Blowout Cards Forums
Wave TUE

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > Sports & Politics

Notices

Sports & Politics This section is for all political sports talk. Regrettably we feel that in some instances there is no way to eliminate politics from football, basketball, and baseball hobbytalk. Do you pretend nothing is happening with the Warriors, Steelers, A's, etc? This section is for all political sports discussion. However, it is for civil discussion only. No insults aimed at members, political parties, or politicians will be tolerated. There is no warning. If you cannot be civil, you will lose your posting privileges on this site.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #26
ND3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
This is one of the best quotes Iíve read in all these political/NFL threads
You mean guys like Chris Long!

PLayers need to get off a knee and actually DO SOMETHING!

Does the protesting start a conversation.......YES! But that isn't enough. Go into your communities and meet with local leaders/officials to voice concerns and how to work to fix them.

Very few will. They will hide behind their $$$$ and take the easy way out. But they will call cry cry cry....when people take offense how they are going about disrespecting the flag of the greatest nation to live in. Go live in another country........highly doubt any would....same with the Hollywood types that were all whining about the POTUS. GO DO SOMETHING and STOP YAPPING ABOUT IT!
Old 10-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #27
silverandblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeechQuest View Post
I see this take a lot, but I would bet the percentage of NFL players who are "putting their time and money into these causes they say are so important" is infinitely higher than the general population.

This "fake activists" thing you speak isn't confined to NFL players, celebrities, etc. Even I complain about things I have no intention of trying to remedy. I can't thing of one person who doesn't, in some form or fashion, do this. Granted I don't really know what you mean by "fake activists", but you get the general idea.

Do you have any idea what a single NFL player did in the offseason? I don't spend time with any of these guys day in and day out to know exactly what they are or are not doing.

Not really directed at you silverandblack, but how many people have verbalized the exact same response that you did and actually know what NFL players do with their time off? I'd have to guess not one person who's said something along the lines of "why don't these guys put their time or money into these causes" has any clue what any NFL player spends their time and/or money on.
I get your point but it goes both ways. Do you know of any players that are out there working with police to better the interactions between police and minorities? I'm not talking about visiting hospitals or schools I'm talking about the specific issues they are protesting. In today's world and the way these athletes want all the attention if they were doing these things it would be all over social media.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #28
corndog

Location: From a table in McDonalds, with lovely fake flowers on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverandblack View Post
I get your point but it goes both ways. Do you know of any players that are out there working with police to better the interactions between police and minorities? I'm not talking about visiting hospitals or schools I'm talking about the specific issues they are protesting. In today's world and the way these athletes want all the attention if they were doing these things it would be all over social media.
Maybe they could do a ride around with units in a high crime area. Maybe bring a change of pants too.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #29
fazzle

The way I look at it, whether or not he meant it in a racially charged way (which, you know, old rich white guy from the south? There's a very real chance he did) he definitely meant it in a way to disrespect the players, and that just seems like a really bad business move to me. If you have employees that are DIRECTLY making you hundreds of millions of dollars, and are clearly coveted by other "companies" (teams) you should probably not try to piss them off.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #30
jdandns

Good point, but I think most NFL owners are so rich from other things, they don't rely on their teams for money. Rather they enjoy owning the team as a prestige thing, since it is a real statement of wealth and power to actually own an NFL team. Many, many people, have tried and failed to get one, believe me, that I can tell you...
Old 10-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #31
silverandblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazzle View Post
The way I look at it, whether or not he meant it in a racially charged way (which, you know, old rich white guy from the south? There's a very real chance he did) he definitely meant it in a way to disrespect the players, and that just seems like a really bad business move to me. If you have employees that are DIRECTLY making you hundreds of millions of dollars, and are clearly coveted by other "companies" (teams) you should probably not try to piss them off.
So all old white men are racist now? That's a bit of a generalization. I'd also say it's the owners that provide the players the opportunity to make themselves millions of dollars. Most of these guys would be working a minimum wage job or worse if they didn't play football.

It wasn't met as disrespect it's a figure of speech that people use all the time. It has zero to do with race which is of course what everything gets turned into these days
Old 10-29-2017, 01:40 AM   #32
pgisback

I hope they do something and the owner just fines them all. This is ridiculous.

Per Adam Schefter
Texans plan group protest; options include kneeling, peeling Texans decal off helmet, raising fists, staying in locker room during anthem.
Nikita Kucherov RCs/On Card Autos
Old 10-29-2017, 01:52 AM   #33
rman112

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgisback View Post

Per Adam Schefter
Texans plan group protest; options include kneeling, peeling Texans decal off helmet, raising fists, staying in locker room during anthem.
What, exactly, is the point? If they think the guy is racist, OK. But I mean, if they're fine with playing for the guy and cashing his checks, I'd say that's pretty far from 'taking the high road'.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:00 AM   #34
pgisback

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman112 View Post
What, exactly, is the point? If they think the guy is racist, OK. But I mean, if they're fine with playing for the guy and cashing his checks, I'd say that's pretty far from 'taking the high road'.
I have no clue. Theyíre just immature children that found a way to get attention. The owner made an accurate statement it seems, haha. I bet it will disappoint though. Like kneeling before the anthem or holding hands or some crap. Itís embarrassing.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:02 AM   #35
fazzle

Quote:
So all old white men are racist now? That's a bit of a generalization. I'd also say it's the owners that provide the players the opportunity to make themselves millions of dollars. Most of these guys would be working a minimum wage job or worse if they didn't play football.

It wasn't met as disrespect it's a figure of speech that people use all the time. It has zero to do with race which is of course what everything gets turned into these days
I didn't say that all old white men are racist. I said that there's a "very real chance" he meant it racially because he's an old rich white man from the south. Which, YES, those attributes absolutely mean there's a higher chance that he could be racist (or have racist tendencies) than just any other regular person you might encounter.

And there absolutely was disrespect meant in that figure of speech. The NFL money making system is a two way street. Yes, he does pay them millions of dollars to play football, and they make him that much back and a very tidy profit on top of it. It's not like they could go sign anyone off the street and make the same money off of them, and if someone like DeAndre Hopkins or D'Onta Foreman (the main two names that have come up in talks about being upset with his comments) decided they didn't want to play for the Texans any more after their contracts were up, or before, there would be plenty of other teams with better (in their eyes) owners that would be happy to snatch them up. It's not as if them no longer playing for the Texans would suddenly destroy their career trajectories. However, by McNair referring to them as the inmates in the prison, he's very clearly trying to throw jabs at the players making statements he doesn't like by insinuating that they're unable to make decisions for themselves and attempting to assert himself as if he has all the power, which is just blatantly untrue.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:32 AM   #36
ILOVEBEER

Quote:

Per Adam Schefter
And the ratings will continue to plummet....
Old 10-29-2017, 02:51 AM   #37
Verufian

Quote:

How do you know this?
Old 10-29-2017, 09:07 AM   #38
jstephens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verufian View Post
How do you know this?
what percentage do you think got engineering degrees while they played in college?
Old 10-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #39
Boo

Quote:

Per Adam Schefter
What a bunch of babies
Old 10-29-2017, 10:34 AM   #40
Dobber2330

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens24 View Post
what percentage do you think went to any classes and got ANY degree while they played in college?
Fixed it for you.
Please note - I do not PM people who have interest in cards as very few people ever return such PM's. All cards are for sale and if you are interested in anything please feel free to send over a PM with an offer. PM's that say, "How much is XXX" or "What is your best price on XXX" without an offer will not be returned.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:40 AM   #41
NeedChapmans

Quote:

Per Adam Schefter
While it was weird to be protesting during the Anthem, I can't imagine actually going out and protesting the owner of your company during work (or really not during work either). Seems like in sports today, every-time someone does something you disagree with (words, actions, whatever), you just protest. Everyone protests everything; the value is diminishing quickly.
Ottomatic- "Facts, especially on 99% white Blowout. If I was Blowout I would delete political threads immediately. If an outsider read one they would vomit and then probably try to get the site shut down, it's that bad."
Old 10-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #42
ILOVEBEER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
While it was weird to be protesting during the Anthem, I can't imagine actually going out and protesting the owner of your company during work (or really not during work either). Seems like in sports today, every-time someone does something you disagree with (words, actions, whatever), you just protest. Everyone protests everything; the value is diminishing quickly.
Most people who don't like their boss, just quit their job. I would fully support these guys quitting. Then they could protest 24/7.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #43
pgisback

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
Yep, players have become way too entitled. Sucks for those in the past that paved the way grueling out these seasons for a tenth of what these players make, and these players are just choosing to destroy the NFL's image. The more money these players make, the more entitled they feel. It's sad. They need a strong leader in charge who refuses to let them take over the brand.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:41 PM   #44
Verufian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens24 View Post
what percentage do you think got engineering degrees while they played in college?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber2330 View Post
Fixed it for you.
I see. So itís not possible to make anything better than minimum wage (or worse) without a college degree.

Why donít you sack up and say what you really mean. Let your true colors speak!
Old 10-29-2017, 04:14 PM   #45
pgisback

40 players kneel. That will show him!! Haha, what children. Fire them all.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:40 PM   #46
ILOVEBEER

Quote:
40 players kneel. That will show him!! Haha, what children. Fire them all.
I doubt anyone one of them will turn away the paychecks!
Old 10-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #47
Orangejello727

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEBEER View Post
I doubt anyone one of them will turn away the paychecks!
None of the 40 will turn away their pay. Just like the owner will refuse to fire them and hire replacements in fear of not making revenue. Goes both ways. The owner needs players for his franchise to make revenue. The players need the owner to pay them to play. Its not a one sided chip holder bargaining unit here.

Want to really show you mean business? Have Mcnair pay out the gaurenteed portions and cut every single person that kneels straight and make that statement. Suffer the consequences of your true beliefs for players and owners. Then take it from there. But it wont happen. Just like you said money matters to players. But it matters even more for owners.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:31 PM   #48
myerscards

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsnsox07 View Post
DeAndre Hopkins is really pi$$ed at him.
If he's this pissed I would leave the team. All bark and no bite.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:06 PM   #49
rman112

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsnsox07 View Post
DeAndre Hopkins is really pi$$ed at him.
224 yards yesterday..

Maybe McNair should ratchet up the racism this week.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:59 PM   #50
NYGiants72

It's just a moronic comment in general. I run an organization with a diverse workforce, and if I ever referred to a situation as "inmates running the prison" I would expect everyone white, black, hispanic, asian, other to feel disrespected and be justifiably pissed at me.

I think one of the big dynamics sports faces is that the majority of owners earned their wealth at a time where employees were seen as vassals and happened to be mostly white anyway. I am not saying McNair is a racist based on that statement, as I think that doing so is a huge logical leap. Just that he is an old man who is out of touch and didn't recognize the obvious outcome of his statement.

Wealth will always create more wealth, so McNair and Jones, will continue to make money in their ventures, but no one with their disposition survives in business these days if they are just coming up. Owners make money by virtue of owning an NFL team no matter what they do or say.

That said, there are certain teams which haven't had the same level or protest, and those seem to be the ones where their ownership tends to be largely active and respected (Steelers aside). I have no idea what happens in locker rooms, but if players thought their ownership was invested in them, their concerns, they would be more likely to stop the public protests because there would be a level of obligation to not cause issues for their management.

I'm in favor of players being able to protest, but at the same time think it is divisive and something I wouldn't want to have my team dong if I owned one. Instead, I'd offer to hear them out and maybe agree to volunteer some time actually contributing to a cause like the Innocence Project with them in lieu of the protests. Again, just my experience, but it goes a long way when you exercise a level of empathy and those you extend it to usually doing enjoy putting you in a bad spot.

Long rant aside, but key point is McNair is a tone-deaf moron who brought this upon himself regardless what you think of the protests.