Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 05-09-2018, 06:30 PM   #1
Speed Racer

Default Isola #2

For those fans of Isola from Image Comics, issue #2 hit stores today. It originally was solicited as having two covers (50/50 ratio) but there was a third variant cover announced after the Previews catalog that it was featured in originally came out. This update was via the Diamond website to retailers. The third variant cover has no text on it, its the same artwork as one of the other #2 variants but simply artwork only, no text at all. That "could" be the hardest of the three variants for issue #2 to find as sometimes stores forget to check the Previews update on the Diamond site. Just an FYI for those who are fans of the book.
Speed Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #2
Madadd

Thats gonna be a tuff one to find! Also a heads up if your an Isola fan Midtown has #1 signed by Fletcher and Kerschl 1 per customer.
https://www.midtowncomics.com/store/...gular+_1712456
Madadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #3
IndySportsCards

In 6-8 months this could prove to be a winner. GORGEOUS art, compelling story.. Reminds me of what happened with Monstress.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #4
Grza

I grabbed the Virgin and B cover - Karl Kerschl high on the all-time underrated artists list. Hopefully this gets him the recognition he deserves. Will be reading issue #2 tonight!
Grza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #5
Darth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madadd View Post
Thats gonna be a tuff one to find! Also a heads up if your an Isola fan Midtown has #1 signed by Fletcher and Kerschl 1 per customer.
https://www.midtowncomics.com/store/...gular+_1712456
Nice find. Anyway to get cheaper shipping?
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:09 AM   #6
Speed Racer

The signed #1 was when Midtown had the two creators in for a signing I believe the week it came out. I was surprised to see that Midtown or Things From Another World don't have that text-less virgin cover for issue #2 on their site. I checked my copy and it is the "We Believe Variant" in case anyone is searching for it. I only see a few on eBay presently, so if Isola does really take off, as it appears to be doing, this could be a sough after issue.

There was also a special color letter press available that was signed by the creators who bought $25 or more of Image titles via a Humble Bundle offer online earlier this year. This small print was signed, not numbered, and there were over 5000 made. There was also a special black & white variant letter head print (same image but just in black/white) that was made for the creators who then handed some out at their appearances before the book came out. I met both at Image Expo earlier this year and they hand them as well as a small cardstock promotional jumbo card of the first issue cover they were signing and handing out too. Super nice guys they are.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:35 PM   #7
Darth

FYI, looks like these were restock at midtown, but there are not many copies. There's like 7 at time of this posting.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:47 PM   #8
IndySportsCards

10/10 REVIEW!! on #2

I'm thinking this book is gonna sneak up on people.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:14 AM   #9
Darth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
FYI, looks like these were restock at midtown, but there are not many copies. There's like 7 at time of this posting.
Sold out. Thanks for the review!!
Old 05-17-2018, 10:48 PM   #10
IndySportsCards

Something you guys should know, at least about the #1 variant. 9.8's will be tough on this book. They used a very odd paper stock which shows rub VERY easily and will be difficult to press. I don't anticipate seeing a lot of 9.8's on this one. If it truly does follow the Monstress model and picks up a heavy fan base by issue 6, 9.8's of issue #1 variant are gonna pull in a premium due to what I perceive as being fewer 9.8's due to the condition, scarcity as well as oversized issue. All three make for tough grading in high grades on this book.

I had six, and only one of my was worthy of potentially reaching 9.8, and I got them straight from my distributor. Can't imagine what shelf copies are gonna look like.

I picked up a few more, but haven't seen them in hand yet. I truly believe this book could be a sleeper.

Last edited by IndySportsCards; 05-17-2018 at 10:50 PM.
IndySportsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:51 PM   #11
Speed Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Something you guys should know, at least about the #1 variant. 9.8's will be tough on this book. They used a very odd paper stock which shows rub VERY easily and will be difficult to press. I don't anticipate seeing a lot of 9.8's on this one. If it truly does follow the Monstress model and picks up a heavy fan base by issue 6, 9.8's of issue #1 variant are gonna pull in a premium due to what I perceive as being fewer 9.8's due to the condition, scarcity as well as oversized issue. All three make for tough grading in high grades on this book.

I had six, and only one of my was worthy or potentially reaching 9.8, and I got them straight from my distributor. Can't imagine what shelf copies are gonna look like.
Do you mean the first issue that appeared in that Diamond Previews update?
Old 05-17-2018, 10:57 PM   #12
IndySportsCards

No, I meant this one, the Variant for issue #1 - The paper stock is closer to what Vault used on Heathen and not the normal paper Image uses. It's more dense and harder to press and shows spine stress and ticks much more visibly.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:27 PM   #13
Speed Racer

Quote:
No, I meant this one, the Variant for issue #1 - The paper stock is closer to what Vault used on Heathen and not the normal paper Image uses. It's more dense and harder to press and shows spine stress and ticks much more visibly.
Yes that was the issue that did not originally appear in Previews when the first book was solicited, it appeared a few weeks later in a Previews Update on the Diamond website so it kind of went overlooked by retailers. I will check out my copies regarding the condition, mine too came straight from a Diamond box and didn't hit the shelves so they should be good but doesn't hurt to double check.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:43 AM   #14
IndySportsCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer View Post
Yes that was the issue that did not originally appear in Previews when the first book was solicited
Ah, no wonder it's much harder to find. That's a good thing if the book takes off!
Old 05-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #15
Grza

Quote:
Yes that was the issue that did not originally appear in Previews when the first book was solicited, it appeared a few weeks later in a Previews Update on the Diamond website so it kind of went overlooked by retailers. I will check out my copies regarding the condition, mine too came straight from a Diamond box and didn't hit the shelves so they should be good but doesn't hurt to double check.
Sweet, thats the one I grabbed off the shelf. This is such a great read, #2 was even better than #1.
Grza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:58 AM   #16
Speed Racer

Quote:
Ah, no wonder it's much harder to find. That's a good thing if the book takes off!
I agree, right now I would say that the first issue cover B (the one you referenced) and the "We Believe" virgin cover variant for #2 are the ones to get. The book is getting great reviews and with the first printing of #1 already sold out, hopefully #2 sells out. It would be quite nice if this was the next "Saga" but it's too soon to tell. I knew there was originally two covers for issue #2 solicitated in Previews but when the issue came out at my local store, I was surprised to see three copies of #2 in my box, as that We Believe virgin variant cover wasn't originally in that Previews catalog I don't think. Luckily she ordered some extra copies and knew I would want one.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:36 PM   #17
Darth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grza View Post
Sweet, thats the one I grabbed off the shelf. This is such a great read, #2 was even better than #1.
Same here. Lots of great potential. Will this be monthly or will be a long delay like Seven to Eternity?
Old 05-18-2018, 10:16 PM   #18
Speed Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
Same here. Lots of great potential. Will this be monthly or will be a long delay like Seven to Eternity?
When I spoke to both creators at Image Expo earlier this year before the first issue was released they certainly were excited for its release and were hoping it would be received well, they said the first story arc would go into 2019 but at that time, since the first issue hadn't come out, they were kind of in the dark how it would sell. They did sound like they are in it for the long haul but of course "depends on how well it sells". Now that the first issue sold out within a week of its release and getting great reviews I anticipate this book to be around for quite some time, I certainly hope it is too.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:04 AM   #19
Speed Racer

I just read that Isola #1 is going back to press for a 3rd printing due out in stores June 13th. Also Isola #2 first printing has sold out and a 2nd printing is due out in stores on the same date. If anyone can find those "We Believe" variant virgin cover for issue #2 at their local stores, you may want to pick them up as that was the rarest of the three covers for issue #2.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:24 PM   #20
MisterNatural

The "Prologue" print issue w/ the same cover as the C2E2 variant...where does that come from?
I assume it just reprints the backups from Motor Crush, which you can also read online for free, I think..
MisterNatural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:13 AM   #21
Speed Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNatural View Post
The "Prologue" print issue w/ the same cover as the C2E2 variant...where does that come from?
I assume it just reprints the backups from Motor Crush, which you can also read online for free, I think..
I knew there was a prologue to the story that appeared in the back of a comic (I assume Motor Crush as you mentioned) but I didn't know they had published the prologue itself in a standalone comic. I only know of it in Motor Crush and online I believe. I know there was a C2E2 variant but I assumed it was the first issue, I wonder if the C2E2 variant was in fact the prologue. There was also a C2E2 retailer summit variant for #1 too I believe with a B/W cover.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #22
MisterNatural

Quote:
I know there was a C2E2 variant but I assumed it was the first issue, I wonder if the C2E2 variant was in fact the prologue. There was also a C2E2 retailer summit variant for #1 too I believe with a B/W cover.
Here they are. So, they added "Prologue" to the cover and color looks a little different.
*It could be a Jetpack exclusive...they seem to be the only one selling them on ebay..

Old 05-20-2018, 02:52 PM   #23
Speed Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNatural View Post
Here they are. So, they added "Prologue" to the cover and color looks a little different.
*It could be a Jetpack exclusive...they seem to be the only one selling them on ebay..
Thanks for the info. So the pink color version with Prologue you think could be a Jet Pack exclusive while the tan color cover one was a C2E2 exclusive? Surprised how few are actually up on eBay.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:10 PM   #24
MisterNatural

Quote:
Thanks for the info. So the pink color version with Prologue you think could be a Jet Pack exclusive while the tan color cover one was a C2E2 exclusive? Surprised how few are actually up on eBay.
Hard to say...I don't see it on their website, but "jetpackcomicslc" seems to be the only seller on ebay selling the Prologue issue.
I went ahead and bought one(w/ #2A+B).
They seem to relist after a sale, so not sure how many they have..

Of course, you can read the prologue online for free here.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:08 PM   #25
Darth

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Isola-2-Vir...19.m1438.l2649

Looks like Isola 2 Virgin is selling about 17 dollars plus 6 dollar shipping now.