Blowout Cards Forums
allen

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-03-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
texmcpherson

Default Is the hobby starting to trend to non auto RCís?

Iíve swayed from buying patches and autos so much outside of my Posey collection. I primarily buy non auto RC & pre RC of players I like with growth in value (Correa, Arenado, KB, Harper, etc). But browsing through the pickup threads each month outside of Bowman Chrome autos it seems to trend towards non auto RC with color variations. What do you guys think?

Donít get me wrong I still like autos and patches especially authenticated patches. But with all the products and same players it gets incredibly boring to me, becoming few and far between. Iíve grown to the chase of variations, color, etc.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
Hallco

Clectors are blaming the children
Old 04-03-2018, 01:00 PM   #3
Hollywood42

I think one factor is that 1st BC autos are starting to get ridiculously priced, even for mid tier players
Hollywood42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #4
Rookiemonster

Iíve been over patches even if they are game used. Auto are still hot. Iíve always like numbered rookies so I donít think thatís a new thing.
Rookiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
SirTommyWinAlot

Nothing beats an auto rookie but only if its from the most collected set. Most non auto rookies I collect are low numbered refractors (Heritage gold/black) but that's really it.
SirTommyWinAlot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:08 PM   #6
LVDan

BC FY autos will always be highly coveted no doubt but I personally see base RCs and rare parallels from Heritage and Flagship brands are gaining serious steam. I personally get a big thrill from finding and hoarding a rare base Topps black RC that rarely surfaces while every color of the BC rainbow is always avail via high BINs online. I know a lot of people feel similar about rare Heritage variations, especially from past years.
LVDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:16 PM   #7
Wrigs37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVDan View Post
BC FY autos will always be highly coveted no doubt but I personally see base RCs and rare parallels from Heritage and Flagship brands are gaining serious steam. I personally get a big thrill from finding and hoarding a rare base Topps black RC that rarely surfaces while every color of the BC rainbow is always avail via high BINs online. I know a lot of people feel similar about rare Heritage variations, especially from past years.
100% agree with this

Alex Lange 2017 1st BC rare color parallels (looking for the superfractor)
Wrigs37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:22 PM   #8
moosetequila

That's me, I like shiny refractors and prefer numbered. Love the mega box prospects, and like me some shiny RC's too! Color talks to me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
moosetequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #9
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

I’d still prefer to have the auto version of every key RC for my PC players whenever possible. Ideally, I’d prefer to get both versions, nicely graded, but that isn’t always feasible. But all other things being relatively equal, I’d still prefer the auto version, and would feel there was a bit of a hole in my collection without it.

I’m not at all saying that is or should be the majority view. It’s just how I personally feel at this point in time.

That said, I agree that autos for current even superstar players are nothing that special in general, as they are just so over-saturated right now. But on particularly meaningful cards, I still like them if I can get them.

Timing of this question is interesting for me, as about an hour ago, I used my eBay bucks to get a nice discount on a BGS 9.5 2015 Finest Bryant RC Auto. I’ve had a BGS 10 non-auto of that card for quite a while, but always regretted not snagging an auto version to pair with it. That card probably won’t excite a lot of folks these days, but getting it gives me a sense of collector completion that I didn’t quite feel before. Felt the same way about the 2015 Archives Bryant. Told myself for a long time that I didn’t care if I had the auto version, but I was lying to myself, which was fully confirmed by the feeling I got when I finally landed the auto version.

The patch stuff has never really done anything much for me. I have a few modest pieces with patches, but a lot of that stuff just doesn’t interest me for the money it costs.

Last edited by Darth Bryzzo; 04-03-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Darth Bryzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:45 PM   #10
ThoseBackPages

i still like Rookie Cards. being part of the #GetOffMyLawn generation, there is no need for them to be written on, have material in them OR be numbered.

i understand the people that have to have value in their RCs.

i also understand how cool it is to own RCs that most people can, and can discuss those with said people
are REAL!!!
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:46 PM   #11
Giancarlo27

I rarely buy Stanton non rookie autos/game used anymore. I stick to rookie cards and Topps Heritage cards. It certainly seems that there is a rapidly escalating trend away from the repeatedly produced auto/GUs to the definitively limited rookie year cards, even base issue.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #12
moosetequila

Autos are now like tattoos, everyone has them and there are nothing special now. Clean skin is becoming the in-thing...now clean cards!

moosetequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:52 PM   #13
texmcpherson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo27 View Post
I rarely buy Stanton non rookie autos/game used anymore. I stick to rookie cards and Topps Heritage cards. It certainly seems that there is a rapidly escalating trend away from the repeatedly produced auto/GUs to the definitively limited rookie year cards, even base issue.
My thinking exactly. They only have one rookie year. Other years arenít nearly as relevant. When people go back in 20+ years theyíre going to go for the RC and numbered RCís, theyíll hold & gain the most value
Old 04-03-2018, 01:53 PM   #14
Mister2Bits

I personally enjoy collecting Topps Flagship variation RCs over Bowman autographs/color but I know everyone has different flavors.

It does look like the Topps Flagship Black Parallel is increasing in popularity every year. Especially in Gem 10.
Mister2Bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:53 PM   #15
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetequila View Post
Autos are now like tattoos, everyone has them and there are nothing special now. Clean skin is becoming the in-thing...now clean cards!

Following the herd is a good way to find yourself hurtling over a cliff.
Darth Bryzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #16
Hallco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
i still like Rookie Cards. being part of the #GetOffMyLawn generation, there is no need for them to be written on, have material in them OR be numbered.
I sometimes reply in threads statements like..."Really nice card, I love the action shot...but why did they dd the extra ink on that one"? Generally they don't understand the question(or the reference)!
Old 04-03-2018, 02:01 PM   #17
smalltown

I've been over autos for a couple years now. They're not "special" like they used to be. I still like getting one of a player i'm chasing, but for me a non auto rc is more preferable. But i hope you all keep chasing the Autos - keeps the non autos down for me.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #18
bradical

Absolutely the shift is happening.

The baseball card market is taking a cue from the basketball card market, where rookie autographs have been so diluted that it has ruined them in most sets.

Rare, or even better, serial numbered rookies have sky-rocketed in value and collectability over the past few years.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:23 PM   #19
tkraft24

This is evident by the increased production of RC logo cards over the past several years.....whether it makes sense or not. Now every star rookie will have hundreds of inserts or Topps NOW cards with the RC logo when it used to be limited to base cards (or parallels of the base card).

The RC bubble is expanding nicely. I’m curious to see what happens to values once more superstars change uniforms.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #20
psd2k10

Do not be surprised if in the very near future we begin seeing bowman and topps boxes read: Find one auto and two low numbered refractors in every box.
psd2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #21
unclemonkey

From an aesthetics POV, most auto signatures are unattractive.

For me, autos are like found money and a commodity to flip.

I've been comparing Harper, Machado, Belly, and Judge.

Dollar for dollar (or pennies for dollar in this case), paper base and chrome has appreciated right along with a base auto.
unclemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:11 PM   #22
Stech36

I’ve found this to be true. 2015 Topps Chrome Kris Bryant color rc autos and color non auto rc’s are basically the same price. Blue Refractor auto = blue Refractor non auto.
Stech36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #23
LVDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stech36 View Post
Iíve found this to be true. 2015 Topps Chrome Kris Bryant color rc autos and color non auto rcís are basically the same price. Blue Refractor auto = blue Refractor non auto.
hs, that's shocking to me that they sell that high
LVDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:15 PM   #24
Stech36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVDan View Post
hs, that's shocking to me that they sell that high
Yeah itís insane. I think people just like the look of the non auto and itís kind of an iconic card these days.
Stech36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:15 PM   #25
nyjetsmets1

People like what they want to like
nyjetsmets1 is offline   Reply With Quote