2018 coupon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-29-2018, 07:11 PM   #76
Zeldafanatic15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusRam View Post
You're probably right, especially when it comes to movie images, plotlines and the like, but I wouldn't think they'd have a whole lot of input when it comes to who can be approached to sign ?

I'd be thinking if it was okay to have one actor sign for a set, it'd likely be okay to have them all...
I think UDMatt has said before that they're given a list of actors that they can approach about signing, and they go from there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Zeldafanatic15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:40 PM   #77
AusRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldafanatic15 View Post
I think UDMatt has said before that they're given a list of actors that they can approach about signing, and they go from there.

Interesting. I wonder what the reasoning is there. Maybe it's to do with their studio contract - who's available for merchandise and who's not ?
AusRam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #78
jdhaugh11

Quote:

The thing is when you get a terrible response, you need to cancel a product or at least be more creative in order to add value to the product.

If you were throwing a large party and only 3 people RSVP'ed, you would cancel it!

It is obvious UD Matt is embarrassed about this product, becauae he has stayed far away from posting almost anything about this product!
jdhaugh11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:37 PM   #79
tier1dc

Quote:

then don't make the set. don't waste the capital, print the cards, or push the crappy product. Pass on the whole thing or renegotiate the deal you have with Marvel. Black Panther will be part of BO Black Fridays for years to come.

Having 3 signers makes Upper Deck AND the Black Panther IP look SO BAD!

How can both parties not realize this!? Why ever bother. No way this set will turn a profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhaugh11 View Post
The thing is when you get a terrible response, you need to cancel a product or at least be more creative in order to add value to the product.

If you were throwing a large party and only 3 people RSVP'ed, you would cancel it!

It is obvious UD Matt is embarrassed about this product, becauae he has stayed far away from posting almost anything about this product!
Any sane person would agree with this. Says a lot about the decision making process at Upper Deck.
tier1dc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:10 PM   #80
AceGambit3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharard View Post
Shrug, I donít count tv as same as movies. An we have no idea the contract and terms between the two franchises. But hey makes you feel better to put all the blame on upper deck, I canít argue with it.

I just know that Disney has a say so in these sets. Maybe the stars that work marvel had more say so in what they sign. I donít pretend to know all the details that goes into getting actors to sign for cards. I just donít itís think itís fair to 100 percent blame upper deck. Just seems easier cause we know Upperdeck Matt is here and someone we can hold accountable.
I don't hold UDMatt responsible at all....I look at him as more a conduit that can relay these frustrations to UD than someone with an actual say in how things are done.
And quite honestly the Disney has say so in these sets is more for the images used not who can/cannot sign. Half the cast of these Marvel movies now show up at cons across the country. This is an officially licensed marvel product which Upper Deck makes and delivers. They are accountable fully for this. From whoever they get to sign, the decision to use stickers and the god awful designs that have plagued several sets recently...it's on UD. If UD wants to come out and say otherwise then fine, tell us the consumer where to point blame.
AceGambit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:26 PM   #81
Sharard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceGambit3 View Post
I don't hold UDMatt responsible at all....I look at him as more a conduit that can relay these frustrations to UD than someone with an actual say in how things are done.
And quite honestly the Disney has say so in these sets is more for the images used not who can/cannot sign. Half the cast of these Marvel movies now show up at cons across the country. This is an officially licensed marvel product which Upper Deck makes and delivers. They are accountable fully for this. From whoever they get to sign, the decision to use stickers and the god awful designs that have plagued several sets recently...it's on UD. If UD wants to come out and say otherwise then fine, tell us the consumer where to point blame.
Well glad you know how things operate. We really don’t know the design yet, so I’m reserving full judgement on the set till I see the quality of sketches, the metal cards etc etc. if the costume relics look cool , that could help

But one thing I can’t argue is that they prolly should have just cancelled the project or make the price point a lot lower. These metal cards better blow people away to count as a premium hit.

Also worried that maybe they add an auto or a surprise sketch artist that did not make the deadline to E-pack.

Last edited by Sharard; 04-29-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:26 AM   #82
kerg

You don't get a license and then decide you don't want to do a product based on the license you just negotiated.

I get a license to do say, Stranger Things at $50K + 10% of sales on 10,000 units, I'd be on the hook for that. I wouldn't have the luxury of backing out if I couldn't get X,Y,Z person to sign.

Very possible that UD's license with Marvel on this dictates that they need to do a set based on every movie at X amount of money. I very much doubt that if they don't do a set that it is a $0 impact to them.

Based on all the variables, quite honestly I'm surprised any set is created for anything nowadays.
kerg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #83
ForceChange77

Upper deck doesn’t give a crap about how this product does at retail. They knew the movie did gang busters but put zero effort it appears to get signers. Why do they care? They will move excess inventory to epack and make money that way
ForceChange77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:17 AM   #84
jdhaugh11

Epacks, while they can be fun and addicting, has allowed UD to make junk products knowing that we the consumer will get bored at home and buy packs/boxes that we normally would not have. Eventually they will sell out of even the worst made product.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:55 AM   #85
Sharard

Quote:
Epacks, while they can be fun and addicting, has allowed UD to make junk products knowing that we the consumer will get bored at home and buy packs/boxes that we normally would not have. Eventually they will sell out of even the worst made product.
Exactly why Iím concerned that there might be a late auto or well known sketch artist that didnt meet deadline. I know premier was the only set they did something like this. Guess we will see.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #86
UpperDeckMatt
Upper Deck

Quote:
This is far from the truth. I don't post much about actors in upcoming releases until the checklists are posted/on the way to be posted because, as we all know, things change. When a checklist is posted, that is stuff we have in house and are ready to use. Yes, a primary actor said they mailed there cards back and we start talking about it, only to find out later that something happened where they mailed them 3 months after they stated it, or they mailed them from another country and are held up in customs, or they straight out didn't mail/sign them at all, or the agent wants to change some terms. The point is we don't want to get everyone excited that "PRIMARY ACTOR X" is going to be in the product and then when a checklist is posted, that person is not listed. And yes, all of the above scenarios have happened in some form... multiple times. I have stated this in the past, and you can expect this to continue for all products in the future. I check this thread regularly when new posts are added (and all UD related threads), and if I have hard data or facts to provide to it, I absolutely will. If you want to have a discussion about what you like/don't like or what might/might not be in a product, I think that is great! And that is absolutely what these forums are designed for. But I will not add to the Rumor Mill. My posts here are purely informational based. I will not add or reinforce ideas based on theories, conjectures, or opinions unless I have documented data to back up clarifications. #TheCredibleHulk

But back to the main topic of this discussion, I don't disagree with any voices here. The signer list is far from what we would like. Due to the overwhelming success of the movie, many actors asked for a premium when it came to signing. As such, we could not accommodate everyone. It is absolutely within your right to be underwhelmed by the signers, but it is a false hood to claim that our team is phoning it in or simply slacking. We take a lot of pride in what we do with the resources available to us. And believe me, everyone here was aware of the situation we were walking into. And we have something extra lined up that is not posted in the checklist. Because it is a bit last minute, we are still working out the finer details. I think it could have potential to be the most valuable cards in the set. I would keep an eye on the UD blog over the next few days as there is a nice piece that I have seen that will be posted soon. No, it is not another signer and no, there is not going to be any late signers added to e-pack. As of right now, we have no outstanding agreements, deals, or autographs in transit. What you see is what you get for signers.
UpperDeckMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #87
ForceChange77

Spend the cash and get the signers.

Cheap out and upper deck should get hammered. Upper deck should hedge their bets by getting signers signed before movies blow up.

I appreciate you taking the time to discuss this.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:07 PM   #88
UpperDeckMatt
Upper Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceChange77 View Post
Spend the cash and get the signers.

Cheap out and upper deck should get hammered. Upper deck should hedge their bets by getting signers signed before movies blow up.

I appreciate you taking the time to discuss this.
So here are the two routes...

Try to get actors to sign early with the hopes of releasing with/around the release of the film.

Or...

Allow more time to iron out deals with a delayed product release from the film launch but with an increased premium.

In both options, there is no guarantee that either method would be successful. Remember, as crazy as it sounds, some actors just straight up don't want to do it. For many of them, time is more valuable than money.
UpperDeckMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:18 PM   #89
ForceChange77

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDeckMatt View Post
So here are the two routes...

Try to get actors to sign early with the hopes of releasing with/around the release of the film.

Or...

Allow more time to iron out deals with a delayed product release from the film launch but with an increased premium.

In both options, there is no guarantee that either method would be successful. Remember, as crazy as it sounds, some actors just straight up don't want to do it. For many of them, time is more valuable than money.
Yea, but what happens when a product is delayed, no deals are worked out, and you are still charging a premium? Because that is what this product is looking like unfortunately. Loved the movie and was hoping for a nice set.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #90
jadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceChange77 View Post
Yea, but what happens when a product is delayed, no deals are worked out, and you are still charging a premium? Because that is what this product is looking like unfortunately. Loved the movie and was hoping for a nice set.
Then they add a super secret card that's not on the checklist.
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:08 PM   #91
Zeldafanatic15

Screen used prop cards, maybe?

Zeldafanatic15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:54 PM   #92
Carrbeaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDeckMatt View Post

But back to the main topic of this discussion, I don't disagree with any voices here. The signer list is far from what we would like. Due to the overwhelming success of the movie, many actors asked for a premium when it came to signing. As such, we could not accommodate everyone.
Then upper deck needs to lower the price point for this product. Wholesale cost of $90 on this product is lunacy when you have a whopping 3 signers. This should be a $50 cost product at best.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:17 PM   #93
booswain

Thanks upperdeckmatt for the nice response. Its interesting to me to see how the soup is cooked so to speak. Thanks for an inside look into how things work.
booswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:23 PM   #94
jdhaugh11

Thank you for the response UD Matt, but there is a huge issue with this product, and it has to do with price. Because UD only got 3 signers for this set, that means they saved a ton for not paying the additional 10-12 people they should have got. The box and case prices are insane from a watered down product. If boxes were only $75, then I don't think many of us would complain or at least not as much.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:01 PM   #95
gdelan1

Looks like a set that might be designed for epack

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
gdelan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:57 PM   #96
Sharard

First off, thank you for the response and explanation. And, I myself, willing to hold any more judgement till the release of the product. Love to see design of what the cards will look like. And I’m perfectly willing to wait and see the extra thing you are doing. As long it’s available to live release as well as epack, I’m willing to give it a chance.. as some said here, the price point was the consternation of a lot of the people.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:03 PM   #97
Vargaman

man, if this is all that they can get for BP, I can only imagine how bad IW will be

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:40 PM   #98
daviswr7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
man, if this is all that they can get for BP, I can only imagine how bad IW will be
I would hope UD has stickers lying around of at BARE MINIMUM the following actors...

Chris Evans
Sebastian Stan
Jeremy Renner
Zoe Saldana
Chris Hemsworth
Benedict Cumberbatch
*edit-add* Chris Pratt
*edit-add* Stan lee

and probably a few more big names that I can't think of...I mean all these actors signed abundant amount of stickers in previous sets, no?

Last edited by daviswr7; 04-30-2018 at 05:47 PM.
daviswr7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:43 PM   #99
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviswr7 View Post
I would hope UD has stickers lying around of at BARE MINIMUM the following actors...

Chris Evans
Sebastian Stan
Jeremy Renner
Zoe Saldana
Chris Hemsworth
Benedict Cumberbatch

and probably a few more big names that I can't think of...I mean all these actors signed abundant amount of stickers in previous sets, no?
But does UD have the right to use them in any set without the license holders permission?

And who knows how many even exist per signer. Though they could make an awesome multiauto booklet...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

star wars hit tracker spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #100
BravesFan4Life

If they bring an IW set with junk signers they will lose whats left of their customer base for marvel sets, it is literally the biggest movie money wise in history, if some actors dont sign that is fine but pony up for the ones that will.
BravesFan4Life is online now   Reply With Quote