2018 summer sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 08-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #51
Lilytoby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkenburg View Post
In honor of Bob joining the conversation, I've created my first sketch. Bob taught me everything I know.
You're so talented!! How much do you charge for commission?
Old 08-04-2017, 06:47 PM   #52
hrad_23

Quote:
In honor of Bob joining the conversation, I've created my first sketch. Bob taught me everything I know.

Now that's funny!
Old 08-04-2017, 06:56 PM   #53
Bryanjs14

Quote:

I hate to call you out on a public forum but it's very obvious that while you may have the artistic ability of progress sketch 1, it's very obvious that progress sketch 2 has been ripped off from another artist. You can easily see that the head size has changed from your basic somewhat oversized head in the first sketch to a true artist representation of a normal human sized head proportional with the human body in the second sketch.

Another dead giveaway that you obviously stole the second sketch is in the arms and legs. Again your basic artist skills are in display in sketch one with the arms being almost T-Rex sized in comparison to the body, and one of the legs looking like it's been amputated at the knee.
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:57 PM   #54
joudenjouden

Default Sketch Card artist Bob Hepner accused of faking/printing/stealing art

..... Bryan beat me to it.
joudenjouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #55
LBillustration

My 8 minute "sketch"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0966fe0d3f511898e53afdde6e03afdf.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	383323  
LBillustration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:01 PM   #56
jrosales

As a kid, Bob dreamed of being an art, just like how Kang dreamed of being a baseball on The Simpsons.

Always open to discussing sketch card commissions. Please PM me for my availability.
jrosales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:01 PM   #57
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry lime View Post
Also could we have a link to your "Guinness World Record"...should be easy to find on their website.....go!

I mean there's his video with people who watched him draw though, and it was 8 hours, not minutes.

https://youtu.be/jCbWUAXRmvs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #58
LBillustration

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrosales View Post
As a kid, Bob dreamed of being an art, just like how Kang dreamed of being a baseball on The Simpsons.
You mean the video that says DAY 1 then day 2
no chance of swapping the drawings there?
Old 08-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #59
Eissacs

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/up...this-comic.jpg
Eissacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #60
Bryanjs14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
I mean there's his video with people who watched him draw though, and it was 8 hours, not minutes.

For someone who is negative in literally every other thread you've posted in, you sure are being positive when the proof is clear as day against the guy you are standing up for.
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:05 PM   #61
LBillustration

Quote:

would love to see the Record also
Old 08-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #62
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post
For someone who is negative in literally every other thread you've posted in, you sure are being positive when the proof is clear as day against the guy you are standing up for.
I'm just saying here's his record video.

He sent it to me on Facebook and said he will post a start to finish video.

He even offered me a refund on my commission, but didn't say he printed it or anything.

I also am curious who the artists are that are accusing him, like another member on here said, they should say their names is they know 100%. I don't doubt he printed some things and that there's shady stuff in some videos.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old 08-04-2017, 07:24 PM   #63
Drax44

Quote:

He even offered me a refund on my commission, but didn't say he printed it or anything.

I also am curious who the artists are that are accusing him, like another member on here said, they should say their names is they know 100%. I don't doubt he printed some things and that there's shady stuff in some videos.

A search on the Guinness site shows there is no category of the type he is claiming to have the record, or attempt, for.
Drax44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:24 PM   #64
LBillustration

Quote:

They are not the ones on trial
Old 08-04-2017, 07:26 PM   #65
Vargaman

Looking at my commission compared to a brad hudson sketch you can see there's no reflections or ink/pencil lines on Bob's drawing.

Definitely getting a refund here....

And LB I'm not accusing them, just saying why not sign off on their findings?

Old 08-04-2017, 07:27 PM   #66
Faulkenburg

Send a message via AIM to Faulkenburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post
I hate to call you out on a public forum but it's very obvious that while you may have the artistic ability of progress sketch 1, it's very obvious that progress sketch 2 has been ripped off from another artist. You can easily see that the head size has changed from your basic somewhat oversized head in the first sketch to a true artist representation of a normal human sized head proportional with the human body in the second sketch.

Another dead giveaway that you obviously stole the second sketch is in the arms and legs. Again your basic artist skills are in display in sketch one with the arms being almost T-Rex sized in comparison to the body, and one of the legs looking like it's been amputated at the knee.
Hmm.... looks like my options here are limited... I could "man up" and admit the truth, but this IS the internet so I'd rather call you names in an attempt at deflection. You, sir, are a cotton-headed ninny muggin!!!
Old 08-04-2017, 07:29 PM   #67
joudenjouden

Quote:

Problem is, from what I've heard, for his refunds that he's offering, he demands the card back before the refund. He refuses to refund before receiving the card...
joudenjouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:29 PM   #68
rawtashk

I am going to address the "live sketch" video here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTzVaanA-Vs. and why I think this is 100% bogus.

I really have no skin in this game, aside from one pack-pulled "sketch" of his, but in a former life (IE: from about 17 years old to 21) I did a lot of street and card magic. A LOT of card magic. I can manipulate cards right under your nose and you won't even know it. As someone who did (and still can do) a lot of slight of hand, this doesn't pass the smell test to me, and I'll tell you why.

The video starts with everything in place. We don't see a blank card, we're just told to assume it's blank. Watch how he adjusts the card at the 16 second mark (we'll come back to it). Notice how he's pretty careful and deliberate and uses both hands to adjust it.

He sketches for about 2:40. Watch that left hand and how closely it grips the card. Do you ever see the fingers on his left hand move out of the way or relax its grip? I'm also not an artist, but I'm fairly sure the quick motions he makes while looking at the camera/computer screen for 10 seconds straight are suspect as well. I'm also not an artist by ANY stretch of the imagination, but it looks like he's doing sketch lines...and then he turns around the card and you see all the detailed lines? The curls in her hair braid? The lines of her face? None of those lines are represented in the 2 minutes he's talking to the camera while sketching. Furthermore, is it even humanly possible to do that detailed of lines while only stabilizing it with ONE HAND? So, his hands stay rigid on that card and he never alters or relaxes his grip. Then at 2:45 he shows everyone the card....notice anything about his fingers? https://i.imgur.com/F5T58KK.jpg How did he sketch under his curled fingers? That takes some talent!!! Look under his pinkie at the symbols on Leia's jacket. At what point during the previous 2:45 did he linger in that corner and do any small circular motions to represent the circular patches on her jacket? Did he ever slow down and draw in a rectangle down there for the patch either?

Now we get to what I think is THE MOST DAMNING part of the whole video, the 2m47s mark. Watch his right hand, WATCH ONLY HIS RIGHT HAND. As he drops the card and his hands he extends the middle finger of his right hand and swipes it down on the card. Here's a timelinked video to right before the moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTzVaanA-Vs&t=2m45s. He keeps the card out of frame for a bit and looks directly at it while he fiddles with he below camera. My guess? He has the finished piece with 2 "progress" pieces he's stacked on top of it. He shows stage 1, then swipes that piece off the top (probably just a piece of paper that's he's printed it/them on). Is there any other reason to swipe the card? Again, I'm not an artist, so why would you swipe your finger right across the middle of a sketch card you're working on?

Now we're on to phase 2. Notice at 2:58 how he again uses both hands to adjust the card. My guess is that he's lining everything up again so that he can turn it around in a few minutes and make it look like he's "progressed" on the sketch. He does this AGAIN at 3:44. Why do you need to squeeze the card like that? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTzVaanA-Vs&t=3m42s

At 4:56 he turns the progress "card" around again. Again, remember that his fingers never (hardly) moved...how did he do darker lines and shading under his fingers? At at 4:30 he starts doing a bunch of heavy shading that seems to take place at the top of the card.....but there's hardly any shading that happens there. Most of it is on her hair, but there's no point in the video where he would do the background shades and lines like what he reveals when he turns the card around.

Now we're on to phase 3, the "finished" card. Let's see what happens. Well, again after showing a "progress" on the card he dips the card out of frame. Not only that, but you can see him fiddling with it with his other hand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTzVaanA-Vs&t=5m5s. Again, my guess is that he slips the "progress" piece off the top of the "finished" piece, and now ALL he has left in his had is the "finished" piece.

So, remember how he adjusted the card at the start? Remember how he used two hands? Remember how tightly he held it? You'd need to be more careful and not move your hand around if you're holding 2 pieces of paper on top of cardstock and didn't want people to see that was what you were doing, right? So, how does Bob handle the card now that he's probably only holding the cardstock? Look for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTzVaanA-Vs&t=5m18s. He is very loose with it and only uses his left hand to adjust. He's very comfortable with the card now, where before he was rigid and careful with it. He also decides to NOW show you the back and how it's marked. He can do this now without risking the other pieces falling off the front of the card, which is why he probably didn't do it prior to this point.

First rule of slight of hand: always do the moves the same as if you were doing them the legit way. If I do a double lift, I do it the same way I do a single lift. If you're going to do a half-pass, make sure you fidget with the cards during the trick and do that move while lining up the stack during the trick. That way it doesn't look different when you do something different.

Sorry, Bob. I know you can see this, and I try to assume the best out of everyone. Sadly though, I can't assume that out of you. I know sleight of hand when I see it, even more when it's poor slight of hand. Selling them as artistic derivatives would have been fine with me, but trying to pass it off as legit hand drawn work is not cool.

Last edited by rawtashk; 08-04-2017 at 07:33 PM.
rawtashk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:29 PM   #69
Faulkenburg

Send a message via AIM to Faulkenburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBillustration View Post
They are not the ones on trial
Exactly. I look at them like whistle blowers, and they deserve the same protection.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:23 AM   #70
Zuelos

That 8 minute video is hilarious... All the artists that I know specialized in ultra-realistic portrait or images, need to work on a stabilized surface, and need a long time and do very precise, small movements so they can make the picture look almost real (search hiperrealism art in youtube).
And besides... I have seen the video at 2x speed. I haven't noticed he had to sharpen any pencil at any moment, did he? And the tips of all of them look always perfect, no matter he throws them away with no so much care...

Last edited by Zuelos; 08-05-2017 at 02:56 AM.
Zuelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:50 AM   #71
daviswr7

Plenty of fresh blood in this thread...welcome and pass the popcorn Bryan..
daviswr7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:51 AM   #72
richo

There is something of an ochlocracy in the world of cards isn't there.
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #73
Rockstar88

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo View Post
There is something of an ochlocracy in the world of cards isn't there.
i had to check that word up

och·loc·ra·cy
äkˈläkrəsē
noun
government by a mob; mob rule.

and yes, there is fraud amongst almost every business....with cards...it runs the gamut.....this....Dak...Florida Georgia Line....Odell....what's your favorite slight of hand? Only thing that will ever work is a class action lawsuit (gamblers would have to stop buying cards) and boycott....unfortunately, cards matter too much to too many people.....so far the most part....money wins...Panini/Topps
Rockstar88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:26 AM   #74
moistpaper

It's a ffaaaaake!
moistpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:45 AM   #75
ItsReggieMiller
Banned

Here's one I pulled from Topps 40th. Think I sold it on here or eBay, sorry buyer!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
ItsReggieMiller is offline   Reply With Quote