Blowout Cards Forums
2018 bb pre order

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #1
Branesergen

Default Question for Storage Locker Buyers and Furnture Flippers

So a couple weeks ago I found a free desk that I needed/wanted so I contacted the guy and went and picked it up. He was a realtor so came across stuff people left behind regularly so I told him to contact me if he comes across other stuff and I'll see if I'm interested in it. Yesterday I got a call that a guy has a storage locker full of furniture and knick knacks that he wants to get rid of. So I met the guy and this is what he has. He wants $600 for everything except the guitar cases, he is keeping those. I have no clue what is in the boxes tho there are some marked pans and books as well as some luggage. I've never sold furniture before so I'm needing help in if this is worth $600 and how hard would it be to move? Any info/help/opinions are appreciated. Thank you.

Outside looking in - There are 3 dressers (A smaller one on the top left, a junky walmart type one on the right and then hard to see is a large one with a roughly 4'x4' mirror. A desk under the boxes on the right and the whole thing that has me considering it is the 3 shelves against the back wall.

A granite top card table with 4 chairs and a coffee table:

One of the "legs" of the dest on the right:

The dresser on the top left:

2 of the 3 shelves along the back wall. The bottom I believe are drawers, all the stuff on the shelves is included:

The 3rd shelf:

The big dresser (under the sheet) and part of the mirror on top:

The mirror:

2 end tables:

What do you guys think? Is it worth the $600 and would it be hard to move?
Old 05-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
GeechQuest

If you have the space and the avenue's to sell it, you won't lose.

If you value your time, don't use FB Marketplace or Craiglist like apps, and don't have the storage space for it then it's likely not worth the hassle. To turn a profit is going to depend on how well you can move the knick-knack stuff. The big pieces could likely be moved in under a week for the right price, but may/may-not make you whole if you try to get rid of them immediately.
GeechQuest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
shrevecity

from the looks of it if I had the storage space I would be all in at 500(That is what I would offer) . I believe the furniture should do well, and there is enough potential in the other stuff left for me to be willing to take the risk.
shrevecity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:57 AM   #4
GeechQuest

I'll also say this (although my situation may be completely different than yours).

I don't have much storage space to hold big pieces like furniture, so when I've flipped this kind of stuff I've always asked myself "If I were to hold a garage sale, could I make my money back". I've moved furniture pieces at garage sales with ease (although lower prices generally).

So do I think I could get $600 at a garage sale for this stuff? I don't think so, so for me I'd walk.

Do I think I could make money with time put in? Absolutely!!!
GeechQuest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
byronscott4ever

Seems like he wants it gone so a ripe chance to bargain
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #6
TOMBB25

I'm out at 600, that is 70s/80s furniture, heavy and no one wants it. Plus he's taking a few things out, he knows what is in there and knows the hassle of selling the junk, I just don't see much value.

I sell furniture quite a bit, I have a garage that has a decent amount of stuff, but I pick and choose the high end furniture I flip, I'd avoid stuff like this all day long.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #7
Branesergen

I'm thinking of offering $400. I agree with the 70s/80s furniture as well. The story is his mother passed over a year ago in New Mexico. He packed it up and moved it here. He seems to think there is some collectibility to some of the knick knacks (special order ornaments to be exact) but we all know how that goes *coughjunkerawaxcough*.

My concern is - my only avenues to move it are local apps - letgo, offer up, next door and possibly craigslist (most likely not unless I'm desperate) and possibly ebay local pick up. As for storage - I have plenty tho I am anti social and despise the thought of people coming to my house so have pondered a $73 storage unit for 1 month tho with the responses here so far i may just suck it up and sell from home. Also I'm not opposed to a garage sale, well really a yard sale as i wont leave my garage open which i would also have my mother's stuff as well as cards and comics to supliment with.

I appreciate all the comments!

ETA - I will be doing it all myself as I am anti social and have no friends.

ETAA: The guitar cases are his supposedly. The guitars are at his house hanging on his wall in his music room, again - supposedly. Just another tidbit for thought.

Last edited by Branesergen; 05-23-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Branesergen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #8
kerg

My guess is the stuff has been gone through pretty solidly. I mean, the shelves look like they were staged. No one really stores stuff in their storage until like they just moved it from their house.

$600 seems high though... I'd pass. If you get at $400.. maybe.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #9
purejd86p

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMBB25 View Post
I'm out at 600, that is 70s/80s furniture, heavy and no one wants it. Plus he's taking a few things out, he knows what is in there and knows the hassle of selling the junk, I just don't see much value.

I sell furniture quite a bit, I have a garage that has a decent amount of stuff, but I pick and choose the high end furniture I flip, I'd avoid stuff like this all day long.
I would stay far away at $600!
purejd86p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #10
IndySportsCards

I wouldn't give him $50 for it. Not worth the headache IMHO.
IndySportsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #11
glen87

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerg View Post
My guess is the stuff has been gone through pretty solidly. I mean, the shelves look like they were staged. No one really stores stuff in their storage until like they just moved it from their house.

$600 seems high though... I'd pass. If you get at $400.. maybe.
agree - some empty boxes in top picture - top box looks like it has writing on it. boxes possibly gone through and all good junk gone, leaving only the bad junk.

i would not touch this at all
Old 05-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #12
Branesergen

Thanks guys. Some very valid points I hadn't thought of, especially the staged aspect of it. I think I'm going to bow out and let someone with better means possibly take it. Much appreciated!
Old 05-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #13
xbignick

My parents lived in the same apartment for 30+ years. Recently moved...and it had that furniture, almost exactly. One piece was an amazing, heavy wooden table barely used they bought for over $300 20 years ago. We threw it all out.

I wouldn't want to deal with it personally for might amount to a gain but a pain in the ass.

JOIN HERE: https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1231756[/B]
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:02 PM   #14
coltsnsox07

Dammit, just solid advice. No Storage Wars memes...
coltsnsox07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:07 PM   #15
JMarchand1981

Ask him to pay you for the amount of time it would take you to sell all this crap.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #16
IndySportsCards

One issue that would raise a red flag for me is the following.

This guy owns the locker and it's contents, yet from what I'm reading, he's trying to implement Storage Wars rules on you where you can't look at the items before buying them. I deducted this from you stating you don't know what's in the boxes.

Tell him if you wanted to blindly buy a locker of stuff, you'd go to an actual auction and roll the dice, but if this guy owns the locker, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to inspect it all before making a decision.
IndySportsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:46 AM   #17
Branesergen

I can inspect it. There was no stipulation. I just wasnt concerned with the little stuff. My biggest concern was at least making my money back on the big stuff quickly. If there was something big in the boxes, great! If not I was prepared to trash most of it.

I dont know squat about anything that's in there unless it's got some cards too lol Tho it is something id like to learn. It just popped up unexpectedly so I considered and asked the pros. If it wasnt for you guys I probably would have bought it thinking I could at least get $1000 for the furniture in a few weeks.

Last edited by Branesergen; 05-24-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Branesergen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:09 PM   #18
Tones

FT/FS Album: https://ibb.co/album/mSEtwF
Tones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:49 PM   #19
Dr kicker

Thanks for the memory`s, my first captain bed as a kid, the drawers looked just like that , 84-86 maybe
Dr kicker is offline   Reply With Quote