Blowout Cards Forums
2018 bowman chrome

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: I predict that in 2018...
...Dak improves, Cowboys make the playoffs, Garrett stays 13 15.12%
...Dak improves, Cowboys make the playoffs, Garrett fired 7 8.14%
...Dak improves, Cowboys miss the playoffs, Garrett stays 13 15.12%
...Dak improves, Cowboys miss the playoffs, Garrett fired 10 11.63%
...Dak regresses, Cowboys make the playoff, Garrett stays 1 1.16%
...Dak regresses, Cowboys make the playoffs, Garrett fired 1 1.16%
...Dak regresses, Cowboys miss the playoffs, Garrett stays 18 20.93%
...Dak regresses, Cowboys miss the playoffs, Garrett fired 23 26.74%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
TheFrenzy

Default Sad Cowboys Fan: Feel Free To Pile It On With Your Predictions

As a big Tony Romo, Jason Witten, Dez Bryant, Terrance Williams collector........oof.

I still love the O-line, I think Zeke is in a better place, I think Dak has the ability to be a Top-15 QB, I think the team has continued to draft well and the defense should take a big step forwards, but....

....Garrett is still the coach, the receiving corp is likely the worst in the league (so no help for Dak), and the rest of the division seems to have done more to improve themselves than Dallas. So for the first time in more than a decade, I have absolutely no gut feeling one way or the other how this team will perform. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised with 5-11 or 11-5 or anything in between.

Let me hear your predictions for the upcoming season.
Look for the following 2005 Topps Chrome "Golden Anniversary" refractors: Randy Moss, Ahman Green, Edgerrin James, Jamal Lewis, Ray Lewis, Tony Gonzalez, Jonathan Ogden, Nate Burleson, Eli Manning, Lee Evans, and Steven Jackson.
TheFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
TWard

Default Sad Cowboys Fan: Feel Free To Pile It On With Your Predictions

I like the defense. A lot of young talent, a lot. Theyíre definitely gonna have their hiccups on that side of the ball but in a year or 2, it could be a top-3/5 defense in the league.... if done right. Thereís reason for optimism with guys like Demarcus Lawrence, Jaylon Smith, Taco Charlton, Chidobe Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis, Vander Esch, Charles Tapper, Maliek Collins, Dorance Armstrong (one of my favorite players in the draft) and so on. Btw, Joel Lanning could be a darkhorse, I like his talent.

The offense is..... yeah. Dez was a shell of his former self but he was probably better than anyone they have now. A corps of Terrence Williams, Cole Beasley, Tavon Austin, Deonte Thompson, Allen Hurns and Michael Gallup (who I also like a lot) isnít gonna strike fear into most teams.

The OL is still terrific, which will help Zeke but the WR corps hurts. Dak isnít gonna have much to throw to, especially with no real safety net at TE - Blake Jarwin, Geoff Swain, Rico Gathers and Dalton Schultz. Thatís fairly lackluster.

Fairly tough schedule too. Theyíre gonna have tough games @Carolina, Detroit, Jacksonville, Tennessee, both Philly games, Atlanta & New Orleans. All 4 of the Redskins and Giants games are toss-ups. Then you have @Seattle, @Houston, @Indianapolis and Tampa Bay.

At best, I think 8-9 wins. At worst, 5 wins. We shall see.

** Instagram - @tylersportsguy **
TWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:31 PM   #3
blevins26

I think they'll finish last in the NFC East and it won't necessarily be a bad thing. With Romo, Dez, and Witten gone I think they've turned over the roster from "win now" to rebuild mode.

I think Dak gets better. I don't think he'll even be considered a top 5 QB in the league. I think his ceiling will be 8-15th best QB in the league.

This team now needs to be all about ground & pound and defense. A year where they suck and get a top-10 draft pick is probably exactly what they need to round out the roster. I'm not sure of their cap situation but I would think getting another year out from under some of those big contracts will probably help too. Sure, they'll potentially have to sign some big name guys but at least those guys will be young players.
blevins26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #4
seabass97166

How the hell does Garrett still have a job, 1 playoff win in 8 years with all that talent?

That’s just flat out ridiculous and the Cowboys deserve everything that’s coming to them, which isn’t much until Jones sells the team to somebody that knows better not to get involved with all the decision making
seabass97166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
TheFrenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass97166 View Post
How the hell does Garrett still have a job, 1 playoff win in 8 years with all that talent?
Look for the following 2005 Topps Chrome "Golden Anniversary" refractors: Randy Moss, Ahman Green, Edgerrin James, Jamal Lewis, Ray Lewis, Tony Gonzalez, Jonathan Ogden, Nate Burleson, Eli Manning, Lee Evans, and Steven Jackson.
TheFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:48 PM   #6
blevins26

Quote:

Thatís just flat out ridiculous and the Cowboys deserve everything thatís coming to them, which isnít much until Jones sells the team to somebody that knows better not to get involved with all the decision making
Wow, the "1 playoff win in 8 years" line really hits home. It's unacceptable for any coach, no matter who the players are.

I would defend Garrett with respect to the talent level of the team though. Their talent level on defense has consistently been sub-par. It seems like they had a franchise QB for most of Garrett's tenure but Romo's injuries really derailed a couple seasons.

Having said that, I think other coaches have gotten a lot more with a lot less.

Watching "All or Nothing", I get the feeling Garrett is almost too smart to be an inspiring leader. If he were to lose his mind and throw a chair against the wall, it just wouldn't be believable. Even his rampant use of F-bombs on the show seems like he read in a book that swearing is a way to make people think you're really, like really, super serious.

I think he's the classic good OC that just doesn't have the personal touch needed to be a great HC.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:33 PM   #7
ucLAkers

As a Cowboys fan....we’re doomed again till 2025
ucLAkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #8
BostonNut

Undefeated season and Super Bowl champs!
BostonNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:20 PM   #9
jmscoggin

I'd like to see Dallas develop Dak like Pittsburgh did with Ben, minus all of the rapey off the field stuff. Ben's first few years he was a game manager, he could run out of trouble when need be and stretch the field enough to keep defenses honest but his job was to manage the game and not lose it. The strategy worked great and he gradually grew into a guy that they could loosen the reigns with. I like Dak but I'm realistic about what he is and can be, let him manage the game and ride Zeke until the wheels fall off.

FTR, I voted regression/miss/fired, I wish that I had more optimism but I've been a Cowboys fan for long enough to not let false hope get me excited.

"nah not mad Maga cat ..."
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:22 PM   #10
mnvikingstwins

Ezekiel Elliott gets arrested week 4 and suspended for rest of season, Cowboys sign Tony Romo back from broadcasting in week 11 but he doesn't play.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:42 PM   #11
seabass97166

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins26 View Post
Wow, the "1 playoff win in 8 years" line really hits home. It's unacceptable for any coach, no matter who the players are.

I would defend Garrett with respect to the talent level of the team though. Their talent level on defense has consistently been sub-par. It seems like they had a franchise QB for most of Garrett's tenure but Romo's injuries really derailed a couple seasons.

Having said that, I think other coaches have gotten a lot more with a lot less.

Watching "All or Nothing", I get the feeling Garrett is almost too smart to be an inspiring leader. If he were to lose his mind and throw a chair against the wall, it just wouldn't be believable. Even his rampant use of F-bombs on the show seems like he read in a book that swearing is a way to make people think you're really, like really, super serious.

I think he's the classic good OC that just doesn't have the personal touch needed to be a great HC.
Just watch the second half of Cowboys games, they usually get their heads kicked in becuse good coaches are making the necessary adjustments
seabass97166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:12 AM   #12
RogerGodahell

How is Garrett still the head coach? Seems like he's had plenty of talent over the years but can't put it all together. Jerry needs to keep his fingers out of the pie if he ever wants to see another SB. I'll say 9-7
RogerGodahell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:38 AM   #13
starfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWard View Post
I like the defense. A lot of young talent, a lot. Theyíre definitely gonna have their hiccups on that side of the ball but in a year or 2, it could be a top-3/5 defense in the league.... if done right. Thereís reason for optimism with guys like Demarcus Lawrence, Jaylon Smith, Taco Charlton, Chidobe Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis, Vander Esch, Charles Tapper, Maliek Collins, Dorance Armstrong (one of my favorite players in the draft) and so on. Btw, Joel Lanning could be a darkhorse, I like his talent.

The offense is..... yeah. Dez was a shell of his former self but he was probably better than anyone they have now. A corps of Terrence Williams, Cole Beasley, Tavon Austin, Deonte Thompson, Allen Hurns and Michael Gallup (who I also like a lot) isnít gonna strike fear into most teams.

The OL is still terrific, which will help Zeke but the WR corps hurts. Dak isnít gonna have much to throw to, especially with no real safety net at TE - Blake Jarwin, Geoff Swain, Rico Gathers and Dalton Schultz. Thatís fairly lackluster.

Fairly tough schedule too. Theyíre gonna have tough games @Carolina, Detroit, Jacksonville, Tennessee, both Philly games, Atlanta & New Orleans. All 4 of the Redskins and Giants games are toss-ups. Then you have @Seattle, @Houston, @Indianapolis and Tampa Bay.

At best, I think 8-9 wins. At worst, 5 wins. We shall see.
Wide receiver will be just fine by October. You need to be concerned with the safeties. That's our weakness.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
starfox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:43 AM   #14
starfox

The team will never leave the Jones' family.
Quote:

Thatís just flat out ridiculous and the Cowboys deserve everything thatís coming to them, which isnít much until Jones sells the team to somebody that knows better not to get involved with all the decision making
Old 05-25-2018, 07:10 AM   #15
chris43

Hate to say it but I'd welcome a 3-5 win season IF it means Garrett will be fired!
Old 05-25-2018, 10:30 AM   #16
blevins26

Quote:
Just watch the second half of Cowboys games, they usually get their heads kicked in becuse good coaches are making the necessary adjustments
Really good point. That's another thing that gets driven home in All or Nothing. The games all seem close at halftime, or even Cowboys leading, and then they get smoked in the 2nd half.

You're exactly right that this type of problem is a coaching issue.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:52 AM   #17
Poochie

It’s all dependent on Zeke and the defense. Dak doesn’t have much to throw to, but they’re hoping he doesn’t have to much. I think he’ll be improved, but the numbers might not reflect it. All told, looking at the schedule, I’m guessing about 6-8 wins. I know there’s always some surprise teams good and bad, but this one looks tough.
Poochie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:00 AM   #18
LeonfromNC

Michael Gallup is the next Michael Thomas.
LeonfromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #19
heatdawg

Ya I do not think Dak will have much of a career. Only way Dak does anything is if Zeke demands an extra man in the box. This season falls on Zeke, not Dak. Dak reminds me of a Brad Johnson skillset.

Remember Dak prices back in 2016! what a waste of money ;P

Now Zeke, I believe. Future HOF.
heatdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #20
49erRCCollector

Playing in a tough division. The toughest. 10-6 at best but could see 7-9 as well.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:09 AM   #21
Adarkes01

Garrett has a job because while he has had exceptional talent, it's all exceptional offensive talent. This is maybe his first year coaching he'll have a defense that isn't D. Ware and some cement blocks for a secondary. But now the situation is completely reversed.

Our defense is young and talented. Lawrence, J. Smith, Lee, LVE, who wants to try to run the ball against that? Effing no one.

We might have the worst receiving corp in the league. We lost Dez and Witten. T Willliams status as a PLAYER is up in the air with this whole 'got wasted and crashed my rental lambo and the cops found me on an electric scooter' affair. So we have Hearns, Beasley, and a bunch of untested young guys. Ooof.

I'm not sure what's gonna happen. Either these guys step up and Dak can spread the ball or everyone will stack the box and just sit on Zeke all game. I think Brice Butler is going to have a career defining season. Dude can ball.

I'm not sure Garrett deserves the blame as much as Linehan honestly. Our offense can't adjust mid game. At all. Everyone can see that. Players have called us out on it publicly. It's crazy.

I want to believe. But cold logic tells me the classic 8-8 is possible.

Last edited by Adarkes01; 05-26-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Adarkes01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:20 AM   #22
ssbledsoe

I picked:
Dak regresses, Cowboys miss the playoffs, Garrett stays

Mostly because I will miss Shea in Irvings rants about the Ivy League Ginger if Garrett doesn't stay. Dak regressing and boys out of the playoffs will just add to the vitriol.

Drew Bledsoe is a better QB than your favorite QB
ssbledsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:53 AM   #23
altaeria

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erRCCollector View Post
Playing in a tough division. The toughest. 10-6 at best but could see 7-9 as well.
Iím leaning towards the 10-6 side. I didnít quite understand why their offense (Dak) struggled so much late last year, and I kinda expect a bounceback season.
altaeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:55 AM   #24
dio

dak is really good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RznFr8cNlzU
dio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #25
starfox

I don't understand the thought patterns of some of you. With Ezekiel Elliott back, we should have no problems on offense. Our new receiving and tight end group will be fine. Dak never regressed; he was missing Tyron Smith and Ezekiel Elliott. We have one main problem: both safety spots. If we fix just one of those spots and remain relatively healthy, 11 - 5 should be the record. This team has the most potential of any Cowboys' team of the last five years.