2018 Big Baller

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 11-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #26
stewbacca

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
I think the problem with the Star Wars sets is too many EXPENSIVE sets in a row. When we were talking about 8 box cases of $60 boxes, many collectors have no problem buying a $500 case. However, the past 4 releases have all been 12 box cases of $80-100 boxes. $1000-1200 per case is way too much, especially since there have been 4 of these sets in just over a year.

The other issue is that collectors want value for the money they spend. The last 4 Star Wars sets have all dropped in price shortly after release because the content just wasn't there to support a $1000 case. So it's hard not to complain when another $1000/case set is announced a few months after the last one didn't deliver.
)

THIS-- A THOUSAND TIMES THIS-- A week after Jedi Legacy was released-- I could have gotten an extra case for the amount the price dropped on the 4 I bought-- I could understand a month or two later- but not within a week..- and 4 cases -48 boxes and I didnt get one Chewbacca card- or one non common autograph..

Plus the whole recent trend of 1 per box cards (which are actually one every other box cards (which are fine as a concept- -- but not a set of 30)-- and then make some so shortpacked-- you only get 8 to show up on ebay over a 3 month period (some of those medallion cards from GF2)-- if you are going to make them that rare-- at least number them so we know that .

And look at Topps-- several times they have told us its a hobby release only-- and then next thing you know-- retail releases-- with exclusive cards-- that Topps doesnt even "know" about..

And not to mention dud boxes-- ive been averaging almost one a case the past 4 releases-- and several of my Jedi Legacies-- had sealed empty packs of cards and one had no inserts whatsoever-- (no foils, no hits, absolutely nothing but base cards)

Or the ultimate SW Topps GF set that was supposed to be about every character-- (but had 6-8 cards of every single main character)-- unannounced SP alternate cards (never mentioned anywhere in the set notifications)- and then the travesty that was the 500.00 plate set with exclusive cards-- (that were then clearanced out several months later to sites) and the exclusive cards were pretty much reprinted in GF 2)--

Thats why I moan every new topps ultimate release--
stewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #27
monkeymcgee

Should be of interest to some of you...

Instagram
Old 11-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #28
aggie4ever

Wow, not a fan of the logos on those sketch cards! Sounded good in theory, although when I checked ebay for what the Marvel Now blank covers looked like, I saw that the logos took up like 1/3 of the cover. I hoped that UD would be smart enough to shrink them down, but doesn't look like they did. So much room lost on those sketch cards, hopefully some of the artists can make them work or find some way to work around them...
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #29
monkeymcgee

Yeah, that's a lot of real estate taken up. I know Charles can get away with painting over the logos, but I wonder if the other artists will get that option.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #30
Spider-Fan

I like them. Of course, I like the books so... I'm curious to see how sketch card artists work around the title. I'm actually a little excited
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:17 AM   #31
80s Showtime

Default Marvel Now

This set didn't seem like it did so well
Maybe it was a little ahead of its time since the Marvel NOW comics is still new and the people collecting cards aren't up to speed on the changes/updates. Perhaps it could be the set of the near future instead of right now and pick up some more fans as time goes by. It has some characters in it that, up to this point, you usually don't see in sets like Angela and Rocket Raccoon. Maybe it'll be a good product to pick up on the cheap and open later
80s Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:33 AM   #32
finfangfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s Showtime View Post
This set didn't seem like it did so well
Maybe it was a little ahead of its time since the Marvel NOW comics is still new and the people collecting cards aren't up to speed on the changes/updates. Perhaps it could be the set of the near future instead of right now and pick up some more fans as time goes by. It has some characters in it that, up to this point, you usually don't see in sets like Angela and Rocket Raccoon. Maybe it'll be a good product to pick up on the cheap and open later
Well, the comic industry currently reboots their key titles with new number ones every 3-5 years (sometimes even sooner than that!). So, I don't anticipate the Marvel NOW! brand having much longevity.

I do agree that this is a cool set to pick up cheap and will likely get cheaper on Black Friday.

Incidentally, your post could have just as easily fit in the other Marvel NOW! thread that you are participating in rather than bumping this 2nd one.

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/n...arvel-now.html
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote