Blowout Cards Forums
Trending

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #76
babyfaceposey
Member
 
babyfaceposey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,472
Default

Really like this thread. It is great for me as I just started collecting basketball. Beautiful cards.
babyfaceposey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #77
daeve
Member
 
daeve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: savannah GA
Posts: 2,922
Default

Wow that Sneak MJ is really cool, never seen anything from that set. Loving the thread so far man
daeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:41 PM   #78
buckunteer
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
ohhhhh never seen that before! how does it stack up against his Skybox Meltdown insert?
I own both...both are VERY eye-catching, both are VERY condition-sensitive...and BOTH are currently at BGS awaiting grading so I dunno how they'll come out!

My Apparitions was in startlingly good condition given the issues with the card but I expect no better than a 9, it's right on that 8.5-9 cut line. I still prefer the Meltdown, however. I love the green/blue background and I am an absolute sucker for all of those cards with those 90s black Bulls jerseys. They just pop every single time. SO many great MJ cards with it: 98-99 Fleer Electrifying, 95-96 Skybox Meltdown, 96-97 Bowman's Best Cuts (especially the refractors!), 97-98 Bowman's Best base card refractor/atomic refractor, 97-98 Topps and Topps Chrome Topps 40 insert (refractor version of that as well), 98 UD Hardcourt base, etc. etc. Those were all off the top of my head without even any research lol.


EDIT: Just thought of others- the 96-97 Topps Mystery Finest series, the borderless looks especially good ANd the 97-98 Ex2001 base/credentials. SO flawlessly designed/executed.
__________________
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State football and basketball cards in their OSU uniforms! I strongly prefer 90s era cards and use newer cards primarily as trade bait.

Last edited by buckunteer; 05-26-2018 at 05:46 PM.
buckunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:50 PM   #79
Cal27
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: California
Posts: 146
Default

I love this thread. I joined this forum because I listened to your podcast. Keep up the good work.


27 is my favorite number because that is the day of the month that I was born.

Why do you like 27?
Cal27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #80
Starman101
Member
 
Starman101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckunteer View Post
I am an absolute sucker for all of those cards with those 90s black Bulls jerseys
Ive always loved the 96-97 Upper Deck Fast Break Connection MJ card with the black jersey

Nice insert set nobody ever mentions

Great idea and great thread

Looking forward to seeing many great cards

Last edited by Starman101; 05-26-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Starman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:07 PM   #81
ThoseBackPages
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 27,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckunteer View Post
I own both...both are VERY eye-catching, both are VERY condition-sensitive...and BOTH are currently at BGS awaiting grading so I dunno how they'll come out!

My Apparitions was in startlingly good condition given the issues with the card but I expect no better than a 9, it's right on that 8.5-9 cut line. I still prefer the Meltdown, however. I love the green/blue background and I am an absolute sucker for all of those cards with those 90s black Bulls jerseys. They just pop every single time. SO many great MJ cards with it: 98-99 Fleer Electrifying, 95-96 Skybox Meltdown, 96-97 Bowman's Best Cuts (especially the refractors!), 97-98 Bowman's Best base card refractor/atomic refractor, 97-98 Topps and Topps Chrome Topps 40 insert (refractor version of that as well), 98 UD Hardcourt base, etc. etc. Those were all off the top of my head without even any research lol.


EDIT: Just thought of others- the 96-97 Topps Mystery Finest series, the borderless looks especially good ANd the 97-98 Ex2001 base/credentials. SO flawlessly designed/executed.
RIGHT ON! Thank you so much! i own a BGS 8.5 Meltdown and it is absolutely incredible in person
__________________
clectors proclaim: "the hobby is dead" & are MEGA FURIOUS AND MEGA LIVID!!!
Graded Rookie Card Collector
FOMO & POMO
Baseball CARD Good > Baseball Good
ThoseBackPages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:14 PM   #82
gslayton
Member
 
gslayton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Wisconsin Dells
Posts: 1,757
Default

Awesome thread so far Adam. The Apparitions needs a Cade Regrade! Do it...

That Sneak/Sneaker card is amazing. Rare rare stuff
__________________
IG : waldorfstories
gslayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:21 AM   #83
the27guy
Member
 
the27guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11,764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal27 View Post
I love this thread. I joined this forum because I listened to your podcast. Keep up the good work.


27 is my favorite number because that is the day of the month that I was born.

Why do you like 27?
Haha! Glad something good came from the pod

27. Thatís a long story. I think I did something on the pod or my blog about it. Itís just a lucky number.
the27guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:56 AM   #84
the27guy
Member
 
the27guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11,764
Default

#97 - When RPAís go south - Dante Exum 2014-15 National Treasures RPA 11/99 Jersey numbered

When the Jazz drafted fifth in the 2014 draft, they couldnít believe their luck when Dante Exum fell to them. The young Australian was raw and inexperienced. But all signs pointed to potential greatness.

Four seasons and two years lost to injuries and we still donít really know who Exum is. We know heís got elite size and speed for his position and heís an elite defender - but his likelihood of becoming a star - Especially with Donovan Mitchellís emergence - is unlikely at best.

Still, outside of a logoman auto rookie, the jersey numbered NT, along with the jersey numbered immaculate and jersey numbered acetate, and the true chase cards of any modern day rookie.

Believe it or not, I was once offered $2250 direct by a reputable buyer for this and turned it down. Woof.

What will Danteís restricted free agency and fifth season bring? We shall see. But the card below is still one of his most key cards and the only big one left in my collection.

the27guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:12 AM   #85
mindcycle
Member
 
mindcycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the27guy View Post
#97 - When RPAís go south - Dante Exum 2014-15 National Treasures RPA 11/99 Jersey numbered



When the Jazz drafted fifth in the 2014 draft, they couldnít believe their luck when Dante Exum fell to them. The young Australian was raw and inexperienced. But all signs pointed to potential greatness.



Four seasons and two years lost to injuries and we still donít really know who Exum is. We know heís got elite size and speed for his position and heís an elite defender - but his likelihood of becoming a star - Especially with Donovan Mitchellís emergence - is unlikely at best.



Still, outside of a logoman auto rookie, the jersey numbered NT, along with the jersey numbered immaculate and jersey numbered acetate, and the true chase cards of any modern day rookie.



Believe it or not, I was once offered $2250 direct by a reputable buyer for this and turned it down. Woof.



What will Danteís restricted free agency and fifth season bring? We shall see. But the card below is still one of his most key cards and the only big one left in my collection.




Nice card. I own some Exum stuff as well (NT RPA, Immac, etc) that I bought his rookie year. I'm still waiting to see if he can stay healthy for a whole season. He's had some extremely bad luck but has looked decent in the short spurts he's been healthy and has seen playing time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Always looking for high end Nuggets, Topps Chrome, and Prizm RC's!

My collection: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143610104@N02/collections
mindcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #86
theLUCKYshow
Member
 
theLUCKYshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 862
Default

Ahh the frustratingly enigmatic and injured Exum. I hope he can carve out a role similar to Shaun Livingston in the league and get some revenge on bad luck.
__________________
Always looking for high end Harry Giles AKA the Future
theLUCKYshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #87
the27guy
Member
 
the27guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11,764
Default

To each of the comments above - exactly.

Shaun Livingston is a very good comp.

One thing that people miss with Exum is his lack of experience before starting his career. The jazz were drafting the combination of his intelligence and his physical tools with the anticipation of developing him into a star. But man, injuries can change things fast.

I’m super interested to see what kind of deal he gets. I think it will surprise people. I still see a 3 year $25-30m deal.
the27guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:08 PM   #88
Deadshot
Member
 
Deadshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: FL
Posts: 3,298
Default

Great patch on that one, too!

This and the next summer are going to be interesting because cap space seems to be more valuable now than it ever has been. Teams were under the impression that these bloated deals were the norm and are slowly finding out that's not the case. This is even more exciting for my Pacers because they look to have some flexibility either this summer or the next. Then again, they also have to figure out how much and when they're going to pay Turner and Sabonis. This also changes the way contenders with tight cap space should draft and the value of their second round picks - find a guy that can contribute a little bit now (and peak in his first couple years), and then let him go when his services are still no longer needed.

After typing all of that I realize it was probably better suited for another thread entirely....so my apologies! Great card!
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/146770394@N03/albums
Deadshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:55 PM   #89
NeilCO
Member
 
NeilCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,627
Default

Love that Exum. It kills me that we'll have to wait until your top 10, maybe top 5, to finally see your epic Gorguis.
__________________
Timberwolves fan. Main PC is Gorgui Dieng, who has been top 35 in RPM Wins for two straight seasons. Don't @ me.

Or do. I'll be around.
NeilCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:48 PM   #90
the27guy
Member
 
the27guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11,764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilCO View Post
Love that Exum. It kills me that we'll have to wait until your top 10, maybe top 5, to finally see your epic Gorguis.
Good news and bad news. (Spoilers).

Good news - there are at least Two twolves cards

Bad news - none of them played at Louisville.


the27guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:49 PM   #91
M4YH3M1
Member
 
M4YH3M1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,381
Default

As an Australian and I can speak for a majority of the emotion I've felt from the country, it's a shame, a real damn shame to think of what he could be right now with 4 healthy seasons under him.

We pray he is healthy when we need him at the next Olympics, we will have a very VERY decent roster. maybe our best ever.

*BTW, loving this thread. thx
M4YH3M1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:51 PM   #92
Chain
Member
 
Chain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Philippines
Posts: 815
Default

That Jordan All-Star Sneaker Edition is awesome. First time I've seen it. Looks like Fleer used the same photo from the All-Star insert set but completely redesigned the card; even changing the layout orientation.
__________________
filipinosmacker.weebly.com
IG: @filipinosmacker
Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:20 AM   #93
the27guy
Member
 
the27guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11,764
Default

#96 - Scottie Pippen 1994-95 Topps Finest Lottery Prize Test Refractor

From Beckettís website, ďThis 22-card set is a parallel to the regular Lottery Prize insert. The cards feature the "classic" regular refractor technology. These cards are considered test issues since they were never intended to be released to the public. It is unknown how they made their way into the market as these cards were not inserted into packs.Ē

Iíve always favored truly rare issues over widely popular mass produced ďiconicĒ items. Part of the appeal of this Pippen, like most of my favorite cards, is the rarity and the chase.

We will never know why Topps didnít include these in packs or why they didnít include a refractor version of the 1995 rookie class. But I think of us can agree that they ought to have.

the27guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:02 AM   #94
theLUCKYshow
Member
 
theLUCKYshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 862
Default

My morning routine lately:
1) wake up
2) reach for my phone
3) see what card the27guy has posted

Nice Scottie!. I'd like to get my hands on a Chris Webber Lottery Prize Test Refractor but I'm going to have to be patient as they are pretty elusive. I'm also curious how these found it's way to the open market. I've got several uncut gold topps finest refractors (dirt cheap btw) where I wonder the same thing.
__________________
Always looking for high end Harry Giles AKA the Future
theLUCKYshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:50 AM   #95
PKIPP
Member
 
PKIPP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 165
Default

Awesome thread man.
__________________
Baseball PC: Miguel Cabrera, Andrew McCutchen, Tigers Greats
Basketball PC: Carmelo Anthony, Donovan Mitchell, Detroit Pistons Greats, HOF Autos, Star RC's
PKIPP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #96
the27guy
Member
 
the27guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11,764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLUCKYshow View Post
My morning routine lately:
1) wake up
2) reach for my phone
3) see what card the27guy has posted

Nice Scottie!. I'd like to get my hands on a Chris Webber Lottery Prize Test Refractor but I'm going to have to be patient as they are pretty elusive. I'm also curious how these found it's way to the open market. I've got several uncut gold topps finest refractors (dirt cheap btw) where I wonder the same thing.
This is what I wanted to hear. thanks. Yeah, I know the feeling. Iíd like to find a Karl Malone cornerstone, myself. But this Pippen fits in the spot.

Having said that, if I found the Malone, Iíd be happy to trade out the Pippen for it. My list currently has too many Pippenís and not bough Maloneís or Stocktonís.
the27guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #97
ThoseBackPages
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 27,375
Default

did BGS screw up some of your flips? i mean the literal flip, not a typo type of thing

that scottie flip looks warped to the point that its out of the tray. difficult to explain.

GREAT card regardless!
__________________
clectors proclaim: "the hobby is dead" & are MEGA FURIOUS AND MEGA LIVID!!!
Graded Rookie Card Collector
FOMO & POMO
Baseball CARD Good > Baseball Good
ThoseBackPages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #98
the27guy
Member
 
the27guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11,764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
did BGS screw up some of your flips? i mean the literal flip, not a typo type of thing

that scottie flip looks warped to the point that its out of the tray. difficult to explain.

GREAT card regardless!
Nah. I took a bad batch of pics about 2 months ago using LENS which all show up that way.

I kinda suck at pictures.
the27guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:19 PM   #99
pennywise
Member
 
pennywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,558
Default

That Pip. Wow. Favorite card in this thread so far. If that's #96, this thread is going to be seriously epic.
__________________
Penny Hardaway | 90's stars | San Antonio Spurs
Instagram: pennyatthepoint

"Why you no work. I work - You will work too!!!" - Michael Jordan
pennywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:47 PM   #100
the27guy
Member
 
the27guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11,764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywise View Post
That Pip. Wow. Favorite card in this thread so far. If that's #96, this thread is going to be seriously epic.
Thanks you sir!

Before I finalized the list, I believe the Pippen was as high as 65 and as low as totally off the list.

The lesson? Ranking your collection is hard - but worth it.
the27guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.