Blowout Cards Forums
powerful coupons

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > Sports & Politics

Notices

Sports & Politics This section is for all political sports talk. Regrettably we feel that in some instances there is no way to eliminate politics from football, basketball, and baseball hobbytalk. Do you pretend nothing is happening with the Warriors, Steelers, A's, etc? This section is for all political sports discussion. However, it is for civil discussion only. No insults aimed at members, political parties, or politicians will be tolerated. There is no warning. If you cannot be civil, you will lose your posting privileges on this site.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:36 AM   #26
preakness

Can we all agree that soccer blows?
Old 03-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #27
duwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by preakness View Post

nope......
Old 03-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #28
kerg

Guess I missed some good stuff between the banning and the can't we all agree post...
Old 03-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #29
ksemmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainerkev View Post
There are parents that would not care if you told them that there is no doubt, 100%, your child will suffer brain damage from playing tackle football.

First let me start by saying that football is a game. A game. The free world is not dependent on footballs existence.

The average youth football helmet weight ~4lbs. I am not going to get into specifics, because i know it will anger the very people that will probably mock this post, but that 4lbs is too much. A child can not carry a 4lb weight on their neck and have the ability to see what is coming from all sides. When you don't see what is coming, concussion occur. A concussion to a developing brain is very detrimental. It effects more than just football, it effects how these kids can participate in school, which is the most important thing for kids this age. There is no one on-site of youth athletic football games that can diagnose concussions, refer parents to the proper medical providers, or even hold the kid out of the rest of the GAME with the proper education or intention to justify it. To carry that helmet and be able to react to the surroundings at every direction (something that even most NFL players can't do) a neck needs to have fully matured musculature with additional strengthening. Does your youth football program do that? If they do, is it enough? The answer is no, to both.

Recent research shows that it is not the concussions that cause earlier onset of brain disease, it is repetitive microtrauma, something that is absolutely unavoidable in the game of football. If your kid plays on the offensive or defensive line, they are going to get some kind of brain damage if they play football, plain and simple, fact. If they play any other position you are banking on luck over a long period of time, and if you buy cards you know that doesn't exist.

I have been an athletic trainer for a high school my entire professional life, and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that i would NEVER let my son play tackle football. I have seen what I suspect to be high school age football players with CTE and it is heart-breaking. The families of these students choose not to pursue any evidence that their kids have CTE because of the culture of football, they defer symptoms as depression, anxiety, etc, but the meds and therapy don't help, why? It is football, "a tough game, that my son will play because I played it and it helped make me a man". That is BS. What would a CTE diagnosis mean to these people? Could they have done this to their child? Is an 8 year-old mature enough to make their own life decisions? Hell NO! They will play tackle football if you sign them up.

My solution: First off let me say I would never allow my son to play tackle football on any level. Full-pad flag football until the 9th grade level. The kids spend the early years of their lives learning technique, take the head out of football as much as you can ( spoiler: you can't for O and D Line). This way when they get to 9th they have become familiar with proper technique and have built up some neck strength. 9th graders play with 9th graders, you have to graduate from that level to move on, an equal playing field is crucial.

Reality: $$$$$$$$$ drives this games survival. High schools and colleges are funded for all sports by their football programs. They know that they are not doing enough, but the $$$$$ justifies the ignorance to them. Not if its my kid, they won't be around in 20 years. The youth activity is going nowhere. Why is it that Rugby and Hockey at a youth level are played without collision? Are those sports any less violent?

If you took the time to read this, thank you. I am here if you have questions. My career focus is in this research.

So every kid that has ever played offensive or defensive line at any age for any period of time WILL have brain damage?
Old 03-06-2018, 03:50 PM   #30
13goyankees13

I think a lot of concussions could improve with better technique. So many guys lead with their head when running or tackling and put themselves at risk. The longer you wait to teach tackling technique, the more players get used to what they do in flag football and the harder time they'll have learning the safe and proper way to do things.

I know USA Football is partnering with Tip Of The Spear to try to teach better techniques for contact to avoid head injuries. I don't know enough to say how good their techniques are but I'm sure they're better than what the average youth coach is teaching. I'd like to see leagues set rules about technique that ban anything dangerous. Football loves to punish people for doing things dangerous to others but is fine with players putting themselves in danger due to poor technique. I'd like to see leagues create penalties for players who put themselves in danger (for example, leading with the head) and start throwing players out and suspending them if they do it repeatedly.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:21 PM   #31
pingbling23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerg View Post
Guess I missed some good stuff between the banning and the can't we all agree post...
Yeah, what happened?
Old 03-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #32
Firerunner4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingbling23 View Post
Yeah, what happened?
He got banned from a baseball thread where he went off the rails slamming people, then Houdini chimed in about his 2nd account

Nothing exciting happened in here

PC - https://www.flickr.com/photos/79406817@N02/albums/72157684402171443
Old 03-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #33
duwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksemmel View Post
So every kid that has ever played offensive or defensive line at any age for any period of time WILL have brain damage?

Well we have to remember kids playing throughout in Pop Warner, high school and junior high school are not playing with the pro style quality equipment, especially helmets. All it takes is one concussion and it creates a domino effect of each one getting easier. I had my biggest concussion in the 2nd grade that knocked me out and put me in the hospital. Playing hockey in my early twenties I know of at least two other ones I had. 40 now and still have powerful migraines every couple weeks. Don't really think anyone can go through life without some kind of bump, hit or trauma, be it ever so small, to the brain. Some positions in some sports it would be near certain that some type of brain damage would occur that could effect their quality of life down the road
Old 03-06-2018, 08:02 PM   #34
ksemmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
Well we have to remember kids playing throughout in Pop Warner, high school and junior high school are not playing with the pro style quality equipment, especially helmets. All it takes is one concussion and it creates a domino effect of each one getting easier. I had my biggest concussion in the 2nd grade that knocked me out and put me in the hospital. Playing hockey in my early twenties I know of at least two other ones I had. 40 now and still have powerful migraines every couple weeks. Don't really think anyone can go through life without some kind of bump, hit or trauma, be it ever so small, to the brain. Some positions in some sports it would be near certain that some type of brain damage would occur that could effect their quality of life down the road
TrainerKev said, “If your son plays on the offensive or defensive line, they are going to get some kind of brain damage.”

That is a huge yet very vague claim. I enjoy reading studies on sports, but by his post, I think his “study” was designed to find something he was looking for rather than being neutral to actually study tests. I find it hard to believe every single kid that has ever played the line has brain damage.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:30 AM   #35
LCM1223

Hope TrainerKev's in a better place, enjoying his smoking hot wife.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:53 AM   #36
pingbling23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCM1223 View Post
Hope TrainerKev's in a better place, enjoying his smoking hot wife.
What am I missing here?
Old 03-07-2018, 11:58 AM   #37
LCM1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingbling23 View Post
What am I missing here?
Post 32 of this thread

And here's the corresponding thread

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1193979
Old 03-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #38
pingbling23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCM1223 View Post
Post 32 of this thread

And here's the corresponding thread

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1193979
Gotcha. Wow what a character.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:16 AM   #39
quackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astros19 View Post
If that's the case, where do you draw the line?
So many sports, or just playing on a playground could be just as likely to cause a concussion.
Granted moreso in football, but still do we need to wrap our kids in bubble wrap every morning?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2018, 12:07 PM   #40
Blue_Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by preakness View Post
not even remotely
Old 03-09-2018, 09:41 PM   #41
dfr52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainerkev View Post
There are parents that would not care if you told them that there is no doubt, 100%, your child will suffer brain damage from playing tackle football.

First let me start by saying that football is a game. A game. The free world is not dependent on footballs existence.

The average youth football helmet weight ~4lbs. I am not going to get into specifics, because i know it will anger the very people that will probably mock this post, but that 4lbs is too much. A child can not carry a 4lb weight on their neck and have the ability to see what is coming from all sides. When you don't see what is coming, concussion occur. A concussion to a developing brain is very detrimental. It effects more than just football, it effects how these kids can participate in school, which is the most important thing for kids this age. There is no one on-site of youth athletic football games that can diagnose concussions, refer parents to the proper medical providers, or even hold the kid out of the rest of the GAME with the proper education or intention to justify it. To carry that helmet and be able to react to the surroundings at every direction (something that even most NFL players can't do) a neck needs to have fully matured musculature with additional strengthening. Does your youth football program do that? If they do, is it enough? The answer is no, to both.

Recent research shows that it is not the concussions that cause earlier onset of brain disease, it is repetitive microtrauma, something that is absolutely unavoidable in the game of football. If your kid plays on the offensive or defensive line, they are going to get some kind of brain damage if they play football, plain and simple, fact. If they play any other position you are banking on luck over a long period of time, and if you buy cards you know that doesn't exist.

I have been an athletic trainer for a high school my entire professional life, and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that i would NEVER let my son play tackle football. I have seen what I suspect to be high school age football players with CTE and it is heart-breaking. The families of these students choose not to pursue any evidence that their kids have CTE because of the culture of football, they defer symptoms as depression, anxiety, etc, but the meds and therapy don't help, why? It is football, "a tough game, that my son will play because I played it and it helped make me a man". That is BS. What would a CTE diagnosis mean to these people? Could they have done this to their child? Is an 8 year-old mature enough to make their own life decisions? Hell NO! They will play tackle football if you sign them up.

My solution: First off let me say I would never allow my son to play tackle football on any level. Full-pad flag football until the 9th grade level. The kids spend the early years of their lives learning technique, take the head out of football as much as you can ( spoiler: you can't for O and D Line). This way when they get to 9th they have become familiar with proper technique and have built up some neck strength. 9th graders play with 9th graders, you have to graduate from that level to move on, an equal playing field is crucial.

Reality: $$$$$$$$$ drives this games survival. High schools and colleges are funded for all sports by their football programs. They know that they are not doing enough, but the $$$$$ justifies the ignorance to them. Not if its my kid, they won't be around in 20 years. The youth activity is going nowhere. Why is it that Rugby and Hockey at a youth level are played without collision? Are those sports any less violent?

If you took the time to read this, thank you. I am here if you have questions. My career focus is in this research.
This is an issue with every sport and even vigorous play as the brain sustains damage on even the simplest of falls.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:42 PM   #42
dfr52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13goyankees13 View Post
I think a lot of concussions could improve with better technique. So many guys lead with their head when running or tackling and put themselves at risk. The longer you wait to teach tackling technique, the more players get used to what they do in flag football and the harder time they'll have learning the safe and proper way to do things.

I know USA Football is partnering with Tip Of The Spear to try to teach better techniques for contact to avoid head injuries. I don't know enough to say how good their techniques are but I'm sure they're better than what the average youth coach is teaching. I'd like to see leagues set rules about technique that ban anything dangerous. Football loves to punish people for doing things dangerous to others but is fine with players putting themselves in danger due to poor technique. I'd like to see leagues create penalties for players who put themselves in danger (for example, leading with the head) and start throwing players out and suspending them if they do it repeatedly.
I think this is a very valid point.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:21 PM   #43
preakness

Well, soccer blows

For kids cut from football
Old 03-10-2018, 12:39 AM   #44
pingbling23

I once had a really bad bike wreck when I was a kid. The government failed me...
Old 03-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #45
Clarka3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astros19 View Post
Do kids under the age of 12 really have the power or explosiveness to worry about concussions? (serious question)
Maybe we should let the under 12's play and stop them once they're big enough to actually do some damage. (sarcasm)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
have you seen an episode of Friday Night Tykes? Some of those kids lay the lumber.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.