Blowout Cards Forums
May Flowers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-22-2018, 01:05 AM   #26
trask7

I did my first show since moving to Hawaii and I was pretty pleased with the outcome. I want to first say I have setup at 30 shows over the years and I do it just for fun. I can not believe how nice dealers and people attending the show are.

I took my boys and let them run all the sales (they are 11 & 10). We priced every single card except a box that was 25 cents a card. I told them all prices are just a starting point and negotiate with the people.

We had some real nice cards to include a logo man, flawless, and tons of autographs. Most of the sales were with other dealers. I did go through some old boxes and pulled out some finest Lebron refractors (blue and green) that I had for years. I was shocked they were so expensive but a dealer jumped all over them.

I was impressed with how my boys handled sales and go adults interacted with my boys.

What noticed from buyers:
Most were looking for cards to grade and after looking through the cards most just moved on (I am glad they put back 2 Acuna Mega for $10 each).
Dealers were eager to buy at very low prices but reasonable.
I sold no high end cards and most people just looked and passed without trying to negotiate. I priced all my cards at last lowest sale on eBay, if it seemed legit. I just turned around the last few weeks and sold most of those card won eBay and after the sales, I checked the sales against my prices on cards and they were almost all with in 5% of what I was asking.
I had every sport but go figure that nobody in an island wants Hockey. Basketball sold the best and the 25 cent box made a killing. The box was all baseball rookies for 2016/17, to include Judge and Bellinger. Topps, Topps Update, Heritage, Topps chrome.
My only complaint was that I organized by sport and were clearly marked. A majority of people made no effort to put them back in the right spot.
I also bring treasure Hunt hot wheels and give them away to kids. I also gave a Super Treasure Hunt to a guy I know.
This is no business for me and I enjoy talking sports with others. Kids are the future so I make sure to give them cards and toys.
trask7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:25 AM   #27
Uwfootball1

One thing I really dislike, is when a dealer has no idea if he has anything. Not saying he needs to know any particular players tho it would be nice as a supercollector but even knowing if he has certain teams so I have a place to start my search. This has happened a few times with dealers who have just said its all piled there take a look and let me know If I have anything you need, prices on each card.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:27 AM   #28
blaze

That every table basically has the same dumb prospect cards. As a Twins collector, there is rarely ever a point to look around at a card show.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:01 AM   #29
TheFreeShipper

Cards boxes packed so tight that I feel like Iím damaging cards to make room to see some.

People lining up outside like itís Black Friday or waiting for a cup of mulligatawny.
TheFreeShipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:06 AM   #30
Detblkraven55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFreeShipper View Post
Cards boxes packed so tight that I feel like Iím damaging cards to make room to see some.

People lining up outside like itís Black Friday or waiting for a cup of mulligatawny.
No soup for you !!
Detblkraven55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:30 AM   #31
oldgoldy97

I haven’t been to a show in years. I thought that’s why we had the internet.
oldgoldy97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:35 AM   #32
solt0131

I'm setting up with all dime cards and to much dismay, they are all mixed up by sport but there are tons and tons of cards in there worth buying for 10 cents, so I guess it's on the buyer to find them. If I organized them by sport, would I sell more? Yes. But there are also people that love to dig and dig and dig........

So my question is this - If you come across loaded dime boxes, do you mind mixed sports or will you just move on?

Thanks.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:48 AM   #33
Big35Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
I'm setting up with all dime cards and to much dismay, they are all mixed up by sport but there are tons and tons of cards in there worth buying for 10 cents, so I guess it's on the buyer to find them. If I organized them by sport, would I sell more? Yes. But there are also people that love to dig and dig and dig........

So my question is this - If you come across loaded dime boxes, do you mind mixed sports or will you just move on?

Thanks.
I will move on. I have zero interest in anything other than baseball cards.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:49 AM   #34
Jbjeeplj

1) No pricing. I get the argument that no pricing allows for better negotiation. However, I don’t come to card show with a huge budget, so it’s annoying to have to ask how much each card I’m interested in costs.

2) No organization. There are a hundred ways to organize a table, but dealers should have some sort of method to the madness. Mixed boxes with no pricing is a pass for me.

3) Its on the buyers as much as the sellers, but it’s annoying when someone stands and has a lengthy, non-transaction related conversation at the table when you are trying to look. We all like to stop and talk, but when people stay there and block anyone else from seeing for 20-30 mins when they are other people trying to browse it’s inconsiderate.

4) It’s just a small pet peeve, but wen I’m selling, I don’t like other dealers coming to the table when I’ve just got there and trying to set up and start negotiating. I don’t mind them looking or buying, but when they come up and start stacking up cards asking for best price, and I still haven’t gotten the chance to get organized, it gets tedious.
Jbjeeplj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #35
tkraft24

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post

Thanks.
If you offer good buys for a dime then word will get out amongst the bargain hunters and theyíll pick through everything. Ideally you find someone interested in taking all the leftovers at the end of the show.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:27 AM   #36
bravesfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by djolley86 View Post
I know exactly which two guys you are talking about! The younger guy I believe is qcsportscards (or something like that) on eBay. Always wears a Redskins shirt. He has great prices, and was consistent with, or beating most online prices today. He's really the only one I buy from anymore, and is super nice.

The guy who sells the searched packs/boxes is such a scumbag. It's the Yankees guy, isn't it? He's notorious for that. Sets up in the same spot on the left corner every time. My buddy and I noticed a few years ago that he had multiple boxes of Museum open, with different colored price labels on each. Obviously had been searched/weighed, and he "reseeded" them into the open boxes to appear that they had just come from a fresh box. He also stands over little kids as they're checking out his stuff, and is such a prick if they touch anything. He sucks.
John does not search his boxes as he opens zero product unless the box is down to the last pack or two (and he rarely does that). Iíve opened plenty of single packs from him and the hits are still there. Iíve seen some people hit $1k+ cards out of his single packs. When he gets down to the last few packs, he will also open a fresh box for people in case the hit in the other box is already gone (he has done this for me before). If he knows the case hit was pulled by someone, he will tell a customer and may open a fresh box (he has done this for me before).

As to him standing over kids, Iíve been at his table shooting the breeze NUMEROUS times when a group of 3-4 kids will run up and try to finger bang all the packs looking for the hit. One will do it while the others try to block Johnís view. I would be the same way if this happened to me.

Not trying to be rude or anything to you, but Iíve known John well for over 10 years now and donít appreciate someone calling him out on a forum for something he doesnít do with no proof. Us in the South may not be used to his attitude as he is a full-fledged Northerner, but he is one of the nicest people in the show when you actually talk to him.

Bowman Chrome prospector and collector. I absolutely, 100%, will not ship outside of the US.
bravesfan#1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:34 AM   #37
Bulls90s

I went to a card show about a yr ago for the first time in 2 decades and couldnt believe the show was so outdated..same ol' stuff..just all junk..never again.
Bulls90s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #38
Big35Hurt

Forgot to mention one - dealers who know you collect a certain player and try to push those player's cards on you every time you see them. This despite having told said dealer that I have specific requirements (well-centered, PSA graded). Every damn time I see this guy he seems to forget what I have told him over a dozen times.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #39
nickha2

When dealers are selling for 2x ebay price but when you try to sell to them they look up ebay sales and take 10% off lowest sale as if we don't have access to the coveted ebay sold area.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #40
sbib

Dealers with stale inventory - it looks like they have used the same cards for every show for the past 20 years
sbib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:31 AM   #41
Peties Army

The Beckett stuff is annoying because I know I’m not getting a deal done but the Ebay stuff I find rude. If you have a card you should have an idea what it sells for not have to go to a website.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:31 AM   #42
djolley86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan#1 View Post
John does not search his boxes as he opens zero product unless the box is down to the last pack or two (and he rarely does that). Iíve opened plenty of single packs from him and the hits are still there. Iíve seen some people hit $1k+ cards out of his single packs. When he gets down to the last few packs, he will also open a fresh box for people in case the hit in the other box is already gone (he has done this for me before). If he knows the case hit was pulled by someone, he will tell a customer and may open a fresh box (he has done this for me before).

As to him standing over kids, Iíve been at his table shooting the breeze NUMEROUS times when a group of 3-4 kids will run up and try to finger bang all the packs looking for the hit. One will do it while the others try to block Johnís view. I would be the same way if this happened to me.

Not trying to be rude or anything to you, but Iíve known John well for over 10 years now and donít appreciate someone calling him out on a forum for something he doesnít do with no proof. Us in the South may not be used to his attitude as he is a full-fledged Northerner, but he is one of the nicest people in the show when you actually talk to him.
I understand you are trying to defend a friend, but others do not have that impression and have seen otherwise at the show. We can agree to disagree here. You can buy from him, and Iíll choose to spend my money elsewhere based off of what I have observed.
djolley86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:31 AM   #43
patchgenie

the guy standing in front of the boxes chatting the dealer up
no prices on the cards
people using the beckett mag. i've only bought once from a guy using that.
patchgenie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:39 AM   #44
nflfans4ever

Beckett Value...
RIP MR.JEAN B…LIVEAU
nflfans4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #45
7nohitter

The Standoffish/#@#@#@#@#@#@#@ dealer.
Don't snort at me.
Don't act bothered that I'm asking you a question.
Do not ask me who I collect, have me tell you Nolan Ryan, for you to pull out that god damn sealed 1991 Pacific set. GTFOH.

Fortunately, the good guys outnumber the bad...but man, those bad ones make an impression. I'm 42 now and still remember a friggin jerk from a BC High show back in 1991.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #46
WaxHeaven

I have no card shop in my city or ANYWHERE near by so I drove an hour and a half to a the Tampa Sports Card Show and while some of it was nice and organized it, several tables had boxes with all sports and years mixed. At least 20 5,000 ct. boxes. I didn't even bother looking. Also, some dealers could really brush up on their customer service skills.

I didn't see neckbeards or smell bad odor.
WaxHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #47
Skipscards

Thereís not enough of them.

Sometimes it is astounding that we are able to persist in a world so full of morons.
Skipscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:28 AM   #48
Hallco

I have only been to one(about 4 years ago) since the mid 90s. The biggest issue was the dealers lack of understanding about condition on cards older than 1980. Ok, you have a Fisk Rookie, great. It's off-center, has a small crease and has all rounded corner...it's NOT worth $100! This happened at 3 different tables with similar cards from the 60s and 70s
Old 04-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #49
notoriousrmb

Boxes of yellowed, dirty toploaders.

Too much graded/prospect stuff. I can get a graded (insert name of latest hype) on eBay. I come to shows to find something unique.

Anyone who claims they are entitled to a discount because they are a "dealer". I don't care who you are, I'll gladly discuss prices with you, but don't act like I owe you anything because you want to make a buck on what I sell.

Last edited by notoriousrmb; 04-22-2018 at 10:53 AM.
notoriousrmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:02 AM   #50
Sportnut08

You can snag great deals from those who like to go by Beckett Value though. It’s not all bad
Sportnut08 is online now   Reply With Quote