Blowout Cards Forums
2018 flush

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > Sports & Politics

Notices

Sports & Politics This section is for all political sports talk. Regrettably we feel that in some instances there is no way to eliminate politics from football, basketball, and baseball hobbytalk. Do you pretend nothing is happening with the Warriors, Steelers, A's, etc? This section is for all political sports discussion. However, it is for civil discussion only. No insults aimed at members, political parties, or politicians will be tolerated. There is no warning. If you cannot be civil, you will lose your posting privileges on this site.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #101
VandyCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
You make many excellent points. Yes, I knew someone would call me out for using the term 'free market'. I used it in an attempt to further a point even knowing it wasn't the completely correct situation for it. I knew that I shouldn't have done so as I did and you are right in calling me on it.

I also realize that even in your personal example it isn't a true free market but it certainly isn't when talking about specialized segments such as professional sports. I was mainly trying to convey that the players freely and willingly entered into their current employment terms.

However, you are also correct that freely and willingly is debatable, if they want to play baseball it isn't like the vast majority of them have bargaining power. They are pretty much forced to accept whatever terms are handed to them, whether they are fair or not. Otherwise, give up the dream of playing professional baseball.
I suppose my rejoinder would just be, then why pay them at all? If you're going to pay folks for this at all, I think it is in management and the player's best interest to have the only thing they care about be improvement as a player and not be weighed down by financial concerns. Plus, a lot of very talented people do play for free (or even pay for the privilege) in college. So, if you think that any salary is acceptable provided the person agrees to it with a clear mind, why not just offer zero and tell them to hit the bricks if they disagree?

Also, from what I've read/heard/seen about the Latin American market, I do think sometimes there is the proverbial/actual "gun to their head" to take a particular deal. Certainly the exception, not the rule. I do imagine there is a hopefully small segment of players that signed under significant duress as juveniles, however.

It is an interesting issue to me, and one that I'm glad engenders some interesting conversation. It reminds me a lot of what many of my friends who are academics are dealing with (places are just offering non-tenured, non-guaranteed adjunct jobs that pay peanuts with no benefits). Not unlike ballplayers, they are not exactly a sympathetic group, and also don't have much in the way of marketable skills outside of a university setting.
I collect cards of former Vanderbilt players across all sports. David Price, Sonny Gray, Pedro Alvarez, Carson Fulmer, Ryan Flaherty, Philip Pfeifer, Tony Kemp, Mike Yastrzemski, Bryan Reynolds, MANY more.......
Old 03-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #102
base set

Arguing to be exempted from minimum wage laws is not a good look for MLB, an organization said to be worried about the size of the future fan base.

Perhaps only the MLBPA players themselves could ever really have the leverage to improve the lot of the needed, but-no-MLB-future minor leaguers.

When Clayton Kershaw makes more throwing just 3 pitches than most MiLBer’s make in an entire season, things look a little out of whack to me.

My job skills are priceless. Yours, not so much.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:10 PM   #103
preakness

Hot Sauce was a fine basketball player

He didn’t make much
Old 03-22-2018, 06:56 PM   #104
Cliffroach

Nevermind

Last edited by Cliffroach; 03-22-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:04 PM   #105
Ray27Ray52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffroach View Post
So you’d be ok if tomorrow the owner of where you worked started paying you $7,500 and said your always free to go somewhere else? Slippery slope.
I absolutely would be OK with that. Because I would say no thanks and walk right out the door.
I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm...I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired...I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind..I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:56 PM   #106
Slamdaddy

Wow...the comments are really blowing up on the MLBTradeRumors site. Its all about perspective I reckon.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:55 PM   #107
13goyankees13

From a business point of view, it seems like it could make financial sense to pay players a bit more. Yeah, most of them will go nowhere, but what about guys like Piazza, Pettite, Buehrle, Hafner, Griffey Sr., Dusty Baker, Mark Grace, Oswalt, Smoltz, Sandberg, Saberhagen, Lofton, Canseco, Pujols, Thome, Andre Dawson, Peavy, Kinsler, Hershiser, Mattingly, Jeff Kent, Posada, etc.? All were drafted after the 10th round. The cost savings of 3 years at the league minimum and 3 (or now maybe 4 if you hold them in the minors for a couple weeks) at arbitration prices over free agency prices of comparable players is huge. The loss of having even 1 of those players quit baseball due to low wages is greater than many years of paying an extra million in minor league wages.

Of course that only works if players do quit the minors due to low wages. Most either quit because they realize they're too old and not good enough or because they don't get offered a job. If players with MLB potential who didn't get signing bonuses either quit while in the minors or chose to avoid professional baseball, I think we would see the minor leagues making money. But minor league players aren't willing to quit over wages and that means it will never make economic sense to pay them more.

From a political approach, I like the free market idea but baseball isn't a free market. I'd like to see a rule that any player who does not receive a signing bonus can only be signed to a 1 year contract and can move to other organizations at the end of their contract. That way, teams could steal away players with potential who didn't receive a signing bonus by offering a signing bonus or a higher salary. That way players will be paid what they are actually worth. I agree that the average minor leaguer is worth little to nothing but there are a bunch of guys who are valuable but never got signing bonuses. Open up the market and allow teams to come in and pay them more.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:46 AM   #108
preakness

A player talented enough wouldn’t quit due to low salary
Old 03-23-2018, 09:49 AM   #109
zachtruitt

It's mind boggling that regular folks are taking the side of billionaires rather than the working class. Shows how much people have been brain washed.
The only way the middle class in America has been successful is by collective bargaining because time and time and time again big business/corporations/whatever label you choose have shown that they will do absolutely everything in their power to consolidate power, money and eliminate competition.
Interested in Orioles HOFers and current O's. Oakland Raiders HOFers along with Rich Gannon. I am always looking for any Eastern Shore League (1920's to 1947) baseball memorabilia, please PM if you know of any for sale

Last edited by zachtruitt; 03-23-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #110
preakness

Bobby Bonilla
Old 04-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #111
morningrushnc

Interesting blog/article and thread. I knew minor leaguers weren't paid a whole lot, but this shed some light on a lot of those details that don't normally get reported. I have a question for those of you knowledgable on the subject. Who covers expenses involved with injuries for a minor leaguer? Hypothetical example: Player A is on the last year of his contract and injures himself and needs Tommy John surgery in August. It takes a year to recover. Who pays the medical expenses? Who pays the rehab/PT? Does he continue to collect his salary until he is ready to take the field again, even though his contract terminates at the very beginning of his rehab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachtruitt View Post
It's mind boggling that regular folks are taking the side of billionaires rather than the working class. Shows how much people have been brain washed.
The only way the middle class in America has been successful is by collective bargaining because time and time and time again big business/corporations/whatever label you choose have shown that they will do absolutely everything in their power to consolidate power, money and eliminate competition.
This needs to be repeated ad nauseam until there is some serious wage reform in this country. The wealth gap is increasing, accumulated wealth for top earners is increasing, total debt for the bottom earners is increasing, and the middle class is shrinking. This is all happening because those in power just continue to line their own pockets by screwing over the working class, and they've led the general public to believe that it's good for them.