Blowout Cards Forums
2018 summer sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > GRADING

Notices

GRADING For all grading talk - PSA, BGS, SGC, etc

Old 07-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #1
RiceBondsMT2Yng

Default Walk Me Through the Process for Group Submissions to PSA (and BGS to a lesser extent)

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could explain how I can get a few cards over to PSA without becoming a member. I read some group submission threads but it wasn’t clear to me where I should go to get the process started, what the costs are, etc. Do group submissions only happen after a group box break? Do I have to buy into the break to submit my cards? How can PSA tell whether it’s going to grant you a 10 for example without breaking into a BGS 9.5’s case first, since I heard you can request a PSA slabbing - contingent on a minimum grade - having sent the cardi originally in a BGS slab.

Also, I’m going to the National and I was wondering if I could submit to these two companies in person to save on outbound shipping. I assume PSA is a nonstarter in person unless I have a membership?

Thanks a lot for your thoughts!
RiceBondsMT2Yng is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:03 PM   #2
alifaxwa2

Most of the group submission threads here are very clear. Re-read them.
They are not usually linked to box break, so anyone can submit.
alifaxwa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:51 PM   #3
RiceBondsMT2Yng

Quote:
Originally Posted by alifaxwa2 View Post
Most of the group submission threads here are very clear. Re-read them.
They are not usually linked to box break, so anyone can submit.
The group sub link under Houdiniís sig takes you to a page with a link to group breaks. Am I missing something obvious? Appreciate if you could point me in the right direction.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:18 PM   #4
mhcook

I think the most common group submitter on here is jewcer2k5. I don't know how to link it or I would.

Both companies will review graded cards to determine if it will make your minimum grade.

You can submit at the National to save on outbound shipping and they will walk you through the process.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by mhcook; 07-18-2018 at 10:20 PM.
mhcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:40 PM   #5
jsnake89

It’s pretty simple and strait forward, in the new group breaks section. Look for threads titled “PSA or BGS” group submission, then click on it and follow the clear instructions.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:34 AM   #6
alifaxwa2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceBondsMT2Yng View Post
The group sub link under Houdiniís sig takes you to a page with a link to group breaks. Am I missing something obvious? Appreciate if you could point me in the right direction.
Ah, sure.
See below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnake89 View Post
Itís pretty simple and strait forward, in the new group breaks section. Look for threads titled ďPSA or BGSĒ group submission, then click on it and follow the clear instructions.
alifaxwa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #7
aggie4ever

Just a note, you don't need a membership to submit to PSA. But if you want to take advantage of their bulk rates or monthly specials, then you need to be a member. But anyone can submit to them at their regular rates.

Yes, you can drop the cards off at either PSA or BGS at the Nationals to save the costs of postage of sending them in.

When doing a review, PSA will review the card still in the BGS holder and determine if it will meet the minimum grade you specify. For the most part, they can see most aspects of most cards through the holder. But you are right, the BGS case and inner sleeve may make it difficult to see everything about the card. If in doubt, PSA will probably err on the side of caution, and if they think there may be damage even if they can't tell for sure, they will say it doesn't meet the specified grade.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #8
RiceBondsMT2Yng

Thanks mhcook, I think I found the affiliated external site run by jewcer so Iíll send him a PM and see if I can find out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
Just a note, you don't need a membership to submit to PSA. But if you want to take advantage of their bulk rates or monthly specials, then you need to be a member. But anyone can submit to them at their regular rates.
When doing a review, PSA will review the card still in the BGS holder and determine if it will meet the minimum grade you specify. For the most part, they can see most aspects of most cards through the holder. But you are right, the BGS case and inner sleeve may make it difficult to see everything about the card. If in doubt, PSA will probably err on the side of caution, and if they think there may be damage even if they can't tell for sure, they will say it doesn't meet the specified grade.
Thanks, thatís super helpful, I pretty much didnít know any of this. It sounds like it might be cheaper to do group submissions than it would be to submit as a nonmember in person to PSA.

Is there an option to have them include the soft sleeve inside the PSA case that Iíve seen them do occasionally?
Old 07-19-2018, 01:13 PM   #9
mjohnatgt

When you submit each card, you can put a comment next to it on the submission form: have the line "please use mylar insert" on the cards you want to get the inner sleeve. PSA may or may not do it, but that's how you ask for it.
Also, most group submitters will not do crossover submissions (taking cards in other slabs and submitting to different TPG). You'll need to look for those specifically.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:01 PM   #10
RiceBondsMT2Yng

Ok, good stuff, very much appreciated. I know a lot of people don’t like the look of the mylar but in terms of protecting a card, how is there any contest? It prevents rattling, direct contact with a hard edge, protects from the elements better, and adds maybe an extra layer of UV protection. I wonder if they charge extra for it.

I understand some group submitters will crack the existing holder for you and send it in raw but I’m guessing the added weight of an unwanted case is the reason some won’t send it in-case.

I don’t quite understand declared value. Do group submissions require your card to be worth less than some kind of price cap? Is it just for insurance purposes in case the card gets lost along the way? How can you know the value of a card in order to declare it without knowing the grade it will earn? Maybe it’s the value you personally think your card is worth raw, but then I don’t get why PSA or group submitters would care.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #11
mjohnatgt

You should really read the threads around here. Many questions you ask have been answered repeatedly.
1) Most don't like the mylar because its distracting and makes it harder to take photos. No additional charges to get it, but PSA reserves the right to not do it.
2) Bulk submissions to PSA have to be all one type: raw, crossover, or review. Adding scabbed cards means the submitter has to put together multiple submissions and pay separate return shipping.
3) Declared value is mainly an insurance evaluation and is what you could replace the card for raw in same condition. The cheapest PSA submissions limit to $99. However, they'll let you slide more expensive cards through if it's not egregious. They may contact you based on the grade you got and upgrade your service level/price if there is a drastic difference.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:06 AM   #12
RiceBondsMT2Yng

I submitted a BGS crossover to PSA in person at the National. It cost $38 all told for a card valued at under $500. Is that how expensive reviews are going to be as long as I'm not a member and I only submit one card at a time myself?

I was led to believe the card may get graded and slabbed that very day - was that ever a possibility at my submission level, since I seemed to have opted for bare bones regular review?

How do I check my card submission order status and is there a way to merge it with the online account I created for myself? Is there a way for me to request a mylar sleeve after the fact?

Thanks again for all your great advice and help!
Old 08-08-2018, 08:12 AM   #13
Branesergen

If you submit 1 card at a time it is very expensive because you are absorbing all the costs into 1 card. Return shipping is one cost and insurance is another. If you submit 10 cards your cost per card drops to (just a guestimate) $25 a card. Here is a link to their fees:

https://www.psacard.com/fees/

If you put your email address on the form then you'll be able to check it online once they send you the email that your order is received (within a week usually)

Not sure if you can request a sleeve now but its probably best to call them and ask.