have been trying to vamp up eBay this year. Sourcing/Listing/Photographing essentially 2-3 hours after work every day and on the weekends as well.
Same here, just a simple little thing when we began doing it increased our sales and cut down questions.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:21 AM   #10129
quackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hess687 View Post
Not gonna leave you high and dry, Nateyad, since I brought it back up. I, too, don't include measurements unless it doesn't come with a tag. I have measured items for people numerous of times throughout the year and a half I've been doing this and it NEVER resulted in a sale. They are picky and quite a pain in the a$$. If they are buying a shirt, chances are they have a similar shirt which should give them an estimate on whether or not this will fit them.

Did your large ralph lauren big pony polo shirt fit you after you washed it? Then chances are my large big pony polo will too. If not, return it. It's on their dime when they say it doesn't fit so it doesn't bother me at all, it's all part of business.
Again, if a buyers measurements does not add up to the measurements you give them, why do you think they need to buy the item? Why are you equating to answering a buyers question, to the amount of sales? And why are you thinking the buyer has the same shirt? Both you and Nateyad are not thinking on the buyers side of things. Like I said before, most all large volume sellers of clothes put the measurements in the listing, so they must know something about saving time and knowing what the buyers want.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:23 AM   #10130
quackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaliercards View Post
That is just lowering your pool of buyers for no reason.
Yep
Old 01-20-2018, 03:55 AM   #10131
gottagitdemjs

Anybody know how to get set in grease stains out? I picked up this vintage Ralph Lauren Chaps rugby/tennis shirt but if you look below and to the left of the logo, there is a round stain. I ran it through the wash, but that didn't work.

The Chiefs win a Super Bowl.......*sigh
gottagitdemjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:02 AM   #10132
ShellShock

Any of you guys interested in buying some UPS uniforms to sell? If so plz pm me
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #10133
bigbensbff

You can add me to the mo measurements group. I find them problematic and my sales have always been fine without them. Honestly I have enough time tied up in this with a career and 2 kids.

People would ask for them and I’d comply by digging out the item to measure. I also don’t think it leads to sale often. The times it did also resulted in 4 returns because I “didn’t measure right”. I’ve had less than 10 returns in all of my time on eBay through 7000+ transactions.

Maybe it’s just me but i feel people asking for measurements have more of a tendency to be a problem buyer. I’ve never thought of the measurements of my clothes other than suits or dress shirts but those are standard and stated.

You want a real treat on the questions, sell women’s clothes. I’ve been selling my wife’s old jeans and clothes which is an absolute headache with questions. I just don’t get needing measurements on a large Nike t shirt.

Always Buying Football Lots, Buckets, Collections

Last edited by bigbensbff; 01-20-2018 at 09:08 AM.
bigbensbff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #10134
nateyad

Quote:
I'm not going to waste the space in the thread sitting here arguing this again, but why does it matter to you how I run my store or list my items? I have explained my reasoning behind not listing measurements. The only thing it ever did for me was result in more returns and problematic buyers. Anytime I answered questions about measurements it NEVER resulted in a sale, so it became useless. Why do I block people that ask about measurements? Well because I don't want them buying my items. They are the buyers that give me the most problems out of anyone. Think about it, when you go to a retail store or even a thrift store do you take a nike polo and go try it on before you buy it? I know I don't, and the majority of people don't, but you always have those select few that are so anal about things and have to go try on the nike polo even though it's the exact same size that they already have 20 of. Same thing with eBay. I don't want to deal with those anal buyers that need the length, pit to pit, etc of basic nike or under armour polo. Once again my return rate is 1.31%, and my sales are consistent, so it is working for me. That should be all that matters.
nateyad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:46 PM   #10135
quackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateyad View Post
I'm not going to waste the space in the thread sitting here arguing this again, but why does it matter to you how I run my store or list my items? I have explained my reasoning behind not listing measurements. The only thing it ever did for me was result in more returns and problematic buyers. Anytime I answered questions about measurements it NEVER resulted in a sale, so it became useless. Why do I block people that ask about measurements? Well because I don't want them buying my items. They are the buyers that give me the most problems out of anyone. Think about it, when you go to a retail store or even a thrift store do you take a nike polo and go try it on before you buy it? I know I don't, and the majority of people don't, but you always have those select few that are so anal about things and have to go try on the nike polo even though it's the exact same size that they already have 20 of. Same thing with eBay. I don't want to deal with those anal buyers that need the length, pit to pit, etc of basic nike or under armour polo. Once again my return rate is 1.31%, and my sales are consistent, so it is working for me. That should be all that matters.
OK, whatever floats your boat. Answering questions about your items is a part of business and you should never equate it into the amount of sales you have. You wanna block good buyers, go right ahead. Just because you don't use dressing room at a retail store, doesn't automatically mean a majority of people do the same. The reason why no one uses the dressing room in thrift stores is because a MAJORITY of the people are buying to resell. GLWYS!!
Old 01-20-2018, 10:51 PM   #10136
quackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagitdemjs View Post
Anybody know how to get set in grease stains out? I picked up this vintage Ralph Lauren Chaps rugby/tennis shirt but if you look below and to the left of the logo, there is a round stain. I ran it through the wash, but that didn't work.
I use Shout Gel with the brush on the top. Squeeze some on the stain, rub it into the stain with the brush. Let it sit for about 15 minutes or longer, then wash.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:04 PM   #10137
Cavaliercards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbensbff View Post
You can add me to the mo measurements group. I find them problematic and my sales have always been fine without them. Honestly I have enough time tied up in this with a career and 2 kids.

People would ask for them and Iíd comply by digging out the item to measure. I also donít think it leads to sale often. The times it did also resulted in 4 returns because I ďdidnít measure rightĒ. Iíve had less than 10 returns in all of my time on eBay through 7000+ transactions.

Maybe itís just me but i feel people asking for measurements have more of a tendency to be a problem buyer. Iíve never thought of the measurements of my clothes other than suits or dress shirts but those are standard and stated.

You want a real treat on the questions, sell womenís clothes. Iíve been selling my wifeís old jeans and clothes which is an absolute headache with questions. I just donít get needing measurements on a large Nike t shirt.
Even with womenís clothes we found just including simple ones in listing and bam sales took off and helped. We donít dig afterwards just simple before.

But everyone has their way of doing things and do what you find works for you

Old 01-21-2018, 02:02 AM   #10138
Hess687

Quote:
OK, whatever floats your boat. Answering questions about your items is a part of business and you should never equate it into the amount of sales you have. You wanna block good buyers, go right ahead. Just because you don't use dressing room at a retail store, doesn't automatically mean a majority of people do the same. The reason why no one uses the dressing room in thrift stores is because a MAJORITY of the people are buying to resell. GLWYS!!
This is incorrect.

And as long as we're all making money everyone should be happy. We appreciate the advice, but for some of us, right now it's easier to dig the item out and measure it than it is to measure each and every item.

The question I have, (moving along from this topic), is how does everyone keep massive inventory levels? My highest has been 220 items listed but seems like I'll go on a cold streak at the thrift stores and not find anything and go back down to the 160-180 range.

As a person who has looked into doing this full time it seems as if you're at the mercy of the thrift shops when it comes to your income levels. So far it's been a nice additional income which equates to almost one additional paycheck, but I'm nowhere close to covering that second paycheck to make this full time.

We have an auction house I attend to open up different avenues and plan to do some garage sales this summer, but it's almost as if supply can't keep up with demand. Is there something we're missing?
Hess687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:03 AM   #10139
Cavaliercards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hess687 View Post
This is incorrect.

And as long as we're all making money everyone should be happy. We appreciate the advice, but for some of us, right now it's easier to dig the item out and measure it than it is to measure each and every item.

The question I have, (moving along from this topic), is how does everyone keep massive inventory levels? My highest has been 220 items listed but seems like I'll go on a cold streak at the thrift stores and not find anything and go back down to the 160-180 range.

As a person who has looked into doing this full time it seems as if you're at the mercy of the thrift shops when it comes to your income levels. So far it's been a nice additional income which equates to almost one additional paycheck, but I'm nowhere close to covering that second paycheck to make this full time.

We have an auction house I attend to open up different avenues and plan to do some garage sales this summer, but it's almost as if supply can't keep up with demand. Is there something we're missing?
Eventually you will go over that hump and you will have a couple trips where you pull ahead and that 220 will become 240, 260, 280, etc.

Key thing is to weather times with lower inventory and keep an eye out for more avenue streams that are out there.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:04 AM   #10140
preakness

Wife and I had three garbage bags filled with clothes

Ready to drop off at Goodwill

Instead left them at the corner of the Loop 101 ramp

Figured we would let homeless do what they want with them than allow flippers to sell them

I always thought giving to Purple Hearts, AmVets, and Goodwill over the years was actually helping the down and out that needed a little assistance. This thread has opened my eyes

And it's not the same as re-selling cards and such (the cards weren't donated)
preakness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:39 AM   #10141
RobDerhak

Quote:
Originally Posted by preakness View Post

Figured we would let homeless do what they want with them than allow flippers to sell them

I always thought giving to Purple Hearts, AmVets, and Goodwill over the years was actually helping the down and out that needed a little assistance. This thread has opened my eyes

FWIW...items donated at Goodwill, et all ARE helping, no matter who purchases them, for what purpose.

As they are non-profits, the income they take in is donated out in the form of community outreach services. Specific to Goodwill, they specialize in job training/interview preparation.

Feel self righteous if you want, but all you did was litter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #10142
preakness

If the homeless took one shirt then it’s a win to me
preakness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #10143
RobDerhak

Quote:
If the homeless took one shirt then itís a win to me
Like I said, feel self righteous if you want.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #10144
quackhead

Quote:

Yeah, like Rob said, the money from the sales goes to the different programs the thrift stores support. Maybe go check the Loop 101 and see if they are still there, and take them to AmVets or locally supported thrift store.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #10145
dannyman

I don't donate to goodwill. I prefer to donate to salvation army or some of the smaller independent thrift stores.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
dannyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:00 PM   #10146
quackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyman View Post
I don't donate to goodwill. I prefer to donate to salvation army or some of the smaller independent thrift stores.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Same here.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:34 PM   #10147
Cavaliercards

Quote:
If the homeless took one shirt then itís a win to me
Homeless around here will take them to the pawn shop or the clothing resell place.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:44 PM   #10148
gottagitdemjs

Our local Marshalls is clearancing North Face right now!!!! You might want to check yours.
The Chiefs win a Super Bowl.......*sigh
gottagitdemjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:23 PM   #10149
Cavaliercards

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagitdemjs View Post
Our local Marshalls is clearancing North Face right now!!!! You might want to check yours.
Employees at the one here clear it out as they mark it down.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:52 AM   #10150
crazygrover

Quote:

So you littered instead of taking it to a homeless shelter. Makes a whole lot of sense.
crazygrover is offline   Reply With Quote