Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:27 AM   #126
DSizzle31

Just got back and I’m sure I’m in the minority but I was disappointed. IMO it dragged in the middle and even the end was unsatisfying to me. I’ll get into why in a couple of days when more people have seen it.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s Star Wars so I liked it, I just didn’t love it and that makes me sad.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:29 AM   #127
Brobocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSizzle31 View Post
Just got back and I’m sure I’m in the minority but I was disappointed. IMO it dragged in the middle and even the end was unsatisfying to me. I’ll get into why in a couple of days when more people have seen it.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s Star Wars so I liked it, I just didn’t love it and that makes me sad.
Nah man, I got out and was pumped but then on the drive home just felt so meh about it. I remember leaving Force Awakens and not being able to wait to see it again. This, I dunno. Just a really weird feeling. I guess the best way to put it is that I liked it well enough, but did not love it. Kind of long, a little bloated, some scenes that made no sense, the dialogue was a bit weird at times, and some of the new characters were terrible. A lot of "Wow, that's it?" kind of moments for me. I dunno. Just feel a bit disappointed like you do.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:32 AM   #128
awz50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSizzle31 View Post

I feel all this
awz50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:43 AM   #129
houdini

I just got back.

Loved it. Best one yet.

NO ECHECKS ACCEPTED!
YouTube Link
Shipping Info
International Shipping
Descanse mi princesita 9/20/00-4/16/15
houdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:43 AM   #130
88horsepower

Saw it tonight and left very satisfied. There are some moments that didn’t quite jive with me, but I’m nitpicking. Conversely, there were also some really amazing sequences that I can’t wait to see again. There was also a fun dose of humor in some spots that I didn’t expect and liked. I definitely look forward to viewing it a second time on Monday.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:20 AM   #131
TheFrenzy

Man, it almost physically hurt to walk out of a Star Wars movie and not feel absolute joy. Even the prequels left me pumped leaving the theater. Not so with Episode 8 and it sucks.

Not nitpicking because I almost desperately wanted to be blown away by this, but I'm interested if anyone else noticed similar things:

SPOILER FREE - SPOILER FREE - SPOILER FREE

- Star Wars overall has always been dinged for its lack of female characters and Force Awakens/Rogue One didn't totally fix that, but they did create some absolutely fantastic female leads who kicked butt and totally rocked as freedom fighters. They had emotional depth and were overall incredible. Last Jedi seemed to swing the pendulum to the other extreme going with sheer quantity over any kind of quality. When did the Resistence become an Amazonian movement? (Though Wonder Woman actually made you care about its largely female cast)

- Too many humans, too few aliens. One of the things Episodes 1-6 did really well was to remind the audience that humans were just one among a galactic number of species. Episode 7 was more human-centric, but Episode 8 made it seem like humans were the only important species in the galaxy. When aliens did appear, they were either being ridden or milked..........um........yeah.

- The score was completely forgettable. Star Wars music is supposed to be iconic! It's almost timeless. Even the prequels get this right! Yet not a single note from Episode 8 stuck with me. None of the new characters have a theme and nothing heralds a triumphal moment.

- The sheer number of characters and storylines the script juggles really made it feel more like tv show with the tension building every 15 minutes or so and then immediately cutting away. It felt like most of the good scenes cut away right as they were becoming great.

- I'm not totally sure that female character had that male character's consent before she kissed him...

- The four biggest plot lines going into this movie for me were 1) Rey's parents 2) Why Kylo turned to the Dark Side 3) Will we get to see Luke the Jedi kick butt and 4) Will we get to see Snoke the Sith kick butt. All four received very "meh" treatment from the script.

- Some people love the fact that a main character's plan fails horribly and that a major side quest ends up being for nothing. Others of us have a hard time seeing how this gets included in an already long run time.

- The random and jarring shift in cinematography during Rey's "reach out" training scene. It instantly jolted me back to the awful film "Lucy." Totally out of sync with the rest of the film's style and took me out of the film completely for several minutes afterwards.

- They foreshadowed a major death with a throwaway gag involving Porgs! (It's a super subtle foreshadowing, so you might not even notice it while seeing it. I only caught while discussing the movie with my wife driving open and my jaw dropped open.)

- One rule of cinema and script-writing is "show, don't tell." Yet much of the dialogue is incredibly heavy-handed and openly spells out everything the characters are thinking or going to do.

- At this point in the new trilogy, we've still hardly seen anything to suggest how awful life is or will be under the First Order. In fact, by the end it's really hard to tell if the majority of the galaxy is actually pining/fighting/rooting for a new Republic.

- Referencing the original trilogy is cool. Referencing the prequels is not. All that was missing from one scene was someone screaming "NOW THIS IS POD RACING!"

- The plot holes. Oh, the plot holes........but those would be spoilers.

Again, it's been a rough night for me. I envy everyone who loved the film.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:22 AM   #132
ilovethelakings
I make a lot of posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderdale View Post
Heard Hammel is amazing, true?
It's true. It's damn true! I will say nothing more about the film other than it is a must watch for anyone even mildly interested in Star Wars.
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:10 AM   #133
awz50

I thought the out of place humor killed a lot of moments for me...

I wanted a serious Star wars movie (which it was at times...) but there was just too much out of place humor

Spoiler! Spoiler Spoiler!

Get it yet? Spoiler! Spoiler Spoiler!

Its in white, just in case you didnt see the huge spoiler things

I thought the part where Leia "dies" and somehow forces herself back to ship was kinda stupid, though I know I am in the minority for this

Though on the flip side I thought the piece between Luke and Leia was freaking amazing.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:13 AM   #134
preakness

Anyone die in the movie?
preakness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:15 AM   #135
awz50

I also thought the references to the prequels and all the other references are awesome.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:15 AM   #136
awz50

Quote:
Originally Posted by preakness View Post
Anyone die in the movie?
Maybe
Old 12-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #137
chrisfaceoff

I thought the movie was fantastic. Started off slow for me, but overall it delivered.

There was 1 major plot hole/questions I thought was unanswered, but I'll stay quiet on that for a few days so everyone has a chance to see it.

https://www.ebay.com/str/faceoffsportscards
chrisfaceoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #138
callou2131

I enjoyed it as a whole, but have to agree on the ending. It was like....wtf? That's it? I also agree on the aliens/humans ratio. There isn't a single memorable alien or droid character apart from the old ones. I feel like the porg was thrown in there for them to sell cute plush dolls for $40 a pop and no other reason. Too many questions from vII remain unanswered. Liked it alot,but disappointed if that makes sense.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #139
Brobocop

So 12 hours after seeing it I'm starting to feel more and more disappointed. I won't go into why since it'll spoil the movie but man, I just feel like this movie was a huge missed opportunity.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #140
smanzari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
So 12 hours after seeing it I'm starting to feel more and more disappointed. I won't go into why since it'll spoil the movie but man, I just feel like this movie was a huge missed opportunity.
Me too. There were a handful of scenes I really liked, but it felt like "Pirates of the Carribbean in Space"
smanzari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #141
lamiwe21

First act was strong. Johnson paid homage to traditional things you expect in a Star Wars movie, Second act was okay with Johnson doing some story and character subtraction, Third act is basically Johnson saying let’s open up this universe. This was Adam Drivers movie.
lamiwe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:00 AM   #142
IndySportsCards

I liked that part where Chewbacca growled. Now that's drama and space acting at it's finest!
Old 12-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #143
Ty Hope

I absolutely loved it! It took SW in a very different, refreshing direction. At least 5 things happened that were totally unexpected, and the action scenes were intense. Going again tomorrow! What a fantastic movie!

Last edited by Ty Hope; 12-15-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #144
Brobocop

This is going to be a divisive movie among fans I think. Walking out, the people in front of me were raving and the people behind me were irate.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #145
IndySportsCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
This is going to be a divisive movie among fans I think. Walking out, the people in front of me were raving and the people behind me were irate.
Was it better than Cats?

yet, more importantly, is an Star Wars a Athlete?
Old 12-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #146
Brobocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Was it better than Cats?

yet, more importantly, is an Star Wars a Athlete?
I wish I got this reference. Feel like I'm missing out on something good. Maybe even lawsuite good.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #147
majestik101

Seeing it tonight in IMAX. Does the Porg die. Just tell me that much.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:22 PM   #148
88horsepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestik101 View Post
All the people complaining about the Porg and they are literally on screen for a total of a few minutes of a 2.5 hour movie.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #149
TheFrenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestik101 View Post
One does at least. Sorry for the spoilers.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:52 PM   #150
majestik101

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrenzy View Post
One does at least. Sorry for the spoilers.
music to my ears