Blowout Cards Forums
Wave 12

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 11-08-2017, 02:05 PM   #101
hermanotarjeta

I love how MEllenials think that stealing is no big deal, like they also believe their netflix and iPhones are a constitutional right, as well as their belief that Lebron is GOAT.

There, now this thread has everything in it...
hermanotarjeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:05 PM   #102
jifengjeff

Had a ton of fun reading the posts in this thread lol. Does Lavar himself have multiple accounts here?
Old 11-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #103
DajuanWagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxrule111 View Post
I would argue this pretty strongly. I know a guy who got his Third DUI within a year in Illinois. Lost his License on his first, but still drives. So while the state acted, it didn't do anything because he still drives. No real punishment. Hes due in court in November to see how long hell go to jail, but he was still out with no real punishment.

I meant downstate Illinois. Not Chicago......I should have clarified.
DajuanWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #104
duwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyguy View Post
Lol people that want a kid to do 3-10 years for shoplifting.

First, not a kid. Couple weeks from his 19th birthday, old enough to vote in our political elections and serve in the military. Hopefully you didn't consider yourself a kid or child when you were 18 years old.

Second, not just him but anyone should learn and deal with the consequences of breaking laws in foreign countries, especially ones that give no tolerance to those trying to break them. It doesn't matter if it was Ball, if it was Ryan Lochte, if it was any other ADULT male or female. You do something stupid overseas you deserve to get punished by that countries rules and not the slap on the wrist people get here in the U.S. for such things like shoplifting
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #105
Soxrule111

Quote:
Originally Posted by DajuanWagner View Post
I meant downstate Illinois. Not Chicago......I should have clarified.
Ok

And I hope these guys do get a true punishment, even if its just a night in a foreign jail and miss the team activities and team flight.

But, I'm more interested to see if we ever find out who was the "Ring Leader" did ball say come on guys its easy lets go. Did they all do it first thought, was 1 pressured in.
Soxrule111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #106
Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
First, not a kid. Couple weeks from his 19th birthday, old enough to vote in our political elections and serve in the military. Hopefully you didn't consider yourself a kid or child when you were 18 years old.

Second, not just him but anyone should learn and deal with the consequences of breaking laws in foreign countries, especially ones that give no tolerance to those trying to break them. It doesn't matter if it was Ball, if it was Ryan Lochte, if it was any other ADULT male or female. You do something stupid overseas you deserve to get punished by that countries rules and not the slap on the wrist people get here in the U.S. for such things like shoplifting
I was definitely a kid when I was 18. Can't believe I survived actually.
Wings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #107
SteveO21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
I was definitely a kid when I was 18. Can't believe I survived actually.
Same here. In fact, I was still a kid when I completed my 4 years in the Marine Corps. Didn't start really growing up until I was about 25. Turning 18 doesn't magically make you a mature adult, no matter what rights you're granted at that age.
SteveO21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #108
Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO21 View Post
Same here. In fact, I was still a kid when I completed my 4 years in the Marine Corps. Didn't start really growing up until I was about 25.
Agreed, you don't realize how young you really were until years later.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #109
duwal

Quote:
It really is amazing how many people here are basically saying "yeah, China does it right. I wish America was more like China! Go China!" If this weren't Lavar Ball's kid I wonder how many people would feel so passionately that China should make an example out of an American citizen, especially about something like stealing a pair of sunglasses.
They are not "making an example of an American citizen", the sentencing that he might get goes for everyone that shoplifts in the country. But guess what? Many in that country are not dumb enough to do that because they know how stiff the penalty is. If someone did it here in the U.S. they might not even get jail time and guess what? Criminals here feel like there is no repercussions if they continue to shoplift or do other smaller crimes which unfortunately won't be changed in the future to harsher penalties like China's
Old 11-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #110
indyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post

Voting doesn't make you an adult. You didn't have these great politically informed opinions when you were 18. Also, serving in the military doesn't mean you aren't a kid when you go in. I served 8 years and I can tell you the 18 and 19 year old...even guys in their early 20s are still very much kids in the aspect that they are growing every single day to become the people they are supposed to be. So yes, at 18, I was still a kid. I'd be stupid to say otherwise.

I couldn't care less what the punishment in another country is. If he gets in trouble, then it is up to their legal system to decided that. I'm all for doing the time that fits the crime.

I'm referring to people openly rooting for a kid, yes, he's still a kid in many ways, to go to prison and do hard labor for years. I can't help the stupidity of others, so if there is an argument that anyone wants to make why they are rooting for this kid to do hard time, they can save their breath, because they are just unhappy with themselves and would rather bask in someone else's misery.

Last edited by indyguy; 11-08-2017 at 02:26 PM.
indyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #111
auctionjmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardstore View Post
ITs hilarious how clueless and reactionary some people on BO are but they’re so convinced that they’re right. No amount of rational thought will get through to them.
So why don't you provide a better solution to America's crime rate? If you are so convinced that harsh penalties for petty crimes won't solve the crime problem, then please tell us what will. Give me a rational thought and I'll back down. Until then, I'm sticking with my opinion that strong deterrents are the only thing that would truly stop crime, and our deterrents are not yet strong enough.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #112
ninjacookies

Quote:
The amount of pleasure some of you are getting from this story is disturbing.

The kids did something wrong. They should be punished for that but the punishment should fit the crime. People thinking these kids should get multiple years in prison in a foreign country or public beatings seem like they might have some issues themselves.
It really is fascinating the amount of glass houses built here solely as a function of peoples' disdain for Lavar. I mean, it's not even the kids doing the talking, it's their biological parent using his mouthpiece as a successful social media and business vehicle. Some people are just too dense to get that. To the point where they'll automatically discredit Lonzo's career as over, yet claim their own PC guy is a for-sure all-star despite beginning their career even worse. LOL.

I'd hate to see how many people screaming 'stone him,' are the same ones who didn't have the privilege of having a flawless criminal record extending back to their adolescent and early adult years. But it's the interwebz, so 'I'm Flawless like Panini's flagship release!' is to be expected.

It's crappy what he's allegedly done. Especially in another country where the laws are certainly far from lax. And he should own up to it if true.

But why stop at America adopting Chinese law...what about Malaysia! Heck, they make China look like a walk in the park. Public floggings for spitting gum out on the sidewalk. Boy, I bet nobody will do that ever again, amirite?
Make the world a better place via archaic punishment methods and fear.
But make sure to include a clause that they only apply to members of the Ball family. Because I don't like them.

Not like any of us has ever littered before, so nothing to worry about here, Captain.

I swear this is like the Kaepernick situation, but even more comical. I'm pretty sure some people actually lose sleep at night over this hatred.
ninjacookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:35 PM   #113
indyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
So why don't you provide a better solution to America's crime rate? If you are so convinced that harsh penalties for petty crimes won't solve the crime problem, then please tell us what will. Give me a rational thought and I'll back down. Until then, I'm sticking with my opinion that strong deterrents are the only thing that would truly stop crime, and our deterrents are not yet strong enough.
Question for you. You mention harsh penalties, but our prisons are stacked with first time drug offenders doing time. I don't have numbers or stats, but how long are you saying they should be punished if their time in prison isn't stopping a lot of people from being repeat offenders? What is going to be harsh enough to stop them from doing the same later?

Serious question.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:36 PM   #114
auctionjmm

Quote:
Voting doesn't make you an adult. You didn't have these great politically informed opinions when you were 18. Also, serving in the military doesn't mean you aren't a kid when you go in. I served 8 years and I can tell you the 18 and 19 year old...even guys in their early 20s are still very much kids in the aspect that they are growing every single day to become the people they are supposed to be. So yes, at 18, I was still a kid. I'd be stupid to say otherwise.

I couldn't care less what the punishment in another country is. If he gets in trouble, then it is up to their legal system to decided that. I'm all for doing the time that fits the crime.

I'm referring to people openly rooting for a kid, yes, he's still a kid in many ways, to go to prison and do hard labor for years. I can't help the stupidity of others, so if there is an argument that anyone wants to make why they are rooting for this kid to do hard time, they can save their breath, because they are just unhappy with themselves and would rather bask in someone else's misery.
IF the U.S. changed the law and made shoplifting a crime carrying 3-10 years in prison, how many kids do you think would be shoplifting a year from now? This isn't about ONE kid. This is about America's attitude towards crime versus China's attitude towards crime. Some of us are just saying that if America was tougher on petty crime, more serious crimes may be avoided. Kids would be trained at a very young age to respect everyone around them and not think that they ever have a right to steal, vandalize, or otherwise harm another person.

I'm not rooting for Ball to get 3-10 because he's an American who was raised on liberal attitudes towards crime. it's not his fault. But this case is certainly generating some good discussion on whether the U.S. is being too soft on crime to begin with.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #115
hermanotarjeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacookies View Post
It really is fascinating the amount of glass houses built here solely as a function of peoples' disdain for Lavar. I mean, it's not even the kids doing the talking, it's their biological parent using his mouthpiece as a successful social media and business vehicle. Some people are just too dense to get that. To the point where they'll automatically discredit Lonzo's career as over, yet claim their own PC guy is a for-sure all-star despite beginning their career even worse. LOL.

I'd hate to see how many people screaming 'stone him,' are the same ones who didn't have the privilege of having a flawless criminal record extending back to their adolescent and early adult years. But it's the interwebz, so 'I'm Flawless like Panini's flagship release!' is to be expected.

It's crappy what he's allegedly done. Especially in another country where the laws are certainly far from lax. And he should own up to it if true.

But why stop at America adopting Chinese law...what about Malaysia! Heck, they make China look like a walk in the park. Public floggings for spitting gum out on the sidewalk. Boy, I bet nobody will do that ever again, amirite?
Make the world a better place via archaic punishment methods and fear.
But make sure to include a clause that they only apply to members of the Ball family. Because I don't like them.

Not like any of us has ever littered before, so nothing to worry about here, Captain.

I swear this is like the Kaepernick situation, but even more comical. I'm pretty sure some people actually lose sleep at night over this hatred.
Typical MEllenial train of thought - the world is my garbage can.

If I throw my poopnini wrappers out of my car window, then it’s no longer my problem.

Typical.

FYI, I don’t litter, period. I wait till I find my garbage can and dispose of my poopnini commons there, never on the streets.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #116
auctionjmm

Quote:
Question for you. You mention harsh penalties, but our prisons are stacked with first time drug offenders doing time. I don't have numbers or stats, but how long are you saying they should be punished if their time in prison isn't stopping a lot of people from being repeat offenders? What is going to be harsh enough to stop them from doing the same later?

Serious question.
It's hard to answer that without numbers or stats. We'd have to know what the crime was (possession, intent to sell, etc.), what the drug was (marijuana, heroin, opioids), what the sentence was, and then what the recidivism rate was. You'd obviously be looking for whatever sentence produced the lowest recidivism rate. That's where the conversation on new laws would have to begin. I'm not pretending that we can solve crime overnight but I do think we could deter crime with adjustments to how people were penalized.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #117
indyguy

Quote:
IF the U.S. changed the law and made shoplifting a crime carrying 3-10 years in prison, how many kids do you think would be shoplifting a year from now? This isn't about ONE kid. This is about America's attitude towards crime versus China's attitude towards crime. Some of us are just saying that if America was tougher on petty crime, more serious crimes may be avoided. Kids would be trained at a very young age to respect everyone around them and not think that they ever have a right to steal, vandalize, or otherwise harm another person.

I'm not rooting for Ball to get 3-10 because he's an American who was raised on liberal attitudes towards crime. it's not his fault. But this case is certainly generating some good discussion on whether the U.S. is being too soft on crime to begin with.
And I don't care what the penalty is. You have completely missed the point of what I said. If the penalty is X it is X, done deal. I'm talking about people...ah screw it...people don't read.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:44 PM   #118
Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post

If I throw my poopnini wrappers out of my car window, then it’s no longer my problem.

Typical.

FYI, I don’t litter, period. I wait till I find my garbage can and dispose of my poopnini commons there, never on the streets.
I can't stand MEllenials, they always have sex on my lawn.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:47 PM   #119
auctionjmm

Quote:
And I don't care what the penalty is. You have completely missed the point of what I said. If the penalty is X it is X, done deal. I'm talking about people...ah screw it...people don't read.
I read every word you said. I'm not sure what you are getting at.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:48 PM   #120
duwal

Quote:

Serious question.
Maybe it doesn't even really have to do with the time that is spent in prison but more the environment and experience that it would be to spend time in American jails. Right now its a near consensus that most large prison facilities are cake walks and they think its nothing to spend 3 months, 6 months, etc. in prison which is why a lot of these first timers will return quickly after they get out.

Within three years of release over two thirds (67.8%) of released inmates were rearrested. Within 5 years that increases to 76.6%. More than half incarcerated inmates (56.7%) were arrested again within their first year after release.

Now how many people would change their mentality of breaking the law for stuff like shoplifting, breaking into cars, mugging, drug selling, assault, etc. if the sentencing could be several years instead of several months? We know there is the saying 'you can't fix stupid' but I'm sure there are many that would reconsider their actions
Old 11-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #121
glen87

Quote:
Define “tough laws” you can’t just google “countries with tough laws” and say backfire lol. Tell me what the criminal penalty for shoplifting is in Japan.

The fact is, you just did a google search but you really still have no clue what you’re talking about.
forget about shoplifting - go to singapore and get convicted with 15 grams of heroine - DEATH (mandatory sentence)

shoplifting in singapore is a serious offense

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng
Old 11-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #122
jcardstore

Quote:
Most of the "kids" who are shoplifting, committing petty crimes, etc... Have a broken home life, single mom, drug addict parents etc... you can't fix that. You can't just magically make people, who never wanted to have kids in the first place, and don't have the means to support them, better parents.

In my opinion it has to start with our broken education and welfare systems. I don't want to get political here but it's hard to avoid when talking about things like this.

America's educational system sucks. There's really no other way to put it. You keep kids off the streets and committing petty crimes by creating an environment at school where they feel supported. More extra curriculars, get them involved in sports, clubs etc...

The vicious cycle will never change as long as people have the "I go to school because I have to" attitude.

On top of all that, American prisons are not designed to rehabilitate inmates and reform them. The recidivism rates are horrendous in America without looking at the number in front of me
The Alchemist, Napoleon Hill mixed with Deepak
jcardstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #123
ninjacookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post

Typical.

Yeah. I bet you've never littered before in your life. Because Mr. Perfect.

I guess the exaggerated analogy went way over your head. Typical millennial lack of concept recognition.

Heck. I'm all for public execution for adulterers. Why can't we be more like Afghanistan?

Then approximately 1/4th of us would currently be without a biological parent.

But hey, kill the root of the problem and make sure others think twice before taking that coworker out to a deserted back alley during lunch break.

MAGA!
ninjacookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #124
hermanotarjeta

Quote:
Most of the "kids" who are shoplifting, committing petty crimes, etc... Have a broken home life, single mom, drug addict parents etc... you can't fix that. You can't just magically make people, who never wanted to have kids in the first place, and don't have the means to support them, better parents.

In my opinion it has to start with our broken education and welfare systems. I don't want to get political here but it's hard to avoid when talking about things like this.

America's educational system sucks. There's really no other way to put it. You keep kids off the streets and committing petty crimes by creating an environment at school where they feel supported. More extra curriculars, get them involved in sports, clubs etc...

The vicious cycle will never change as long as people have the "I go to school because I have to" attitude.

On top of all that, American prisons are not designed to rehabilitate inmates and reform them. The recidivism rates are horrendous in America without looking at the number in front of me
Yeah, that poor Ball kid, driving his Lamborghini, not knowing any better that stealing is a crime.

Most poor, beaten people are honest folks. They still have the honor to not steal.

Most petty thefts are committed by entitled millennials, who steal cause they got “nuthin better to do”.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #125
SPauthentic84

Right or wrong, it does put into consideration how 2 world leaders deal with crime. It makes me wonder how things would be different if the punishments served as a determent for crimes like stealing instead of slaps on the wrist.

The one part that bothers me a bit is seemingly how forgiving (or kind of enabling) people are commenting on a wealthy kid stealing louis v glasses.

Outside of the "stealing a loaf of bread if you are hungry" dilemma, when is stealing ok? That is one of the most clear cut "wrong" crimes there are that most learn at a young age.