Best Sellers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 08-08-2017, 10:46 PM   #201
KandJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KandJ View Post
damn, I was going to go after this one on eBay. Thanks op for posting the link. Saved me some money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADAM-WEST-20...53.m1438.l2649
Wow, can't believe it's over $500
KandJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:51 PM   #202
jrosales

Quote:
Here's one that I drew (as opposed to printed from Photoshop) that someone has for much cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-LEAF-PO...75.c100623.m-1

Always open to discussing sketch card commissions. Please PM me for my availability.
jrosales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:05 AM   #203
dd316

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandns View Post
That time a sidewalk vendor was surreptitiously selling original Banksys for $25 each in Central Park nearly coincided with our first visit to NYC. We were there one week before that "happening" and walked through the very area of the park where they were sold, I think 5 in all. I like to think we'd have bought one, as a souvenir...
I was there THAT DAY for the Comic Con. While I didn't see the booth, I was only a block or so away at one point.

Quote:
My guess is somebody caught wind of Leaf providing a good replacement and that drove up the price.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #204
BlowoutBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bartowski View Post
This reminds me of Chasing Amy and Banky being an "Inker" as opposed to a "Tracer"
The moment.

BlowoutBuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:51 AM   #205
Vargaman

Looks as though Bob's facebook profile is either hidden, deleted, or he's blocked anyone who complained to his about their commission being faked.

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #206
JRCrosby

Not sure if this has been posted before, but Here's a recent podcast with Bob. I'd never heard of this guy before the recent incident so I was curious to listen.

Let's just say....wow........ Whatever you think of his art, my first opinion is blowhard.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...36a5e01cfaa2d0
Old 08-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #207
jjsmallvillelvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkenburg View Post
You mean you don't have a giant signed photo of yourself hanging in the den? I thought everyone had one...
Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Superman
jjsmallvillelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #208
jjsmallvillelvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super8er View Post
I know... just wanted to make sure people can separate the technique from the application... I was getting the impression from some posts here that the technique wasn't even considered art in their eyes.
It's simply this. No one is saying that is not a form of art, ok well some might be, but while it might be a form of art, it is not a sketch card.

If you did your technique on a card and called it sketch card, it maaaaay be accepted since the original photo was yours, but it still isn't really a sketch card.

Now if you did that and called it an ACEO it would be fine. Those can be made of anything. Paper, pictures, printings, transfers, etc. I have a card where an Alice silhouette was printed on to the card. Paper borders were added. And the background was painted in watercolor. It's art, yes. It's a card, yes. But it's not a sketch card. It's on my website with my Alice cards, but it is not with my sketch cards.

That's the difference. It has nothing to do with the deceit of the process, it's simply that it's not a sketch card.
Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Superman
jjsmallvillelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:13 PM   #209
Corky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCrosby View Post
Not sure if this has been posted before, but Here's a recent podcast with Bob. I'd never heard of this guy before the recent incident so I was curious to listen.

Let's just say....wow........ Whatever you think of his art, my first opinion is blowhard.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...36a5e01cfaa2d0
The people from the podcast are giving away one of Bob's cards on Twitter but apparently the card is a print of one of his "hand drawn" sketch cards. So basically they are giving away a print of a print. I sent a tweet to them about it and pointed them to here to read up on what the story is and then I tweeted Ryan Cracknell and asked if Beckett will be covering the announcement.

http://real-corky.deviantart.com/gallery/

Last edited by Corky; 08-09-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Corky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #210
mantis923

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky View Post
The people from the podcast are giving away one of Bob's cards on Twitter but apparently the card is a print of one of his "hand drawn" sketch cards. So basically they are giving away a print of a print. I sent a tweet to them about it and pointed them to here to read up on what the story is and then I tweeted Ryan Cracknell and asked if Beckett will be covering the announcement.
I'll jump in here... I also pointed out to the podcast that, in fact, Bob misrepresented what he did for the set. Bowman took the 1951 cards, colorized and filtered them to look "cool". Then they took modern players photos and applied the same "effects". Bob's ONLY job was to create twenty(20) 1/1 sketches based off of 20 players images he was presented by Bowman. The reprint cards are of the Bowman effect, not Bob's art. He has been going to shows, signing the reprint cards like he was the artist on THAT process. Uhh...No! The podcast host has no clue the firestorm that was/is happening when he interviewed Bob. Chalk it up to another lie... I have included a sample of Bowmans cards on the left and that guys art on the right(from his own website) Enjoy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	he.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	384029  
mantis923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:25 AM   #211
JRCrosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis923 View Post
I'll jump in here... I also pointed out to the podcast that, in fact, Bob misrepresented what he did for the set. Bowman took the 1951 cards, colorized and filtered them to look "cool". Then they took modern players photos and applied the same "effects". Bob's ONLY job was to create twenty(20) 1/1 sketches based off of 20 players images he was presented by Bowman. The reprint cards are of the Bowman effect, not Bob's art. He has been going to shows, signing the reprint cards like he was the artist on THAT process. Uhh...No! The podcast host has no clue the firestorm that was/is happening when he interviewed Bob. Chalk it up to another lie... I have included a sample of Bowmans cards on the left and that guys art on the right(from his own website) Enjoy...
I'd really like to see this Trout card up close....especially the face.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:33 AM   #212
Vargaman

I still want to know how he does tattoos...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 08-10-2017, 02:25 AM   #213
bradu

so all of this is new to me, somehow I missed it all initially but I'm now listening to the podcast. Curiosity brought me to youtube, and I looked him up. He posted a new video just a few hours ago titled 10 Minute Sketch By BC Hepner 2017 Princess Leia #1...

If there is any question at all about whether or not this guy is faking it, this video is pretty hard evidence that he is. Watch at about the 12 second mark, suddenly part of Leia's eye just pops onto the page while Bob's' hand is actually drawing over on the other eye! lol. You can actually see the image of leia showing up on the 'drawing' even when his hand is nowhere near the area that is being drawn in.

Unfortunately, he will probably see this post before any of you guys, and take down the video. Oh well.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:35 AM   #214
Angus Con

I saw it. It was as absurd as you said.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:41 AM   #215
1992UDFootball

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradu View Post
so all of this is new to me, somehow I missed it all initially but I'm now listening to the podcast. Curiosity brought me to youtube, and I looked him up. He posted a new video just a few hours ago titled 10 Minute Sketch By BC Hepner 2017 Princess Leia #1...

If there is any question at all about whether or not this guy is faking it, this video is pretty hard evidence that he is. Watch at about the 12 second mark, suddenly part of Leia's eye just pops onto the page while Bob's' hand is actually drawing over on the other eye! lol. You can actually see the image of leia showing up on the 'drawing' even when his hand is nowhere near the area that is being drawn in.

Unfortunately, he will probably see this post before any of you guys, and take down the video. Oh well.
Incredible.

The video appears to be "sped up" in order to hide the 'stop motion' truth. It's crazy that he even posted something like this.
1992UDFootball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:52 AM   #216
bradu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992UDFootball View Post
Incredible.

The video appears to be "sped up" in order to hide the 'stop motion' truth. It's crazy that he even posted something like this.
I believe what's actually happening here is he's got a blank white piece of paper over the already printed 'drawing'. The stop motion part is that he's pulling down the paper a bit at a time, showing more of the printed Leia underneath. This is just bonkers.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:01 AM   #217
Zuelos

Oh my god, when I thought this couldn't get better, BAM! This video is probably the best piece of modern humor I've seen... Special mention to that moment in 00:12, "A wild Left Eye of Leia appeared". This guy is awesome!
Zuelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:05 AM   #218
Obi-Dan

Wow, definitely points awarded for ingenuity. Not very convincing, though. There is an unnecessarily huge amount of tape around that paper. A few small tabs at the corners should have done the job. It would appear the purpose of the tape is to hide the edges of an opening cut into the board, and the "drawing" is attached to the backside of the board, with a clean white piece of paper sandwiched in between. As he moves the pencil down from top to bottom, the white paper is being pulled down to reveal the Leia image. I've never seen anybody draw like this, top to bottom in a side to side motion, like a printer head. I've watched a lot of speed drawers, and none of them do this. Also, if you zoom in close you can clearly see the straight edge of the paper moving down, revealing parts of the image that he hasn't even touched yet. It's also annoying and very telling that the "copy rites" text seems to have been added specifically to obscure what is going on, and even seems to follow his hand down the surface of the image. I can't wait for his next video, this is entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obi-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:27 AM   #219
harry lime

His latest video just shows the contempt he has for everyone. Still trying to fool us. Is anyone in any doubt after seeing this? What an idiot....
harry lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:16 AM   #220
tacoma34

Old 08-10-2017, 08:24 AM   #221
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma34 View Post
Also telling is that he disabled comments hahaha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old 08-10-2017, 08:40 AM   #222
Faulkenburg

Send a message via AIM to Faulkenburg

People have defended him, saying he has real talent but got lazy. This latest video makes me doubt that. It's obviously a fake, but why? By doing a video he has all he time in the world. Why post a video like this if you truly have the talent?

Also, I find it interesting that his method in this video is going from top to bottom, while in every other in progress picture he's shared it was an outline that became more defined. What artist completely changes their style?

I don't doubt that he can draw, but I doubt he has any skill in photorealism. I think each and every one has been faked, even at shows. All he has to do is come prepared with three or four in progress prints and switch them when no one is looking. I can't imagine he has someone at his booth every single second. It also explains the dramatic improvement in that one video stretched over two days.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #223
dcarado

I apologize as i am late to the party, but I have one of the Bowman sketch cards (on my eBay), which is supposedly hand-painted. So did he color-by-number these too? Not sure if I should take my listing down and contact Topps or what.

Side note, I had this listed a couple weeks ago and Bob contacted me and offered to exchange it for something on his website. Thought it was a little odd but didn't think anything of it.
dcarado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #224
jhssketchcards

I hate this is happening. For fans, collectors and everyone. I was first approached by Topps back early in the year to do this set of sketches. Everything was set and I was so excited since it would be a Walmart exclusive. I love drawing sketches and have enjoyed my time with Topps. I was injured in February and had to withdraw from the deal. I was devastated because I actually had a few started. I wish I could have been able to complete the cards. I hate that there is any controversy surrounding sketch artists but it is what it is. If Bob is lying it's bad. If he's not, it's still gonna be a stain until he proves without doubt that his process is legit. Topps needs to get involved at some point IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jhssketchcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #225
kevinb

Apparently he also fakes guitar solos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgZ7tvHfjCY
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote